Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Announcement Regarding Mabinogi Web Posts

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
edited November 2, 2020 in Notices
Hello Milletians,

We wanted to share some exciting news! We are currently in the process of revamping the Mabinogi website to better match existing Nexon websites. With this revamp, most of the web posts and some of the Advanced Guide posts that are currently on the Mabinogi website will become inaccessible so be sure to save any before they are gone! The revamped Mabinogi website is coming soon, so keep an eye out for the new website announcement.

Sincerely,

-The Mabinogi Team
Kensamaofmari

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Archive everything someone.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited November 2, 2020
    Archive everything someone.

I will when I get home.
    KensamaofmariWolfsingerRadiant DawnHelsa
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    edited November 2, 2020
    Much needed; the webpage has kept that same look for... 10+ years?

Might I ask if the Pre-Genesis Generation scripts (from waaaaaay back) are part of the content that will become inaccessible? I always thought it was interesting to compare them to the modern ones, so I'd like to know. Thanks!
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    @Katherz What's the deadline for this?
    Helsa
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Katherz wrote: »
    Hello Milletians,

We wanted to share some exciting news! We are currently in the process of revamping the Mabinogi website to better match existing Nexon websites. With this revamp, most of the web posts and some of the Advanced Guide posts that are currently on the Mabinogi website will become inaccessible so be sure to save any before they are gone! The revamped Mabinogi website is coming soon, so keep an eye out for the new website announcement.

Sincerely,

-The Mabinogi Team

Does this mean that the information contained therein will be lost forever or that it will eventually make it back into the new website in perhaps newly made/designed posts or what have you? Is Nexon just throwing away information forever? If so, why is a new website with less information better?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited November 2, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »
    Hello Milletians,

Sincerely,

-The Mabinogi Team

Does this mean that the information contained therein will be lost forever or that it will eventually make it back into the new website in perhaps newly made/designed posts or what have you? Is Nexon just throwing away information forever? If so, why is a new website with less information better?

It's throwing the information away! That's why I asked you for your help Helsa. It takes processing time per page archived on archive.org.

I was trying to make this a solo effort, but apparently I can't do it by myself.

EDIT: Currently have a collaborative effort going on to archive the website. We are just REALLY freaking curious when the deadline is.
    WolfsingerHelsa
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited November 2, 2020
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    Hello Milletians,

Sincerely,

-The Mabinogi Team

It's throwing the information away! That's why I asked you for your help Helsa. It takes processing time per page archived on archive.org.

I was trying to make this a solo effort, but apparently I can't do it by myself.

EDIT: Currently have a collaborative effort going on to archive the website. We are just REALLY freaking curious when the deadline is.

What the announcement specifically says is that a portion of web posts and announcements will become inaccessible. Inaccessible doesn't necessarily mean that the information on those pages will be gone forever. Maybe that is what they meant but it's not clear. Maybe it means that it will find it's way back onto the new website but in a newly made form. This is why I've requested clarification from Nexon. If there is to be information permanently lost and if that information is such as "Tarlach Server will undergo emergency maintenance Mar. 3 2011", does losing something like that really matter?

Oh and I agree they do need to give us a time table.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited November 3, 2020
    Hello Milletians,

Sincerely,

-The Mabinogi Team

What the announcement specifically says is that a portion of web posts and announcements will become inaccessible. Inaccessible doesn't necessarily mean that the information on those pages will be gone forever. Maybe that is what they meant but it's not clear. Maybe it means that it will find it's way back onto the new website but in a newly made form. This is why I've requested clarification from Nexon. If there is to be information permanently lost and if that information is such as "Tarlach Server will undergo emergency maintenance Mar. 3 2011", does losing something like that really matter?

Do you honestly think they are going to archive all that? Hence why they asked US to save them. "With this revamp, most of the web posts and some of the Advanced Guide posts that are currently on the Mabinogi website will become inaccessible so be sure to save any before they are gone!"

We have to archive everything from the last 12 years not only for history purposes, but also so they don't get away with erasing that history. There is a reason why I archive new content from KR.
    Helsa
  • HelsaHelsa
    Hello Milletians,

Sincerely,

-The Mabinogi Team

Do you honestly think they are going to archive all that? Hence why they asked US to save them. "With this revamp, most of the web posts and some of the Advanced Guide posts that are currently on the Mabinogi website will become inaccessible so be sure to save any before they are gone!"

We have to archive everything from the last 12 years not only for history purposes, but also so they don't get away with erasing that history. There is a reason why I archive new content from KR.

They already own all the files, they don't need to archive anything. I'd like clarification from them as to exactly what the situation is, and of course when the change-over will occur.
  • KatherzKatherz
    I cannot give a specific date (sorry about that :() but I can at least say that we are expecting this change to happen soon (some time within this month)
  • HelsaHelsa
    I cannot give a specific date (sorry about that :() but I can at least say that we are expecting this change to happen soon (some time within this month)

Hey Katherz;

Our dear friend Crimsọn cross-server pinged me, in game, about this yesterday. You've gotta understand, Crimsọn never pings me; proving that she's really quite anxious and concerned about this. The announcement has gray areas in the text. Some have interpreted them as saying that all this information will be lost forever; hence the alarm that she and others are experiencing. Is this the case or will it be that the information will make it back on to the website in newly created forms? I understand that an announcement such as "Tarlach Server will undergo emergency maintenance Mar. 3, 2011" is information that is of little consequence now, should it be lost. But what of the types of information that are still relevant? Will all that be gone forever? I hope not since I can't see how a new website with less resources for the player is an overall improvement.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited November 3, 2020

Please tell me we have at least a week. It's taking a loooooong time to archive each of these pages. Each snapshot archived on archive.org takes 1-2 minutes and I am creating a index section by section.

Not even done with the first section (7/159 pages or 70 posts essentially). Meme got 30 pages of events archived. A friend of hers is working on a different section atm. I can only work on this for a couple hours after work. I am just trying to find out if we have enough time.
    Helsa
  • KatherzKatherz

Hey Katherz;

Our dear friend Crimsọn cross-server pinged me, in game, about this yesterday. You've gotta understand, Crimsọn never pings me; proving that she's really quite anxious and concerned about this. The announcement has gray areas in the text. Some have interpreted them as saying that all this information will be lost forever; hence the alarm that she and others are experiencing. Is this the case or will it be that the information will make it back on to the website in newly created forms? I understand that an announcement such as "Tarlach Server will undergo emergency maintenance Mar. 3, 2011" is information that is of little consequence now, should it be lost. But what of the types of information that are still relevant? Will all that be gone forever? I hope not since I can't see how a new website with less resources for the player is an overall improvement.

Posts from the Returning Milletian guide will be moved over to the new website. A lot of older posts (sales, events, maintenances) will not. New sale posts and event posts will also be available (I believe starting from around last month's update?)

Please tell me we have at least a week. It's taking a loooooong time to archive each of these pages. Each snapshot archived on archive.org takes 1-2 minutes and I am creating a index section by section.

Not even done with the first section (7/159 pages or 70 posts essentially). Meme got 30 pages of events archived. A friend of hers is working on a different section atm. I can only work on this for a couple hours after work. I am just trying to find out if we have enough time.

You have at least a week :)
    KensamaofmariCrimsọnWolfsinger
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Alrighty. Let's make this happen.

tenor.gif
    KensamaofmariWolfsingerHelsa
  • HelsaHelsa

Hey Katherz;

Posts from the Returning Milletian guide will be moved over to the new website. A lot of older posts (sales, events, maintenances) will not. New sale posts and event posts will also be available (I believe starting from around last month's update?)

Thank you ma'am! That information will help the folks decide the order in which to tackle the job and also what they need not worry about.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited November 3, 2020
    I'm still going to archive everything. This election will not stop me.
    WolfsingerKensamaofmariHelsa
  • KousukeKiraKousukeKira
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
    edited November 17, 2020
    Duplicated. Fix this already instead of making the website more pink.
  • KousukeKiraKousukeKira
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
    edited November 17, 2020
    Already hate the new design. And the recent(!) posts that I googled for lead to https://mabinogi.nexon.net/?aspxerrorpath=/news/all/1/00JLf/attendance-check-event

I just wanted to check the new wedding pets but nah. Why do working things always need to be ruined...because it's important to have a modern website for an outdated game? GG Nexon. Old website was better.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited November 18, 2020
    Already hate the new design. And the recent(!) posts that I googled for lead to https://mabinogi.nexon.net/?aspxerrorpath=/news/all/1/00JLf/attendance-check-event

I just wanted to check the new wedding pets but nah. Why do working things always need to be ruined...because it's important to have a modern website for an outdated game? GG Nexon. Old website was better.

We've been wanting an updated site for YEARS. We want this game to survive and we always felt an updated site would help this game seem more appealing. Anyway here, this is part of my archive that I was working on: https://web.archive.org/web/20201103025251/https://mabinogi.nexon.net/News/Announcements/1/00JLf/attendance-check-event

I can't post my archive in the forums because they have a character limit. :(
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    I can't post my archive in the forums because they have a character limit. :(

I'm gonna guess its a five thousand character limit. Why not take the larger articles and spread them over several posts?