Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Reordering skills. How to make the change stick?

Atheist42Atheist42
Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
in Help
In the skills window, it's possible to reorder the skills by dragging the icons up or down in the list. I like to resort my skills so the fully trained skills are at the end of the list, so that when I click on the tab the skills I see are the ones I'm still training.

But for the skill tabs containing lots of skills, if I reorder some skills, log out and log back in, the game has forgotten all the reordering I did and the skills are back in their previous order.

Except it doesn't ALWAYS forget the reordering. Sometimes it does remember the swap, and I've been trying to figure out precisely when that happens.. Here's what I've got so far.

If I just swap the first skill in the list with any one of the skills lower down in the list, then exit to the character selection screen, the go back into the character, then it will sometimes remember that swap. BUT, if that does happen, and then I try to do a second swap on that same tab, then exit to the character selection screen, then go back into the character, then what I USUALLY find is that not only was that 2nd swap not remembered, but the 1st swap has been reverted too, so I'm back where I started from. And I said usually there, because every now and then I find the 2nd swap forgotten, but the first swap has been remembered. So very, very slowly I am making progress on getting skills ordered how I want them.

Has anyone figured out what makes it remember the changes?

One other issue that might be relevant, or maybe not: My memory is that when I first started playing this game a decade or so back, I could reorder the skills however I liked and the game would always remember the new order. And then at some point it stopped being able to remember the reordering for some of the tabs. At the time my guess was that the addition of extra skills to those tabs might be the issue. So maybe somewhere in the code dealing with saving skill order a programmer assumed a tab would never have more than say 10 skills, so when new skills pushed a tab beyond 10 skills, skills could still be reordered but the program could no longer remember the changes after reloging. But then 3 servers got merged into Nao. As part of that server merge the game lost all memory of my reordering and presented the skills in a different order. The weird thing was that immediately following that merger, I could again rearrange the skills however I pleased and the game remembered all my changes, even for the tabs that previously had problems. At least, it remembered them for a couple of weeks after the merge. And then for the tabs with lots of skills it went back to forgetting things again. This makes me wonder whether each tab has a maximum number of swaps that it can normally remember, and when we hit that limit it will only remember the change in some special circumstances that I can't figure out.

Comments

• AdenoAdeno
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,595
    That's a very interesting problem you have. I've never experienced it but let me share my opinion anyway.

Have you tried running the game as an Administrator? As in right click the Mabinogi icon, click Run as Administrator.

I don't know for sure if the order of a character's skills are client sided or server sided. If it's client sided (as in the settings are saved on your computer), then maybe running the game as Administrator will allow Mabinogi to save the skill order somewhere in the Mabinogi folder. Of course that doesn't explain why it sometimes work, sometimes doesn't.

It could be server sided (settings are saved on Nexon'x game servers, not your computer). If this is the case, then maybe the game server was experiencing high stress levels when you were trying to save your skill order and it failed to save it correctly. It's like lag, except it only managed to save information a few seconds ago before you logged out with a new order of your skills.

Anyway I hope this problem goes away and doesn't bother you again.
  • Atheist42Atheist42
    Adeno wrote: »
    Have you tried running the game as an Administrator? As in right click the Mabinogi icon, click Run as Administrator.

I don't have a Mabinogi icon. I run Nexon Launcher, which has to be run as administrator, and then launch Mabinogi from within that. I've been doing it that way from well before the server merge, so that does include the short period after the server merge where the game was remembering all my skill reordering.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Settings are saved when you properly exit the game. Perhaps logging out, to the soul-stream and channel changing does as well. Probably you are doing this but be mindful that you are to ensure there is a problem, because this is the first thing tech support is gonna have you do anyway. As for remembering old set-ups, the game or the computer itself can take screenshots.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    edited October 19, 2020
    I believe only the first 9 skills in each tab will stay the same after organizing them... even if you change them and log out anything after the 9th will change back to what is was before... it has been this way for many many years...
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Since nobody else seems who's posting here has it figured out yet I will tell you the correct answer :

When you've re-arranged your skill-icons, skill-hot-keys, etc., for them to remain there on a «server-side save» you must exit out of the Mabi-Client completely; not just to the character-select screen, not just to server-selection, but a literal «Exit Game» that makes you have to re-load and re-start the client again from the Launcher (or which-ever «launcher» you may happen to be using rather). Make SURE to Client-Exit the MOMENT you have ALL of your «hot-keys» set the way you want, because if the Mabi-Client crashes from any type of Out-of-Memory errors, your hot-keys will end up being reverted back to where they were before you moved them to where you wanted.
  • Atheist42Atheist42
    I believe only the first 9 skills in each tab will stay the same after organizing them... even if you change them and log out anything after the 9th will change back to what is was before... it has been this way for many many years...

Cool. I've just done some tests and yes, 9 seems to be a magic number. Changes in the first 9 skills are remembered. Changes after the first 9 are mostly lost.

But if I look beyond the first 9 skills, there are some skills that I think I deliberately sorted there. In the original I mentioned that the game does sometime remember a swap if it involves the top skill in the list. I've retested and that does sometimes work when I swap the first skill with another that is not in the first 9.

• Atheist42Atheist42
    Habimaru wrote: »
    you must exit out of the Mabi-Client completely; not just to the character-select screen, not just to server-selection, but a literal «Exit Game» that makes you have to re-load and re-start the client again from the Launcher (or which-ever «launcher» you may happen to be using rather). ... because if the Mabi-Client crashes from any type of Out-of-Memory errors, your hot-keys will end up being reverted back to where they were before you moved them to where you wanted.

OK. Tried that, and it's not remembering my changes when I swap 2 skills beyond the first skills 9 in the tab. When I exited the game completely, it didn't crash or report an error. And of course it's not impossible that there is some error happening that is failing to visibly report.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Ah, sorry, anything beyond the ninth (9th) (from Skill-Tabs) won't be «saved in order» since you can only hot-key skills for the first (1st) nine (9) abilities. What you can do, how-ever, is set the top nine skill-keys for each skill-tab. I will elaborate solely for clarity...

I have all of my hot-keys for the first nine (9) abilities of the current skill-tab set as F, D, T, S, Ctrl+D, Q, G, W, E. I have it set up specifically this way because most of those letters can correspond to names of skills I set, plus, due to all of the letters being on the left side of the key-board, I don't have to let go of the mouse in order to be able to simultaneously use the skills without using up the hot-keys slots that are located at the top of the screen.

The way I have my keys set is that I can switch between skill-tabs using «Shift+NumPad[#0-9]» (this is different from the default). For my first (1st) skill-tab [Shift+NumPad1], that is where my «All-Skills» Skill-Tab is switched to quickly (including being able to set/access skills from the «Hidden» Skill-Tab here), from which I can access a combination of skills from different talents quickly using my F/D/T/S/Ctrl+D/Q/G/W/E keys, Shift+NumPad2 goes to the Life-Skills since it's the second (2nd) skill-tab (and thus my F-to-E hot-keys will correspond to the top nine [9] Life-Skills), Shift+NumPad3 for Warrior-Skills (and thus my F-to-E hot-keys will correspond to the top nine skills set in the Warrior-Tab), Shift+NumPad4 for Magic-Tab Skills, Shift+NumPad5 for Alchemist Skill-Tab, etc., all the way up to Shift+NumPad0 which goes to my Ninja-Skills Skill-Tab.

I will put something together with visuals for more clarity later but, for now, I will show how my hot-keys set-up is (mostly) sometimes deliberate & not random. If you haven't taken advantage of its flexibility yet, getting used to a new set of hot-keys can take some work & effort, but it is worth it in the end:

Flame-Burst (Shift+NumPad5 [Alch-Tab] then pressing the F key [hot-keyed])
    Re-LoaD (Shift+NumPad9 [Guns-Tab] then pressing the D key[hot-keyed])
    Dance-of-Death (Shift+NumPad7 [Music-Tab] then pressing the D key[hot-keyed])
    PierroT Marionette (Shift+NumPad8 [Puppets-Tab] then pressing the T key [hot-keyed])
    Smoke-Screen (Shift+NumPad0 [Ninja-Tab] then pressing the S key [hot-keyed])
    (Follow Me) Enthralling PerFormance (Shift+NumPad7 [Music-Tab] then pressing the F key [hot-keyed])
    Ctrl+Dischord (Shift+NumPad7 [Music-Tab] then holding down Ctrl & pressing the D key [hot-keyed])
    (Gathering Speed) Harvest-Song (Shift+NumPad2 [Life-Tab] then pressing the G key [hot-keyed])
    (Weapons-Power) Battle-Field Overture (Shift+NumPad7 [Music-Tab] then pressing the W key [hot-keyed])
    etc.

I describe this because of how many people who have been on Mabinogi for many years whom I had encountered in-world who didn't seem to know about making use of the hot-keys in this manner. As you all can see, this allows me to use ONE (1) hot-key for multiple skills, provided I first Quick-Switch to the correct Skill-Tab, thus my F key is used for Blaze (Fighter-Type Mage), Fishing, Final-Hit (Human-Characters), Final-Shot (Elf-Char), Flame-Burst, Fast-Hit Fighter-Skill (i.e.: Charging Strike), Enthralling PerFormance, Flinging a Target (i.e.: Wire-Pull), D also as a hot-key for multiple skills, WinD-Blast, just like with various other assigned letters as hot-keys, etc.

There is currently no available hot-keys options to Quick-Switch Skill-Tabs to Chain-Blade, Hidden-Tab, Beast, Demi-God, Crusader, Divinity or Unlearned (not that the Unlearned Tab necessarily needs a way to be Quick-Accessed). Those either have to be clicked on Manually from the Skill-Window for me to use my FDTSQGWE set-up or I must use the upper-row hot-keys located at the top of the screen to access skills from those tabs quickly. Hope this helps someone out !
    Atheist42 wrote: »
    Habimaru wrote: »
    you must exit out of the Mabi-Client completely; not just to the character-select screen, not just to server-selection, but a literal «Exit Game» that makes you have to re-load and re-start the client again from the Launcher (or which-ever «launcher» you may happen to be using rather). ... because if the Mabi-Client crashes from any type of Out-of-Memory errors, your hot-keys will end up being reverted back to where they were before you moved them to where you wanted.
    OK. Tried that, and it's not remembering my changes when I swap 2 skills beyond the first skills 9 in the tab. When I exited the game completely, it didn't crash or report an error. And of course it's not impossible that there is some error happening that is failing to visibly report.
    Bronzebreak