Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How is the state of this game?

Domx3Domx3
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in General Chat
Hello All!

I'm an old player - from beta to about when the marionette stuff came out. I logged on for the first time in quite a while and there just seems to be so much more now that it's overwhelming - like a lot of "filler" content it seems like. How's the playerbase doing on this game? Any people from the old days?

I see they merged servers. I tried to change my name back to what it was (Domx3) but someone took it. I tried to add them to find out someone used it as a pet. So thanks to whoever took the name I had since day one (Accross multiple servers) for your pet :). I lost all the notes associated with the character which sucks because it could've been good nostalgia. I contacted support to see if there's any way to reclaim the notes (a friend told me if you name changed back they would show up, but that obviously is not an option). Their support, years later, is still useless, and they never directly answered my question and told me that all notes were carried over regardless of the name change which is a crock of bs. Glad to see Nexon customer support is still A++.

Anyways, that's my rant. What do people still like about the game? What's bad? I've noticed massive inflation. People selling stuff on the reg for hundreds of millions. At the time I left I had 6M in the bank and that was considered rich. Now I doubt I can buy anything haha.

Comments

• Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    State of the game? Too vague to answer. Don't know what you're actually wanting to know.
    All I can say is just login and play. If you're here for Mabinogi and to play Mabinogi, then the game is doing fine aside from the obvious problems.
    At the time I left I had 6M in the bank and that was considered rich. Now I doubt I can buy anything haha.
    Do content and you'll be fine.
    Greta
  • VimaVima
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    edited September 30, 2020
    The state of the game is considered "FUD" (fear, uncertainty, doubt) since that is exactly my opinion on the state of the game. Wish I could go into more detail but will get silenced AGAIN if I do.
  • Domx3Domx3
    Mabinogi Rep: 100
    State of the game? Too vague to answer. Don't know what you're actually wanting to know.
    All I can say is just login and play. If you're here for Mabinogi and to play Mabinogi, then the game is doing fine aside from the obvious problems.
    At the time I left I had 6M in the bank and that was considered rich. Now I doubt I can buy anything haha.

It's vague for a purpose. So that people can answer based on what's important to them and the aspects they feel currently define the game. Is the population voluminous? Is there general resentment / complaining or general content with the content and the updates / support being put out? Are people active or just hop on and AFK for the most part? Do people run content with one another or just with their select groups? These are the kinds of things I'm inquiring about with this kind of question.
    Vima wrote: »
    The state of the game is considered "FUD" (fear, uncertainty, doubt) since that is exactly my opinion on the state of the game. Wish I could go into more detail but will get silenced AGAIN if I do.

Thank you for this input. Details sparing, it still helps give me an idea haha.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    There are still people from beta around, most do not come onto forums much anymore. You may be able to connect with them on the official discord server.

While some folks consider FUD, the game has been relatively stable on an overall level. As always, people can never be satisfied and there's always something to complain about.

Overall, individual players are incentivized to level up and rank skills up quickly as the newer storylines become overwhelmingly challenging for the easy going players.

There are much more talents and always new features being added as well.

There's always people leaving, some returnees and some new players. Population wise, it's still stable enough to prevent the game from being axed.

As one of Nexon's original staple games, it's definitely worth coming back having a look.

Customer service as improved since way back, but remember you will have to provide as much necessary info as they need to help you with your problems and always have enough patience to wait for a reply. They are people like you, and treating them with respect will in turn treat you the customer with respect.

While 6 mil is no longer considered rich, you can still get by with that amount and it's a lot easier to earn more gold now than back then.
    WolfsingerroseangelArbiterTheIconoclast
    Domx3 wrote: »
    It's vague for a purpose. So that people can answer based on what's important to them and the aspects they feel currently define the game. Is the population voluminous? Is there general resentment / complaining or general content with the content and the updates / support being put out? Are people active or just hop on and AFK for the most part? Do people run content with one another or just with their select groups? These are the kinds of things I'm inquiring about with this kind of question.
    Oh, okay.
    See, I was under the impression you were looking for someone to tell you -- maybe even propose a convincing enough argument as to -- why you should come back and play, given the title of the thread and the ranting (your words, not mine) post about things you already seem to have formed an opinion on.
    I guess I was mistaken, huh?

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Hola
    Is the population voluminous?

It fluctuates based on the time of the year and the content put out.

Is there general resentment / complaining or general content with the content and the updates / support being put out?

Yes, yes, and yes (to some extent).
    "Complaining" usually for nerfs to the later content, lack of "balancing" across certain talents, races, etc., and for repetitive events. It might turn into "Resentment," but I think in those complaints, the point is the desire for improvement.

"Support being put out" for quality of life updates released occasionally.

Are people active or just hop on and AFK for the most part?

There are active players along with players that log in to AFK.

Do people run content with one another or just with their select groups?

There are people that run content with one another as well as people that stick to their guilds, themselves, and their select groups.

What's bad?
    Think most of my thoughts would learn toward certain parts of the story progression or the lack of explanations in some areas of the game - and that would be much too specific to list here. I don't usually linger on what's bad. Usually just acknowledge it, mentally point out where/how it could be improved, and hope it gets taken into consideration in the future. (sometimes it does)

What's important? What defines the game to me? Why do I like it?
    - haven't had to pay to truly enjoy it
    - fond memories of playing when I was younger
    - vast landscape and a lot of systems built into it (from music, to pets, to visual novels, to interactions - to encourage immersion)
    - lore points to many possibilities
    - I like and follow a lot of the characters within it
    - I enjoy the soundtrack
    - I'm involved in projects that require it
    - has lots of nice fan-made works (at least on the overseas sides)
    - somebody who inspired me to pick up a new hobby plays it
    - recently some nice contests were held
    - personally noticed slight or subtle changes that lean towards improvement
    - personally feels like the devs have an interest in keeping the game alive
    and because it has given me motivation and something to look forward to

Game is very fortunate to still be up in 2020. In the past 6 years, many others game like it I knew of have shutdown or felt the need to go completely mobile.

The notes problem lies within issue of how the (rather flimsy) note system is structured. In that case, customer support wouldn't be able to help you since it it's engrained deep into the actual game's system.

Despite the problem of inflation, wouldn't say it's hard to earn gold: there's many ways although not all of them will be "fun." More importantly, watch how the gold is spent. Determine needs vs. wants and go from there - manage the finances well and whatnot, and then a happy Erinn life can be achieved. It's all up to the individual.

Final thoughts
    First post gives the impression that you're specifically looking for something to further sour your impression of the game. If you're only looking for bad, you'll definitely find bad - because that's specifically what you're keeping your eyes out for.

peace
  • AdenoAdeno
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,595
    I also just returned to the game. I left when Iria first got released so that's 2009-2010. The reason why I came back was the coronavirus. Without much to do in real life, the character background song of the game popped into my mind and a sense of nostalgia took over. I checked out what's new with the game, specifically the music part, and I found out there are pianos you can play with now! That made me happy and so I downloaded the game again.

I was a physical warrior knight type back then specializing in Windmill (a Windmiller!) so back then, I was used to clearing dungeons in a "One Hit You're Dead" kind of setting while fully naked since it made no sense to wear anything that I could lose/drop upon death with my very risky fighting style lol! When I finally got back a few weeks ago during the 2X AP/Skill event, I found out that using Windmill doesn't drain your hp anymore! That actually cheered me up because that meant I could finally be a decent warrior who wears armor or clothes, not harassing monsters while I was only wearing my briefs.

Another thing that made me happy was the fact that Spirit Weapons are actually usable now. Unlike in the past, the Spirit Weapons won't suddenly have bad stats if you don't feed them. Repairing them isn't complicated anymore because you can just go to your usual Edern or whoever your blacksmith is and they'll repair the Spirit Weapon like it's a normal weapon. Best of all, the Spirit Weapons have upgrades that you can put points into now. I immediately maxed out the Critial Damage on my 2H sword and I'm very happy about it! It's still Level 38 and the max seems to be 100. Leveling up Spirit Weapons seem to be easier now because you don't have to wait for your Spirit Weapon to get hungry. You simply feed it whenever you want. The only thing you have to do for each level is talk to the Spirit Weapon 3 times and it'll get its mood to 30%, use it a bit in battle, then the next game day talk to it again 3 times, repeat the process for another game day or so and you'll be at 100% good mood for the entire level of that Spirit Weapon. If it's at 100% good mood, there's a chance you'll get extra exp from whatever you feed it, which helps a lot!

The music part of the game is something I'm also very happy with. When I left a long time ago, it was pretty much just for playing mml tunes. Now, you can actually use music to buff yourself and others. You can also use it to lure enemies and make them follow you ala Pied Piper. Then there are music jams that kinda play like Dance Dance Revolution. It's also funny whenever your character plays perfectly and they do this hilarious wild animation playing instruments. I saw someone playing a lyre at a music contest at Emain Macha and suddenly she got perfect playing mode, so her character was climbing all over the lyre playing it like a wild woman lol!!!

A lot of the life skills are actually fun for me. Carpentry for example. I never knew chopping logs would be so relaxing and fun! I also find Metallurgy to be entertaining, I guess I just like picking up gems and ores lol!

For me, although I would like to also reach the "endgame" stuff like other players, I'm approaching the game in a more happy go lucky way. I prefer fun over stress. I definitely enjoy fooling around! For example, I noticed that in one of the missions, the boss copies you! So one time, I decided to go naked to make him also naked! I discovered that he's not a perfect copycat, because he wears black briefs while I wear white ones lol!

Mabinogi events have always been something I loved even back then. I came back during the Summer Event and I definitely had tons of fun! I already miss the mini-games at the beach!

One thing I like about the game is that there are still many kind people around, just like before! When the Study Event started (still within the Summer Event), you're supposed to help an npc named Siyu study by copying notes from books. You're given a table where you can perform this, but there are also better tables available that will help you "study" better. The better tables will allow you to get better results, which means you'll receive more prize boxes that contain all sorts of goodies instead of memo pads that just give exploration exp. On the second day of the event, a nice person said she'll make the tables for us and all we had to do was bring the blacksmithing manual. Very nice person indeed! It's not just in the game that Mabinogi players are nice, I'm usually on the Reddit Mabinogi sub and a nice person even gave me money to buy my first piano in the game! The people on the Reddit Mabinogi sub are also very nice and they've answered all of my questions and guided me to finally become familiar with the game once again.

As a returning player, Mabinogi definitely seems a lot different and very new to me. I often encounter new things that I never knew existed. The other night, I was working on ranking up Enthralling Performance (the Pied Piper luring move!) at Dugald Camp, when suddenly, some Black Warrior, whom I thought at first was a player then a quest npc, started attacking me lol! Then when I finally managed to rank up Enthralling Performance, a giant bear family appeared right behind me and I couldn't run away because I was still performing Enthralling Performance! Thankfully a random passing guy put the raccoons to sleep lol!

I haven't really worked on the main story yet. I ended the story at the Paladin part back then, so right now my active story quest is the Dark Knight part (I'm staying as Paladin though). I also did the Hamlet story and it was pretty interesting and fun! I think there's also a Romeo and Juliet one, I'm just not sure. There's certainly a lot of story and missions I still haven't experienced, so it'll be a long time before I run out of things to do in the game. I sometimes find myself just exploring the auction house and trying on different outfits that I've never seen before. Lots of fun stuff! Sometimes I see interesting items for 1000 gold like those cute umbrellas. I even got a US Flag style umbrella last night for 1 gold, which was some kind of old event item based on the description. If you equip it and press the space bar, you'll actually jump in a hilarious manner! Very cute!

About the prices of items being super expensive, yeah that shocked me as well! Thankfully, holy water seems to also be high priced now, so I just do part time jobs to collect holy water. I did that for a week or two and managed to save up around 20,000,000 gold to buy my first armor set upon returning to the game, the Bhafel set and the Black Dragon Knight sword and bow, which were thankfully pretty affordable at the time when I got them. Recently, I saved up even more money and managed to buy an Abyss armor and boots, and then a Saint Guardian gauntlet. Normally I wouldn't be able to afford them but they're not upgraded so that's probably why they were cheaper than usual. I still can't afford the upgraded stuff but that's fine, I'm ok with non-upgraded equipment because they're still functional anyway. My next target is the Saint Guardian body armor because I think it looks cool! It's very expensive though, 500,000,000. Hopefully I'll be able to get Saint Guardian armor haha :)

So yeah, those are the things that keep me entertained nowadays in the game. The ability to make my own music (although I'd love to see an improvement to the system, like allowing for higher numbered chords and more notes), the fun little stories in the game, the nice people I randomly encounter, the cute events and all sorts of skills I can fool around with.
    CrimsọnDrognak
  • VimaVima
    There are still people from beta around, most do not come onto forums much anymore. You may be able to connect with them on the official discord server.

While some folks consider FUD, the game has been relatively stable on an overall level. As always, people can never be satisfied and there's always something to complain about.

Overall, individual players are incentivized to level up and rank skills up quickly as the newer storylines become overwhelmingly challenging for the easy going players.

There's always people leaving, some returnees and some new players. Population wise, it's still stable enough to prevent the game from being axed.

As one of Nexon's original staple games, it's definitely worth coming back having a look.

Customer service as improved since way back, but remember you will have to provide as much necessary info as they need to help you with your problems and always have enough patience to wait for a reply. They are people like you, and treating them with respect will in turn treat you the customer with respect.

While 6 mil is no longer considered rich, you can still get by with that amount and it's a lot easier to earn more gold now than back then.

Customer service was improved for a time, until 2020 at least, also Nexon's 3 staple originals for NA were Nexus TK, Darkages, and Shattered Galaxy before they funneled them off to KRU Interactive. I disagree with getting by with 6mil, that's considered "repair money" to most people now, unless you specifically focus on equipment with low repair costs.

The AFK ratio is a 60% afk to 40% active in my eyes, probably lower it's just a rough estimate based on what i see. People stick to very specific friend groups when running content and usually will shun other players from my experiences (ultimately stemming from another FUD topic).

As far as my resentment goes toward this game, I am convinced that we are intentionally kept on the "edge of misery" which that opinion is ultimately also FUD.

Customer service was improved for a time, until 2020 at least, also Nexon's 3 staple originals for NA were Nexus TK, Darkages, and Shattered Galaxy before they funneled them off to KRU Interactive. I disagree with getting by with 6mil, that's considered "repair money" to most people now, unless you specifically focus on equipment with low repair costs.

The AFK ratio is a 60% afk to 40% active in my eyes, probably lower it's just a rough estimate based on what i see. People stick to very specific friend groups when running content and usually will shun other players from my experiences (ultimately stemming from another FUD topic).

As far as my resentment goes toward this game, I am convinced that we are intentionally kept on the "edge of misery" which that opinion is ultimately also FUD.

None of the 3 games you've mentioned are still in service. The only key current game still in service is Maplestory. With Mabinogi and Vindictus as minor market games that are also still in service that has outlasted all the negativity that people have lobbed towards them.

I don't know about the 2nd half of this year, but generally I have heard very few complaints about customer service when valid tickets are submitted with how it is recommended to submit the tickets.

As for the AFK, it has been an issue for almost a decade. In the end, while most people will hang with their cliques, there still exists a considerable amount of players who are openly active, but it really comes down to chance for interaction, and there is always opportunity for you to join their cliques as well.

What people commonly do these days is announce their return on the server thread or here as well as on the various discussion threads on Discord and there are plenty of people to talk to.

For all the issues that you've listed on your experience, there are easy solutions and alternatives.

I personally think you're stuck in a pessimistic/cynical zone where you don't expect things to get better.
  • VimaVima
    I'm pessimistic because Nexon has shown no real attempts at getting rid of the actual problem causers and instead go after the people that end up reacting to the ones causing problems. As a certain person said "Don't rock the boat" I took that as a warning that if I do I will be banned. Rocking the boat being exposing the problem causers.

Marking my post as FUD since it is an opinion that is detrimental to Nexon.
    I'm pessimistic because Nexon has shown no real attempts at getting rid of the actual problem causers and instead go after the people that end up reacting to the ones causing problems. As a certain person said "Don't rock the boat" I took that as a warning that if I do I will be banned. Rocking the boat being exposing the problem causers.

Oof.

What are the actual problem causers? Other players?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited October 2, 2020

Not siding with Nexon but you may have a little delusion going on there. Not everything is a huge conspiracy. Plus there are two sides to every story. Makes you wonder, a little bit ya know?

-stares-

But I don't care enough to dig because as I told you - I tend to stay out of such matters and just enjoy the game. I'm sorry that is so difficult for you.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited October 2, 2020
    Crimsọn wrote: »

Not siding with Nexon but you may have a little delusion going on there. Not everything is a huge conspiracy. Plus there are two sides to every story. Makes you wonder, a little bit ya know?

-stares-

But I don't care enough to dig because as I told you - I tend to stay out of such matters and just enjoy the game. I'm sorry that is so difficult for you.

Vima does have a bit of a point though: Nexon does tend to muff things; a lot. For me though, I don't think it's mindful and deliberate, on the part of Nexon, but incompetence rather. Take the server merge, for instance, we the players (with no inside information) knew that a partial merge was the worst-case scenario and that either no merge or a full merge were better choices, and we knew this even before it was announced. Look where it stands now: Alexina is atrophying, and Nexon has presently painted themself into a corner, by not having a full merge, so that fixing it will be a huge self (Nexon) made mess.

We've all heard of Occam's Razor but it's not the only famous "Razor" there is also Hanlon's Razor. I believe it neatly explains the actions of Nexon that vex us all.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Helsa wrote: »

-stares-

Vima does have a bit of a point though: Nexon does tend to muff things; a lot. For me though, I don't think it's mindful and deliberate, on the part of Nexon, but incompetence rather. Take the server merge, for instance, we the players (with no inside information) knew that a partial merge was the worst-case scenario and that either no merge or a full merge were better choices, and we knew this even before it was announced. Look where it stands now: Alexina is atrophying, and Nexon has presently painted themself into a corner, by not having a full merge, so that fixing it will be a huge self (Nexon) made mess.

We've all heard of Occam's Razor but it's not the only famous "Razor" there is also Hanlon's Razor. I believe it neatly explains the actions of Nexon that vex us all.

They are not referring to the merge at this point.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Helsa wrote: »
    ... Take the server merge, for instance, ...
    They are not referring to the merge at this point.
    Perhaps you skimmed?
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited October 16, 2020
    From what I've counted:
    You can at least 15 personally identifiable alts named directly after your main account's main character. Both for events and mission spam. And it's totally fine. Maybe even more

In fact, if you try to report them: the person at the other end will just mark YOUR ticket as 'you used an alt to report this person, therefore the ticket is now invalid'. Probably even if you only have a single character on your entire account
    edited October 2, 2020
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    From what I've counted:
    You can have up to 15 personally identifiable alts named directly after your main account's main character.

And it's totally fine. In fact, if you try to report them: the person at the other end will just mark your ticket as 'you used an alt to report this person, therefore the ticket is now invalid'

lmao
    That's troublesome, but hilarious. They should at least just state what the rules actually are as defined by the ToS.

This is what I think Vima's problem with Nexon is: it keeps looking like things are results of incompetence, but the responses to being called out look like they're fully aware of what's going on and are actually complicit.
    I think people like Vima would feel better if Nexon Staff and associates would just tell us what the plans are and stop being shady about so much.
    It would also help if they would be more consistent about when they apply rules. I don't have any other examples I can verify outside the obvious conflicts I've personally run into with Nexon (which actually amounts to zero if you don't count Discord drama) and the obvious changes made to our community events, like the tomb Key Event.

At some point, we have to stop turning a blind eye to the obvious. When we do this is up to the majority and I'm not hopeful. I'm just here to do content at this point and let the cogs turn as they do, because I know people would much prefer to just keep their heads down, maintain the child-like atmosphere of innocence and purity, and not ask questions and -- to reiterate Vima's received response -- not "rock the boat." If you've ever lived under gang rule or mafia style rule, this is exactly what it feels like.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited October 2, 2020
    It was declared in writing yes. But it probably should be officially written in the official list of things you can and can't do. So I guess have fun alt spamming?

That way it can't be dishonestly enforced like what a Chatango moderator does when they personally don't like a single individual and nobody is there to watch them abuse that. It'd be silly if they were okay with one altspammer but not another

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Aside from that. . . Mabinogi doesn't have a globalchat, so the game has constantly looked lonely for the years I've been playing it. It's better to make friends if you're going to play for that long. Hard to enjoy a game through vicarious-means if there's no globalchat
    edited October 2, 2020
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    It'd be silly if they were okay with one altspammer but not another

Hahaha, yeah. That'd be weird. Good thing that's never happened! Haha...
    Mabinogi doesn't have a globalchat, so the game has constantly looked lonely for the years I've been playing it. It's better to make friends if you're going to play for that long.
    I'd say the Discord was supposed to serve that purpose.
    I'll reserve my own judgments as to whether that intention succeeded or failed.
    I don't think the issue is whether or not you can chat with people. I think the issue is how people spend their time. I don't have any issue meeting people, personally. People like being around players they can do things with in the game. Some of the most active people I've seen are generally doing newer content, not sitting around Taillteann and Tara Shadow Mission altars. Though, sometimes they like to go meme around in Lords and Shadow Wizard. ;^)

It's an open-world game. As you would in reality, you'd have to go where people generally congregate to find people to hang with. Well, if that's true and people generally congregate around newer content, that's where you need to be to meet people. That's why we have all these events trying to push people into getting ready for newer content. But, alas, they just derp about in Tir and Dunby every day, complaining about "no AP" during x2 AP events, free rebirth pots and forgetfuls, and 50 AP every day just for logging in and doing a couple SM dailies...

But, I'm biased. I generally play solo and alone and have pretty much done so for my entire time playing. I don't come out and interact with players often and only do so if I just happen to catch someone saying something ridiculous to a newbie about progression or someone's asking to run content.
  • VimaVima
    edited October 3, 2020
    To address everything that has been said so far, Yes Nexon is keeping us in the dark about SO MANY things. Also, yes many of the things I believe to be true about Nexon are on the level of conspiracies. However; many of the topics I wish to discuss are considered FUD, I truly wish Nexon at the BARE MINIMUM would be more transparent with us. I don't see transparency happening since the FUD conspiracies (if true) prevent them from being transparent. Even the gacha rates get changed and are not consistent day-to-day same with events, the vacation event magical piece drop rate was one of the most BLATANT changes compared to 2018 and they made NO mention of the change of drop rate.

Edit: Would like to point out to Kensamaofmari that the three games i mentioned earlier are still in service under the subsidiary of Nexon, KRU interactive. Please do your research before making a claim, thanks.