Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How to Protect Your Account

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
in Notices
Nexon is committed to the account security of all players.

Here are some reminders about how to keep your account safe:

• Don’t share any of your account information.
  • Frequently change your password, PIN/PIC, and/or secondary passwords.
  • Keep your private information safe from possible phishing attempts. This includes your name, email address, date of birth, and other private information. Posting this type of information whether publicly or privately via online channels (including Discord, Twitch, Forums, or Social Media) can leave your account vulnerable.
  • Avoid using the same password on multiple services.
  • Enable Two-Factor Authentication as an added security measure.

If you believe your account was compromised, please submit a ticket through our Customer Support portal as soon as possible.
Sherri

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Why this? Did something happen? I thought this is common knowledge anyway...
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited August 29, 2020
    Greta wrote: »

Katherz is catching up to speed. There has been a database compromise in recent months. I know because someone has been making multiple login attempts from everywhere under the sun (gmail, steam, twitter, ext), but because they don't have my physical PHONE they can't get in. So two-step authentication is becoming HIGHLY recommended everywhere. I've actually had to enable it on a lot of platforms VERY recently due to login attempts from around the world, (I've had attempts from greece, germany, and china - to name a few). It's been getting surreal on how many login attempts I've had from all over the place.

If you have noticed unusual login attempts like what I've had, it's time to enable two-step authentication.

The only drawback...don't lose your phone. :scream:
    KensamaofmariWolfsinger
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Yes, in these times, it is good to be reminded to keep your personal info secure everywhere. One little mistake and it's over. There are no do overs.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 29, 2020
    Yes, in these times, it is good to be reminded to keep your personal info secure everywhere. One little mistake and it's over. There are no do overs.

There are do overs and lessons to be learned. You can get your accounts back, it's just really hard to if something catastrophic happens - which should never happen unless you are REALLY dumb.

But...I've been able to convince google to release login information to my daughters accounts. Last time I had to social engineer my way in (this was about 3 years ago because she was being extremely suspicious) I told them that my daughter was committing fraud with my personal information and bam they reset the account which allowed me to choose a new password and get in. I did have to provide proof of sorts and it took a couple days (because someone has to review the situation carefully), but I got in.

Point being, even that might not be enough. XD
    Kensamaofmari
  • GretaGreta
    That's messed up... I feel sorry for your daughters.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 30, 2020
    That's messed up... I feel sorry for your daughters.

She is a pathological liar Greta, she will lie to your face even with proof. I had to get in because at the time she was getting into some dangerous stuff, and money was disappearing. She's doing better these days though. I think that incident set her straight. Sometimes as a parent if you notice something is really wrong you have to do what you have to do.

I said that the way I said it because honestly you can make up anything with social engineering. You just have to be convincing and provide plausible situations and "proof". I can be pretty persuading, especially with my experience in lines of business where you have to be the master of bs. I used that mainly as an example that can happen, people can claim anything.

Hm...something just occurred to me. I am not oblivious to irony. :D
    Sherri
  • GretaGreta
    *shrug* well, i don't know anything about you or your daughter so i'll not make further comments. Sorry for that. :x
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 30, 2020
    *shrug* well, i don't know anything about you or your daughter so i'll not make further comments. Sorry for that. :x

It's cool. I realize I was airing dirty laundry, but this is a real life example of social engineering. Google didn't have to grant me access. But I was hoping to get in covertly to gather the information I needed to address the situation, and I did get in. Then we all had a sit down.
    SherriWolfsinger
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited September 4, 2020
    i set up TFA for my account and i kind of regret it.. with how many times the website logs me out and all lol

Edit: saw a thing the last time i logged in, apparently i can have it remember my device for 30 days?
    also idk why but im getting serious deja vu...
  • 아이씨아이씨
    Mabinogi Rep: 375
    Just set up a stronger password and then wouldn't need to have 2FA. People should stop making their passwords like 123qwe.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Crimsọn wrote: »

Katherz is catching up to speed. There has been a database compromise in recent months. I know because someone has been making multiple login attempts from everywhere under the sun (gmail, steam, twitter, ext), but because they don't have my physical PHONE they can't get in. So two-step authentication is becoming HIGHLY recommended everywhere. I've actually had to enable it on a lot of platforms VERY recently due to login attempts from around the world, (I've had attempts from greece, germany, and china - to name a few). It's been getting surreal on how many login attempts I've had from all over the place.

If you have noticed unusual login attempts like what I've had, it's time to enable two-step authentication.

The only drawback...don't lose your phone. :scream:

I think certain Authenticators, like Google's, now allow you to transfer data from phone to phone.

Unless you factory reset your phone. THEN you're screwed.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 30, 2020
    아이씨 wrote: »
    Just set up a stronger password and then wouldn't need to have 2FA. People should stop making their passwords like 123qwe.

All my passwords are pretty strong, yet this happens...

0B2tMVj.png

I'm not updating all that bleep. Bleep that. 2SA baby, plus pin on my phone.

This is the new normal. :D
    Kensamaofmari
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    I use the free edition of SUPERAntiSpyware and do a full scan everyday which takes about a hour for my computer: https://www.superantispyware.com/

all my passwords are in Japanese and have never been hacked yet. I also refuse to list any credit card information on any site except for maybe twice in the past 10 years on Amazon. lie about your date of birth whenever a site asks. staying safe is fairly easy as long as you are careful and have a good antivirus. I never login to any site on my phone, not even my email. if I need to go to a website full of spyware and ads like for anime for example I use a crappy laptop with zero personal info on so I don't have to put my main pc or personal data at risk.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 31, 2020
    Negumiko wrote: »
    I use the free edition of SUPERAntiSpyware and do a full scan everyday which takes about a hour for my computer: https://www.superantispyware.com/

all my passwords are in Japanese and have never been hacked yet by the Japanese. I also refuse to list any credit card information on any site except for maybe twice in the past 10 years on Amazon. lie about your date of birth whenever a site asks. staying safe is fairly easy as long as you are careful and have a good antivirus. I never login to any site on my phone, not even my email. if I need to go to a website full of spyware and ads like for anime for example I use a crappy laptop with zero personal info on so I don't have to put my main pc or personal data at risk.

Lol. :D
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Negumiko wrote: »

all my passwords are in Japanese and have never been hacked yet. I also refuse to list any credit card information on any site except for maybe twice in the past 10 years on Amazon. lie about your date of birth whenever a site asks. staying safe is fairly easy as long as you are careful and have a good antivirus. I never login to any site on my phone, not even my email. if I need to go to a website full of spyware and ads like for anime for example I use a crappy laptop with zero personal info on so I don't have to put my main pc or personal data at risk.

Now we know your passwords are in Japanese lol.
    Crimsọn