Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Fomors? Evil??? Erskin-Bank's role in said roots!?

HabimaruHabimaru
Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
in General Chat
Okay, like, this topic can into one of two (technically four absent any mega-de-railment-caused-lockages) directions. I will let the votes determine how I choose to further continue my feedback into the topic of this thread if I choose to bother to continue it at all.

A saying from the earth-world exists that...: Money is the root of all evil (and the probably more precise alternate: For the love of~)

Everybody who has explored the world sufficiently knows that gold can nearly always be found on fomors (and a variety of various monsters). Anybody who's read through the first 2-3 Generation's story-lines knows that the lore mentions... something about gold... I guess I had to stop myself from saying too much before I ended up revealing some sort of potential-spoiler. Anyway... from where does all of this gold even originate ? Does the gold in the world of Erinn happen to be its root of all so-called evil...? Who even produces/manufactures/creates all of this gold and for what purpose ?

What if we were to discover the source of where all of this gold originates ? Perhaps it would be possible to bring an end to the seemingly never-ending conflict between Milletians & Fomors if ALL of the gold could just be made to suddenly disappear ? Ahh, yes, I did mention Erskin-Bank, and whether they have some sort of role in the creation of those so-called evil fomors ? Does the gold make fomors seemingly evil or is there some sort of property within the gold itself that creates strife and aggression or does this not probe deep enough into their histories ?

*Disclaimer : I don't actually think that in the poll-question (well, actually, I really might in some way, but, disclaimers ;o)

Option #11
tenor.gif
Option #02
Money-Quotes-lack-of-money-is-root-of-evil.jpg
Option #12
Option #14
hu2aDA4GdwAe_640x360.jpg
Got lazy & didn't feel like adding other spoiler-tag references (well, actually, finished it up here per time-constraints to do other tasks).
  1. I think we should SCRAP the gold-system (and Ducats) and replace it ENTIRELY with Crypto-Currencies*7 votes
    1. Damnit, Habi, I'm gonna «JFK» you for trying to tamper with my bank-account !
       0% (0 votes)
    2. The truth is : «The LACK of money is the root of all evil...» -Mark Twain
       0% (0 votes)
    3. If Gold is the root of all of the conflict that goes on amongst the races...time for Crypto-Wallets!
       0% (0 votes)
    4. This is WAY too complicated of a subject for my brain to handle... D=
       0% (0 votes)
    5. Dude, like, put your hands up and gimme all yer money ! O_O
       0% (0 votes)
    6. Direction : I think this is a topic that is actually worth taking seriously
       0% (0 votes)
    7. Direction : I will only be pretending to take this topic seriously like your disclaimer
       0% (0 votes)
    8. Direction : I think this would be worth making into a non-seriously FUN topic
       0% (0 votes)
    9. Direction : I will actually take this seriously but will still treat it like a FUN topic
       0% (0 votes)
    10. CRYPTO-CURRENCIES IN MABINOGI!? SERIOUSLY!? WHAT NEXT??? UFO PETS??? Err, nevermind, forget I asked!
       0% (0 votes)
    11. SHUT UP & TAKE MY MONEY!! I mean, gold, I mean, crytpo, err, whatever I mean... just TAKE it ! =O
       0% (0 votes)
    12. Aaaaaaaaaaaand... it's GONE!!! Yep, gone, it's all gone...
       43% (3 votes)
    13. Erskin-Bank is OBVIOUSLY involved in some sort of Clandestine CONSPIRACY to RULE the ENTIRE WORLD!!!
       14% (1 vote)
    14. It's a Big Club, and YOU ain't in it ! You and I are NOT *in* the Big Club (Erskin-Bankers).
       0% (0 votes)
    15. Other
       43% (3 votes)

Comments

• LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Honestly, I feel like the Church of Lymilark could be faulted for a lot of this. On the page where they speak of G25, they state that Etain was blessed by a god and that her power being a double-edged sword, and if you ask me, that explanation better be good.

Judging by the video, this lady can fix CRACKS IN THE SKY. That's just the part of her that we've SEEN in the trailer. I don't know how to feel about her yet, but I feel rather slighted by the fact that we Milletians have been recruited to handle practically every crisis that Erinn has ever seen when the Church has a powerhouse like that. Also, for those who are up to date with the content has seen that Corentin (of the Pontiff's Court, mind) has been causing trouble for us here and there. Is that her prerogative or is that on the Pontiff Etain's orders?

Furthermore, does she know about Kristell and what she was previously? If she does and helped her get her position, great, we're fine there. Kristell's happy where she is, but if Etain threatens that, well... We're not going to be friends.

Also, in regard to Fomors being seen as evil, I notice that Belvast has them as everyone getting along, Humans, Elves, Giants and Fomors? However, I think in G23 Tempest, the church doesn't have as much of a presence in Belvast as opposed to other areas in Uladh and that might be because they're detached from Uladh physically. The Fomors that have been able to take part in the same livelihood as everyone else don't possess the same desire to take the land of Erinn like some of their more violent fellows. Honestly, I would love to see a Fomorian settlement or city other than Belvast where Fomors live peacefully and don't have a cavalcade of idiot "paladins" harassing them at the behest of a psycho like Esras.

Veering back onto topic. The thing about gold in G2 was actually about Tabhartas and accessing the Wisdom of the Ancients (I think that's Lia Fail) and gold was what Esras was having the Paladins retrieve to that end, so it was her behind that nonsense, and not so much the church or Erskin Bank.

Interestingly enough, I don't recall the Erskin Bank EVER giving us any form of nuisance short of fees and they would have the power to cause us far more inconvenience than that if they so decided. They also help us make contracts with the fairies called Brownies to help us when we need someone to run our shops (for a fee, of course, because they deserve to be PAID). Brownies by lore are also spirits that won't put up with disrespect and will leave the homes they're tending to if they feel they're being taken advantage of or insulted. I also don't think they would put up with the Erskin Bank if they felt they were a negative entity that could take advantage of their capacities.

Tacking onto the money bit, even if you got rid of gold, there would still be ducats. I honestly would like to see more of Uladh become like Belvast and allow peaceful Fomors to move in.
    Habimaru
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    if Erskin Bank was involved in anyway they would probably be neutral about it. they probably don't have anything to do with the creation of Fomorians/Fomors but if we are at war with the Fomors it makes sense for Erskin Bank to want to profit from both sides. fighting a war isn't cheap so why should Erskin Bank refuse service to the enemies as well? they already do business with Elves, Giants, Humans, and Milletians. so to them it is just good business, they gain nothing from only choosing one side and assisting in wiping out another side. better to let any race do business with Erskin Bank and let the constant fighting continue.

Habimaru
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Much of these points necessarily leads me back to square one. Okay, the gold in of itself does not necessarily cause so-called evil or hostilities/aggressions, for I suppose it is really more along the lines of a tool, like fire, kitchen-tools, etc., and, thus, its use can bring either mass-comfort/mass-feasts or mass-destruction/mass-slaughter/etc.

From the Saga-Episodes, from the very beginning, some sort of dark-energy force had its «Evil Eye» influence over the Milletian... forcing a sort of demonic-possession-like phenomenon causing mass-devastation. The generations involving Queen Eirawen certainly put the role of the church (Pontiff's Court) into question, although, not to say too much that might end up being some sort of spoiler, the influence(s) behind the church-members' strange behaviours certainly seemed to be like some sort of trojan-horse.

Belvast's inter-racial peace & prosperity comes across to me as having much more to do with great leadership and tolerance for racial-differences whilst promoting business in contrast to the historic inter-generational cultural-grudges that were (and are still) being held elsewhere by some of Iria's inhabitants in particular... (ironic as that may be to point out in this manner given the current forum-Avatar-selection that I currently use). Although, logistically speaking, Belvast is located at a geologically advantageous location, and as the saying historically went in traditional business from our earth-world prior to a certain scripts that are being socially engineered world-wide about business-success & prosperity : It's all [more accurately : largely] about location, Location, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!

I still think we should probe the history of the Erskin-Bank, how it got started, who runs said bank or banking system, what kind of power/influence do they have over the world-affairs, what made it so that they were able to establish on all three different continents, etc. Erskin-Bank has apparently always been around, but, you see, with the intense conflict between the giants and elves back when the main continent then later on learned about the existence of these other-race non-human creatures, I cannot help but to think that the giants and the elves would have, back then, wished to have their own monetary and banking system, reflective of their specific race and «racial-superiority» beyond just elves having a slight advantage when it comes to projectile-use and the giants having a massive-advantage when it comes to strength-related activities.

I suppose the economic-prosperity of Belvast may also have a lot to do with Erskin-Bank not creating a system of debt-based usury but still does not necessarily answer how all of the historic wars & conflicts came into being/fruition if not by mere happenstance (but most-likely there must have been some sort of mass-manipulation behind-the-scenes such as the Evil-Eye having its influence over entire races of creatures... were perhaps the supposèd dieties [at least partially ?] responsible ? Some corrupting influence of the Alchemy process[es] that may have affected the Ancients ? Many possibilities to examine !). I mention this because, back from our earth-world, anybody who studies monetary & economic-history to the extent & depth that I have will come to the conclusion that massive war-fare, economic-ruin, economic-devastation, destruction of whole entire nations/countries, etc., can only have come about due to a usury-based financial-system, and if there are still conflicts/hostilities even in the absence thereof, then I am forced to take a closer look at the «Evil Eye» phenomenon as being the most-likely influencer... otherwise this quote would most-certainly having explained a lot about what happened to cause a lot of the historic conflicts other than «magical» happenstance or «the gods» instigated everyone's problems...:

“Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves.” ― Norm Franz, Money & Wealth in the New Millennium: A Prophetic Guide to the New World Economic Order

Alas, I do not necessarily fore-see that there will be too much in the way of advancing settlements of inter-racial fomorians & non-fomorians co-opt-ing together in too many places besides commerce-outposts & Belvast, not because of any issue of being unable to direct the story-line in that direction, but more so because of the man-power (or lack thereof) seems to be much less than before (i.e.: I basically hear/d/read that the whole entire Mabinogi-team now consists of completely different people and that none of the original staff-members are still there from the time when I and/or many others first started... including developers, coders, programmers, management, owners, etc., unless someone can get me more insight as to what may have actually happened), and it should be obvious to anybody who was once around during peak-activities that the current active-population(s) are now but a shadow of what it once was before.

I suppose there would not be any incentives for the world/universe of Erinn to suddenly switch over to crypto-currencies, for, a saying goes, that necessity is the mother of invention, and as there is no real world-enslavement over the entire population of humans/elves/giants/fomorians/etc. via a usury-based monetary financial-system, nobody really has any need nor incentive to come up with any ideas/systems that would break free of any usury-dollar or other perpetual-war-dollar system (although the «Gold Standard» within the Erinn-universe still leaves much to consider).
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    You know, I'm surprised there has been no lore about any role that Bangor has played in the past. All we know was that Bangor was once a flourishing mining town where today's Barri dungeon was the mine that was abundant in ore veins, while today there has been a lot less ore and a lot more dangerous being populated by less intelligent fomors who cannot seem to be at peace with Tuatha and Milletian alike.

I wonder if Bangor produced most of the gold ore to supply the gold prior to the current day.

Also, when the war against Fomors ended, and they are now living and interacting with us, their preferred choice of currency is in ducats. However, we don't know if ducats in this game are made of gold or another material.
    Habimaru
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    edited December 19, 2020
    Ducats are most-likely made out of some form of gold (linked image of earth-world Ducat in below-spoiler, originally used in the German-speaking Ancient Österreich [Austria; not to be confused with English-speaking Australia]), but, that begs the question, who exactly mints and distributes those coins (Ducats) and who was it that decided to set up such a system and how did they go about establishing the Ducat-system to the point where they are accepted as payment for those ultra-rare products ?
    1915_austrian_4_ducat_gold_coin_uncirculated_2_lgw.jpg
    And how did they go about getting the approval of the various Uladh-cities to setting up outposts & conducting trade ? Most people are not aware of it but Law-Merchant (a type of maritime/admiralty law) has been around for centuries, and if you were/are involved in any form of trade/commerce, not only do the various city councils require you to have some sort of permit-fee to conduct business lest they threaten you with having you hauled off by their henchmen, err, I mean guards (what police-patrols used to often be in the past), but on the other hand, each city in the Mabi-World seems to be mostly corruption-free and allows their people to live in a free manner without being constantly harassed & hassled to pay up endless taxation or extortion-fees for simply leaving their house (the only real «fees» we see are those Merchant-Licenses such as for setting up a Personal-Shop; commissions are taken out of Kiosk-sales [not that anybody bothers to use Kiosks that are not located at Dunbarton], and now there is an Auction-House for which the listing limit is increased & commission-fees are lessened through the «Divine-Intervention» of spending NX on VIP).

I guess the Banking & Financial-System(s) on the continents of Uladh & Belvast & Iria must be quite corruption-free ? Anyway... plenty to ponder (another quote about banks in next spoiler from the Earth-world).
    Tyrell-Wellick-season-1.jpg
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I believe it was explained briefly when the Shakespeare gens that came with commerce and Belvast came about. After Admiral Owen's liberation of Belvast (an event we didn't really see) the conflict between Tuatha and Fomors subsided, and some of the more intellectual Fomors preferred living a peaceful life and establishing trade. Something like that.

The approving authorities would be the authority figures in each city and if they don't have leadership within the city, it would be the figures that control them. For example Tara would also have jurisdiction over Tailteann, Bangor and Port Cobh trade posts.
    Leinei