Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Merge Alexina

Comments

• PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    Cho wrote: »

It happened in large part from their 2018 "Campfire" that was attended by around 400 people.

I hate to ask but is there a source on there being around 400 people? 400 for a 1-day event that was only on the west coast sounds like a stretch but I wasn't there so I don't know. Even then, making a decision like this from a one day event sounds even worse.

That's not how it happened. This was something that was clamored for many years and it was something that was going to eventually happen. They decided to release that news that it was going to finally happen during the Campfire event. It was definitely not something decided at the event like it was some dark sinister convention with people who think they have control.

:D

If that's true, then the game was in worse shape than I thought.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Helsa wrote: »
    Does that even matter? They're never gonna undo the merge. There are characters that were created on Nao that would have nowhere to go. Most Naowegians like being Naowegians and would not want to go back to their empty little servers. If Nexon decides to do another merge they can and they will.

It matters because a small group of people shouldn't be trying to manipulate a narrative that "all the servers are dead so we need a merge"

At this point, it's about trying to prevent the same issues from happening again. The last merge was terrible. Lag, rollbacks, bugle spam, and name-sniping for weeks is too much to deal with. The Mari server was fine at the time but if you're saying Alexina is empty, why not ask for a server change service so all twenty of you Alexina players can migrate.

That can be said of the anti-mergers too; a small group of people shouldn't be trying to manipulate a narrative. But it still doesn't matter. People fought over this issue for ten years and Nexon did nothing. The signs that a merge was coming were there months before the campfire event. Nexon does what it wants; we have no effect on them. The naming issue is solvable. All that is required is for Nexon to desire to do so.

It happened in large part from their 2018 "Campfire" that was attended by around 400 people.

I hate to ask but is there a source on there being around 400 people? 400 for a 1-day event that was only on the west coast sounds like a stretch but I wasn't there so I don't know. Even then, making a decision like this from a one day event sounds even worse.

That's not how it happened. This was something that was clamored for many years and it was something that was going to eventually happen. They decided to release that news that it was going to finally happen during the Campfire event. It was definitely not something decided at the event like it was some dark sinister convention with people who think they have control.

All soup for you! :)

If that's true, then the game was in worse shape than I thought.

Yes and no. There are two types of "health" here: the game itself and the servers. Since, they keep updating the game and since companies are very conservative in their decision making we can assume that at least up until now the game is healthy. In this case the servers weren't. The problem comes from the very beginning by setting up the game to have multiple servers. Some are gonna do well and some are not. In this case, before the merge, Alexina was eatting them all. This goes a long way in explaining why there's a strong anti-Alexina sentiment among some folks. It wasn't a deliberate thing, it could have been any of the servers. In the end it's because Nexon set things up to fail.
    Wolfsinger
  • ValenthValenth
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,820
    edited March 9, 2021
    For those of us who have accounts that are 10+ years old with years and years worth of work, items, and equipment...No it is not just easy to "transfer to Nao." I am not starting over on another server. It is not fair to me. And Alexina is dead. I do not get on anymore because there is no point unless I just want to play the game alone..and in that case I can just get on a better RPG on one of my consoles.

Speaking to those who are saying just go to Nao..not the OP.

** and I would come back and play the game if they merged us..i'm not just saying this to say this. I would LOVE to come back and play, but it is just dreary and boring in Alexina now.
    Crimsọn
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Valenth wrote: »
    For those of us who have accounts that are 10+ years old with years and years worth of work, items, and equipment...No it is not just easy to "transfer to Nao." I am not starting over on another server. It is not fair to me. And Alexina is dead. I do not get on anymore because there is no point unless I just want to play the game alone..and in that case I can just get on a better RPG on one of my consoles.

** and I would come back and play the game if they merged us..i'm not just saying this to say this. I would LOVE to come back and play, but it is just dreary and boring in Alexina now.

+1 on this
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited March 9, 2021

Believe me I do feel you. A lot of ruarians left for Alexina when the server launched and ended up losing more players over the years. Ruairi was pretty dead and other servers were suffering as well because originally Alexina was the biggest most active server. It indicated that on character creation which perpetually made everything worse for everyone else. So when they finally merged the servers they left Alexina out of the merge because they had healthy a population and activity.

But they didn't anticipate the great exodus from Alexina to Nao. Players who left over the years to Alexina returned to their old servers in anticipation of the merge.

At some point they will have to merge Alexina. We just don't know when they would be able to take on that immense task.

STILL can't remove players with +server tags. That's something they have never addressed and will need to before a merge could ever happen.
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,120
    edited March 10, 2021

You don't want to switch servers because it's unfair to you but you're fine with everyone else having to deal with a lot of headache for the few people on a "dead server" according to how dead people are making it out to be. You don't understand that games die when servers merge, not only as a result of games dying. People think, "game's dying so we have to merge" and afterwards "they merged so that must mean the game is dying".

The game is easier than ever to restart. There's free skill resets, Memoir leveling, unlimited rebirths to 5000, and a bunch of broken skills that make leveling and farming super easy. And if Alexina is so dead after they made the Nao server, that would mean people moved over to Nao right? You should just do it.
  • ValenthValenth
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,820
    edited March 10, 2021

You don't want to switch servers because it's unfair to you but you're fine with everyone else having to deal with a lot of headache for the few people on a "dead server" according to how dead people are making it out to be. You don't understand that games die when servers merge, not only as a result of games dying. People think, "game's dying so we have to merge" and afterwards "they merged so that must mean the game is dying".

The game is easier than ever to restart. There's free skill resets, Memoir leveling, unlimited rebirths to 5000, and a bunch of broken skills that make leveling and farming super easy. And if Alexina is so dead after they made the Nao server, that would mean people moved over to Nao right? You should just do it.

No need to be rude, dude. I merely stated my opinion, I'm not begging them to merge us. I just am not going to play anymore. In the past i've spent a lot of money on this game and I have built up my equipment and an inventory of pets. I don't care about the leveling so much as I do about the amount of things that I have personally bought to make this game what I want it to be for me. Not playing is less expensive than switching over to your server. And don't give me any bs about how it was my choice to spend.. I'm WELL aware. But it is unfair to expect me to move over to another server and give up everything I have since bought. So.. No. I do not want to go to your server unless they are going to move all of my things with me c:
    Wolfsinger
  • StormbeastStormbeast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300

Just want to point out that this kind of logic is why Alexina is "dying". More likely than everybody moved to Nao is just that Alexina players were hurt that they got left out of the merge and decided to quit until they get merged too. Despite the claims though, there is still an active and healthy player base on Alexina, and a merge would just be bad for the game.
    Momma_Sophie
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775

changing servers is not that simple for players that working on a character for nearly 10 years. a lot of time, money, and good memories have gone into a lot of those characters. some players would lose all of their characters, items, and pets switching by switching over to Nao. plus there are some items and pets that would be impossible to get like the ones from anime events. it really does suck when your only option is to stay where you are on a dying server or lose everything. restarting the game is not as easy as you are trying to make it sound.

the biggest issue with doing another merge is name issue and I agree it would be unfair to Nao to suffer through another name change again. however if this issue could be fixed there would be no reason not to do another server merge. as Mabinogi players we should try to understand how players on both servers feel. yes, it is unfair to make Nao suffer until the name change issues are fixed but it is also unfair to expect Alexina players to give up everything to move somewhere else. the way you word your comment makes it seem like you didn't even consider how the other server may feel. we may be on two separate servers but we are all part of the same game and community and if players suffer it effects the entire game regardless of what server you are on.
    ValenthSherriWolfsinger
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited March 10, 2021
    Stormbeast wrote: »

Just want to point out that this kind of logic is why Alexina is "dying". More likely than everybody moved to Nao is just that Alexina players were hurt that they got left out of the merge and decided to quit until they get merged too. Despite the claims though, there is still an active and healthy player base on Alexina, and a merge would just be bad for the game.

As I said, they didn't quit - they went back home. lol. Alexina's population was mainly made up of players from other servers. If they could of just stabilized the first 3 servers during the launch of the Iria update and just added extra channels we wouldn't of needed Alexina in the first place. Alexina was unnecessary and it's creation just caused problems for the other servers populations down the road.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 10, 2021
    As I said, they didn't quit - they went back home. lol. Alexina's population was mainly made up of players from other servers. If they could of just stabilized the first 3 servers during the launch of the Iria update and just added extra channels we wouldn't of needed Alexina in the first place. Alexina was unnecessary and it's creation just caused problems for the other servers populations down the road.

Yep. A lot of the folks that moved to Alexina, had well developed characters before they moved, so moving back would not be so hard for them. A lot of the folks that moved to Alexina didn't really want to but felt they had to. Until the merge actually happened it was reasonable to suspect that one never would so, under the perceived circumstances, moving to Alexina was more of an option. Now, we see that merges DO happen, so for native Alexinans there's that much less impetus to move. In my own case, I have two computers so I play on both servers.

I think you're right that the creation of Alexina was unnecessary. We saw two days after the creation of Nao that they added 3 more channels to it. Clearly adding channels is not a big deal so they could have done that instead. But without Alexina another of the servers then would have eaten the rest instead. My guess is that it would have been Mari as it was the second most popular server after Alexina.

The issue underlying everything is that they launched the game with multiple servers rather than having just one with many channels. That means that one wins and the rest atrophy. If you come to the game because your friend plays it then you will likely join their server, but if you come to the game on your own, it's perfectly natural to wonder which server is the "best", so as to pick that one to make a character on. Typically "Best", to most people, means the most active with the largest population. So, once one server gets ahead it stays ahead and progressively gets more and more ahead. As such a final merge is inevitable.
    ValenthCrimsọnWolfsinger
  • ChoCho
    No need to be rude, dude. I merely stated my opinion, I'm not begging them to merge us. I just am not going to play anymore. In the past i've spent a lot of money on this game and I have built up my equipment and an inventory of pets. I don't care about the leveling so much as I do about the amount of things that I have personally bought to make this game what I want it to be for me. Not playing is less expensive than switching over to your server. And don't give me any bs about how it was my choice to spend.. I'm WELL aware. But it is unfair to expect me to move over to another server and give up everything I have since bought. So.. No. I do not want to go to your server unless they are going to move all of my things with me c:

How is it unfair? You made a character on the most popular server at the time and now it isn't. Maybe because you don't play anymore, you don't know how easy it is to restart. Some stuff is wonky like the difficulty of the early dungeons since the dungeon revamp but shadow missions are perfect for ranking skills quickly.

I'm not trying to sound rude to you but it's really selfish of you to want a whole server merge because you want to play on the current popular server, with all your stuff, without having to do what anyone would've had to do in the past 10 years which is make a new character.
    ** and I would come back and play the game if they merged us

And you admit you don't even play anymore so you're concerned about the state of a server you don't play on.
    Momma_SophieGreta
  • ChoCho
    edited March 10, 2021
    Negumiko wrote: »

I've played on both servers. Nexon gives away pets almost every other event and there are like 5 pets you get from completing in-game quests. I get people having exclusive clothes or rare pets but, creating a new character doesn't delete your old one. You can add friends cross-server and they can message you if they need to.

Plus, Helsa, the main merge thread spammer, is saying if Nexon wants to merge, they will. If you really believe the server is dying, keep building up your character on Alexina. Or make a character on Nao and AFK and socialize like Valenth, who doesn't like leveling, because the stuff+pets will get moved over if it happens.
    Momma_SophieGreta
  • HelsaHelsa

Plus, Helsa, the main merge thread spammer, is saying if Nexon wants to merge, they will. If you really believe the server is dying, keep building up your character on Alexina. Or make a character on Nao and AFK and socialize like Valenth, who doesn't like leveling, because the stuff+pets will get moved over if it happens.

I'm also saying that a merge is inevitable. Two main reasons though, that we pro-merge folks keep posting about this is obviously because a full merge hasn't happened yet but also because we can.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Helsa wrote: »

I'm also saying that a merge is inevitable. Two main reasons though, that we pro-merge folks keep posting about this is obviously because a full merge hasn't happened yet but also because we can.

My predictions are FUD. If they have to merge Alexina then they won't at all and then something something FUD end of the world fudfudfud ext.
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited March 11, 2021
    --@Cho--
    It matters because a small group of people shouldn't be trying to manipulate a narrative that "all the servers are dead so we need a merge"

Which is exactly how we got the merge in the first place. They're (reasonably, but ironically) upset that it didn't go how they expected it to go.

When they argue about dead servers, it just makes me want to say, "First time, huh?" Not to spite them, of course. I just find it interesting how the roles have reversed. Helsa argues that there is an "Anti-Alexina" sentiment and I will say it does exist. But, it's not in the context of how they're framing it. People probably wouldn't care if Alexina did get merged, if we didn't have literally 2 servers left. There's also the still-fresh memory I have of Alexinians toxifying Nao's server and antagonizing anyone who didn't agree with merging Alexina. The behaviors of the Alexinian population are what turned people off to having them merged, even at a later date. The ones that fled Alexina and came to Nao didn't help the case, because they brought a lot of Alexina's culture with them and polluted a lot of things.
    --@Valenth--

I understand your concerns. But, you're asking that we -- the Nao server -- eat the cost on your behalf. Again. It's not a black-and-white situation of merge or not merge. There's other alternatives. Plus, a lot of us didn't even ask for the merge and didn't want it. I've proposed a server transfer solution once before and I'll propose it again. If you want to come to Nao, I think you should have the option. It should have been an option in the past instead of just forcing everyone to suck it up and merge -- consensual or not. Trying to make sentimental arguments and presenting them as if they're objectively-based isn't going to get anything done. You can't have the cake and eat it. Do you want to be among more people or do you want to keep the sentimental value in your items? What matters more to you? Pick that and pursue it.

--@Storm`--
    Stormbeast wrote: »

I agree. A lot of people I spoke to in the Official Discord at that time were arguing that Alexina was a "sinking ship." Well, I wasn't under the impression at the time that Alexina was sinking, considering it remained high population up until the merge. It started sinking when everyone started moving to Nao. The irony is that Alexinians created this problem in their questionable desire to be among even more people instead of retaining what they had. Alexina wasn't good enough; they needed more and Nao wasn't allowed to just be Nao without them. They felt entitled to being a part of Nao. It's the "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" idiom manifesting itself.

--General Response--
    I'd just like to say that Cho is making a lot of great points, here. I also think a lot of this merge sentiment is coming from selfishness, but presented as if it's "compassionate." The opinions and concerns of people who don't and didn't want the merge aren't being considered at all, here. They weren't considered the first time, either, which I would reasonably consider to be "rude." It's not all about you guys (Alexinians), you know. There are people on Nao who will again be negatively affected by these types of changes. In fact, you should be more careful in asking for a merge, considering how well it went the first time: Nobody foresaw Alexinians dropping off of their server and/or shifting into Nao, or spamming Forums with demands, or swinging out at anyone disagreeing with them in the Discord, or allegedly sending death threats to Nexon Staff. Even Nexon didn't think you guys would go that far, given their statement about why they merged the servers the way they did which amounted to something about server population being similar. The point is that Alexina felt so entitled to being a part of the merge that they destroyed their own original server in pursuit of it.

I still don't understand how we think doing the same thing over and over will somehow net better results when the last attempt was tragic. Most of the people who even asked for the merge also never did content or participated in the market; it's usually people who just socialize with two-to-five close people and afk in Dunby, building up their friends lists with a bunch of names that they simply want to see having the "online" symbol beside it; they never actually talk to us or do anything with us. I know this because most of the arguments even now are just about having more people around and not feeling lonely or something, even though I'm 100% sure there's people on Alexina that think the exact same way they do and yet they just won't reach out to them to make friends or reconnect. The pattern here is that Alexinians keep neglecting what they do have out of entitlement towards what they don't and it ends with both having their value degraded; this is in addition to forgetting that this is a video game and not a social media platform.
    Greta
  • EdethaEdetha
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,625
    noobodyzxz wrote: »

1. Its a pain for the devs and the company - server merging is not as easy as one would think, it would require equipment capable of handling the load of increase in players on a single server and usually server merge is a bitter pill mmo's had to swallow to alleviate the decrease in population of players.

No, not really. Mabi's essentially a 10 year old game and doesn't require a very powerful server for it's player load.
    2. It's more practical to have multiple servers than a single one - a single server that is super powerful may cost a few times more than two servers that are half as powerful. You want to be able to buy your hardware at the price point that is cheaper and not be locked into a higher price point because it's the only thing that will work.

Two things wrong here. 1) server cost for the most part scales linearly with performance. Take a look at EC2 pricing on AWS. https://calculator.aws/#/
    2) Each channel can run on it's own actual server. the term "game server" is a bit of a misnomer.

3. Wear and tear of hardware - some of u may suggest that nexon should just run mabinogi servers at maximum capacity to be able to handle the merge but that is a very stupid move. Like any device any hardware that is frequently run at maximum capacity causes it to wear and tear which leads to inconsistency on the hardware's performance and eventually to its complete loss of function. Most hardwares usually runs at half capacity in order to prevent this from happening and preserve its life span.

No, most server grade components ARE designed to be run at 'capacity'. I mean take a look at AWS pricing, usage doesn't come into the factor at all (Except for T series).

Now, it's true that machines can be pushed beyond their stated capacity. THAT causes problems.
  • EdethaEdetha
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,625
    noobodyzxz wrote: »
    KgVelqO.jpg

Hm...I think they want to be merged?

the consistency of pixels in tables and chairs facing same angle gives away the fact that this was edited
    but ill give them an E for effort

No, it was actually there. I saw it, it dropped my framerate horribly, worse than dunby usually is.

I assume it was somehow added with some sort of hacked client.
  • HelsaHelsa
    ... I also think a lot of this merge sentiment is coming from selfishness, but presented as if it's "compassionate." The opinions and concerns of people who don't and didn't want the merge aren't being considered at all, here. They weren't considered the first time, either, which I would reasonably consider to be "rude." It's not all about you guys (Alexinians), you know. There are people on Nao who will again be negatively affected by these types of changes. In fact, you should be more careful in asking for a merge, considering how well it went the first time: Nobody foresaw Alexinians dropping off of their server and/or shifting into Nao, or spamming Forums with demands, or swinging out at anyone disagreeing with them in the Discord, or allegedly sending death threats to Nexon Staff. Even Nexon didn't think you guys would go that far, given their statement about why they merged the servers the way they did which amounted to something about server population being similar. The point is that Alexina felt so entitled to being a part of the merge that they destroyed their own original server in pursuit of it.

The same could be said of the nay-sayers. Everyone has their reasons, everyone has their desires. It's yet another zero-sum situation thanks to Nexon.
    I still don't understand how we think doing the same thing over and over will somehow net better results when the last attempt was tragic. Most of the people who even asked for the merge also never did content or participated in the market; it's usually people who just socialize with two-to-five close people and afk in Dunby, building up their friends lists with a bunch of names that they simply want to see having the "online" symbol beside it; they never actually talk to us or do anything with us. I know this because most of the arguments even now are just about having more people around and not feeling lonely or something, even though I'm 100% sure there's people on Alexina that think the exact same way they do and yet they just won't reach out to them to make friends or reconnect. The pattern here is that Alexinians keep neglecting what they do have out of entitlement towards what they don't and it ends with both having their value degraded; this is in addition to forgetting that this is a video game and not a social media platform.

We keep bringing it up because it hasn't happened yet. The forums are for airing ideas about the game. That also means re-airing ideas and re-re-airing ideas. The idea somehow of weathering merge arguments and then never having to worry about them ever again is never gonna happen.
  • ShomarukiShomaruki
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300
    Coming from Tarlach Server and placed into Nao, I honesty don't see a difference where it's merged or not and here are my reasons why.

1)One Most of the most populated channels are normally 1 and 2. One being the Selling Channel and Party Channel for runs and Chan 2 be the hang out chan for most guilds.

We got Ten Channels per server and I can promise you I switch through all Ten in several areas just to see the different crowd. You want to boost play amount then merge isn't going to fix the issue, you need to reduce the amount of channels, place events to be set only on one specific channel wouldn't hurt as well. Most of the Mabinogi Events are literally just log in and play AFK Simulator.

This game holds a close place in my heart but how many people out there can only say they even know what Alby Arena is?

You can merge a server all day but how many of those players are ACTUALLY playing the game and not just sitting doing afk events? If they going to afk on one server they are going to afk on this one.
    Momma_Sophie