Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why Do You Stick Around ? [Poll]

Comments

• MilfeulleMilfeulle
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    The only reason I came back is to catch up the story :p
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Honestly, tell me what other game out there allows you to be EVERYTHING?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    We stick around because after 12 years the glue has definitely cured.

Like gum on your shoe....

Queue the film noir music.
    Wolfsinger
  • PectylPectyl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    I tend to dip in and out, but i think it's a combination of nostalgia and the fact that i haven't found anything like Mabinogi...yet.
  • PectylPectyl
    Crims wrote: »
    Honestly, tell me what other game out there allows you to be EVERYTHING?

Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn? but that's not a fair comparison of course, one is a free to play game while the other is a subscription based game,
    But if we are only talking free to play games, then there isn't really anything that mimics or comes close to the freedom Mabinogi offers.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited May 10, 2020
    Sunk cost fallacy.

I can't move on till mabi dies or me. Which ever happens first.
  • PectylPectyl
    Rhey wrote: »
    Sunk cost fallacy.

I just wish they would give us a remake already, this has been one of Nexons longest running games alongside Maplestory 1, it blows my mind why they haven't done that yet.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Pectyl wrote: »
    Sunk cost fallacy.

I just wish they would give us a remake already, this has been one of Nexons longest running games alongside Maplestory 1, it blows my mind why they haven't done that yet.

Because it will die in 1 year like Maplestory 2 did.
  • PectylPectyl
    Greta wrote: »
    Sunk cost fallacy.

Keyword "remake"
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    The reason I stick around is because there is no other MMO like this game.

"Become what ever you want" "Use everything you like"

Game is pretty original and iconic in its own way.

No class restrictions, no level restriction on gear (actually VERY rare), and clothing/gear is not locked onto a player unless personalized. A real freedom to make what you want your character to be.

You become stronger by training skills instead of just "leveling" which made having a higher number of a level means absolutely nothing but only with the bonus stats from total level from shine of eweca.

The NPCs have depth and rememberable (Just wish your relations with them stays instead of them forgetting you nearly instantly)

The combat is "unique" and decent although time shows its age when Devcat show that old times just can't fit with newer times (G22+)

There are a handful of features that make it stand out as a social MMO just wish to see more added along with some revisited patches and updates.

Fashion is good (Can't say to VERY old fashion which never been touched ever) "Look at you NPC shops with highly polygon designed clothing and gear"

So yea I only stuck around because new games so far within our reach just can't compare with this game even if they are more "fun" but lacking in what Mabinogi has. Although I will soon play this game a lot less with future upcoming games on the way. Can't say I will quit Mabinogi because I know I will return someday. xD
  • GretaGreta
    Greta wrote: »
    Sunk cost fallacy.

Keyword "remake"

Yes.
  • roseangelroseangel
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    I voted "nostalgia" since that's the main reason, but I just don't like any other MMO systems as much as I like Mabinogi's. Also because I sank so much money into this game I gotta stay I think I sold my soul by accident
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    I have been trying new mmos on my spare time and none of them ever come close to giving you as much freedom as mabi does. tried Final Fantasy 14 mostly cause my brother is a huge fan of it and while I can admit it is a well put together game with a lot to offer it is just not my style. mabi offers even more freedom to be whatever you want plus it is free to play. only major downsides to mabi are bugs and glitches, outdated graphics, old engine that should be replaced, and low population but everything else about mabi just feels better. biggest reason I could never get into FF14 is the combat system is so boring, idc if players say it gets better around lvl 50. the fact that it stays slow and boring for that long while being overwhelmed with quests is bound to drive to a few new players away. Mabinogi is that fun but dangerously addicting game some people warn you about before you play it, but in most cases once you play mabi you get hooked into staying. you can run all you want and take a break from the game but mabi will pull you back in sooner or later:

ddwzyty-96d9f79d-c1f0-4ce0-8b6b-74de357fd0fa.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDM1ZGJhZWMtYTA3Yi00Y2ZjLThlZjQtN2ZmZDZiODY3OTg4XC9kZHd6eXR5LTk2ZDlmNzlkLWMxZjAtNGNlMC04YjZiLTc0ZGUzNTdmZDBmYS5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.ST39PPhRiyiZLuQcteE76oRTaNLuqJhpAHa64sRuZKk

КалашниковWolfsingerPectyl
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    The engine can't be replaced. People need to start understanding this.
    PectylKensamaofmari
  • КалашниковКалашников
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,300
    Am I the only one that prefers Mabinogi's graphics on a purely surface level? I always see that as a downside (that it's blocky anime, stiff hair, old textures) but it gets the point across nicely. BDO is an uncanny valley, blurry mess to my eyes.

Other than that I like what Negumiko said.
    WolfsingerPectyl
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380

Why's that?
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875

Asking from a purely curious point of view, as someone with very little experience in coding, engineering or marketing:
    If the engine really is something they couldn't replace, would it really be difficult to potentially remake it similarly but on a better system, or is that more cost-ineffective?
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065

Asking from a purely curious point of view, as someone with very little experience in coding, engineering or marketing:
    If the engine really is something they couldn't replace, would it really be difficult to potentially remake it similarly but on a better system, or is that more cost-ineffective?

They likely had thought about starting from scratch with Mabinogi for a new engine but failed due to high time and cost that came with it. Although I bet that is how they came up with the idea of Mabinogi mobile.

Only a "guess" not a fact.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 12, 2020
    Alshian wrote: »

They likely had thought about starting from scratch with Mabinogi for a new engine but failed due to high time and cost that came with it. Although I bet that is how they came up with the idea of Mabinogi mobile.

Only a "guess" not a fact.

Basically the engine we are using is obsolete and has been for YEARS. People tend to forget this fact every couple years and need to be reminded. They can't just change the engine without having to REMAKE the entire bloody game - from ground up. This game is so robust and integrated that in order to do what you are proposing - they might as well make an entirely new game. Which is never going to happen because making a new game obviously would take time/effort/money. Something that was toyed with in the past but ultimately dropped.

And the cute little mobile game does not count guys. Mabi mobile is purely an effigy to the real deal.

What we have right now is all we are going to get and the only thing that they can do for us is continue to explore the existing code and make innovations to an obsolete system. There is no changing the engine and transferring everyone's character's over to it.

They don't even have the original coders anymore. They were all phased out over a decade ago. There was a lot of controversy during that time too. Essentially the entire team was replaced. So now all you got are these little script kiddies putting different skins over stuff and marketing as *new* to us. smh.

Don't get me wrong I love this game. But their creativity has a limit because of the system we are stuck on and we are stuck.
    PectylWolfsinger
  • GretaGreta
    edited May 12, 2020
    Putting new engine to the game means they would need to re-write the entire game's script. There's literally not enough time or resources to do that, might as well make entire new game as sequel or something lol.