Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New Talent: Thief

Sphyra21Sphyra21
Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
edited February 9, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
Odd that we don't have a thief talent and I'd like to thank my bro for his input on this idea ^^>
Thief talent would focus on mobility and speed. Dual Wielding would be available to elves and if that's not acceptable (idk why it wouldn't be, even giants get to dual wield) elves could be restricted to dual wielding daggers and/or short swords. Personally I like the daggers idea since that focuses on speed.

Stats associated with thief: Dex and Int. Also a new stat Speed.

New skills associated with the Thief Talent:
*Distraction - creates an "object" that enemies lock on to and aggro allowing the player to move about somewhat undetected.
*Quick Escape - gives the player a massive speed boost to outrun enemies.
*Trickster - fool your enemies into thinking you are one of them and strike when their back is turned! Once you strike though, your disguise won't work anymore.
*Confusion - your enemies have turned on each other! But careful! They're merely lashing out at whatever moves including you!
*Thief's Intuition - this would actually fall under the Actions tab and can only be used a set number of times per real life day. A good thief knows what they'll find inside a treasure chest. This action allows the player to see what is inside the end chest(s) of a dungeon or shadow mission, before opening it. Now see why I restricted it to use per real life day?

and I KNOW I had more skills in mind for this but they're escaping me right now. I'll add 'em as I remember 'em!

Edit: added 1 more skill and an action!
SamuelalexDarkpixie99BerryswirlIchigo015
  1. Want this talent/class?37 votes
    1. simple answer: YES
       32% (12 votes)
    2. No...
       22% (8 votes)
    3. Nah, but please implement dual wielding for elves (restrict to daggers or not)
       14% (5 votes)
    4. Sure but might as well open dual wielding equally to all races
       32% (12 votes)

Comments

• SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Dual wielding should be available for everyone. As an elf I am at a huge disadvantage because humans can dual wield beam swords and quickly outmatch me damage wise. Maybe also have a dagger mastery class to give boosts for damage as you rank it up using the class specialty weapon. The skills sound useful to get out of tight situations such as multi-aggro.

+1 from me ^^
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    lol thank you and i feel ya! I'm an elf and dual wielding is only possible thru the chef's passion but it doesn't count towards DW even on humans.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    A thief class might actually make daggers a weapon players can actually have a use for. Wouldn't be surprised to see it function similar to the Fighter class.
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    Plz dual wield for elves
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I've always found it weird, the dual-wield restrictions for races.

I mean, Elves should at least be able to dual wield light weapons like daggers.

And why can't giants dual wield 1h swords, if they can dual wield blunt weapons?
    Sphyra21
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I'd love a thief based class. I wanna dual wield daggers.
    To be honest, it sounds like the perfect solution for elves who want to dual wield. ^^
  • PrezzixPrezzix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,290
    If Dual wielding should become available to elves, I want mounted archery to become available to humans too!
    ToasterLadyIchigo015Kageito
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Prezzix wrote: »
    If Dual wielding should become available to elves, I want mounted archery to become available to humans too!

I know it seems unfair and somewhat childish of me, but I'm not a fan of sharing the elves' mounted archery lol. Besides, doing so imo would make the only notable difference between elves and humans be appearance. But that's just me ^.~
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    I'd honestly be very happy and satisfied if we just got a dual wield daggers for elves. Daggers are a speed over power type weapon and that's how I tend to play (not just on mabi either). It ain't like we're asking for final hit AND dual wield for elves. I'm ok with not having FH, though they need to fix the archery system so you don't miss so often or make it so you can't ness while using final shot. And kill the cooldown times on elf range, crash shot, and magnum while they're at it!
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    As far as daggers go, IIRC the issue is that they are not currently considered their own weapon type, but rather are classified as 1H swords.
  • PrezzixPrezzix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,290
    Sphyra21 wrote: »

I know it seems unfair and somewhat childish of me, but I'm not a fan of sharing the elves' mounted archery lol. Besides, doing so imo would make the only notable difference between elves and humans be appearance. But that's just me ^.~

Elves can shoot two arrows at once.
    Elves have Final Shot and Mirage Missile.
    Elves have Hide.
    Elves get more intelligence and dexterity.
    There are many notable differences.

• Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Hide can only be used when not in combat.
    Many of our skills require more AP.
    FS still misses ALOT. FH does not miss at all.
    Archery was an art form before they switched to having cooldown times. Now it is near completely reliant on murphy's law.
    And even if we were to get just the ability to dual wield daggers, it's not like we'd get FH.
  • YuyunYuyun
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    After all the years I have played (excluding the ones I'm not on) they really haven't done much to try to bring elves to the same playing field as the other races. OTL
    Sherri
  • SpkrSpkr
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,450
    Archery was an art form before they switched to having cooldown times. Now it is near completely reliant on murphy's law.
    And even if we were to get just the ability to dual wield daggers, it's not like we'd get FH.
    Hide is still beneficial in many ways where as humans can only play dead and pray there's not a stomp skill in the enemy's arsenal. The AP burn sucks, but they do get better stats in some cases. FH doesn't "miss" however it can easily kill a human if the enemy has heavy stander or counter available. The cool down times may have made archery a bit more difficult, but with the range of skills available now, it's not hard to use Archery solely. Also, if humans got mounted combat, it's not like we'd get Mirage Missile...
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,120

Elf Combat costs are much lower than Giants and Humans. Elves now have access to 2 handed hammers and axes because of the Celtic weapons.

Elves have high move speed which makes them better suited for life-skills like metallurgy and harvesting where you have to run from patch to patch. The dex from the life skills goes to archery where elves have a much shorter Magnum Shot CD. With Final Shot, the aim speed increases significantly like Urgent Shot's buff but for 30 seconds.

Elves currently have the only hybrid dex/int skill in the game (mirage missle) which makes hybriding mage/archer worth it.

Elven Magic Missle is a basically a big AOE Magnum Shot that doesn't miss compared to Giant's Full Swing which makes you use a 2h blunt when a giant could be using a 2h Sword and their OP Vales Shield instead.

Elves don't need dual-wield. If anything thieves should have small shields, like bucklers, where maybe instead of defense, counter could be enhanced. Dagger could scale dex instead of strength. If anything, Treasure Hunter is similar to thief. Commerce for money making, Adventure for exploration and treasure, plus crisis escape is very thief like. If only it wasn't so goofy looking.
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited February 17, 2017
    Cho wrote: »

Elf Combat costs are much lower than Giants and Humans. Elves now have access to 2 handed hammers and axes because of the Celtic weapons.

Elves have high move speed which makes them better suited for life-skills like metallurgy and harvesting where you have to run from patch to patch. The dex from the life skills goes to archery where elves have a much shorter Magnum Shot CD. With Final Shot, the aim speed increases significantly like Urgent Shot's buff but for 30 seconds.

Elves currently have the only hybrid dex/int skill in the game (mirage missle) which makes hybriding mage/archer worth it.

Elven Magic Missle is a basically a big AOE Magnum Shot that doesn't miss compared to Giant's Full Swing which makes you use a 2h blunt when a giant could be using a 2h Sword and their OP Vales Shield instead.

Elves don't need dual-wield. If anything thieves should have small shields, like bucklers, where maybe instead of defense, counter could be enhanced. Dagger could scale dex instead of strength. If anything, Treasure Hunter is similar to thief. Commerce for money making, Adventure for exploration and treasure, plus crisis escape is very thief like. If only it wasn't so goofy looking.

Elves can shoot two arrows at once.
    Elves have Final Shot and Mirage Missile.
    Elves have Hide.
    Elves get more intelligence and dexterity.
    There are many notable differences.

Lets see...
    1. Two arrows? who uses that anymore?
    2. Final shot is only good if you are fully geared and reforged for Magnum spam.
    3. Hide? Useless. I mean really? 35 seconds to RE-hide if you get hit.. and why would you hide to begin with? Not everyone wants to play the waiting game with Hydra + Hide style. And by then humans and giants have already finished rooms (if you are in a party)
    4. not a big deal.
    5. Mirage missile isn't worth it. Even Hydra is better than Mirage Missile. (Same goes for Magic missile, the damage is really bad)
    6. Movement speed? we have movement speed pots, pets, fleet feet, wavesweeper S and what not.
    7. Axes and Hammers don't make elf melee something "OP" like archery(magnum) does with humans.

Yeah no..

Instead of giving elves Dual wield, they should revamp the race as a whole, with the skills.
    Or maybe add new exclusive range and magic skills, since they are supposed to be superior in those aspects/classes.
    Sphyra21
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Alright this thread was MEANT to be a suggestion for a new talent. NOT an elf race bashing thread. If you're going to come here to elf-bash then don't. Otherwise I will request that this thread be closed and I'll start a new one WITH THE EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS TO NOT RACE BASH!

Understood? Good now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic...
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Sorry, I think I kind of started all that. :c
    But yeah, a thief would be nice.
    It'll add in hidden talents and maybe even a new hero talent! (Thief/Ninja/something)?
    Sphyra21