Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Abyss dungeon expansion.

SollSoll
Mabinogi Rep: 3,330
in Feedback and Suggestions
The concept of abyss dungeons is pretty unique to this day, and holds better than the endless hallways of the older dungeons. With only Peaca and Coill having abyss dungeons (with rewards that have honestly grown obsolete), here's a few suggestions to make them better:

- Instead of adding equipment that is barely usable, add appearance scroll versions of those weapons in the chest rewards, plus themed equipment and cloth patterns.

Additionally, expand on the number of abyss dungeons there are;
Each of those dungeons would be themed accordingly and give out appearance scrolls and fashion as their main gimmick. For instance:

Rundal: Mermaid-themed dungeon, Blue merrow as boss.
- Mermaid-themed weapon appearances, and weapons themselves.
Alby: Web / Spider themed dungeon, either a buffed up arachne or a drider (spider-taur) boss.
- Web / witch themed things
Ciar: Stone-based dungeon, Golems and living stone (similar to the karu /maiz mobs, or par ruins, but with stone instead of ice)
- stone-based appearance scrolls and equipment
Rabbie: Succubi bosses without their hat, that isn't the queen?
Fiodh: nature-based dungeon, similar to mag mell
- nature-themed weapon appearance scrolls and equipment
Barri: Mineral-themed dungeon; a boss that can be mined after its death? a big hunk of sentient minerals?
- gem-based appearance scrolls and equipment

*All of these bosses would also have unique mechanics to them; Merrow could have a Dive attack, for example.

The passes would be easier to get as well; either handicrafted with an item relative to the dungeon theme (cobweb, any ore, tree branch, etc...) or bought straight-up from the poulnabrone researcher. They would all also drop scrolls to convert abyss weapons to appearance scrolls, similar to the fsn conversion items. That way items like sephirot xbow and duke rapier can also benefit from this update.

its short length would mean those items wouldn't necessarily be rare either as drops; they'd be more f2p equipment any player can get just for fashion purposes.

different difficulties could also be implemented to separate the pool of items (patterns/weapons/accessories/app scrolls for instance) that would be unique to the abyss version of the dungeon. The bosses could also differ; Rundal having a mini-whale as boss at its easier levels for instance.

it would give more incentive to run those dungeons in the long run.
NegumikoBronzebreak

Comments

• Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited April 3, 2021
    I'm not interested in all the aesthetic parts in this, but I think you're on to something in the general concept of removing tedious hallways and sticking closer to the design schemes of Abyss dungeons and Phantasm.

The KR director luckily has stated intentions to revamp dungeons in June, under pretense of getting more players to do Hard Mode dungeons other than Alby Adv Hard Mode (the only one worth doing on basis of chest-to-player ratio, acknowledged by both players and the devs). I don't know what they'll do in terms of reward pools, but they generally said they want to encourage players to be more active in dungeons. I'd guess that means taking a look at the reward pool.
    Negumiko
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    I'm not interested in all the aesthetic parts in this, but I think you're on to something in the general concept of removing tedious hallways and sticking closer to the design schemes of Abyss dungeons and Phantasm.

The KR director luckily has stated intentions to revamp dungeons in June, under pretense of getting more players to do Hard Mode dungeons other than Alby Adv Hard Mode (the only one worth doing on basis of chest-to-player ratio, acknowledged by both players and the devs). I don't know what they'll do in terms of reward pools, but they generally said they want to encourage players to be more active in dungeons. I'd guess that means taking a look at the reward pool.

even if Nexon KR releases a dungeon revamp around June we likely won't see it here for at least a year or later but even reading about it on the mabi KR site would give us something to look forward to. overall I agree with most of what the op is suggesting. we also need a way to encourage more players to form parties and do dungeons together, this is a mmo after all but at the same time missions or dungeons that forces you to have a certain party size can be annoying. the main reason players form parties for chest rewards at the end of the dungeon is cause there are more chests and that means a higher chance of someone getting the item. I would like to see that improved by increasing every players chances for a better reward. for example what if a player has a 20% chance of getting the item they want from the chest, we know if you bring in a full party of 8 players someone might get it even if everyone's chances are low. but what if the drop rates improved by 2% for each player you have in the party? this would mean a full party of 8 players would each have a 36% chance of the item dropping for each one of them instead of just the 20% drop rate. something like this would encourage players to go in with full parties without forcing them with party requirements.

shadow missions also need to be updated as most of them have become dull and boring. new shadow missions need to be created, the chests need better rewards, and some of the missions could use some bug fixes. I have always wanted to see shadow missions added to the Muyu Desert showing what it was in the past and revealing some of it's mysterious history. the city that was once in the Muyu Desert was likely as big as Tara or possibly even bigger plus it would be a nice change of scenery.
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    Negumiko wrote: »
    new shadow missions need to be created

I saw preview videos of new Shadow Missions introduced to KR and it was uploaded within the last few months. They don't particularly look appealing to me, but I'm biased against SMs. I don't know what the reward pools are like for those, nor if they introduce new enchants or materials. But, they're definitely coming.

You can check out the gameplay for yourself: