Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Crom Bás Part 2 update!
https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/71292/crom-b-s-unveiled-abyss-part-2-patch-notes-january-13th-2022
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Wine Shop and Winemaking

KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
Posts: 7,896
Member
edited September 6, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
I'm thinking since fermenting was added, there can be upgrades to wine making and also make use of the wine shop and other combined life skill features. Also, suggesting a new skill called brewing. Below is a draft of the idea.

Player crafted alcohol using winemaking and brewing can now be consumed.

Stat increases to STR, DEX, and LUCK while decrease in WIL. Amount will differ from the type of beverage and its quality.

Players can continue to turn them in to Pencast for the usual Exp and Gold rewards for wine. Players can turn to Wanst for non wine for the same rewards. Players can turn in to Ferghus for higher Exp but no gold, and instead a Free Ferghus Repair coupon.

--

New wines and materials
Machasto - made from Emain Macha Muscat grapes found in Blago Prairie (on a new vineyard on the eastern side near Emain Macha)
A sparkling moscato wine.

Ulahd Claret - made from Continental Red Merlot (found in Blag Prairie new vineyard eastern side). A dark red wine.

Filia Chardonay - made from Chardonay grapes from Filia (adding vineyard near Filia farmland). Tropical white wine.

--

Wine Shop
The Wine Shop is now accessible to players and will have a new NPC. Player made wines are branded and sold here as both a consumable item and a commerce item. Players who have had their alcohol evaluated may post their wine for sale here weekly the amount available is based on quality.
Very high quality wines will be rarer, so there will only be a total of 100 units for commerce and 50 units for player consumption sold. Middle tier quality wines will have 200 commerce units and 100 consumable units sold. Low quality wines are undesirable, and only 30 units of each will be sold.

The same will apply to items made to items made from brewing.

--

After completing a series of quests to access the wine shop and functions, there will be a quest to acquire Brewing.
Unlike winemaking, brewing will require several ingredients to produce alcohol.

A separate minigame that combines the cooking and winemaking game features will be used.

Players can make various brews using wheat, barley, potatoes, sweet potatoes, sugars, various fruit, and/or yeast.

--

If anyone is interested in this idea, feel free to put forth suggestions, or ask for me to go into more depth.
Thanks!
THICCthighssavelives

Comments

  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,475
    Posts: 205
    Member
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Posts: 2,887
    Member
    Man, if they ever want me to go back to a Wine-Making-type minigame, they're gonna have to add a retry option for the minigame at no penalty.
    And make the window of time before freshness starts degrading even wider, like make not degrade until 32 hours have passed since the last replacement, rather than 24.

    Well actually, I don't have much love for the minigame anyways, since I'm bad at it.
    I'm not gonna get any better at speedily clicking accurately on the quickly shrinking blobs in the wine, and I don't have a touchscreen or anything like that to help by doing it that way, so I'm basically stuck at bad. :p

    These are neat ideas, though rather than just stat boosts, it'd be neat if these drinks had special effects along with them.
    Especially if you decide to share the wine with Campfire/Chair sharing.

    I wonder what Arat Berry Wine would be like.
    I can already imagine the shaky screens.
    THICCthighssavelives
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    nomigid15 wrote: »

    Much appreciated, one of the threads I missed when I was on break.

    I like the names, much better than mine.

    Anything you wish to contribute/updates to the system?
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Man, if they ever want me to go back to a Wine-Making-type minigame, they're gonna have to add a retry option for the minigame at no penalty.
    And make the window of time before freshness starts degrading even wider, like make not degrade until 32 hours have passed since the last replacement, rather than 24.

    Well actually, I don't have much love for the minigame anyways, since I'm bad at it.
    I'm not gonna get any better at speedily clicking accurately on the quickly shrinking blobs in the wine, and I don't have a touchscreen or anything like that to help by doing it that way, so I'm basically stuck at bad. :p

    These are neat ideas, though rather than just stat boosts, it'd be neat if these drinks had special effects along with them.
    Especially if you decide to share the wine with Campfire/Chair sharing.

    I wonder what Arat Berry Wine would be like.
    I can already imagine the shaky screens.

    Yeah, the current minigame can be rough. Perhaps, it can be improved?

    Arat Berry Wine is interesting, but how do we get Arat berries outside SMs?

    I was also thinking of having recipes for some of the alcohol that is sold in shops.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Posts: 2,887
    Member
    nomigid15 wrote: »

    Much appreciated, one of the threads I missed when I was on break.

    I like the names, much better than mine.

    Anything you wish to contribute/updates to the system?
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Man, if they ever want me to go back to a Wine-Making-type minigame, they're gonna have to add a retry option for the minigame at no penalty.
    And make the window of time before freshness starts degrading even wider, like make not degrade until 32 hours have passed since the last replacement, rather than 24.

    Well actually, I don't have much love for the minigame anyways, since I'm bad at it.
    I'm not gonna get any better at speedily clicking accurately on the quickly shrinking blobs in the wine, and I don't have a touchscreen or anything like that to help by doing it that way, so I'm basically stuck at bad. :p

    These are neat ideas, though rather than just stat boosts, it'd be neat if these drinks had special effects along with them.
    Especially if you decide to share the wine with Campfire/Chair sharing.

    I wonder what Arat Berry Wine would be like.
    I can already imagine the shaky screens.

    Yeah, the current minigame can be rough. Perhaps, it can be improved?

    Arat Berry Wine is interesting, but how do we get Arat berries outside SMs?

    I was also thinking of having recipes for some of the alcohol that is sold in shops.

    Oh about Arat Berries, the ones you obtain during Crag Cow by smacking trees are able to be taken out of SMs.
    Actually, the only ones that can't are those "Supply" berries you get during things like Stones of Sliab Cuilin.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    I forgot about the ugly crag cow mission
    Iyasenu
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,815
    Posts: 4,527
    Member
    Since Arat Berries seems to have a psychoactive effect, you could use them to make Erinns equivalent of LSD or Meth. It would be interesting to enact a system where they are illegal in-game and getting caught by in-game authorities results in a jaunt through the Erinn legal system.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    Since Arat Berries seems to have a psychoactive effect, you could use them to make Erinns equivalent of LSD or Meth. It would be interesting to enact a system where they are illegal in-game and getting caught by in-game authorities results in a jaunt through the Erinn legal system.

    Well I think it could be possible to remove the toxins through the fermentation process.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Posts: 2,887
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    Since Arat Berries seems to have a psychoactive effect, you could use them to make Erinns equivalent of LSD or Meth. It would be interesting to enact a system where they are illegal in-game and getting caught by in-game authorities results in a jaunt through the Erinn legal system.

    I think the berry-eaters would have the advantage, what with Arat Berries marking things on the map.


    Gotta wonder, what do those taste like?
    Do they taste like DARRRRRRKNEEEEEESSSS?
    The wine would probably mark things on your minimap and make the screen all blurry, too. (Well, the blurry part doesn't happen if you have "Full Scene Effect" unchecked in options)
    Arat Berries always makes me think of "Noitar Arat" mentioned during G9.
    Unrelated but that's "Tara Ration" backwards, but that doesn't make sense in-context.
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    Brewing skill, combine areas of cooking and winemaking.
    Use cooking % proportions per recipe and then control vat's temperature and/or control fermentation/aging to brew drink over the course of several days. Feed the mixture to ferment daily to improve alcohol content.

    My madness recipes.

    Blue Mead recipe
    Raw Honey (80%) Blueberry (15%) Yeast (5%)

    Apple Cidre
    Apple (70%) Berry (15%) Yeast (5%)

    Devenish Black Beer
    Barley Flour (65%) Malt (25.5%) Yeast (9.5)

    Ulaid Beer
    Barley Flour (55%) Malt (15%) Corn (30%)

    Brifne Whiskey
    Wheat Flour (65.5%) Malt (34.5%)

    Vales Whiskey
    Barley Flour (71.3%) Malt (28.7%)

    Soju
    Rice (95.5%) Sweet Potato (4.5%)

    Sake
    Rice (85%) Water (10%) Starch Syrup (5%0

    Plum Wine
    Green Plum (75%) Salt (5%) Starch Syrup (20%)

    Butter Beer
    Butter (75%) Starch Syrup (20%) Water (5%)

    Vodka
    Potato (45%) Corn (40%) Yeast (15%)

    Strawberry Brandy
    Strawberry (22%) Emain Macha Wine (75%) Yeast (3%)
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,815
    Posts: 4,527
    Member
    edited September 9, 2019
    Whiskey from wheat? Where's the Rum where's the Gin?
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    Whiskey from wheat? Where's the Rum where's the Gin?

    Rum will be interesting because there's no sugarcane in Mabi. Is there something to make cane juice or molasses from?

    I guess I can do Gin.

    Port Gin
    Juniper Berry (40%) Barley Flour (40%) Grapes (40%

    Leighean gin has this description that implies it's made somewhere else, so made a different name instead
    Classy alcoholic drink imported from another continent. It has a clean taste to it.

    You can make whisky with any grain.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,815
    Posts: 4,527
    Member
    You can make whisky with any grain.

    Pish tosh: barley, rye, or corn that's it!
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    You can make whisky with any grain.

    Pish tosh: barley, rye, or corn that's it!
    Helsa wrote: »
    You can make whisky with any grain.

    Pish tosh: barley, rye, or corn that's it!

    Grain whiskeys.
    Grain whisky normally refers to any whisky made, at least in part, from grains other than malted barley. This could be whisky made using corn, wheat or rye.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,475
    Posts: 205
    Member
    edited September 10, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    You can make whisky with any grain.

    Pish tosh: barley, rye, or corn that's it!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_whiskey
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat_whisky

    And I think there are even some made with potatoes.
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    We've gotten progress at least.
    Big edit from Katherz's original post.
    Katherz wrote: »

    New recipes have been added!


    Mixing
    • Pan's Craft Brew - Barley Flour, Bottle Water, Malt
    • Highball - Lemon, Brifne Whiskey
    • Hard Cider - Apple, Brifne Whiskey
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,475
    Posts: 205
    Member
    edited June 19, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »
    Since Arat Berries seems to have a psychoactive effect, you could use them to make Erinns equivalent of LSD or Meth. It would be interesting to enact a system where they are illegal in-game and getting caught by in-game authorities results in a jaunt through the Erinn legal system.

    Or it's equivalent of Absinthe. :P
    Brifne Whiskey
    Wheat Flour (65.5%) Malt (34.5%)

    Vales Whiskey
    Barley Flour (71.3%) Malt (28.7%)

    Soju
    Rice (95.5%) Sweet Potato (4.5%)

    Vodka
    Potato (45%) Corn (40%) Yeast (15%)

    Strawberry Brandy
    Strawberry (22%) Emain Macha Wine (75%) Yeast (3%)

    These are liquors, though. If anything, they'd fall under a third category: Distilling.

    (Not that that wouldn't also be a welcome addition. xD)
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    Since Arat Berries seems to have a psychoactive effect, you could use them to make Erinns equivalent of LSD or Meth. It would be interesting to enact a system where they are illegal in-game and getting caught by in-game authorities results in a jaunt through the Erinn legal system.

    Or it's equivalent of Absinthe. :P
    Brifne Whiskey
    Wheat Flour (65.5%) Malt (34.5%)

    Vales Whiskey
    Barley Flour (71.3%) Malt (28.7%)

    Soju
    Rice (95.5%) Sweet Potato (4.5%)

    Vodka
    Potato (45%) Corn (40%) Yeast (15%)

    Strawberry Brandy
    Strawberry (22%) Emain Macha Wine (75%) Yeast (3%)

    These are liquors, though. If anything, they'd fall under a third category: Distilling.

    (Not that that wouldn't also be a welcome addition. xD)

    Yeah, I don't mind having a distilling skill added.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,815
    Posts: 4,527
    Member
    There is a "Wine Shop" (and Art Gallery) in Tara, it'd be nice if those could finally be realized, after all these years. The alley behind the Wine Shop actually looks like the alley from "Lady and the Tramp"; Bela Noches.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,575
    Posts: 7,896
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    There is a "Wine Shop" (and Art Gallery) in Tara, it'd be nice if those could finally be realized, after all these years. The alley behind the Wine Shop actually looks like the alley from "Lady and the Tramp"; Bela Noches.

    My suggestion was to make use of that Wine Shop in Tara.
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    Posts: 201
    Member
    I swear I thought I commented on this, but my thoughts are that we need SOMETHING to do with wine-making beyond just leveling it up for some easy stats. So far, I have yet to find anyone that has trained it legit for the skill itself because there's nothing to do with it. Just adding things to do that are worthwhile would be better than just leaving it as some random skill you just level for the stats.
    Kensamaofmari