Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

hosting ch in different region

PoiDoePoiDoe
Mabinogi Rep: 920
in Feedback and Suggestions
As it appears the mabi servers are hosted by amazons aws now would it be possible to host one of the chs in the OCE area to allow players from that region to have a much lower ping making the game much nicer to play. maybe doing the same for another ch in the Europe area as well for those players.
As the NA version of the game is more or less the global version now and mabi is a ping dependent game doing this would improve game play for a lot of people
Im not asking for a full OCE or Europe server, just a ch or two
GretaAmaraz

Comments

• AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,745
    Even East coast gets F***ed because of bad ping. Some Dan tests are almost impossible.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited May 20, 2020
    It depends on the cost of maintaining one large location versus many small ones. Since Mabinogi NA is global, as it is designed now, it can never be everything we'd like it to be. Distributing the physical servers world-wide like this would be good for PvE, but not much else. For PvP, you are stuck with competing with folks in your region only, which you already face on "equal" footing. As for folks in other regions, you have to decide which channel to fight on, and if everyone is contained to their local channel you're likely to not meet anyone from elsewhere anyway, unless it is at a channel specific event.

Has anyone here played World of Warcraft, I haven't, it's global right? Does it have the same, unequal ping problems too, or do they distribute their servers. If so do folks just stick to people of their own physical region then?

Or move the datacenter to Iceland, cheap rent, and EVERYONES ping is awful!
  • PoiDoePoiDoe
    edited May 21, 2020
    they wouldn't need to move the physical servers. they use AWS (amazon web services) for the servers currently. all they would need to do is move the region of a couple of the chs via the AWS web console.
    ever since the merge they stopped using their own physical servers and moved to AWS hosting. you can tell this easily by looking at the new IP'S they use in a who is look up. you can get the IP'S from the mabi wiki too
    Edit : wouldn't cost anything extra ether unless they added more chs rather then just move a couple that they already have. even if they do add more chs this is a cost they could easily eat due to reforge and gacha sales
    the idea of it "only being good for PvE" does make much sense ether as almost all content is PvE.
    mabinogi was built for lower ping.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Yesss stick a couple of channels in their Sydney region. It would genuinely revive the game for certain burnt out Aussie guilds.

The way this would affect pvp would still be interesting. I'd like so see some of the big American pvpers try to pvp someone with Aussie lag. For the first time, we'd be able to properly test just how much ping affects pvp simply by having two people fight on different channels.

If you really want to meet people from other places, just cc. Americans can cc into the Oce channel and play in the lag like we have for the last 11 years.

A possible minor problem that might arise is people accidentally falling into the Oce channel and suddenly finding themselves unable to pull off certain combos or train certain skills. Which wouldn't really a problem as you could just cc back to your own region. Too bad that isn't an option for us currently.

I just want other people to lag like me for once
  • PoiDoePoiDoe
    all they would need to do is like on the change channel box just state (ch 10 - OCE) or something like that.
    i mean sure some NA plays would have issues with trying to do raids on high ping on the other region chs but its something people can live to deal with since AUS, NZ and all Europe players have to deal with daily.

I think the best bet for nao would be
    ch10 - asia pacific (Sydney) [aws ap-shoutheast-2]
    ch9 - Europe (ether london or paris) [ether eu-west-2 or eu-west-3]
    leave chs 8~1 in NA as most the player base is there
    leave market (old housing ch) in NA
    leave ch 20 (guild wars ch) in NA
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    it would sure be nice if that happened, I have a friend in the Philippines that really wants to try mabi.
  • 아이씨아이씨
    Mabinogi Rep: 375
    Maybe you should start thinking about using some VPNs or try using some open source projects out that can redirect internet traffic to help you reach closer to Nexon's servers located in Oregon.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    아이씨 wrote: »
    Maybe you should start thinking about using some VPNs or try using some open source projects out that can redirect internet traffic to help you reach closer to Nexon's servers located in Oregon.

Use VPN? Really?
  • 아이씨아이씨
    Mabinogi Rep: 375
    What's wrong with a VPN?
  • PoiDoePoiDoe
    even using a vpn or one of those gaming vpn things. people from OCE have at least 150ms ping at most 200~300ms ping. it hardly helps
    having a ch in sydney would lower that down to the 20~50ms ping range.
    Again im only asking for 1 or 2 chs in now not a whole server
    also VPNs are against TOS due to them masking your ip just saying
  • LuchiChanLuchiChan
    Mabinogi Rep: 225
    the idea is amazing.
    if something like that will happen, the coomunity of Mabi will grow up. i will be able to lure some frineds to play it as well. people will be able to choose what server to run with their party. everyone will be able to do things the same - Dan tests, Generations, and more things that you normally solo.
    for PVP - can make PVP, or kind of area that has cross-channels system.

i live in east Eutope side, my ping is around 200-220... the most problem for me some skills charge as magics, attack delay for some skills.. people will no reforge can attack faster than me, while i ahve reforges...

at some point, the players who will keep play will be from US only, and the community will