Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

About Errin and it's universe.

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Helsa wrote: »
    Well maybe that's a salt lake?

Highly unlikely since in Emain, you get water directly from the lake and that same water flows to Sen Mag.
    The only possibility is that agricultural runoff from Emain would flow down there, but that would assume that there is farmland in the areas between maps (particularly the southern side) other than the farmland on the northern and eastern side of the city.

Now Abb Neagh is interesting, because it is a freshwater lake since it has catfish, carp and sweetfish, yet there are no visible streams that feed the lake nor is there streams that flow out from the lake. The fact that it is clean fresh water and that there's a lake monster would mean that it is a deep lake that not only gathers the rainfall, but it has to be fed water from underground.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited March 3, 2020

Highly unlikely since in Emain, you get water directly from the lake and that same water flows to Sen Mag.
    The only possibility is that agricultural runoff from Emain would flow down there, but that would assume that there is farmland in the areas between maps (particularly the southern side) other than the farmland on the northern and eastern side of the city.

Now Abb Neagh is interesting, because it is a freshwater lake since it has catfish, carp and sweetfish, yet there are no visible streams that feed the lake nor is there streams that flow out from the lake. The fact that it is clean fresh water and that there's a lake monster would mean that it is a deep lake that not only gathers the rainfall, but it has to be fed water from underground.

I realize that Erinn is not earth, but the water cycle is the water cycle. If a lake does not have a drain, it's a salt lake, period. The bard lake is a pond, yeah they pretend it's a lake. Ponds overflow during rain and that flow eventually finds somewhere to go keeping the pond fresh.

I realize that Erinn is not earth, but the water cycle is the water cycle. If a lake does not have a drain, it's a salt lake, period. The bard lake is a pond, yeah they pretend it's a lake. Ponds overflow during rain and that flow eventually finds somewhere to go keeping the pond fresh.

But you can catch taitinn carp and brifne carp in Sen Mag lake, both are freshwater fish.
    I'm pretty sure Rundal dungeon acts as the drain for both regions, that's the only thing that can explain why the water is fresh.

Speaking of drains, the Adelia stream flows north south, east west into Tir from the mountains, but is cut off by more mountains unable to proceed into Cuilin. No pond forms, which is interesting where does that water go? The stream on the map also flows the opposite direction north out to sea, what where does all the water that flow southwest go to?
  • HelsaHelsa
    But you can catch taitinn carp and brifne carp in Sen Mag lake, both are freshwater fish.
    I'm pretty sure Rundal dungeon acts as the drain for both regions, that's the only thing that can explain why the water is fresh.

How do you know if they are freshwater only fish. In that situation, Rundal Dungeon would have to have an outlet to the sea or it would fill up, since unlike a salt lake it would not be able to evaporate excess water.
    Speaking of drains, the Adelia stream flows north south, east west into Tir from the mountains, but is cut off by more mountains unable to proceed into Cuilin. No pond forms, which is interesting where does that water go? The stream on the map also flows the opposite direction north out to sea, what where does all the water that flow southwest go to?

The answer to all the questions is that Nexon messed up, of course. They should have placed the water fall to the south end of the Corrib Valley map, that would have solved that entire watersheds strangeness. For the Tir Chonaill area watershed, another misplaced water fall messes things up. But I digress . . .

For the Tir Chonail watershed either it is yet another watershed flowing in-land. On the map the river appears to widen a bit suggesting yet another salt lake. As for the northern part either it all flows south or the source is somewhere just North of Tir Chonail and that is, in fact two rivers.

Final possible explanation for everything . . . it's magic.
    Kensamaofmari

How do you know if they are freshwater only fish. In that situation, Rundal Dungeon would have to have an outlet to the sea or it would fill up, since unlike a salt lake it would not be able to evaporate excess water.

The answer to all the questions is that Nexon messed up, of course. They should have placed the water fall to the south end of the Corrib Valley map, that would have solved that entire watersheds strangeness. For the Tir Chonaill area watershed, another misplaced water fall messes things up. But I digress . . .

For the Tir Chonail watershed either it is yet another watershed flowing in-land. On the map the river appears to widen a bit suggesting yet another salt lake. As for the northern part either it all flows south or the source is somewhere just North of Tir Chonail and that is, in fact two rivers.

Final possible explanation for everything . . . it's magic.

It could flow as underground groundwater, it could be why Dunbarton has sufficient water supplies. Yes, Dunbarton gets a lot of rain, but I think that they underground streams could very well be what supplies them, especially since they have a dried terrestrial stream, it is possible that it could flow underground.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 5, 2020
    "It's magic" works better.

"It's magic" or "Ferghus" is the easy way out in Mabinogi logic.
  • HelsaHelsa

It's not that it's the "easy" way out. They messed up their world design, so they ,might as well say it.

It's not that it's the "easy" way out. They messed up their world design, so they ,might as well say it.

FERGHUS!
  • HelsaHelsa
    MESSY FERGHUS
    Massey-Ferguson-Logo.jpg
    MESSY FERGHUS
    Massey-Ferguson-Logo.jpg

Edern's response when you ask him about Adelia Stream

What makes you go about asking for the name of a stream in Tir Chonaill?
    Hmm... Perhaps you...
    Ha. Is it because of Ferghus? He did study under my tutelage years ago.
    I heard on several occasions that he had started a Blacksmith's Shop in front of the Adelia Stream. But that clumsy kid probably only ruined the equipment of his customers.
  • HelsaHelsa
    MESSY FERGHUS
    Massey-Ferguson-Logo.jpg

Edern's response when you ask him about Adelia Stream

What makes you go about asking for the name of a stream in Tir Chonaill?
    Hmm... Perhaps you...
    Ha. Is it because of Ferghus? He did study under my tutelage years ago.
    I heard on several occasions that he had started a Blacksmith's Shop in front of the Adelia Stream. But that clumsy kid probably only ruined the equipment of his customers.

m.
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    This is an interesting thread. Just thought I'd revive it with a few of my thoughts.

1.The maps of Erinn are somewhat incomplete. There are the areas we roam around in, and then there are areas between them which we never see. If you look at the transitions between areas, they often look very different depending on which adjoining area you look from. In particular, Sidhe Sneachta appears to be connected by some sort of portal; I don't believe it necessarily has to be directly north or Tir at all.
    I guess the best way to gauge the distance between these areas would be to rely on the moongate map, if you trust it for that sort of thing.

2.Speaking of that river in Corrib Valley and what's on the other side, I think that clearing Shakespeare and Bella lived in is over there. I'm not sure this is ever explicitly mentioned (might have to do G16 again and see), but it gave me a Corrib Valley vibe for some reason.

3.Remember, the fomors use dungeons to move around. I was under the impression that they were mostly stuck in the Other World, and that they used dungeons to launch attacks on Erinn before the goddess sealed them with her statues.
    But, if a dungeon can act as a bridge between worlds, why not as a link between different geographic regions?
    This is an interesting thread. Just thought I'd revive it with a few of my thoughts.

1.The maps of Erinn are somewhat incomplete. There are the areas we roam around in, and then there are areas between them which we never see. If you look at the transitions between areas, they often look very different depending on which adjoining area you look from. In particular, Sidhe Sneachta appears to be connected by some sort of portal; I don't believe it necessarily has to be directly north or Tir at all.
    I guess the best way to gauge the distance between these areas would be to rely on the moongate map, if you trust it for that sort of thing.

2.Speaking of that river in Corrib Valley and what's on the other side, I think that clearing Shakespeare and Bella lived in is over there. I'm not sure this is ever explicitly mentioned (might have to do G16 again and see), but it gave me a Corrib Valley vibe for some reason.

3.Remember, the fomors use dungeons to move around. I was under the impression that they were mostly stuck in the Other World, and that they used dungeons to launch attacks on Erinn before the goddess sealed them with her statues.
    But, if a dungeon can act as a bridge between worlds, why not as a link between different geographic regions?

You mean all the paths that you see when going to the next map right?