Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New to the game and seeking advice on stats

TexasBearTexasBear
Mabinogi Rep: 310
in General Chat
I'm playing a giant since I played a half Orc in D&D and they are as close to one as i can get. I noticed there was a racial restriction for ranged weaponry which i am guessing gives a ton of dex. Be that as it may I was wondering if there was an alternative for giants to get Dex since my stat page says its essential for dex based skills and armor pierce. I've done the 3 chapters of memoir am 5.5k in total level and have been playing less than a week after finding out about this game from an anime called "Recovery of an MMO Junkie. I could really use some advice and some friends! My server is Nao and my IGN is the same as my user name on here.
Crimsọn

Comments

• asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    The skill tree's you rank up give stats as well as the talent you choose when leveling up. There are totems to help enhance that as well as enchants. I suggest looking at the wiki for the base stuff. The more advanced content you will have to inquire with the community. I believe most of its player base is on discord.

Giant's base ranged weapon is the javelin spears you see ( I believe that is STR base and not Dex ). Since then there have been dual guns and shiruken. Chainblade I believe is pretty dominant melee since it has quite a decent range. Also Heavy armor gives a -25% dex, so if you really need that stat.....you will have to go medium armor. It is a different style to play, so I do suggest trying out the human and elf as well, but that is up to you.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited May 20, 2021
    the life talents that will help a giant get more dex are Cooking, Smithing, Tailoring, Glyphwright, and Medicine. combat talents that will help a giant get dex are Puppetry and Chain Slasher. you can read about all the talents and what stat buffs their skills give here: https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Talent

nice to see that anime is helping us get some new players from being advertised with a small Mabinogi poster in the anime. there was also a Recovery of an MMO Junkie crossover event in 2017: https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Recovery_of_an_MMO_Junkie_x_Mabinogi_Event
    Wolfsinger
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    i say that you shouldnt worry too much about armor piercing through dex, its nowhere near as great as armor piercing with a lance which giants can use + with a shield (humans can only use Lances alone, and elves cant use a lance at all), you also have a giant only skill for those weapons called stampede, its great. You should only worry about dex when it comes to balance or skills that use it for damage, its not very useful for armor piercing, if you want armor piercing, get lances, its far more useful in that criteria that dex doesnt hold a candle to it.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    TexasBear wrote: »
    I'm playing a giant since I played a half Orc in D&D and they are as close to one as i can get. I noticed there was a racial restriction for ranged weaponry which i am guessing gives a ton of dex. Be that as it may I was wondering if there was an alternative for giants to get Dex since my stat page says its essential for dex based skills and armor pierce. I've done the 3 chapters of memoir am 5.5k in total level and have been playing less than a week after finding out about this game from an anime called "Recovery of an MMO Junkie. I could really use some advice and some friends! My server is Nao and my IGN is the same as my user name on here.

We don't have bow or crossbow skills but everything else range-ish is available to us. In terms of taking something in-hand and clobbering something with it, higher dexterity lets you hit higher in the damage range more often. As for range, you can use guns, shuriken, and chainblade. With full realisation of your character name, I find guns to be kinda meh. Chainblade is the best choice of the three, while shuriken has a faster rate of fire and is not stymied by counter attack as chainblades are. There is also alchemy which has many range attack skills. It's slow though and very boring but, in the case of construct alchemy, is the only thing that will save your hiney when you are completely outclassed by the monsters.

The problem with being a giant is that our anti-agro toolbox is smaller than everyone else's. We even have a special giants only skill to INCREASE agro on us; we're meant to be tanks, you see. Making the most with what you've got is what you have to deal with.
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited May 23, 2021
    You get dex by training dex-related skills or training/ranking skills that increase dex. Most of those are Life skills, like first aid and refining.
    Use the wiki to find stats that increase this value.

Giants, however, do not have access to the "Archery" talent. Dexterity is harder for them to amass without doing extra things like:

-using enchants with dex-boosting effects
    -placing homestead figures that give dexterity
    -obtaining totems from events or Alban Knights Training Grounds that raise Dexterity
    -raising a pet up to level 200 and up to cumulative 10,000 and ranking divine link, linking with that pet for the stat boosts
    -building a yellow echostone
    -raising your own cumulative level past at least 20,000 and maintaining level 200 current level to take advantage of Eweca's stats bonuses
    -leveling up while [having an active talent (such as puppetry) + being the appropriate character age] that passively gives additional dex boosts upon each level up (including exploration levels)
    -making and using dex-buffing caters