Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabi Engine Revamp?

Hakushi2Hakushi2
Mabinogi Rep: 1,045
edited June 10, 2021 in General Chat
Do you think that mabi will ever get a engine revamp? I think it would bring so much freshness to the game but idk if this game does well enough to warrant it at least make it mabi mobile esk ya know?
IDEASnoneHAVE

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited June 11, 2021
    Whereas there are folks against that very thing for two reasons:
    1) because they want Mabinogi to remain an "anime" game as opposed to "realistic",
    2) folks who can only afford to play F2P can only afford lousy computers that couldn't handle "realistic" graphics,
    I say F 'em both and go with throttle up. It would have to be coupled with an aggressive add campaign though and, maybe, a rebranding.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Nope.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    Nope.

Nein.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Gaby5011 wrote: »
    Nope.

Nein.

Nadda
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840
    edited June 12, 2021
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Nope.

Nein.

Nadda

Does.... Does nobody read the korean improvement page? They'll be improving the engine to optimize the client more and upgrading to 64 bit. They also said they will be doing an overall graphic improvement with character modelling, etc. You can see exactly what they're adding and when it will be done. Even with only google translate it's comprehensive. Here is the source:
    https://mabinogi.nexon.com/page/event/2021/0318_list/index.asp
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Twelie wrote: »
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Nope.

Nein.

Nadda

Does.... Does nobody read the korean improvement page? They'll be improving the engine to optimize the client more and upgrading to 64 bit. They also said they will be doing an overall graphic improvement with character modelling, etc. You can see exactly what they're adding and when it will be done. Even with only google translate it's comprehensive. Here is the source:

Non.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Twelie wrote: »

(Not the one who started this, but....)

I haven't seen that page yet, but navigating their page with a translator is pretty confusing. Thanks for the link!
  • noobodyzxznoobodyzxz
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,990
    I did not see any visual presentation or preview on how they will revamp mabinogi graphics but I dont think they will change anime style graphics into a more realistic graphic style. I think they would change the quality of graphics to match the quality of thee more recent anime style games. For example most of mabinogis current textures looks a lot more like low resolution realistic textures. Optimization leans more toward reduction and u can get a good looking anime style texture even with lower resolutions.
    for example
    texture.png?width=302&height=434
  • OrlikunOrlikun
    Mabinogi Rep: 210
    Helsa wrote: »
    Whereas there are folks against that very thing for two reasons:
    1) because they want Mabinogi to remain an "anime" game as opposed to "realistic",
    2) folks who can only afford to play F2P can only afford lousy computers that couldn't handle "realistic" graphics,
    I say F 'em both and go with throttle up. It would have to be coupled with an aggressive add campaign though and, maybe, a rebranding.

I think that they dont need to change graphics too much, ya can have better quality assets and not elevate pc requirements that much, it depends on the engine.

I think they should maybe not change it as a whole, but upgrade it, so it could handle better draw distance, better shadows and more ppl onscreen without game getting fps drop when few chars show up suddenly.
    Wolfsinger
  • IDEASnoneHAVEIDEASnoneHAVE
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    I believe an engine revamp would be a true stepping stone in bringing this game back to the modern era.
    It will allow further development and may attract other companies to step in and help progress the game.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    At the very least they should update older areas the bring them up to the quality of newer areas. Mabi's biggest issue with graphics/visuals (imho) is the sheer inconsistency.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    At the very least they should update older areas the bring them up to the quality of newer areas. Mabi's biggest issue with graphics/visuals (imho) is the sheer lag.

Fixed that for you.
  • SelzyrSelzyr
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    I think with the server "fixes" they are doing, lag issues and whatnot will be a thing of the past, or one can hope.

Took them what....more than 10 years to think about it?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited June 21, 2021
    Other than graphics there are other areas.

I'd like to see them change how they handle load, by moving away from a channel system to something else. Maybe some kind of multi-tiered approach where each of the lowest tiered machines handle different sets of sessions. Each of these are marshaled by another tier. As you go up in tiers, the services provided are more and more divorced from direct player experience.

I'd like to see them render the world rather than by regional maps but on smaller sectors like the Spider-man games do for Manhattan. In that game, the sector the player is in is fully rendered, as you get farther away, sectors are rendered in less and less detail. This way, as you travel, you only have to lower or raise the rendering of sectors rather than dismiss or load entire maps.

I'd like to see on-the-fly translation, so that folks can play on the same install using their own language, yet everyone understands each other. This along with the previous ideas might be able to allow for a world-wide install of Mabinogi , like WoWc, rather than the regional ones that we now have.

And, while I'm wishing, I'd also like a pony.
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    i have seen some stuff improved by other means on youtube, If they havent done it yet its because the company only wants to invest the very minimum, at this point the game is still alive just because they want to keep it in their portfolio to have something to show, but to be fair there are already too many games with much more attractive graphics, there is no way to reach them anymore, they could have done it with peria but it got canceled, genshin impact has already taken those customers.
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    At the very least they should update older areas the bring them up to the quality of newer areas. Mabi's biggest issue with graphics/visuals (imho) is the sheer lag.

Fixed that for you.

Get a better computer/stop downloading pronz. I rarely get any lag issue, aside from the random disconnection error and have to sit out for 20+ minutes.

If the engine gets a revamp, I would want to see "Fly anywhere" and no loading zones. Uncross-able pits would be a thing to the past, steep hills will push/make you move back, the whole world can be traveled by flying, you can land anywhere that isn't obstructed...

Of course an Open world would bring multiple issues. Shyllen reserve, The Iria River (Who's idea was to make it a canyon?!?), Accidentally heading to Metus, Quila beach, and any other odd world building issues comes to my mind.