Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Homestead Elegant Lotus Healing Bathtub

JJJJ
Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
in General Chat
DK5QWpI.png

So despite the description, this does NOT heal injuries and fatigue. A friend assumed it worked liked the hot spring and bought 3 of them. It's just a regular homestead seat.

Comments

• КалашниковКалашников
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,300
    Why didn't they test after buying 1? I guess that's the downside to using flowery language for print ad.
    Radiant DawnWolfsinger
  • GypsySpiritGypsySpirit
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,340
    Every gacha that has came out over the past year has had homestead items to put in or sit on. They all come out with their own item describtion, what made this any different?
    GretaSherriRadiant DawnWolfsinger
  • JJJJ
    edited May 15, 2020
    Why didn't they test after buying 1? I guess that's the downside to using flowery language for print ad.

They were stacked together in the auction house at a lower price that the rest.

Mabi6 wrote: »
    Every gacha that has came out over the past year has had homestead items to put in or sit on. They all come out with their own item describtion, what made this any different?

I pointed this out and even tested it, might not have noticed for a while if I had said nothing. I just want to try to prevent others from making the same mistake.
  • GypsySpiritGypsySpirit
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,340
    At least you were there for your friend, it would be cool if they implemented that as a homestead prop though.
    Sherri
  • КалашниковКалашников
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,300
    JJ wrote: »

They were stacked together in the auction house at a lower price that the rest.

I see. If they no longer want, it's probably not difficult to make profit from this, anyway.
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited May 15, 2020
    This isn't the first time they've released deceptive homestead decorations. I know there's been at least one item which claims to increase storage space:

QeqT2r7.png

KAT6ozk.png

bZHwCL1.png
    Greta
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Are all the items, referenced in imagery shown in this thread, items paid for with NX or pon, or are they such things as event items?
  • MaiaMaia
    I think the ones I posted were from events. The OP posted a gacha item though.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 16, 2020
    Maia wrote: »

The text is, let's say, misleading and therefore it is not surprising that it will lead to disappointment. In the case of event items, since they are not initially acquired via real-world commerce, it is not product misrepresentation, since they do not meet the requirement of actually being a product. In the case of the gatchapon item, it may or may not be the case. It is a product but is received by a random act. Legally, that may or may not make a difference. I'm not familiar enough with the law or American legal precedent on these matters to say with certainty; my gut says that randomness is irrelevant. I can pass on a personal anecdote regarding confusing text from a genuine Nexon product and how I ultimately gained satisfaction.

Years ago, I purchased a pair of style tab invisibility gloves. The way the item was described, at the time, could have been interpreted that they would make your hands or whole arms invisible. What they actually do is hide what gloves/gauntlets you are wearing (and possible what you are holding, but I don't remember). So, I bought it, thinking that if I bought the whole set I could run around constantly invisible; neato mosquito. I only had enough to buy the gloves, so I figured I would do this in stages. I figured running around with no arms or stumps for arms would be kinda silly looking and get a few laughs with my friends and guild-mates. Well, it didn't work as I thought. When I was in high school we had a field trip down to the law courts to watch an afternoon of activity in small-claims court. One thing I took away from that was, that for contracts to be valid both parts have to be of the same mind and have the same understanding of obligations and requirements of the contract. In this case, the text describing the item lead me to expect one thing and not the other. As it was written, reasonably it could be concluded to expect what I expected. So, I made a ticket to complain, and asked for my pon back (I think it was bought with pon back then) and have them remove the item from my possession. Since they are virtual digital items, and not actual material things, I figured it would not be a problem at all. Tech support, stalled on the matter. I stayed persistent. Assuming Nexon's goal was to never undo the transaction, in that regard then the agent made a mistake. In an attempt to be "diplomatic", mistakenly they acknowledged that the text could be interpreted the way that I, in fact, did. Initially, I took this as a sign that the issue would soon be resolved in my favor, but they continued to stall. Finally, I sent an e-mail, once again explaining how the sale was conducted under conditions of differing understanding between seller and buyer, and pointed out that the agent (the "official" representative of Nexon in this transaction had acknowledged that) and dictated "what needs to happen now". Finally, they complied. My pon was returned to me, but they did NOT remove the item. I could have kept it or sold it. Instead, I destroyed it, as I felt morally obligated to do so. I e-mailed them back that I had received my pon, that the item had not been removed, that in the interest of "fair-play" and to demonstrate no dishonest intent on my part, that I had destroyed the item, and that I was satisfied, and finally thanked them.

Since, then I have spent many hundreds of dollars on this game. If not for the agent's "mistake" leading to my satisfaction, I'm fairly certain they would have gotten no more money from me.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Gachapons were designed to have their share of disappointments.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 20, 2020

Disappointment is a state of mind only; ask any Buddhist. You can buy a whole bunch of gachapon to get a particular item. The more you buy the better your chance. But if you don't get it, you still have plenty of items to sell your way into the Brahman economic caste of this game. And then you can just buy the item you want with gold.
    Kensamaofmari
    Helsa wrote: »

Disappointment is a state of mind only; ask any Buddhist. You can buy a whole bunch of gachapon to get a particular item. The more you buy the better your chance. But if you don't get it, you still have plenty of items to sell your way into the Brahman economic caste of this game. And then you can just buy the item you want with gold.

I meant gachapons in general, not specifically for electronic games.
  • MaiaMaia
    edited May 20, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »

The text is, let's say, misleading and therefore it is not surprising that it will lead to disappointment. In the case of event items, since they are not initially acquired via real-world commerce, it is not product misrepresentation,

I don't think I ever really said it was product misrepresentation and really neither did the OP. Nobody is claiming "false advertising" here, just complaining about the misleading descriptions. At least, that's all I'm doing. I wish the items did as the wordings suggested (IE: offered some sort of healing bonuses for the hot tub or increased storage in your homestead for the others).

I think it's more of a translation issue (or I'd like to think that). Still, I do wish someone would proof read stuff like this and make sure that it's consistent with how the item functions in the game.

As for disappointment... disappointment is based entirely around expectation. Generally, expectations are somewhere along the lines of "I'll break even or better" when it comes to gambling (gacha included). However, the reality is that gambling is designed to lose more often than gain (for the gambler). Therefore, the outcome is less than the expectation which causes disappointment. Even if you get "garbage" from your gachapon drops, the items are generally not going to sell for what you paid into the lottery (and thus, wont afford you that grand prize item you wanted).

If your expectation had been to lose money and not get the grand prize item, you wouldn't be disappointed and would likely be delighted to break even or come out positive. However, with that expectation.... why would you gamble at all? Which is why people with that realistic expectation probably gamble less and/or in smaller amounts.

On the matter of the original topic, my expectation is that items in a game will behave as they are described. To be fair, this expectation isn't really realistic for Mabinogi which relatively consistently suffers from inconsistent wording. This, however, creates disappointment when my expectations are unmet (whether realistic or not). I agree that disappointment is a state of mind, and like most states of mind (if not all) they can be overcome when recognized.
    JJ
  • JJJJ
    edited May 21, 2020
    I don't think I ever really said it was product misrepresentation and really neither did the OP. Nobody is claiming "false advertising" here, just complaining about the misleading descriptions. At least, that's all I'm doing. I wish the items did as the wordings suggested (IE: offered some sort of healing bonuses for the hot tub or increased storage in your homestead for the others).

I think it's more of a translation issue (or I'd like to think that). Still, I do wish someone would proof read stuff like this and make sure that it's consistent with how the item functions in the game.

As for disappointment... disappointment is based entirely around expectation. Generally, expectations are somewhere along the lines of "I'll break even or better" when it comes to gambling (gacha included). However, the reality is that gambling is designed to lose more often than gain (for the gambler). Therefore, the outcome is less than the expectation which causes disappointment. Even if you get "garbage" from your gachapon drops, the items are generally not going to sell for what you paid into the lottery (and thus, wont afford you that grand prize item you wanted).

If your expectation had been to lose money and not get the grand prize item, you wouldn't be disappointed and would likely be delighted to break even or come out positive. However, with that expectation.... why would you gamble at all? Which is why people with that realistic expectation probably gamble less and/or in smaller amounts.

On the matter of the original topic, my expectation is that items in a game will behave as they are described. To be fair, this expectation isn't really realistic for Mabinogi which relatively consistently suffers from inconsistent wording. This, however, creates disappointment when my expectations are unmet (whether realistic or not). I agree that disappointment is a state of mind, and like most states of mind (if not all) they can be overcome when recognized.

Very well put. People should only gamble if they know the odds are strongly in their favour (It's onyl a rB enchant, that's 90% success rate. Is it really worth paying 10m+ for an enchant protection pot?) or just for the thrill/fun of it (bet 25m on solo'ing peaca abyss with 5k total level). Either way, always make sure you're prepared to lose everything you've gambled.
    This is why I've never bought a gacha, but have bought outfit bags. Anyone else think they should bring these back?

In the case of this specific gacha item, I don't think it was particularly unclear, I assumed it was just a general description until I was (wrongfully) told otherwise by another player.
  • HelsaHelsa
    It's not quite the same though. Yes, there is randomness involved, but in gambling "the house always wins" because in gambling if you fail you get absolutely nothing; you spend money on a chance and get absolutely nothing. A Gachapon isn't like that; technically you always win, but there the distinction is how well you win; when you "lose" you still get something. Granted, it's likely to be something that you weren't interested in having, but you can sell it, because somebody will be willing to pay something for it. Walmart makes tons of money by selling dinky garbage, but they sell a lot of it. So the more gacha you buy the more chances you get but also the more garbage you have to sell. Who are the richest folks in Mabinogi anyway; the folks that buy gachapon regularly. And they are rich by selling all their fails and duplicates. You can't make a few billion in gold by just running content with OP gachapon stuff, unless you take a long long time to do it.
    The design of a gachapon is that you will always get something, which is why I reject the notion that bureaucrats and lawmakers want to label it as gambling.

A consumer buys a gachapon and gets something in it in exchange. It may not always be the grand prize, but you will get something.

In gambling, it is designed where you do lose.

If gachas can be labeled as gambling, so should everything else that we buy and consume. Not all goods are created equally, some people may get a bad product.

In the end, the labeling and the attempts to label gachapons as gambling is all just a political game for governments to leech off the profits of the business.

---
    Now putting deceptive info on an item description on the other hand is not good in the sense, that consumers could sue the seller for false advertisement. I remember there were some items where it actually let's people know it doesn't actually have a certain function. It is something that these items should have.
  • JJJJ
    The design of a gachapon is that you will always get something, which is why I reject the notion that bureaucrats and lawmakers want to label it as gambling.

A consumer buys a gachapon and gets something in it in exchange. It may not always be the grand prize, but you will get something.

If gachas can be labeled as gambling, so should everything else that we buy and consume. Not all goods are created equally, some people may get a bad product.

In the end, the labeling and the attempts to label gachapons as gambling is all just a political game for governments to leech off the profits of the business.

---
    Now putting deceptive info on an item description on the other hand is not good in the sense, that consumers could sue the seller for false advertisement. I remember there were some items where it actually let's people know it doesn't actually have a certain function. It is something that these items should have.

Pretty much anything is a gamble. Crossing the street is risking your life just because you want to be somewhere else. Ironically, as you said, gachas guarantee a win. One of the few things in the world that isn't a gamble is being banned in some places for being called a gamble. Particularly digital gachas since you're not even risking getting a faulty product.

To live a life without gambling... board your windows up, the sun is bad for your health. And always wear a straight jacket so safe from yourself.
    JJ wrote: »

---

Pretty much anything is a gamble. Crossing the street is risking your life just because you want to be somewhere else. Ironically, as you said, gachas guarantee a win. One of the few things in the world that isn't a gamble is being banned in some places for being called a gamble. Particularly digital gachas since you're not even risking getting a faulty product.

To live a life without gambling... board your windows up, the sun is bad for your health. And always wear a straight jacket so safe from yourself.

Boarding yourself up at home also has its risks.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    The Road Not Taken
    By Robert Frost  

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,