Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Do you think Nexon is going to overhaul graphics?

cookiewoocookiewoo
Mabinogi Rep: 500
edited January 21, 2021 in General Chat
I love the graphics of the new g25 trailer and glyphwriting one, and was wondering what you guys think they were going to do. Do you think they are going to do a visual update in the coming years or months?

Comments

• SyaohartSyaohart
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    Recent trailers seem to have been created using a different engine so unless they're willing to quite literally recreate the entire game, doubt we'll get the much needed image polish anytime soon. Then again most of us stick around more for the uniqueness of the game 's core mechanics rather than it's outdated graphics.
    cookiewoo
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    It seems they're making little improvements bit by bit rather than going for a complete overhaul all at once.

The recent addition of actual modeled hands to all new gloves is really nice. I'm kind of hoping they go back and re-do some of the older nice gloves.
    cookiewoo
  • KousukeKiraKousukeKira
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
    I wouldn't play anymore if the game's graphics looked like in that trailer. I was wondering what's up with the weird art of the banner. Such dead eyes.
    GretaCrimsọncookiewooTakatsuki
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    I wouldn't play anymore if the game's graphics looked like in that trailer. I was wondering what's up with the weird art of the banner. Such dead eyes.

I don't know I wouldn't play anymore, but I gotta admit I'm not entirely about those new graphics.
    cookiewoo
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Syaohart wrote: »
    Recent trailers seem to have been created using a different engine so unless they're willing to quite literally recreate the entire game, doubt we'll get the much needed image polish anytime soon. Then again most of us stick around more for the uniqueness of the game 's core mechanics rather than it's outdated graphics.

ya this ^

The graphics in the trailer pretty much like the graphics games like Breath of the Wild, Kurzpiel, the mobile version of this game, etc. have been using. Have never found the models in said games detailed enough to get excited for from a visual perspective. In fact, it looks like the quality I'd expect from certain MMD videos. eh. I guess they did try though
    cookiewoo
  • LyniLyni
    Mabinogi Rep: 845
    I don't think they'll revamp the graphics. PSO2 is doing this but SEGA's extremely ambitious and PSO2 is their cash cow right now. I don't know if Nexon has any ambitious history and I dunno how much money Mabi makes for them. If they asked for anything from DevCAT I think I would rather they fix desync** and maybe give Popo's Skirt some love.

**Desync is an issue where your client thinks you're at position x,y and the server thinks you're somewhere else. This is how you can appear to stand on top of things but still get "You're too far away to do that" errors. I think this is also why you can appear to miss when you shoot from Dual Guns.
  • Pip-BoyPip-Boy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    edited January 29, 2021
    I don't think a graphics overhaul is needed but they should update their engine to run more smoothly if anything. Then slowly dole out changes like higher polygon count updates for character models and better and better looking outfit.
    Lyni wrote: »
    I don't think they'll revamp the graphics. PSO2 is doing this but SEGA's extremely ambitious and PSO2 is their cash cow right now. I don't know if Nexon has any ambitious history and I dunno how much money Mabi makes for them. If they asked for anything from DevCAT I think I would rather they fix desync** and maybe give Popo's Skirt some love.

**Desync is an issue where your client thinks you're at position x,y and the server thinks you're somewhere else. This is how you can appear to stand on top of things but still get "You're too far away to do that" errors. I think this is also why you can appear to miss when you shoot from Dual Guns.
    PSO2 aged quite poorly due to the artstyle so it's actually needed there. Even when it first came out I thought it looked rather ugly like a cheap 3d anime with bad colors.
    cookiewooTakatsuki
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I'd like to see characters rendered even with Vindictus quality. It's Nexon's own technology so it's possible. But they probably won't do it. Some folks want Mabinogi to remain as it is for two reasons:
    1) to maintain an 'anime' look to it,
    2) they are worried that their computers would not be able to handle the larger graphics load; lag and so on.
    As long as some people are against it, Nexon won't act unless compelled to. Look at the server merge. People kvetched for over ten years before it happened. But, throughout, some said they were against it. That gave Nexon the excuse to not spend the money and act. When it did happened, it was because they had to act, I seriously doubt it had much of anything to do with the community calling for it, yet it was an incomplete effort, perhaps because they wanted to somewhat placate the nays, and, because of paid name-change, they've just made things worse should the conditions reemerge to compel another merge. Or never mind that, look how long it took them to give elves black hair and dark skin. Again, some nay-sayers so a lethargic response from Nexon. If they were to go ahead with a graphical update, they could have a setting where you can choose how to render the game, say: 'Mabinogi Classic' or 'Mabinogi Deluxe' or whateverthehell you wanna call them. For them the decision is: "If we spend the time and money to do this will web-shop sales increase?" So, that's where you need to find the arguments to make this happen.
    cookiewoo
  • Pip-BoyPip-Boy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    Actually vindictus was made via modified Source engine. Mabi uses a custom engine and it's been biting them in the butt ever since. Migrating Mabi's massive amount of content over to a new engine would be like creating an entirely new game. It would probably been a better idea to have done than that create Mabi 2, which was so hated so much it had to be canceled, but hindsight is 20/20.
    cookiewoo