Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Idk, it's about Mabi, but not just Mabi, so...

Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
edited February 25, 2021 in Town Square
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=60927
Nexon's Maple Story has been found to have provided items to users with unequal probability.

Similar criticism has been leveled at Nexon's game "Mabinogi." Some users have been protesting in front of Nexon’s main office in Pangyo near Seoul aboard a truck since late January. In online communities, users are threatening to consider boycotting the game.

I'm just posting the info. Y'all make your own minds up about it.

EDIT 2/25/21: Interesting. I can't load the page anymore and I get this message: https://prnt.sc/106q7pu
EDIT 2/25/21: So, the translation says "This article is under review by the administrator. Please use it after a while."
Draw your own conclusions.
Kensamaofmari

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Was there a pattern to which users got favourable probabilities or which got the opposite?
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Helsa wrote: »
    Was there a pattern to which users got favourable probabilities or which got the opposite?

I don't know much other than what the article is saying. I can research more into it and post what I find, if there's relevant information.
  • HelsaHelsa

I don't know much other than what the article is saying. I can research more into it and post what I find, if there's relevant information.

My thinking is, that if there was no pattern to it, then Nexon's actions would be better argued as negligent rather than malicious.
    edited February 25, 2021

My thinking is, that if there was no pattern to it, then Nexon's actions would be better argued as negligent rather than malicious.

It's possible that it was a matter of incompetence. But, the sudden restriction of my access to the page is making me doubt that to be the case.
  • HelsaHelsa

It's possible that it was a matter of incompetence. But, the sudden restriction of my access to the page is making me doubt that to be the case.

Hm? Maybe, but either way it's embarrassing for them. Being able to say, "No, no, no, we're not evil, we're just stupid." Is, at best, small comfort.
    edited February 25, 2021

Hm? Maybe, but either way it's embarrassing for them. Being able to say, "No, no, no, we're not evil, we're just stupid." Is, at best, small comfort.

Ah, I can't say what's worse, honestly.

I'm tolerant of stupidity until criticism is banned or shut out, which it generally is via Nexon's ToS (in the context where it supposedly causes some sort of reputational damage or financial inhibition to Nexon). Criticism is how people provide solution to the stupidity, so closing it all out signifies a willful ignorance. Even that is forgivable to me, until the action turns into shutting up everyone else's mouths. At that point, you're evil. That's my guideline.

I'm suspicious as to whether this censorious action imposed upon that webpage link in the OP (on basis of "administrative review") is due to some pressure from Nexon. I know how authoritarian this company can be, so I'm not writing it off as impossibility.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

I'm tolerant of stupidity until criticism is banned or shut out, which it generally is via Nexon's ToS (in the context where it supposedly causes some sort of reputational damage or financial inhibition to Nexon). Criticism is how people provide solution to the stupidity, so closing it all out signifies a willful ignorance. Even that is forgivable to me, until the action turns into shutting up everyone else's mouths. At that point, you're evil. That's my guideline.

I'm suspicious as to whether this censorious action imposed upon that webpage link in the OP (on basis of "administrative review") is due to some pressure from Nexon. I know how authoritarian this company can be, so I'm not writing it off as impossibility.

Most Korean corporations (or E Asian corps in general) are very authoritarian.
    As regards to the article no longer being accessible, there are 2 options. One pressure from the company on Business KR forced them to remove it, and Two the allegations are completely false, and it has been removed. In the era of fake news, one little thing that is rumored to be true can spread like wildfire, and people who are fed off of them act on impulse, and thus we have groups acting with dissent on their discontent. And this is what's been happening over the past 5+ years, from top to bottom throughout the world people are being manipulated with info that is difficult to discern true or false.
    edited February 25, 2021

Most Korean corporations (or E Asian corps in general) are very authoritarian.
    As regards to the article no longer being accessible, there are 2 options. One pressure from the company on Business KR forced them to remove it, and Two the allegations are completely false, and it has been removed. In the era of fake news, one little thing that is rumored to be true can spread like wildfire, and people who are fed off of them act on impulse, and thus we have groups acting with dissent on their discontent. And this is what's been happening over the past 5+ years, from top to bottom throughout the world people are being manipulated with info that is difficult to discern true or false.

100% agreed and I also didn't see any evidence that this manipulation actually happened or happens. I didn't see any data reflecting this to be a real thing. I didn't see anything other than "Some people thought [x] happened, got angry about [x] happening, and are protesting about [x] and boycotting Nexon over [x]."

Would I still ask the question as to whether [x] actually happened? 100%. Would I want information available that would allow me to see for myself if [x] happened? 100%. Would I like it if the claims of [x] happening were able to be investigated and also challenged and argued by the accused, rather than removed and "reviewed?" 100%. These patterns of activity simply strike me as similar to other kinds of activity I've seen involving this company, including the removal of the news article. I would like to be able to draw my own conclusions.
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Until there's more info, data, news, evidence that actually prove whether such an event happened/did not happened, it will be 50% probability for the public. And the public either chooses to belief either 1 or 2.

A company will usually take the safe route when pressed to answer these types of allegations as decline to comment or just don't respond because they're not obliged to. And they hope to ride things out and the negativity fades away over time.

But actions of third parties would affect the probability by trying to fuel one side over the other and escalate the situation.

However, many people jump onto bandwagons because they (A, B, C) are influenced by other forces and factors. Because X, Y, Z said so, then it must be true and thus facts and evidence are no longer necessary because A, B, C have committed to what X, Y, Z says is true.
    Momma_SophieWolfsinger