Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

High Ping as an EU Player

ReavlusReavlus
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in Technical Support
So I've played this game years ago and that time, I couldn't appreciate this game IMO. I wanted to try it again, make a new character and really check this game out again. But my connection concerns me, I'll rubberband all over the place and sometimes it can be crucial. It will be the same thing like years ago and I cannot fix it by getting a better connection as I cannot lower the distance from me to the server. I play in Hungary.

What can I do to make the experience less painful? Like what kind of talent is less painful?
Also, is using a VPN allowed? Because I heard that it reduces ping for others.

Thank you for the answers.

Comments

• HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    The rubber-banding should no longer be an issue now; keep in mind that, even when I lived only a state or two away from the servers, even my own characters rubber-banded due to former latency issues that used to affect everyone connecting/connected to the servers, not just EU-players.

Lowering ping is usually done for latency-sensitive games/programmes via a process called : Disabling Nagle Algorithm

I do not have any particular feed-back to give in terms of the use of VPNs but I have difficulty believing that it would lower ping unless you went through a paid/dedicated non-free VPN-service. I do not remember reading anywhere in the ToS/EULA about restrictions on VPNs but there is a certain caveat that is specifically worded as follows : «Use of any third-party services or content is at your own risk and is subject to the third party’s terms and conditions. Under no circumstances will Nexon be responsible or liable in connection with your reliance on or use of third-party services or content.»

Mainly in/at the asian-countries are people required to be registered with SSNs (that are typically connected to mobile-devices) before they can even create an account anywhere on anything (I see all of asia as being something of a nanny surveillance-state, even Singapore, despite S'Pore's stellar reputation for very low to near-non-existent corruption within its government-system).
    Reavlus wrote: »
    So I've played this game years ago and that time, I couldn't appreciate this game IMO. I wanted to try it again, make a new character and really check this game out again. But my connection concerns me, I'll rubberband all over the place and sometimes it can be crucial. It will be the same thing like years ago and I cannot fix it by getting a better connection as I cannot lower the distance from me to the server. I play in Hungary.

What can I do to make the experience less painful? Like what kind of talent is less painful?
    Also, is using a VPN allowed? Because I heard that it reduces ping for others.

Thank you for the answers.