Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

gonna ask the hard question about Glyph art

justshowingjustshowing
Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
edited March 11, 2021 in General Chat
A) i wanna make art of Mary and Jesus. is this okay?

B_) as long as i don't make "anti-(movements, races, genders, class, minorities, etc)" it's okay?

Comments

• StormbeastStormbeast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300
    Personally speaking, I would leave religion out of it. Would be awful to get banned because somebody sees and finds it offensive. Most religions have a you're with me, or you're wrong belief; so it's entirely possible somebody could be offended
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    I also think religion should be left out of it. some people just won't want to see it and it could offend some people. if you want to do art like this then it would probably be best to only display it in a empty area to friends that you know will be okay with it.
  • justshowingjustshowing
    edited July 24, 2022
    -
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    wait what

Well, I would like to see it. I highly doubt this sentiment is shared across the board, however.

You could do parody art for the glyph instead. I recently saw parody artwork of Pieta (Michelangelo's sculpture) but, like, with two Mabinogi characters in place of Jesus and Mary, so that was pretty cool.
    Bronzebreak
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Don't worry about offending people. I have seen plenty of religious symbols used in these circles. Just do it.
    GretaWolfsingerBronzebreak
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    My religion is food. Might as well draw food-related art lol. Religion is useless and weird honestly.
    justshowingGaby5011Helsa
  • justshowingjustshowing
    there should be a feature in the future with these images to censor something you don't like so you don't get banned for it... :(
    i was gonna do stuff like..

saint benedicts metal.
    the marians devotional cross (it has the letter M at the bottom of the cross)
    the image of the heart pierced with the sword
    the eucharist image
    the image of P and X with the "alpha and omega" symbols on each side

mount Calvary with the three crosses
    mary and baby jesus

saint John Chrysostom
    Brother lawrence (from the book practice of the presence of God)
    St. Peregrine is the Patron Saint of Cancer Patients
    Saint Augustine of Hippo
    Saint Hubert (patron saint of hunters, mathematicians, opticians, and metalworkers)
    WolfsingerBronzebreak
  • justshowingjustshowing
    Greta wrote: »
    My religion is food. Might as well draw food-related art lol. Religion is useless and weird honestly.

yeah, food would be fun to make.
    i also saw someone who did an elephant, so animals would be fun too :(
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited March 11, 2021
    I think the obvious point here is that this rule is arbitrarily enforced on bass of convenience and the whims of Nexon associates; it clearly will only be yet another standard that basically boils down to: "It's only ok if we do it or agree with it, so shut up."

You can't mind-read, so just make whatever symbols you want and don't call attention to it. I'm sure lewd things (like a pair of naked knockers in a non-adult game setting) are obvious, but ideologies and religious beliefs are where things get quite partisan and authoritarian. If you're fine with bearing the consequences of honestly and openly wearing/speaking your beliefs, do it. More power to you, even if I may disagree.
    GretaWolfsingerBronzebreak
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,120
    Do it. As long as you're not being pro-christian, anti-some other religion or promoting archaic values that don't mesh with current values like slavery, sexism, or racism. An innocent Jesus and Mary glyph should be okay. Mary giving birth, full exposed, or Jesus nailed on the cross would obviously not be okay though.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Honestly if you've got the skills to do it, I'd love to see it. So long as you're not promoting anything wrong or harmful, why not?
    Bronzebreak