Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Chances of console port

CarganCargan
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in General Chat
I know they have talked for while about possibly moving this to mobile and I would love to see that happen but I also would love to see It ported to consoles PS$/xboxone etc. I know there have been several other mmorpgs ported over to consoles and done realy well. Neverwinter, Elderscrolls, Terra, and Black Desert just to name a few. I know some people say well there no money in that but really there is if can get the right attention just look at Fortnite there have been players that have dropped 2-5k just on that. I know id likely drop a significan amount regularly myself if it were to go to the console as its where I prefer to play as i have an ok pc but my consoles are just better performance wise, especially since getting ps5 soon as can catch an available one in a store

Comments

• Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Zero.
    HelsaCrimsọnWolfsingerGreta
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Mabinogi is far too complex and dynamic to smoosh it down into a tiny screen. There are just too many shortcut keys and commands. It's never going to happen.
  • CarganCargan
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    Mabinogi is far too complex and dynamic to smoosh it down into a tiny screen. There are just too many shortcut keys and commands. It's never going to happen.

there are as many in other mmorpgs that have already been ported
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited June 10, 2021
    Cargan wrote: »

there are as many in other mmorpgs that have already been ported

Mabinogi is was made in 2003 in Korea, a lot of the code is so old and messed up this game likely can't run on anything except a windows computer. even if porting this game to a console is possible it would probably cost more money then it's worth. it would be cool if this game could run on Mac or Linux to increase player population a little but even that might be impossible for this old game. there are simply way to many buttons, playing with a keyboard is the only logical option.
    Cargan wrote: »
    I know they have talked for while about possibly moving this to mobile

the mobile mabinogi is a completely different game. it won't be exactly the same as the pc version of mabinogi. maybe mabi mobile could be ported to consoles and made to work on pc as well. that would be great, the idea of having a version of mabi that could run on almost anything would be interesting. however the pc version of mabi we play now is simply to old to do something like that.

this is mabi mobile:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=zqtcTlTH44o
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    At one point they were working on an Xbox 360 port (that tells you how far back we're thinking) but apparently they couldn't come to a good deal with Microsoft and it was scrapped.

Given PSO2, D&D online, and a few other MMOs being playable on consoles these days, I wouldn't call it impossible. Especially since most consoles support keyboards (and some mice) now. It'd be interesting to see if there was a way to make Mabinogi work on a controller though.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    It's an idea, but let's be realistic here. The games you mentioned either have a noticeable presence or decent coverage/interest on this side of the planet, have bigger budgets, or they are subjectively more ambitious in some departments.

So, let's be more realistic and pick other Korean children/young teens' games that would be in a similar bracket to Mabinogi. I can think of two other games like this that had console versions: PangYa! Fantasy Golf (for PSP)/Super Swing Golf series (for Wii) and Dungeon Fighter LIVE (for Xbox 360). I have played them minus Super Swing Golf.
    They had to be simplified content-wise, there was either no or limited online multiplayer, and they ultimately turned out with a result of "it's better to just play the PC version."
    PangYa! was okay in its PSP version, but that was me playing it on a PSP emulator on a PC. D&F's control were terribly awkward on an Xbox controller; I remember that performing skill commands felt like more than it was worth compared to PC.

You can probably find all these games really cheap (or as freeware online) because they either didn't do very well over here, or they have very small fanbases. I have reason to believe Mabinogi would become the exact same if it follows the same path, even with all the decent presentation devCat would attempt to hype up. devCat would really have to raise the bar to receive an acceptable result. But is it worth it?

Is there or would there be any new interest in this game outside of Asia? Who is talking about it today? Who is showing interest from the consumer and business sides? Does this game have decent coverage outside of Asia? Compared to the other games you mentioned, meh...
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Even if they did, pc players would have an advantage over non-pc players.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Even if they did, pc players would have an advantage over non-pc players.

Shhhhhh.