Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Weeb Thread (Anime/Manga Discussion)

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Sherri wrote: »
    Dropkick On My Devil Season 2 is out!! Legit the whole season. They drop(kick)ed the whole season.
    And with that I have a new demon waifu..who I can't find any pictures on the internet of. You've failed me yet again, internet.

Unfortunately, S1 is on Amazon Prime.
    But I was surprised they put all 11 episodes up on Crunchy, available to premium users only of course at this time.
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Sherri wrote: »
    Dropkick On My Devil Season 2 is out!! Legit the whole season. They drop(kick)ed the whole season.
    And with that I have a new demon waifu..who I can't find any pictures on the internet of. You've failed me yet again, internet.

Unfortunately, S1 is on Amazon Prime.
    But I was surprised they put all 11 episodes up on Crunchy, available to premium users only of course at this time.

*Whistles in pirate*
    Yikes that does suck.

Also I wonder if I can post my Anilist profile here.. hmmm
    Sai
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Honestly, I have gotten tired of most "serious" anime, likely because much of community for anime proselytize certain anime as some "mature" and "sophisticated", when most of it is just fanfiction written by and for young adolescent teenagers.

Unpopular opinion, but I do not really like Shield Hero, or Raphtalia. To me, Raphtalia and Malty may be described as polar opposites, but I see them as two sides of the same coin. Their existence hinges around their interactions with Naofumi that makes them nothing more than 1-dimensional caricatures. Malty is an evil b-word because she just is, whereas Raphtalia is good and angelic soul because that who she is.

Now, I know what you are saying, "But Naofumi treated Raphtalia with kindness" and that is true...over a period of an episode and a half, because developing a believable relationship between two characters is something to be rushed and skipped over.

In the end, I dub Raphtalia as symptomatic of what I call "Waifu Syndrome"; it works a bit like the manic pixie dream girl archetype. We basically got a character, usually female, whose every trait is meant to appeal to the fanbase, a waifu. Any flaw she has exists to make her more charming instead of more grounded.

And when done poorly enough, what the author is doing with the character is pretty blatant; they're suppose to appeal to a certain demographic, to be as lovable as possible. Yet, to me, this is simply just manipulative marketing on the level of Minions, a curated image by a PR team to convince me "Why I should love this person".

It just doesn't work for me. It's too obvious that Raphtalia is meant to be the perfect waifu while Malty is meant to be the most evilest B-word that ever lived, and I feel honestly ambivalent to both as characters. They're not, they're products to be sold to you first, and characters second.
    WolfsingerKensamaofmariSherri
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Okay. *adds Bliss into ignore list*
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited April 14, 2020
    Greta wrote: »
    Okay. *adds Bliss into ignore list*

You are? I am flattered at how long I stayed off it till now! :D To be fair, I am honestly really stupid. I laughed quite a bit watching Aho Girl.
    Kensamaofmari
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Honestly, I have gotten tired of most "serious" anime, likely because much of community for anime proselytize certain anime as some "mature" and "sophisticated", when most of it is just fanfiction written by and for young adolescent teenagers.

For once I actually kinda agree with you. I've not watched Shield Hero or heard of Raphtalia- haven't been paying too much attention to the market recently, because most of it has seemed like the exact same thing and I've been too busy to see otherwise. That and I recently just rewatched FMA:B which has left me satisfied and raised my bar for a good cast and story again XD
    Too many waifus and husbandos running around. Heaven help us all.
    I don't HATE those kinds of things, sometimes its nice to just sit down with what's effectively cotton candy, but I've really been having trouble finding stories and characters I can like, and its disappointing.

Also congrats on staying off the ignore list that long, that's pretty impressive.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Meh, heh, heh....
    bZkFtx8.png
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Wolfsinger
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    edited April 15, 2020
    Habimaru wrote: »
    Meh, heh, heh....
    bZkFtx8.png

....that's a very accurate image for this actually XDD
    Wonder how long its gonna take him to kiss that many brides
    Habimaru
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Habimaru wrote: »
    Meh, heh, heh....
    bZkFtx8.png

Virtual kisses.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger

Virtual kisses.

I just have this mental image of an assembly line
    ....and then, trying not to kiss one bride too long to make the others jealous, or make it so short the woman's offended.
    That guy's basically invited the wrath of demons under his roof with that many wives, just saying xD
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    HIGH TIER ANIMU~
    kAMkQwA.jpg
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Sai wrote: »
    HIGH TIER ANIMU~
    kAMkQwA.jpg

Gacha Life or whatever that thing is called came first to mind-
  • NemerekoNemereko
    Mabinogi Rep: 405
    I would like to present: Usagi Drop / Bunny Drop

usagi-drop.jpg

A short and delightful slice of life anime with 11 + 4 episodes. It's generally light-hearted but still features some serious content.
    Bunny Drop (うさぎドロップ, Usagi Doroppu) is a Japanese josei manga series by Yumi Unita. The plot follows thirty-year-old Daikichi as he becomes the guardian of Rin, the illegitimate six-year-old daughter of his grandfather.
    ~ Wikipedia
    Although I highly recommend the series, I ,personally, didn't like the manga (or at least the books after the time skip).
    It kind of destroys the growing family bond between Rin and Daikichi by both of them falling in love with each other and, eventually, deciding they want to get married and have children together.
    There is a part of the story that reveals that they are in fact not blood related but I still don't like the idea of them having more than a father-daughter dynamic, especially since Rin lived with Daikichi since she was six.
    Kensamaofmari
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Made in Abyss is a feel good family, wholesome anime. You all should totally watch it!
    Sherri
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger

Ahh....feels mate. Rest in peace for the second time, Hughes.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Made in Abyss is a feel good family, wholesome anime. You all should totally watch it!

Especially the movie!
  • GretaGreta
    Watched Weathering With You yesterday... What a bizarre ending... Don't know how i feel about it.
    KensamaofmariSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    So no ahegao I'm assuming.
  • GretaGreta
    For what?