Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Musicians of Erinn 2: Summer Edition

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
edited June 11, 2021 in Contests and Events
Summer is almost here and that means it is time for another music contest! Call your friends, you are getting the band back together!

Contest deadline June 30th, 6:00 PM

Contest Details:
  • You must record a song in a group up to 4 players. Less is fine.
  • The song should be an ORIGINAL SONG only.
  • Create the song using instruments/score scrolls.
  • The song should have a summer theme. Think beach vibes, fun in the sun, tropical paradise, etc.
  • The song must be recorded with video and uploaded to YouTube (unlisted is fine), with all group members visible and names on.
  • Feel free to edit your videos.
  • If you need software to record, we recommend using OBS (it's free).
  • Only one entry is needed for all members of a group. Make sure to include everyone's name in your entry
  • If you're part of one group's entry, you cannot be a part of another group's entry.
  • Do not use Laighlinne partners.

Judging: Submissions will be scored based on the following criteria:
• 50% Originality
• 50% Video Presentation

Prizes:
3 Grand Prize Groups
  • Enchanting Peacock Box x45 each
  • Instrument of your Choice, 1 per participant in the Grand Prize group
  • Festival Instrument Coupon x1 each
  • Hamelin's Tuner x1 each

10 Runner Up Groups
  • Enchanting Peacock Box x11 each participant
  • Festival Instrument Coupon x1 each participant

Please submit your recordings along with you and your group's in-game names and servers in this thread!

Full Rules: https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/24772/
Cherizy

Comments

• MusicakeMusicake
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    I have a question, "Original song" as in original tune and composition or original mml code. Please specify. Thank you!
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited June 12, 2021
    Musicake wrote: »
    I have a question, "Original song" as in original tune and composition or original mml code. Please specify. Thank you!

It means you thunked it up from scratch. Taking some anime tune and typing it in by ear doesn't count. BTW, if you win then Nexon owns your tune forever, you don't anymore; look at the fine print.
  • DrTeutophobiaDrTeutophobia
    Mabinogi Rep: 550
    Helsa wrote: »
    Musicake wrote: »

It means you thunked it up from scratch. Taking some anime tune and typing it in by ear doesn't count. BTW, if you win then Nexon owns your tune forever, you don't anymore; look at the fine print.

Oh I don’t like that. That’s a “no deal”for a lot of people. I guess there won’t be many entries this time.
  • Skeith72Skeith72
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    You're gonna need to remove "7. Intellectual Property" section, from the full rules, if you want people to do this.
  • NearlyNearly
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,355
    Literally only logging into the forums to say that Nexon claiming ownership of the songs seems pretty shady.
  • MarshmerrowMarshmerrow
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Katherz wrote: »

I'm not fluent in legalese, could you please clarify what Section 7 means for the entrants? I see what rights are granted to Nexon, but does the entrant retain these rights as well (e.g. can use, modify, post, monetize etc. their own composition)?
  • LialinLialin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010

I'm not fluent in legalese, could you please clarify what Section 7 means for the entrants? I see what rights are granted to Nexon, but does the entrant retain these rights as well (e.g. can use, modify, post, monetize etc. their own composition)?

I'm hesitant to enter for this reason. I don't want to toil over a computer for days only to give all my rights to the composition away.
  • KatherzKatherz
    I will ask our Legal team to further clarify section 7, however, I want to mention that Section 7 is on all of our contest rules, including last year's Musicians of Erinn. You can see all rules here: https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/categories/rules
  • Skeith72Skeith72
    I will ask our Legal team to further clarify section 7, however, I want to mention that Section 7 is on all of our contest rules, including last year's Musicians of Erinn. You can see all rules here: https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/categories/rules

While this is true, it's also true that your last contests allowed covers of existing song, which you couldn't claim ownership anyway. The problem on this one is that original compositions where you strip ownership from us is really scummy.
  • KatherzKatherz
    Hi everyone, I wanted to share the response I got from our Legal team:

Unfortunately, the rules have already been posted and we cannot change them. Since participants will be using Nexon’s assets in the videos, the ownership of the work submitted will need to remain with Nexon.

If anyone feels uncomfortable submitting to the contest, you don't have to! I don't want anyone to submit something they are not comfortable with.
  • DrTeutophobiaDrTeutophobia
    Mabinogi Rep: 550
    edited June 22, 2021

Original Song: Palm Falls
    Server: Nao
    Composer: Reo (Mandolin)
    Chime: Arianette
    Chime: Cypryss
    Drums: Darvy

I hope you enjoy a nice tall glass of ice cold lemonade.
    KatherzSebasteannSkeith72
  • SebasteannSebasteann
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    edited June 22, 2021
    Unfortunately I could not find a video editor that was little to no cost that didn't plaster a giant watermark across the entire middle section of the video, so I decided that the unedited version would have been better to post. I was only going to cut out a little bit in the beginning (after the tuning bit, before the actual song started) and after the song had finished anyways.

This is Ocean Storm
    Ridliy - Piano (Composer)
    Alexandarr - Violin
    INocturne - Drumset
    Paxseko - Cello

The drumset was an attempt to make a tide effect
    also my first original song :D
    KatherzSkeith72
  • CheeriosCheerios
    Mabinogi Rep: 230
    edited June 22, 2021
    I tried.
    Enjoy your Beach Ringtone??

"Beach Rings"
    (Composer) Luux - Drumset
    Adne - Ukelele
    Chozo - Flute
    Wanderer - Lyre

SebasteannKatherzSkeith72
  • ZeldarocksZeldarocks
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    Skeith72 wrote: »
    You're gonna need to remove "7. Intellectual Property" section, from the full rules, if you want people to do this.

I agree with this so much, because my friend showed me this thread and I was heavily debating on entering or not, but after further reading the rules I saw 7 and I'm beside myself now. I've been waiting for the Festival Instruments for so long now and I would finally have a way to get that, but at the price of handing over my hard work. I've made a few original pieces myself already in the game and it got some bad feedback at first, but I've been trying to get a bit more confidence in my abilities on making my own music. if, I were to try and enter this contest, I would want the full rights to the song I worked hard on making. It doesn't sit right with me when people make something out of their own image and hard work, only to have it taken away from them and used for other's personal benefit. I love the concept of this contest though, and I would have fully participated, but that's a major down side for all artists of any kind, so I'm going to have to pass this up. As badly as I want the instrument, I can't bring myself to just hand over something I worked hard on, let alone something I'm struggling to have confidence with.
  • CherizyCherizy
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    Oops accidentally deleted my comment before posting it. My friends and I are planning to participate in this. I wrote some lyrics and a melody and my friend wrote music over it and we pulled in two others to perform with us once we got it all transcribed but we have no idea where to send the link or the mml for the contest? I couldn’t find that bit of information, any link you can give me to reach that? ^^
  • Skeith72Skeith72
    edited June 22, 2021

Original Song: Summer Storm
    Piano: Skeith72 (Composer)
    Harp: Laeryhn
    Ukulele: Diganz
    Drums: Battyhats

The storms of Summer come in with a patter, and ramp up into a crescendo. They then roll out the way they came in, enjoy!

The movement of the camera was to simulate how the sounds of the storm move around you as you wait it out.
    Katherz
  • Skeith72Skeith72
    Zeldarocks wrote: »
    Skeith72 wrote: »

I agree with this so much, because my friend showed me this thread and I was heavily debating on entering or not, but after further reading the rules I saw 7 and I'm beside myself now. I've been waiting for the Festival Instruments for so long now and I would finally have a way to get that, but at the price of handing over my hard work. I've made a few original pieces myself already in the game and it got some bad feedback at first, but I've been trying to get a bit more confidence in my abilities on making my own music. if, I were to try and enter this contest, I would want the full rights to the song I worked hard on making. It doesn't sit right with me when people make something out of their own image and hard work, only to have it taken away from them and used for other's personal benefit. I love the concept of this contest though, and I would have fully participated, but that's a major down side for all artists of any kind, so I'm going to have to pass this up. As badly as I want the instrument, I can't bring myself to just hand over something I worked hard on, let alone something I'm struggling to have confidence with.

You can do what I did, and make something specifically for this that you don't mind being subject to those rules.
  • OlindoriOlindori
    Mabinogi Rep: 985

"A Summer's Day"
    A short story about one small guy's adventure on a big summer day in Erinn.

Server: Alexina
    Hand Chimes : Rosamin (Composer)
    Ukulele: Darkfortune

I know nothing about music or composing, but big thanks to Darkfortune for trying to teach me the basics of musical knowledge! I had no idea songs had structure...
    Katherz
  • ShirerraShirerra
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    Hello I also submitted a ticket but I would like to ask here just in case. My team and I just wanted to know if our names must be visible through the entire music video for submission. Are only small edits allowed?
  • KatherzKatherz
    Cherizy wrote: »
    Oops accidentally deleted my comment before posting it. My friends and I are planning to participate in this. I wrote some lyrics and a melody and my friend wrote music over it and we pulled in two others to perform with us once we got it all transcribed but we have no idea where to send the link or the mml for the contest? I couldn’t find that bit of information, any link you can give me to reach that? ^^

You can post the link to the video in this thread!
This discussion has been closed.