Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Let's share and talk about recent email from Nexon

GretaGreta
Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
edited March 19, 2021 in General Chat
So apparently such email came yesterday...

O0QHkNG.png?1

I'm 100% sure I did not start playing Mabinogi couple months of it being released... I downloaded and created Mabinogi character for the first time right before the first release of the Cursed Labyrinth event, so like around September of 2013. Also got my first pet Black Flamemare (named him Darkenhorse) from Attendance Event during that time, in which this email claims this is the pet with longest playtime, I wonder what it meant by that. I haven't properly used that pet for years so I'm really confused as to why he's the one. Probably the only accurate thing here is my main character's total playtime and it freaking scares me. I hope like half of it is just me being afk lol.

Anyway, my character creation date is total lie. Nexon being Nexon I guess rofl.
Helsa

Comments

• Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited March 22, 2021
    Hey, at least they like you enough to email you something like that.

I could go die in a ditch for all they care. :joy:

EDIT: I'd like to just clarify that I actually did get an email. Everything is fine. Have a look at my stats, since we're sharing:

download.png

If anyone ever doubted that I do content, now you know. Momma does content. Lots of content. Total play/afk time spans 660 days worth of time spent in-game, over the course of 5 years being a part of this community. Guess that proves how I got so far without throwing cash at Nexon. :joy:

EDIT 2: I decided to calculate my average time spent doing content, but it's only applicable to time spent on Mabi after the introduction of the P.E.T. Update.
    Sophigaiana is a Tuan and is my main pet to use in content. I use it in almost everything I do. Sophigaiana is clocked at 782 hours of time spent summoned, over a stretch of 8 months of playing Mabinogi, since the P.E.T. update (when I started using it). 8 months is roughly 240 days, meaning Sophigaiana has seen an average of use time equal to 782 hours / 240 days of playing. Conclusively, Sophigaiana has been summoned for an average of 3.25 hours per day.

I decided to do this mathematical calculation, because there's a weird stigma in this community that discourages people from actually running content (as opposed to throwing large sums of cash into NX purchases) and shames those who do as people with "no life" or some such colloquial phrase. If anyone considers spending 3 or less hours per day of doing content "having no life," then feel free to do so. This edit serves to estimate exactly how much effort from me was actually spent on grinding through dungeons and missions; this is aimed at highlighting the disconnect between what people believe about those who get ahead and what is reality.
    GretaWolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Neither, my Alexinan or Naowegian accounts have gotten any such thing. What's the email title and time stamp?
    Fluorette
    Helsa wrote: »
    Neither, my Alexinan or Naowegian accounts have gotten any such thing. What's the email title and time stamp?

Title: "This Anniversary Is Off The charts"
    Timestamp: "Thursday, March 18th @ 5:00pm EST"
  • AdenoAdeno
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,595
    Here's mine :)

T1UQWmU.jpg

Nice to know when I made my character :) It brings back memories of that time, job hunting, riding a bus since I didn't have a car back then, buying NX cards for me and my then girlfriend so the two of us could have pets and rebirths lol! I think I used to buy NX from 7-11 or some other store and I'd usually come home with a slurpee or Chinese food.

Creamlette is a new corgi pet of mine that I bought last year when I returned to the game. My "classic" pets from 2008 to 2010 didn't spend much time summoned because I was always afraid of them running out of time. I'm glad now we can basically upgrade them to last an entire day using Fynn Sync.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Greta wrote: »

O0QHkNG.png?1

I'm 100% sure I did not start playing Mabinogi couple months of it being released... I downloaded and created Mabinogi character for the first time right before the first release of the Cursed Labyrinth event, so like around September of 2013. Also got my first pet Black Flamemare (named him Darkenhorse) from Attendance Event during that time, in which this email claims this is the pet with longest playtime, I wonder what it meant by that. I haven't properly used that pet for years so I'm really confused as to why he's the one. Probably the only accurate thing here is my main character's total playtime and it freaking scares me. I hope like half of it is just me being afk lol.

Anyway, my character creation date is total lie. Nexon being Nexon I guess rofl.

Maybe you did what I did: started early, left after a day, then came back after a while. I only left for half a year, but I digress.

Also, no email for me, either. Then again, I am on their ____ list.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I did not get this at all and I did have newsletters enabled when I set up my account.
    Actually, I haven't received a newsletter email from Nexon (or any game I play for that matter) since 2018 when Generation 21 was released. I don't know what's going on.
  • HelsaHelsa
    <checks again>

Nope, still nothing for me. Clearly Nexon hates me; it must be why they left Alexina high-and-dry: just to get ME!!!!!
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    I use Gmail so this email was actually sent to my Promotions box. returned to the game about 7 years ago and play on one character most of the time so the 9,237 hours of play time for that character should be accurate. my Steam hours show I have played 9,681 hours in total on my current account. the first character I ever made probably was created around 2008 but that was on a different account. stormypoofer is my most used nimbus cloud so 75 hours of using that pet is probably correct.

email from nexon:
    deg9ch4-1f8942e0-b7b2-4729-98e8-1c4de76928af.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDM1ZGJhZWMtYTA3Yi00Y2ZjLThlZjQtN2ZmZDZiODY3OTg4XC9kZWc5Y2g0LTFmODk0MmUwLWI3YjItNDcyOS05OGU4LTFjNGRlNzY5MjhhZi5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.n0ZaPZg79WtYO6yfPBeDDEtMgJEdQZCw1YqJHtigNOY

steam hours:
    deg9cy9-7497ab07-6e6a-43f7-8090-2e21d2a09058.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDM1ZGJhZWMtYTA3Yi00Y2ZjLThlZjQtN2ZmZDZiODY3OTg4XC9kZWc5Y3k5LTc0OTdhYjA3LTZlNmEtNDNmNy04MDkwLTJlMjFkMmEwOTA1OC5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.LqRa5RII5aZblj8PfQVWqPx6fBgZRHjLCMD38utOcsk
    edited March 20, 2021
    Helsa wrote: »
    <checks again>

Nope, still nothing for me. Clearly Nexon hates me; it must be why they left Alexina high-and-dry: just to get ME!!!!!

Stop it, you. :joy:
    Nexon clearly doesn't mesh with some people in this community. This much is obvious to many.
    If they did fail to send some people a letter, some of us wouldn't be surprised or bothered and would assume it was because of negligence.

inb4: Nexon introduces a Gacha with a specific theme of revenge/vengeance, as done with the mafia Gacha shortly after some claims about mafia-like behavior were aimed at them.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 20, 2021
    I was just joking.

EDIT: It turns out it was because I had Newsletter disabled. So it WORKS!!!!!
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Hqrmv.png

As much as I would love to go full mabi boomer and claim a 2008 start date, I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Alexina launched later at the very end of 2008. I remember we whined for years to get a repeat of all the 2008 sales and events because we missed out on all of them.

Or maybe I'm hallucinating and all these Alexinans with 2008 start dates are completely real, in which case I would like my 2nd Anniversary Milletian title upgraded to 1st Anniversary Milletian please.
    Greta
  • GretaGreta
    Eralea wrote: »
    Hqrmv.png

As much as I would love to go full mabi boomer and claim a 2008 start date, I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Alexina launched later at the very end of 2008. I remember we whined for years to get a repeat of all the 2008 sales and events because we missed out on all of them.

Or maybe I'm hallucinating and all these Alexinans with 2008 start dates are completely real, in which case I would like my 2nd Anniversary Milletian title upgraded to 1st Anniversary Milletian please.

THIS. I have also started on Alexina and my title is 6th Anniversary Milletian I think. Bruh, on 2008 I was just 12 years old kid who barely had any access on PC. My first online game was Grand Chase on 2009, maybe some time 2008. I was already nearly adult when I tried Mabinogi for the first time.

Nexon, get your data right lol.
    Helsa
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited March 22, 2021
    TcqCa0g.png

I could sworn I started earlier than that date...

I have Visacias (William partner, I own 2) summoned a lot for running speed boost. I will park him somewhere close but sorta hidden and activate his speed boost by mounting him (hahaha...). Combined with spellwalk and maxed out icespear - I can be quite the nuisance for EvG in town. I absolutely LOVE it when others join in with the same tactics, makes players QQ or stay dead in the streets. NO MERCY! :trollface:

Even as a filthy casual these days I still put in a lot of time...
    AFK time that is. :D

O0QHkNG.png?1

Maybe you did what I did: started early, left after a day, then came back after a while. I only left for half a year, but I digress.

I'm on their excrement list too and I got the email (obviously). Maybe you haven't opted in?
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    TcqCa0g.png

I could sworn I started earlier than that date...

I have Visacias (William partner, I own 2) summoned a lot for running speed boost. I will park him somewhere close but sorta hidden and activate his speed boost by mounting him (hahaha...). Combined with spellwalk and maxed out icespear - I can be quite the nuisance for EvG in town. I absolutely LOVE it when others join in with the same tactics, makes players QQ or stay dead in the streets. NO MERCY! :trollface:

Even as a filthy casual these days I still put in a lot of time...
    AFK time that is. :D

O0QHkNG.png?1

I'm on their excrement list too and I got the email (obviously). Maybe you haven't opted in?

Opt in?
  • EraleaEralea
    edited March 22, 2021
    Can't get newsletters if you don't opt in to newsletters

Can we talk about the earlier half of the mail, too?

HqrAJ.png

Are we seriously averaging less than 3 rebirths per milletian? Does that mean the 3m milletian number includes everyone's neglected bank alts? Does the 46k number also include neglected bank alts, then? Does "returned" mean those who left and then came back or does it include everyone who plays regularly (plus their alts)?

How are we averaging less than 3 rbs per milletian i can't get over this
  • GretaGreta
    Are we seriously averaging less than 3 rebirths per milletian? Does that mean the 3m milletian number includes everyone's neglected bank alts? Does the 46k number also include neglected bank alts, then? Does "returned" mean those who left and then came back or does it include everyone who plays regularly (plus their alts)?

We just have too many alts. There's nothing much to say.
    I just can't get over how small numbers are in overall. Just 3 million characters created in 13 years? Now this is sad.
    Helsa
  • EraleaEralea
    But like... example numbers here... if the average active player has 300 rebirths there would need to be 99 neglected alts per active player, in order to lower the average down to 3 rbs per character.

I really wanna see the distribution of this stat... like, do 1% of milletians really perform 99% of the rebirths? Am I part of the Mabi rb 1%?

If we had the actual distribution we could also figure out the real number of active players (example numbers again: if only 1% of milletians actively rb then you could say we've had 30,000 active players throughout the 13 years). This might also be a more accurate way of counting players than simply counting the number of accounts, since people tend to have more than one and some people have hundreds.

Also I enjoy how the 46,204 number could be both a pessimistic total of the number of characters+alts logged into, or an optimistic total of the number of accounts, depending on how you interpret it. If it's the former (and includes neglected alts) then the actual number of active players in 2020 could even be in the low thousands.

Since the 3m number has to include alts (or else the rb number makes no sense) then it's very possible that the 46k number also does, giving us a much lower player count than they're willing to let on.
    1% of milletians really perform 99% of the rebirths?
    No.
    See: Pareto Principle.
    20% of total population does 80% of the work; that means out of 46k players, only about 9000 of us are actually playing the game and contribute to to 80% of the stats listed.
    But, that's obviously too generous, because that 46k is a count of "returners/alts" and not "active individual players;" the actual estimate is probably far below 9000, considering the major boons in returning activity centering around the Spirit Update and P.E.T. Update of 2020.
    Since the 3m number has to include alts (or else the rb number makes no sense) then it's very possible that the 46k number also does, giving us a much lower player count than they're willing to let on.

The key is to look at the total player count as a curved decline. There's also the factor that there's a play on semantics done here by Nexon; they chose the word "Returned" for a reason. "Returned" includes players from earlier times and much earlier years, who came back to peek at the game's new content. That doesn't necessarily mean that they stuck around, so that number essentially means nothing in this context.

It's obvious that player count and activity is especially low, by comparison to the dawn of the game. I wouldn't obsess over it, though. 20% of the current playerbase is doing enough spending and playing to ensure that the other 80% can AFK and/or chat in Dunby with no worries.
  • EraleaEralea

A 20:80 ratio of actives to inactives would mean the active 20% have an average rebirth rate of 15 per milletian (20*15/100), an absurdly low number over 13 years. Don't get me wrong - as this is delightfully pessimistic, I'm fully on board with applying Pareto here.

20% of 3 million total characters would give us about 600k characters who have rebirthed more than 3 times, now with an average of 15 rebirths per character. Given that active players usually have hundreds of rebirths by now, an average of 15 suggests that the majority of active characters only have a handful of rebirths - either abandoned alts or people who only stuck around for a few months.

Basically, their PR guys published these carefully-selected stats which accidentally suggest that very few people play and most of them don't stick around. Like I said, it's delightful!
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 23, 2021
    Can't get newsletters if you don't opt in to newsletters

Can we talk about the earlier half of the mail, too?

HqrAJ.png

I think the 3M is the number of accounts actually. So, the number of Mabinogi characters is MUCH higher than that. My understanding is that there is a game mod that will show you a characters record number. When they created Nao they started with Mari accounts, so their record numbers remained the same. IIRC they then rolled in Ruairi, so the lowest record number there would be one more than than highest record number of Mari. Finally, they threw in Tarlach, or maybe I've got those two switched; it'll be in one of the threads that talked about the Nao merge. Anyway, anyone with that mod installed can just query an ex-tarlach character and you will likely get a number greater than 3M. Or, query a natural Naowegian and you definitely will.