Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Mabinogi genuinely effects my mental health.

Comments

• Pip-BoyPip-Boy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    edited October 23, 2020
    Mabi rewards you more for intelligent play than sheer effort, although you're free to do the latter if you want. While it's tempting to spend days grinding through the game to make progress you'll burn yourself out and come to resent all the time you've put into it and how it's overwhelmed your life. You're better off learning the mechanics of the game and then pacing yourself through it by optimizing your time spent. The difference between being efficient and inefficient is spending an hour or several days for similar results. For instance you could spend half an hour a week leveling to 150 or spend several days per week to get to 200 and the former is almost always the better option. I consider myself a hardcore player, but even as I log in every day my non-afk time is limited to maybe an hour.

Similarly gachapon is a necessary evil to milk players with poor impulse control, but I'm still able to buy what I want by saving up gold from daily activities. The game conditions you with random rewards all the time but focus on what you have and be reasonable with your own resources and it shouldn't bother you as much.

My interactions with the community is limited to daily girg raids but it's been positive overall. Most everyone has a good time aside from the person hosting who people go out of the way to torment and there's little in the way of partisan politics which is amazingly rare in online communities and a very welcome change. I can't say I understand your situation but if you're in a toxic group I think you should try to change your environment. The game isn't as big as it used to be but the community has different pockets you can make yourself a part of. It sucks to stop interacting with people, but sometimes it is a necessity.
    Momma_SophieWolfsinger
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited October 25, 2020
    People are always going to misconstrue things people say. Hell, with my rep I don't even have to say anything. I hear about crap people made up that is still being circulated to this day.

But there is nothing you can do about that. There is nothing I can do about it.

Haters are going to hate, no one can stop them except themselves. I think once I accepted that fact and just focused on the game and started playing at my own pace and not giving a flying bleep about inconsequentials that I truly actually started to enjoy the game for myself. Certain other people do have a negative impact on your experience and well being. Sometimes you need to take a step back and evaluate the people you associate with. But I don't believe in entirely limiting your interaction with others - that's also not healthy.

I actually had one of my enemies from back in Ruairi apologize to me last night after all these years. We chatted for a little bit and I accepted their apology. They don't even play Mabinogi anymore but they remembered me. lol.

That's another thing...a lot of you are still pretty young. A lot of you still have a lot of growing up to do. I think some of you are finally starting to do so and that actually makes me smile. There was no point in ever being distressed or angry because I too am always growing and changing as a person. Everyone does over the years.
    WolfsingerRadiant DawnHelsa
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Find your own fun.

I stopped caring about catching up to meta/latest fashion trend/or doing every single events the game recycle every year.

Mabi is now treated like a money managing/trading simulator for me.

It's game over if I go broke. The endgame is to be a trillionaire. The market place is the playground. Hoarding assets for trading leverages and economic powerplays. Spending some real life money in gachas to obtain bartering advantages.

And then making sure in having the slush funds money to spend on some rare trophies such as my 600m FSN set.

Find your niche and just try to be the best at it like me, and you won't be stressed out.
  • RaflaRafla
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    Mabinogi has always been and always will be my relaxing MMORPG, I still grind and do dungeons but I like the idea that I can just chill with random people or jam with some cool songs especially after doing a bunch of hard raids In whatever MMO I was playing at the time, I get lucky and always meet great people maybe it's becuse I stay in a less populated Chanel or maybe its my server but I almost always have a great time, It sucks sometimes I cant afford some of them but at the end of the day I know i can always save up and one day get that cool outfit, even if it's late and no one really cares any more I do and im happy becuse I like it. I feel like I'm just rambulling now but the point is don't stress about money IRL or ingame you can always get it and if you find some people are toxic just black list them and find some other people.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited October 27, 2020
    Going to be that person who recommends this, but perhaps Mabinogi has changed too much for you, and you need to move on. I don't particularly know what issues trouble you the most. The game, in my view, isn't going to lighten up in terms of the gachapon, or its game design.

Moving onto something that has stayed with you for a long time is difficult, but perhaps Mabinogi is no longer the game you once enjoyed, and perhaps it never will be. Take a break, see how it makes you feel. I always like to pick up a few hobbies.

I didn't quit, but I definitely play a lot less now. I don't enjoy the game as much because I felt it was being increasingly dumbed down in terms of mechanics, and I'll be poor if I chose to invest time and money into this, and various other games.

As they say, there's no point in horsing a dead beat.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Well in the old days they'd say adversity builds character. Maybe Mabinogi is the crucible forging a new generation of world-beaters. Or maybe its just turning us all into neurotic ne'er-do-wells.
  • roseangelroseangel
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    Idk if OP is still checking this thread but nevertheless.
    Mabinogi has a big nostalgia factor for me. I played it when I was younger (and didn't know literally anything about mmo's). But, eventually, I lost interest in it before returning some years later and have been a casual player since then. What keeps me sane about most video games is, honestly, not engaging with lots of people. Sure, I'm in a guild and love talking to others because it's an mmo, but staying out of big drama and focusing on just yourself or a small group saves lots of grief. I'm one of those people that is very affected (effected?) by what other people say, even online. I've developed a thicker skin, but another thing that I do is just avoid that kind of stuff entirely. As for gachas, I'm guilty of buying into them. I basically forced myself to lower my expectations because the rates can be Like That.
    But, OP, if the game really bothers you that bad, I want to reinforce what others have said and step away from the game. Give yourself as much time as you need to figure it out and come back to see how it makes you feel. If you still hate it, then it may be best to leave Mabinogi behind. There's no shame for walking away from something that makes you feel bad.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    edited October 28, 2020
    I don't think OP has been back here for a while but, when it comes to anything Gacha-related, I usually never bother with it unless during a Full-Moon-Phase; the reason I do this is because there is for some reason a statistical-correlation of a slightly higher chance of obtaining the rares during such time and so if there is anything related to accumulating points for any types of summon-gachas or other gacha requiring tickets, magic-jewels, gems, etc., unless they would expire anyway, you would be correct to guess that I would just hoard & save them up for use this upcoming All Hallow's Eve (Halloween), due to the fact that it will be a Full-Moon-Night...

Anyway, progress in Mabinogi has ended up slowing or rather even coming to a grinding halt for me because I've basically lost momentum from a rather lengthy login-disruption, although I might make a couple more Mabinogi-related videos that may be of assistance to some people, tutorial-style, regarding hot-keys and how to clear Avalon-Bridge/Elite with consistent 2000+ points by the end, I have too many other matters of higher-priority that will be taking up much more of my time as I have been building momentum for those particular activities (non-gaming productive projects that are important for me to build-upon), and so those two videos just described will probably be the last two Mabinogi-related videos that I produce when I get to creating/finishing them...
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    Habimaru wrote: »
    I don't think OP has been back here for a while but, when it comes to anything Gacha-related, I usually never bother with it unless during a Full-Moon-Phase; the reason I do this is because there is for some reason a statistical-correlation of a slightly higher chance of obtaining the rares during such time and so if there is anything related to accumulating points for any types of summon-gachas or other gacha requiring tickets, magic-jewels, gems, etc., unless they would expire anyway, you would be correct to guess that I would just hoard & save them up for use this upcoming All Hallow's Eve (Halloween), due to the fact that it will be a Full-Moon-Night...

But SoG isn't a thing. :Rolleyes:
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    Vima wrote: »
    I would like to say after struggling to play this game for years on end, this game has done nothing but negatively effect my mental health.
    From how the community treats each other, to the gachapon and it's rates. I have always felt ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE playing this game.
    I'm asking for help on either A.How to enjoy this game again; or B. What to do instead

I also would like to know how Mabinogi makes you feel about yourself.

idunno, game was funner before the shakespeare crap was released, the community generally treated eachother better too because most of the content wasnt doable solo unless you were pretty endgame (if that even existed back then because it felt like there was no end to it) gachas wasn't so heavily focused and the content didnt feel as messy as it does today, most of the toxicity i remember here was just mostly in the forums anyways. I havent played the game for years though so i dont know hows it really like now but im not encouraged to come back anytime soon. These days i just find myself rotating through multiple games, both single player and multiplayer focus and im quite content with that.
    AlmostNotsuper
  • ArbiterTheIconoclastArbiterTheIconoclast
    Mabinogi Rep: 305
    This is going to be kind of an introspective response, since I've played this game off and on since the very beginning in 2008. I've quit, returned, competed, burnt out, and vanished more times than I can recall at this point.

I'm sure there's many reasons for that, but at the end of the day this is one of my favorite games and a unique and timeless experience. I've had some very harsh words for Nexon and devCat in the past, but having witnessed the game grow, most of my major complaints with how the cash shop, in-game mechanics, and game balancing were concerned have been addressed over time. Nexon has become unrecognizably generous with their events and monetization IMO (compared to 2012-2015) and the constant QOL updates, catch-up mechanics, and regularly updated resources make the game extremely accessible now, which was an initial fear about coming back.

I used to be extremely competitive before I deleted my old account, and of course Mabinogi becomes somewhat exploitative and dangerous when you get into Whaling waters, but the simple reality of the matter is that is not necessary to play the game or enjoy almost all of its content anymore. Eventually the extra damage becomes cosmetic, because AFAIK no content requires you to deal the maximum amount of damage you're mathematically capable of, so the end game competition becomes Battle Fashionogi ultimately. The "power creep" that bothered me while I was current with the game has now become convenient, and having access to more options earlier makes the game feel way less rigid, stressful, and linear.

I'm (still) a huge fan of "number go up" in my RPGs and fell victim to reforging my bank account, but Nexon has become WAY more generous with its event rewards and attendance/loyalty gifts which have made my current experience very comfortable before even spending a dollar. Having gone to play other MMOs made me appreciate Mabinogi more. At worst, I don't really NEED anything in the cash shop to enjoy the game. At best, there's actually useful items and attractive cosmetics that I want to spend money on. I spent 5,000 hours playing Tree of Savior, a game whose economy explicitly revolves around the cash shop due to dev design decisions removing in-game currency making opportunities, and is explicitly sanctioned RMT with in-game currency, instance passes (that make you money and are tradable), and fully crafted gear being included in large package deals every other week. Mabinogi might not have tons of ways to hard-grind money quickly, but you can still make money in-game ultimately it's on the players to arbitrarily inflate the market prices for NX/premium/raid items.

As far as the community goes, I've seen my fair share of good and bad over 12 years, not really sure what it's like currently, just vibing on some grinding with old friends. For the good: There have been people I've known since 2010 I've been in regular contact with the entire time BECAUSE of Mabinogi. These have been some of the most reliable, kind, friendly, entertaining, kindred people I've met on or offline, and in some instances both. I still have friends who play too, or who have also returned after long hiatuses.

For the bad: the internet, particularly online games, are a great way to compound mental illness or make a negative outlook worse and Mabinogi is no exception. If it has been that harmful you can leave and come back later, or change your in-game social environments to be around more positive/friendly/entertaining people. There's really no shame in separating yourself from something that been harmful, on the contrary it is expected. Distance from the game has made me realize time and time again what a gem it is, despite some of Nexon's efforts.
    AlmostNotsuper
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Not sure if I should refer to this as an apples to oranges comparison or some other metaphor but SoG is not only a misnomer (more-appropriately named Stray-Arrow Periodic-Hit Range-Surpassing Precise-Shot or something similar) but literally has no real benefit while consistently costing a minimum of plenty of arrows before being able to achieve a hit; if you want to make a 《science》 out of the statistical-results of landing shots taking less arrows during a Full-Moon-Phase than other days, then maybe it would be a closer 《phenomenon 》 comparison, but Gacha are considered to be mostly based on pure luck while Range-Defying Shot (not going to call it the misnomer of SoG) seems to be more of a hit-once-every-dozen-out-of-range-times-after-waiting-for-the-aim-meter-to-get-to-100-percent-if-this-were-actually-in-range activity.

If you and/or others are willing to field-test it and collect the statistics on it and put it into a chart it could certainly make for potentially interesting active forum-discussion.
    Habimaru wrote: »
    But SoG isn't a thing. :Rolleyes:
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited October 29, 2020
    Eventually the extra damage becomes cosmetic, because AFAIK no content requires you to deal the maximum amount of damage you're mathematically capable of, so the end game competition becomes Battle Fashionogi ultimately.

No, once you've hit the minimum required damage, you've done it. You're now able to clear the content... probably takes you forever and you probably still need help, but you can! Great!

So, here's the question: Why DO people continue to grow their power? Well, I'll tell you. Efficiency. Yes, efficiency! Did you know that grinding content faster via doing more damage and using better strategies means you make more profits? Ah, yes! See, when you can clear Abyssal Lord Elite in 15 minutes -- alone -- as opposed to 120 minutes per run, you can make profits off of the drops more quickly because you use less durability and can do eight more runs in the -- say -- 2 hours of free time you have to play! That means you can farm more materials more quickly and buy more of that fashion you've always wanted to wear while you afk beside the light post near the Dunbarton bank!

It doesn't stop there, friend! You can spend less gold buying crafting materials and erg materials you need to improve your Alchemy gear you've always (hypothetically, calm down) been complaining about since the dawn of time, because you can just farm it all yourself in no time! Plus, you make more gold doing that anyway as you sell off the things you don't need as you speed grind through Alby HM and Tech Duinn with your explosive damage! Rad, right!? I know! It's crazy!

It gets even better! You can even save up some of that efficiently grinded gold you've been hoarding and buy yourself some neat, rare Echostones and even rarer dual/triple reforged gear complete with Gacha-exclusive enchants to improve your clear time for other content, meaning you can start farming other stuff, too!

Calling the idea of going above and beyond "cosmetic" and boiling it down as some sort of "tryhard/competitive" initiative is exactly why people struggle to even get ahead in the game. Not everyone is an egotistical brainlet that feels like they have to be better than the other players in every way just for the sake of being better. There's no competition in the game, anyway, unless you count Clobbermeister. Then, by all means, stroke that ego all day and night!
    HelsaRadiant Dawn
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited October 29, 2020
    . . .

Well exactly. I get laughed at because I run around with off-the-shelf weapons that I don't even bother to enchant or upgrade. When you have stuff like that you don't exactly care if Ferghus breaks it. Ferghus is cheaper than he is shiitake mushrooms. Once Ferghus has mangled my stuff enough I just buy a new one and the process begins again. Sure I don't hit as hard as other folks but, I mean, I figure you can just hit the monster again; I know how to dodge. I see so many people get super OP and their fighting skills deteriorate because their OP-ness covers for the drop in the quality of their skill use.
    ArbiterTheIconoclastWolfsinger
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    i did sell my soul for some nexon cash to get that sweet gachinogi fashion going on
    edited October 30, 2020

I may be misreading this post but there seems to be an air of passive aggressiveness in it that I'm going to choose to ignore. I don't know what about "I've been playing this game for 12 years and competed" encouraged you to explain efficiency to me, but OK. Point taken

Yes being stronk make monsters go dead faster. You don't even have to do combat ultimately to make money, but of course you will make more if you're farming end-game content quickly. The point is that these outcomes are self-imposed and arbitrary, and you don't need to be a mabi billionaire or have fully reforged, upgraded, erged, special upgraded, and enchanted gear to play or enjoy the game. You don't have to be an elitist to have fun or enjoy the game or its contents, and you don't have to be in a to competing guild, have end-game gear, or raid regularly. Also the people who usually complain about the egotistical brainlets ARE the egotistical brainlets.

Nothing about that is why players have trouble "getting ahead" in Mabinogi.

You also save money when you're not wearing gear that's x5-x30 repair costs that is so expensive that you have to wait for free repairs to even use it. Been there done that, for some people (including me) that is fun, but that isn't Mabinogi ultimately.

• HelsaHelsa
    You also save money when you're not wearing gear that's x5-x30 repair costs that is so expensive that you have to wait for free repairs to even use it. Been there done that, for some people (including me) that is fun, but that isn't Mabinogi ultimately.

Yep, you can compensate for having "modest" gear by using your skills properly and some tactical strategy. I don't even trans or wear armour anymore, usually because I forget to and, of course sometimes, just to show off; I'm only hu...er giant after all.

When I was new to the game and didn't know how to fight, I'd read these how-can-you-find-this-game-so-hard-when-it's-so-easy post-and-boasts and would get annoyed by them. Mabinogi is like so many things: it IS easy /once you know how/ but, until you know how, it's hard. There are folks playing this game that have found success by forever chasing better gear and by it's possession overcoming adversity through albeit brilliant logistics but sloppy tactics and skill use. They dish out more than they take which is a clumsy but still technically effective approach. Many new players are taught "how to fight" but such folks. When they encounter an enemy that their gear is not good enough for them to dish out more than they take then this sometimes results in frustrated posts made in these forums, then, this being internet and to quote Captain Quint: "sharks come a cruisin', Chief."
    edited October 30, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »

Yep, you can compensate for having "modest" gear by using your skills properly and some tactical strategy. I don't even trans or wear armour anymore, usually because I forget to and, of course sometimes, just to show off; I'm only hu...er giant after all.

When I was new to the game and didn't know how to fight, I'd read these how-can-you-find-this-game-so-hard-when-it's-so-easy post-and-boasts and would get annoyed by them. Mabinogi is like so many things: it IS easy /once you know how/ but, until you know how, it's hard. There are folks playing this game that have found success by forever chasing better gear and by it's possession overcoming adversity through albeit brilliant logistics but sloppy tactics and skill use. They dish out more than they take which is a clumsy but still technically effective approach. Many new players are taught "how to fight" but such folks. When they encounter an enemy that their gear is not good enough for them to dish out more than they take then this sometimes results in frustrated posts made in these forums, then, this being internet and to quote Captain Quint: "sharks come a cruisin', Chief."

I grew up with the game pre-dynamic combat where skills had load times and no cooldowns, so battle strategy was essential to learn. There was also only Close Combat, Archery, Life Skill, and Magic talents so the game was significantly more difficult and there were less options to avoid taking damage and none to mitigate damage (besides WM, counter, and defense). Your highest defense armor option was 6/4 with no accessories, and the best available potions were HP 50s. This game used to be much more difficult and brutal and a lot of combat was centered around just not getting hit at all and managing aggro, since Windmill was also the only AoE skill.

While a lot of changes and "power creep" the game became more forgiving, which I think allows more variety for experimentation and especially expression. Since a player's damage is tied to stats and not exclusively gear, you can get strong enough to do whatever you want ultimately if you just progress your character (whether or not your emphasis is on combat). I've been back for a week and I've been doing life skills and content with my bare hands. The amount of stats you get from Might of Ladeca/Shrine of Eweca even at low level makes you strong enough to do Hard level/pre-G21 content solo and entirely gearless.

Considering capping your main damage stats isn't really difficult if you keep playing the game, you get a ton of free usable gear from doing content (demonic/potential/brionac/seal armor), and you can become mechanically more talented with practice, you'll eventually become strong enough to do g21+ content without "try-harding." You'll inevitably end up there with enough effort, which I believe is the "spirit" of Mabinogi.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Helsa wrote: »
    Sure I don't hit as hard as other folks but, I mean, I figure you can just hit the monster again; I know how to dodge. I see so many people get super OP and their fighting skills deteriorate because their OP-ness covers for the drop in the quality of their skill use.

Lagging frames taught me how to roll with the punches in this game, forget dodging XD Game lags out and I come back 3-5 minutes later being thrown around like a ragdoll. Good times.
    Basically though....I don't have the money or patience to go through the mania of endgame items and such, so I just learned my own way around getting things done. Its not a 'one shot one kill' method but hey, it gets the job done.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    What is thread about again?
    Helsa
This discussion has been closed.