Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Is Mabi even worth coming back to?

ARandomGuyUDontKnoARandomGuyUDontKno
Mabinogi Rep: 600
edited July 3, 2021 in General Chat
Hey everyone, older veteran player here (Started in G8 on Alexina), haven't played Mabi in forever since like 2016, but i'm curious if it's worth coming back to or not. I know the player base was dying back then, and i've heard that it's only gone downhill from there.
any thoughts?

Comments

• OwntrolfOwntrolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,000
    to talk to people sure, but the deeper you get in the game the more it drives you away due to being unrewarding
    ARandomGuyUDontKno
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited July 4, 2021
    The answer is subjective; it depends on how you feel. Some will say yes, others will say no. That depends on whether you know what you want, and once you've figured that out, whether it is provided, and if not, how much that really matters. Asking the question in the forums introduces a sample bias, since folks who think Mabinogi is NOT worth playing are not likely to be active here.
    azurskiesARandomGuyUDontKnoPolicromaFluoretteCarminsia
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Owntrolf wrote: »
    to talk to people sure, but the deeper you get in the game the more it drives you away due to being unrewarding
    Helsa wrote: »
    Asking the question in the forums introduces a sample bias, since folks who think Mabinogi is NOT worth playing are not likely to be active here.

The fact that these two exist on top of each other lol

Honestly whether or not the game's fun or worth coming back to really depends on you and what you think is fun. Personally I think its improved in a lot of ways, but I was also never an endgame player - nor will I be anytime soon. But the quality of life has been doing better lately imo, and there's still plenty for me to do on a regular basis when I've got time to game. So honestly I really think it depends on what you yourself enjoy doing.
    As for playerbase, despite what some people say, I do still see a decent number of activity on either server, even if Nao sees a lot more movement than Alexina. It might not be what it was several years ago, but its still reasonably active.
    ARandomGuyUDontKno
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    edited July 4, 2021
    depends of what you are looking for, the guilds are totally dead so unless you already have some friends to talk with the social aspect might not worth it, there is some new content, clothes, styles and skills to train, that would entertain you for a few months but there's not much to do with them later, materials or requirements are impossible/extremly annoying to get, i came back a few months ago and I'm already thinking of quitting.
    ARandomGuyUDontKno
  • azurskiesazurskies
    Mabinogi Rep: 410
    Unless you already have friends or some other way to pass the time, I wouldn't wholly recommend it? I'm honestly struggling to try to get by myself right now. The guild I'm in (United) is very active, but I've never really been an endgame player, so finding people around my general strength level is pretty lonesome. But if you're up for soloing then sure.

My IGN is azurskies on Nao if you do decide to make a character.
    ARandomGuyUDontKno
  • ikemendesuikemendesu
    Mabinogi Rep: 380
    edited July 4, 2021
    Pannya wrote: »
    depends of what you are looking for, the guilds are totally dead so unless you already have some friends to talk with the social aspect might not worth it, there is some new content, clothes, styles and skills to train, that would entertain you for a few months but there's not much to do with them later, materials or requirements are impossible/extremly annoying to get, i came back a few months ago and I'm already thinking of quitting.

The guilds are not dead at all and this is false information. Maybe the guild you were in was dead, but I have seen plenty of guilds that are still active.
    This is a very subjective opinion and I think the best way to know if it's worth coming back to is just trying it for yourself. Especially because there is a hotday event right now that ends on July 8th that gives out an insane amount of items that will make starting out much easier, such as a huge item bag and inventory expansions.

I also came back a couple of months ago from a long break and I find it fun to play casually.
    ARandomGuyUDontKnoWolfsingerCarminsia
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    ikemendesu wrote: »
    Pannya wrote: »

The guilds are not dead at all and this is false information. Maybe the guild you were in was dead, but I have seen plenty of guilds that are still active.
    This is a very subjective opinion and I think the best way to know if it's worth coming back to is just trying it for yourself. Especially because there is a hotday event right now that ends on July 8th that gives out an insane amount of items that will make starting out much easier, such as a huge item bag and inventory expansions.

I also came back a couple of months ago from a long break and I find it fun to play casually.

Is not false information, i already tried several guilds looking for an active one, all of them are dead, totally dead, sometimes it can take up to a week to see a single message in the chat and for some reason people still dont know that discord exist, i suspect the only ones still alive are the "veteran" guilds, but those usually don't accept new members or are full of toxic people who only talk about politics.
    ARandomGuyUDontKno
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited July 5, 2021
    Owntrolf wrote: »

Yuiko, please. :joy:
    You know darn well that they're updating the dungeon loot RNG. Stop it. :joy:

@OP:
    Hey. If you're here to play Mabinogi, then come play Mabinogi. Stay up to date on news, check around Reddit (I only recommend it for news, not information as many of them don't actually play the game) and the various discord servers for news regarding future content. Explore the game and find different things. There's over a decade worth of content in the game. Finding things to do should not be difficult if you're putting in genuine effort.

If you're just trying to rush to glory, then you're probably going to suffer, yes. The game rewards patience and diligence. If you don't want to try out the various talents, expand your repertoire, develop efficient ways to grind, or just generally enjoy the journey, then you're going to be disappointed. The game has many faults. The game could use improvements. But, they've started actually addressing some of these issues and they're doing many things.

I personally have had no issues with Mabinogi since day 1. There's been enough QoL changes and content updates to keep me interested since my return in 2016. The Devs seem to be paying attention to our conversations, now. All I can say is that Mabinogi is an old game and expecting 2021-tier performance or gameplay is beyond extreme. The game is a relic.

So, if you want to come back, then do so. But, this is your Fantasy Life. Okay? That means no one else is going to tell you how to live that Fantasy Life or hand hold you the entire way. You have to find your own idea of fun in this game, as you would do in reality. That also conclusively means that this thread is basically pointless. You have to decide. :)
    WolfsingerPolicromaCarminsia
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited July 6, 2021
    As someone who likely qualifies as no longer plays, I am still not sure why I no longer play. I think in the end, I became disinterest in using my now scarcer free time to play Mabinogi, and part of that is because the further you progress, the system funnels you into a rather linear set of progression, through special raids and dungeons.

I never began playing Mabinogi for that, and I never was interested in min-maxing.

That, and I discovered new waifus in other games!

de01bml-7d5857a3-32f2-4c9c-a43e-e9afe38cceec.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2JhYmQ3ZDEzLWRkMjQtNDkzNi1hYTMxLWMxNTg2NTg1ZGY2ZlwvZGUwMWJtbC03ZDU4NTdhMy0zMmYyLTRjOWMtYTQzZS1lOWFmZTM4Y2NlZWMucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.VxKbipQ6pnaTux5-eyGXmXwcc9kwTDemXbVp_zQXmlk

....YAAAAAY!!!

I'll probably return if I can see Marleid taking a bath though.
  • KingEphyKingEphy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100

I'll probably return if I can see Marleid taking a bath though.

Mabi characters dressed up for a summer event would be neat. Much like characters named 'Jean' and 'Barbara' There's a higher chance of that happening. No-one in Mabi takes baths anyway.