Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Looking to revitalize my interest in Mabinogi

PectylPectyl
Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
edited April 10, 2021 in General Chat
Hi everyone, I would like to first state i am sorry if this isn't the right place to write this (I don't use this forum much)
With that said, I am looking to renew my interest in Mabinogi, I been playing since the Mabinogi EU beta (Even had the beta tester title) and I started playing Mabinogi EU during it's full launch day one, I was among the first 100 if not fewer people at time to get into the game because there was so many people that tried to get into the game at the same time it create a congestion.
I Later moved into Mabinogi NA when the floodgates were opened (aka EU players being whitelisted) again I was there the first day and I been enjoying Mabinogi for plenty of years now, However ever since around 2014-15 I been losing interest in the game and rapidly, Despite Mabinogi being my all time favorite free to play game I been taking longer and longer breaks away from it and I strongly dislike the fact that I am having a hard time enjoying the game, I feel like I should and could be doing stuff but at the same time I don't feel like doing it and my motivation to play Mabinogi is at an all time low.
I also used to enjoy picking up fun costumes and outfits alongside pets from the cash shop every once in a while but I can't even bother with that (especially since everything seems to be in a randomized box full of useless stuff these days)

So my question is, what could or can you suggest for me to do in Mabinogi that would raise my interest in the game again something that could kickstart me in a way, I truly like Mabinogi I just haven't had the motivation to get back into the game.
Also feel free to ask me questions.

Thanks in advance
Trees

Comments

• KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited April 10, 2021
    Do not eat when you do not crave what you are eating

I have been retired for six years and there's nothing left to rank that doesn't involve making a new account. That doesn't mean that I stop logging in though. For the most part, I just wander iria alone and stage fake screenshots so that they look like album photographs or I use mabinogi as a reference stage for hand drawn animation. It's easy to have fun alone in that sense.

That, or make friends; Close ones. Even if they themselves don't really 'play' the game either, having someone to talk to who still logs in is always +1 interest and a small tie to enjoy things with
    TreesPectylBronzebreakazurskies
  • TreesTrees
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,265
    Kouyioue wrote: »

I have been retired for six years and there's nothing left to rank that doesn't involve making a new account. That doesn't mean that I stop logging in though. For the most part, I just wander iria alone and stage fake screenshots so that they look like album photographs or I use mabinogi as a reference stage for hand drawn animation. It's easy to have fun alone in that sense.

That, or make friends; Close ones. Even if they themselves don't really 'play' the game either, having someone to talk to who still logs in is always +1 interest and a small tie to enjoy things with

Really great advice!

I think reading about KR updates in various places is a nice way to get motivated to log in. Working on gear can be something that leads to doing a lot of different things in game, but is pretty solonogi. Getting in to a guild is probably the best thing to do to become active again..but it kinda seems like there's not many small/medium guilds that actively recruit in game on Nao. If you haven't finished all of the generation questlines I would recommend doing that! I personally enjoy the lore (most of the time).
    Pectyl
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited April 11, 2021
    So my question is, what could or can you suggest for me to do in Mabinogi that would raise my interest in the game again...?

Character development.
    Creating challenges for yourself (I have plenty for you, if you can't come up with any).
    Exploring content.
    Taking on the wild RNG that is Erg.

There's plenty to do, but I'm pretty sure you don't mean "combat" things: playing the actual game itself.
    Then again, it's not my job to entertain you or tell you how you should entertain yourself. It's your Fantasy Life; not mine.
    Pectyl
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    tap into things you didn't bother with before and start looking at the game from a different perspective

ask questions about common and uncommon occurrences in Erinn and investigate for answers

one thing generally leads to another, and then interest is gained organically

or................ just....... take a break and come back when you think you have interest again
    there's peeps that long in merely for the sake of major/interesting updates and then they go into hibernation until the next
    Pectyl
  • PectylPectyl

That first sentence hit me and your right I should probably have included what i have and haven't done In game.
    I haven't ranked every skill nor have i min maxed anything on my characters, I only play one character on Nao and have since then left my Alexina character on standby because I predict that Alexina is going to become the next Ruairi server at some point and I most likely do not use what would be considered good weapons.
    Anyway, I been on a hiatus for some time and only logging in and out when absolutely needed, It's understandable that burn out happens but I just never experienced it like this and lasting this long, I have taken breaks from games in the past for one reason or another but It never like this.

Also to your last point I have made a few online friends in the past but once they stop playing Mabinogi they simply stop chatting about the game in general it's also not helping that most of them left because of something negative and so most of them actively try not to think about the game, I may have missed the drama, Insults and grudges because I am not in a guild or chat much with people.
    (I have been in a very few guilds in the past but they all died out at some point)
  • PectylPectyl
    Trees wrote: »

Really great advice!

I think reading about KR updates in various places is a nice way to get motivated to log in. Working on gear can be something that leads to doing a lot of different things in game, but is pretty solonogi. Getting in to a guild is probably the best thing to do to become active again..but it kinda seems like there's not many small/medium guilds that actively recruit in game on Nao. If you haven't finished all of the generation questlines I would recommend doing that! I personally enjoy the lore (most of the time).

I have always wanted to learn how to craft gear and weapons, However I always tend to work on existing combat related skills and so most of my life skills end up collecting dust, However I also know that the crafting minigame is setup in a way so you don't succeed like you could have (Seen it on Youtube) and it's really off putting seeing the game actively work against you by essentially cheating you which i hope has been done something about or I am outright wrong about.
    The guild part could work out, I never invested much time into guilds in mmo's in general and I don't chat much with people unless someone initiates a chat conversation with me, Despite being with this game for such a long time I been playing semi casually but always stayed on the side lines.
    And I do love lore in certain games and Mabinogi is no different despite it's confusing story.
  • PectylPectyl
    So my question is, what could or can you suggest for me to do in Mabinogi that would raise my interest in the game again...?

Character development.
    Creating challenges for yourself (I have plenty for you, if you can't come up with any).
    Exploring content.
    Taking on the wild RNG that is Erg.

There's plenty to do, but I'm pretty sure you don't mean "combat" things: playing the actual game itself.
    Then again, it's not my job to entertain you or tell you how you should entertain yourself. It's your Fantasy Life; not mine.

Combat is the one thing I been doing consistently for a long time and your most likely right, I should and could do different stuff as others here have suggested.
    I would also like to know what challenges you have in mind, It may or may not work out for me but there is only one way to find out.
  • PectylPectyl
    Fluorette wrote: »
    tap into things you didn't bother with before and start looking at the game from a different perspective

ask questions about common and uncommon occurrences in Erinn and investigate for answers

one thing generally leads to another, and then interest is gained organically

or................ just....... take a break and come back when you think you have interest again
    there's peeps that long in merely for the sake of major/interesting updates and then they go into hibernation until the next

While I don't understand the *ask questions* part you are right that I should delve into other stuff aside from the combat skill training basics I been doing.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Pectyl wrote: »
    While I don't understand the *ask questions* part you are right that I should delve into other stuff aside from the combat skill training basics I been doing.

For that I meant ask questions about the game to further your game knowledge.
  • KingEphyKingEphy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    One question comes to mind: What are your hobbies besides Mabinogi? Maybe a part of you wants different 'food'.
    Pectyl
  • PectylPectyl
    Fluorette wrote: »

For that I meant ask questions about the game to further your game knowledge.

Now i get it thanks! Yeah I do enjoy lore in many video games and I have spent some time in the Mabinogi wiki for exactly that.
  • PectylPectyl
    KingEphy wrote: »
    One question comes to mind: What are your hobbies besides Mabinogi? Maybe a part of you wants different 'food'.

Aside from playing video games I work (software developer) I train everyday by running and weightlifting sadly all at home since gyms are closed in my case because of Covid and I write in a video game blog of my own every once in a blue moon (should really do more of that lol)
    If Covid wasn't an issue I would hang out more with friends and see my girlfriend more but I guess talking over Discord is all I can do for now.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited April 14, 2021

Everybody is different. Imagine a big blue fella with Robin Williams voice appears before you. What is the minimum you'd require to be interested in Mabinogi again?
    edited April 15, 2021
    Combat is the one thing I been doing consistently for a long time and your most likely right, I should and could do different stuff as others here have suggested.
    I would also like to know what challenges you have in mind, It may or may not work out for me but there is only one way to find out.
    Disclaimer: I come from a perspective of someone that's maximized quite a few aspects of the character. I also have to assume that you don't have everything maxed.
    1. Train more skills up to rank 1. All of them. Cap everything. It's doable within reasonable time, if you understand how many multipliers exist in the game and how they stack.
    2. Work on your Fynn Pet; get it to level 10k, get it some nice Bead skills, learn how to make it more useful for yourself when playing.
    3. Work on your crusader skills and subskills. You can work on doing crusader dailies to get some more crusader levels under your belt.
    4. Start building a combo card that'll amplify your power.
    5. Work on an Alban Totem. The Alban Training Grounds are behind Nerys at Dunbartion and you can create the emblems there.
    6. Practice soloing Alban Heroic.
    7. Practice soloing Rabbie Phantasm.
    8. Practice soloing Tech Duinn's Awakened Abyssal Lord (any difficulty).
    9. Build your "perfect" gear set for your preferred talent.
    10. Build some echostones in Sidhe Finnachaid and try to roll effects you'd like.
    11. Practice soloing Sidhe Finnachaid (this one's actually more solo-friendly, since difficulty and tediousness stays at base level until you start adding people to the party).
    12. Work on weapon Erg.
    13. Level your spirit weapons.
    14. Raise your renown levels.
    15. Learn efficient grinding tactics for various content (e.g. how to kill mobs in rooms with quicker speed/using less dura/etc).
    16. Farming your own [x] item, rather than buying it. (Not saying buying is bad; it just eliminates the effort, for good or worse.)
    17. Picking a reasonable base damage target and trying to meet it (e.g. wanting to score a critical of [x] damage on mobs with 0 defense/protection, like foxes at Tir or Clobbermeister, which will translate into other content you do as your power increases to meet the goal).
    18. Saving money to buy gear with strong effects (they don't have to be "the best;" just get what helps).
    19. Becoming a marketplace warrior and learning how to make profits by selling things other may want.
    20. Do Mainstream Generation contents (story plot content).
    21. Start Grandmastering some talents.
    22. Build a Fynni Gem Hatching farm across multiple same-account alts.
    23. Clean up your quest log (push yourself to do the quests and try to enjoy them).
    24. Claim the rewards from your Dungeon Guide by grinding out some of the listed dungeons or missions.
    25. Gather the materials from Mag Mell missions and try to craft the rare items, such as Kerune's Arrows or Fleur's Dress(es) and Tiara.

That's all probably cherry-picked, though. Those are tough challenges I set for myself and I personally enjoy taking on all those tasks. I blatantly ignored lower-tier, "bare minimum expectation" goals like Shadow Missions and non-HM Dungeons. I don't know your experience in this game, but that's the kind of stuff I do to keep myself sharp. Those challenges forced me to improve my character to meet them and forced me to look at where I lacked power or strategy or versatility.
    Pectyl
  • PectylPectyl
    Helsa wrote: »

Everybody is different. Imagine a big blue fella with Robin Williams voice appears before you. What is the minimum you'd require to be interested in Mabinogi again?

I don't think I get your possible metaphor but as it stands right now my outright odd laziness forward this game is alien even to me lol.

Well people in this thread have already given me plenty of good suggestions, Perhaps what I may need the most is something that pulls me back into the game, giving me a reason to boot up the game and start playing on a more regular basis and that may be a guild, however I have no idea where to start looking or asking I may try asking over at the Mabinogi Discord and see where that leads me.
    Another thing might be to set goals in mind that isn't combat related cause I definitely ran out of steam trying to rank Windmill, It didn't feel good at all and turned out to be boring despite knowing the earlier I get it done the better.
  • PectylPectyl
    Disclaimer: I come from a perspective of someone that's maximized quite a few aspects of the character. I also have to assume that you don't have everything maxed.
    1. Train more skills up to rank 1. All of them. Cap everything. It's doable within reasonable time, if you understand how many multipliers exist in the game and how they stack.
    2. Work on your Fynn Pet; get it to level 10k, get it some nice Bead skills, learn how to make it more useful for yourself when playing.
    3. Work on your crusader skills and subskills. You can work on doing crusader dailies to get some more crusader levels under your belt.
    4. Start building a combo card that'll amplify your power.
    5. Work on an Alban Totem. The Alban Training Grounds are behind Nerys at Dunbartion and you can create the emblems there.
    6. Practice soloing Alban Heroic.
    7. Practice soloing Rabbie Phantasm.
    8. Practice soloing Tech Duinn's Awakened Abyssal Lord (any difficulty).
    9. Build your "perfect" gear set for your preferred talent.
    10. Build some echostones in Sidhe Finnachaid and try to roll effects you'd like.
    11. Practice soloing Sidhe Finnachaid (this one's actually more solo-friendly, since difficulty and tediousness stays at base level until you start adding people to the party).
    12. Work on weapon Erg.
    13. Level your spirit weapons.
    14. Raise your renown levels.
    15. Learn efficient grinding tactics for various content (e.g. how to kill mobs in rooms with quicker speed/using less dura/etc).
    16. Farming your own [x] item, rather than buying it. (Not saying buying is bad; it just eliminates the effort, for good or worse.)
    17. Picking a reasonable base damage target and trying to meet it (e.g. wanting to score a critical of [x] damage on mobs with 0 defense/protection, like foxes at Tir or Clobbermeister, which will translate into other content you do as your power increases to meet the goal).
    18. Saving money to buy gear with strong effects (they don't have to be "the best;" just get what helps).
    19. Becoming a marketplace warrior and learning how to make profits by selling things other may want.
    20. Do Mainstream Generation contents (story plot content).
    21. Start Grandmastering some talents.
    22. Build a Fynni Gem Hatching farm across multiple same-account alts.
    23. Clean up your quest log (push yourself to do the quests and try to enjoy them).
    24. Claim the rewards from your Dungeon Guide by grinding out some of the listed dungeons or missions.
    25. Gather the materials from Mag Mell missions and try to craft the rare items, such as Kerune's Arrows or Fleur's Dress(es) and Tiara.

That's all probably cherry-picked, though. Those are tough challenges I set for myself and I personally enjoy taking on all those tasks. I blatantly ignored lower-tier, "bare minimum expectation" goals like Shadow Missions and non-HM Dungeons. I don't know your experience in this game, but that's the kind of stuff I do to keep myself sharp. Those challenges forced me to improve my character to meet them and forced me to look at where I lacked power or strategy or versatility.

Thanks a bunch for the many great suggestions, I'll definitely try to accomplish some of them, while others will have to wait due to difficulty :P
    Is there any other place aside from Discord and this forum I could ask questions about some of the stuff you listed like "efficient grinding" and "Farming"? Since I don't communicate much with the Mabinogi community I may be out of the loop in what's going on within and outside the game.

Thanks a bunch for the many great suggestions, I'll definitely try to accomplish some of them, while others will have to wait due to difficulty :P
    Is there any other place aside from Discord and this forum I could ask questions about some of the stuff you listed like "efficient grinding" and "Farming"? Since I don't communicate much with the Mabinogi community I may be out of the loop in what's going on within and outside the game.

You can try the subreddit, but I don't recommend it. People tend to just say the "socially acceptable" nonsense (e.g. "Just have fun!") to farm karma, rather than offer any real help. There's folks there like "Zunqivo (Onfao)" and "Cryozen" who do contribute some nice information from time to time. I'd look for those names. Other than that, I don't know any Discord servers (I intentionally avoid interacting in the Discord servers, for many reasons).
  • NogimabiNogimabi
    Mabinogi Rep: 905
    Yeah tbh, joining a Discord server is probably your best bet... but be careful, some are good and some are bad.
  • PectylPectyl
    edited May 5, 2021

You can try the subreddit, but I don't recommend it. People tend to just say the "socially acceptable" nonsense (e.g. "Just have fun!") to farm karma, rather than offer any real help. There's folks there like "Zunqivo (Onfao)" and "Cryozen" who do contribute some nice information from time to time. I'd look for those names. Other than that, I don't know any Discord servers (I intentionally avoid interacting in the Discord servers, for many reasons).

I don't have a Reddit account so that works out fine for me i guess, But having fun is important, Just not when you're looking for hard data on something and your being told something qualitative like "have fun"
    Anyway thanks for the info.
  • PectylPectyl
    edited May 5, 2021
    Nogimabi wrote: »
    Yeah tbh, joining a Discord server is probably your best bet... but be careful, some are good and some are bad.

Yeah I joined the verified one a long time ago, Just never participated much in it.