Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

mabi punishes you for not investing in tankyness

JulieJulie
Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
edited May 13, 2021 in General Chat
Now i dont mean that you need to be focused on being very tanky, but that you need to atleast invest in some of it just to avoid dying when you cant keep enemies off you. I say this because even though im a 2 week old archer that has been grinding my butt off, i was doing outlaw hunting and ran into "Scandalous" Charlene, and i couldn't help but notice that no matter what i did, each time i knock her down she just teleports to my face and she can even do it twice while she's getting up.

So i felt like there was almost no ways around it, she was going to teleport in my face and smack my small amount of health off, i did nearly kill her (after a few naos) but it wasn't enough she got me lol, i was even using vision of ladeca too, but mabis animation cancels can have that work against my favor.
  1. Mabi punishes glass cannons?15 votes
    1. Yes, invest in some defense and HP
       53% (8 votes)
    2. nah git gud scrub
       47% (7 votes)

Comments

• KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    git gud scrub
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I'm not at endgame yet. But I have found that a lot of players with OP equipment, upgrades, enchants, bonus, homestead bonus installs, and all that, either never really learned how to fight and just overcame that discrepancy by powering their way through situations or they did and have become lazy because they could just power their way through. On the other hand, from what I've heard about some endgame content, Nexon, being bankrupt of ideas, just shuts down any clever use of skills and forces folks to just power their way through things. Even then, you can, compensate for not having the most OP equipment by having pretty good equipment and make up the difference with, say, guardian soul stones, which can be purchase from the seal merchant.
    Sherri
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    As you rank up your skills you naturally get tankier to the point everything pretty much does very little damage to even scratch you unless you're doing endgame content.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    ^
    I recall Charlene being one of the higher-ranking Bandits. At two weeks, it sounds like you are not prepared enough to face her.
    It's also hard to gauge where you are in terms of development when you have only mentioned being an archer that has been grinding... what?
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    If you can't/won't embovine your defenses or HP, invest in skills that either allow you to evade, or stun the enemy.

Or, even better, sacrifice a friend and/or guildmate and melt them down for some better armor!
    Wolfsinger
  • JulieJulie
    Fluorette wrote: »
    ^
    I recall Charlene being one of the higher-ranking Bandits. At two weeks, it sounds like you are not prepared enough to face her.
    It's also hard to gauge where you are in terms of development when you have only mentioned being an archer that has been grinding... what?

well I believe im currently sitting at expert archer and seasoned puppeteer, i got a fully upgraded (though no special upgraded) leather long bow, and i have tried using my puppets but with my current stats and ranks she just kinda destroys them.
    Aquasol wrote: »
    If you can't/won't embovine your defenses or HP, invest in skills that either allow you to evade, or stun the enemy.

Or, even better, sacrifice a friend and/or guildmate and melt them down for some better armor!
    as much as I wish i could take a friend im afraid i cant do that while bandit hunting, I have tried but the homestead pass only works for one person. And stunning Charlene is extremely difficult as she has level 2 pings all accross the board, the best i got is puppets snare and a cloud, i cant do anything while using the skill and my cloud can only reappear after 60 sec.

Maybe when i can kill her faster these problems wouldn't be as bad lol
  • HelsaHelsa
    Julie wrote: »
    as much as I wish i could take a friend im afraid i cant do that while bandit hunting, I have tried but the homestead pass only works for one person. And stunning Charlene is extremely difficult as she has level 2 pings all accross the board, the best i got is puppets snare and a cloud, i cant do anything while using the skill and my cloud can only reappear after 60 sec.

Maybe when i can kill her faster these problems wouldn't be as bad lol

You mentioned that Charlene can teleport? But can she teleport through a fence? If not, then stay in the cultivated plots part of the bandit homestead, behind the fences, and keep sending golems around until she falls down.
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    Unfortunately they've changed the game to cater towards all the people who are like level 20k or something because they can't get enough new players. So unless you're able to level up and get what you need from certain skillsets (at this point there are only a few skillsets that are going to be helpful, and investing in any others is a waste of time and resources).

At this point, it seems like the game punishes you JUST for playing the game. So it's not really anything new.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Squee wrote: »
    Unfortunately they've changed the game to cater towards all the people who are like level 20k or something because they can't get enough new players. So unless you're able to level up and get what you need from certain skillsets (at this point there are only a few skillsets that are going to be helpful, and investing in any others is a waste of time and resources).

At this point, it seems like the game punishes you JUST for playing the game. So it's not really anything new.

That's not true at all. smh. You'll want to rank out all the skills to cap your stats out and you'll want to level to 40k at least to cap out on Shine of Eweca. There's a bunch of other things too. You get what you give, if you crap out half way through then you'll never reach your full potential...oh right there is that system as well. This game requires a lot of dedication, just do a little bit at a time and don't get overwhelmed.
    Wolfsinger
  • NemesisNemesis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    it doesn't "punish" you. everyone gets to a certain point in game where things just generally do less damage. you're just not there yet.

there's no real "investing" because it's all skill you're going to end up ranking anyway if you continue playing.

have you tried using counter when she teleports? or maybe wm/defense. there's many ways to get around early game lack of defense.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    I cannot believe that elf QQ has returned....
  • JulieJulie
    Nemesis wrote: »
    it doesn't "punish" you. everyone gets to a certain point in game where things just generally do less damage. you're just not there yet.

there's no real "investing" because it's all skill you're going to end up ranking anyway if you continue playing.

have you tried using counter when she teleports? or maybe wm/defense. there's many ways to get around early game lack of defense.
    Defense will have her take a huge chunk of my health away but yes i have used it anyways, also any knockback attack which includes windmill will have her teleport to my face anyways, i haven't ranked some melee skills like Combat Mastery and Defense and dont really plan to
    Policroma wrote: »

I can make a thread for that if you like :)
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Policroma wrote: »

honey you dont know half of it, i cannot believe this either
  • StormbeastStormbeast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300
    edited May 27, 2021
    i haven't ranked some melee skills like Combat Mastery and Defense and dont really plan to

Here's the main issue, Combat Mastery grants extra HP which is needed for everything. Defense grants standard DEF as well as additional when using the skill. Even if you don't want to melee anything ever, those are 2 skills that you really need to rank up
  • JulieJulie
    Stormbeast wrote: »
    i haven't ranked some melee skills like Combat Mastery and Defense and dont really plan to

Here's the main issue, Combat Mastery grants extra HP which is needed for everything. Defense grants standard DEF as well as additional when using the skill. Even if you don't want to melee anything ever, those are 2 skills that you really need to rank up

But im tryng to not raise so much combat power ;-;
  • StormbeastStormbeast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300

Without raising your CP, you'll be limited in how much content you can reliably do. If you're worried about training CP skills, don't. -CP gear exists, and is common unlike in the old days. Also I personally recommend training in Nowhere to Run baltane mission. 30 min chunks, all enemies are (similar) by default, with the bears being (powerful). These can be augmented through 3 methods: Running the mission on elite (more dangerous, but all enemies are raised 1 stage. Also most of the enemies will swarm you, leading to easier training for AOE skills; Tendering pots can raise the enemies CP by 1 or 2 stages; Baltane Training Bombs - spawns appear 1 stage higher for 3 minutes following the use, stacks with Tendering pots for up to 3 stages higher (boss)
  • HelsaHelsa

Why not visit Duncan and not worry about CP at all?
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    You can be tanky in Mabi?
    SherriPolicroma
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    You can be tanky in Mabi?
    LOL ikr?

But fr even in end game, I see people with TONS of def/prot get their butts kicked.. the big difference is how many nao/guardian stones you have to get back up :)
    Policroma
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    thats what people use to think at the beginning, don't fall into the noob trap, dps and buffs-debuffs over defense and protection, thats the way to go.