Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Ice Spear rework

LastSaturdayLastSaturday
Mabinogi Rep: 1,215
in Feedback and Suggestions
So using Ice Spear in any current dungeon is just the most tiresome endeavor ever. Either everything is immune to being frozen or it does such little damage you'd be better off casting ice bolt as the team won't whine about the drop in DPS.

So I was thinking what if it's actually a spear of ice that can pierce and maybe form a barrier at full charge? Would just be upping the damage adding knock back and an ice barrier (which might be annoying, might be life saving). It wouldn't be overpowered and might actually have a use in large aggro rooms that doesn't upset everyone.

What are your thoughts?
Negumiko

Comments

• SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    Honestly, the entire skill system needs a redo (except Chain Slash which is fine on it's own currently) because all the skills are pretty much out of date at this point.

As for Ice Spear itself, I never had any issues with it. I wish it did more damage, but the draw to using it is to freeze opponents multiple times with enough charges.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    I use my Ice Dragon pet more then I use ice spear cause it can freeze a lot of enemies ice spear can't freeze.
    Squee wrote: »
    Honestly, the entire skill system needs a redo (except Chain Slash which is fine on it's own currently) because all the skills are pretty much out of date at this point.

Chain Slash and all the skills it has are fine but Bachram Boost does make some things feel a little to easy. maybe it should be changed so players can't earn Bachram unless they are fighting with a chainblade so it triggers less often.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Probably the biggest gripe about Ice Spear, especially in party play, has been its freezing mechanic.
    Even after they updated it so that you could actually attack enemies that were frozen, they still made it so that a frozen enemy takes only half damage for the duration of the freeze, so people will still dislike it when using Ice Spear in most cases since that's halving any other damage dealt to the frozen enemy.

I mean comparing it to other "holding" attacks just makes it pale in comparison.
    Frozen Blast. Sure it can fail if used normally, but when used in conjunction with Elemental Wave, it has a 100% freezing chance and not only does it not decrease damage the frozen enemies take, it actually DEBUFFS the enemies defense/protection so they'll take more damage. Otherwise, this has the same targeting limitations as Ice Spear. Quite a few enemies will be unable to be targeted by it, even if you use the AoE version you get from Elemental Wave.
    Shadow Bind. It can't fail, and while it has a target limit and a pretty limited duration, and makes it so the user can't move very far or it'll break the bind it still doesn't decrease the damage the enemies take. Same as Ice Spear and Frozen Blast, many enemies are just unable to be bound.
    Ice Dragon summon AoE. Can't fail, and can actually freeze enemies that normally can't be targeted by Ice Spear (or the aforementioned Frozen Blast and Shadow Bind) for some reason. Though this is a pet and not everyone will get access to it.
    Scooter AoE. And the Scooter Imp. It binds enemies in place for a few seconds, preventing them from being knocked back and moving. I'm not sure it affects as many enemies as the Ice Dragon, but it still doesn't carry a damage penalty. Once again, though, a pet that not everyone will have available.

If one thing should change about Ice Spear, it should be the damage penalty that the party has to deal with when attacking a frozen enemy.
    Heck, Ice Spear should also have its own debuff if you ask me. I can't imagine that being frozen would leave an enemy feeling that great, maybe leave them with a debuff to magical defense and protection, or perhaps a post-explosion speed debuff, sort of in the vein of Icebolt.
    Shiro42CMKyrios
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    So using Ice Spear in any current dungeon is just the most tiresome endeavor ever. Either everything is immune to being frozen or it does such little damage you'd be better off casting ice bolt as the team won't whine about the drop in DPS.

So I was thinking what if it's actually a spear of ice that can pierce and maybe form a barrier at full charge? Would just be upping the damage adding knock back and an ice barrier (which might be annoying, might be life saving). It wouldn't be overpowered and might actually have a use in large aggro rooms that doesn't upset everyone.

What are your thoughts?

Is it no good because as it stands you can't be a one-trick-pony?
  • NemesisNemesis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    Helsa wrote: »

What are your thoughts?

Is it no good because as it stands you can't be a one-trick-pony?

Cause hailstorm one trick pony doesnt exist?
  • KensonKenson
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    Due to the current climate of combat, the ice spear freeze debuff I think should be adjusted from half all damage to reduce magic defense/protection. That or shift its defense stats from magical to physical (physical do less, magic do more). As pointed out, all other binding skills are strictly beneficial... Or just frozen blast with fireworks. Damage first, effect at some other point.
    Squee wrote: »

Raging spike yearns for a purpose.