Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New To the Game Advice?

MagicalxzMagicalxz
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in General Chat
Hi guys!

So I have never played this game before have seen a lot of reviews made by other gamers saying it's a masterpiece.

I have just completed the tutorial and have done some quests too I picked the Chain slashing talent.

I am unsure of a few things though:
What does rebirth actually do? And when I rebirth recently I picked the gun slinger talent but for some reason I never got any guns?
Also I started the 'Advent of the Goddess' Quest line because apparently that is supposed to be done ASAP.

Any other advice people can give me?
Also is there an option to make the game more 'fluid' so it's just HD and running with high graphics?

Comments

• RinzaruRinzaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 610
    No way to make the game more HD but there is a graphical update coming next year however, we don't know fully what that entails just yet if you're on the NAO server go ahead and add me my name is Rinzaru and I can try to help you out
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    the reason you want to rebirth is to get lots of AP to level your skills. when you rebirth into a talent like gunslinger for example you will get more gun skill xp while training that talent and if you wanted to level your chain slashing skills you would want to rebirth into that talent again so you would get more skill xp while leveling those skills up. you should have a quest in your Tutorials quest tab for gunslinger telling you to go to the beginner board near Duncan. if you want to buy dual guns look for a Hillwen Engineer npc, there is one located near every Commerce Post which look like this but with a bunch of npcs in front of it:
    Trading_Post_Tent_Figure_on_Homestead.png
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Magicalxz wrote: »
    Hi guys!

So I have never played this game before have seen a lot of reviews made by other gamers saying it's a masterpiece.

I have just completed the tutorial and have done some quests too I picked the Chain slashing talent.

I am unsure of a few things though:
    What does rebirth actually do? And when I rebirth recently I picked the gun slinger talent but for some reason I never got any guns?
    Also I started the 'Advent of the Goddess' Quest line because apparently that is supposed to be done ASAP.

Any other advice people can give me?
    Also is there an option to make the game more 'fluid' so it's just HD and running with high graphics?

1) Chain talent is very strong. The skills are easy to train but hard to get.
    2) In this game you have two level counters: total and current. Current is reset back to zero when you rebirth. For nearly everything current level counts in the way it does for other similar games in terms of advancing your character. So pretend its WoWc, what's it's top level now? 100? You get to 100, rebirth back to 0 but all your progress to 100 from before is saved. Rebirthing is almost always good. There are, however some bonuses by having a high current level. For you for now, the training bonuses that it can bring would be most applicable to you in using such bonuses.
    3) When you first create a character you get free equipment for your first talent. After that its up to you. So if your first talent was a life-skill one then sucks to be you. If you want to go by cost alone I believe Mage is the best first talent since it gives a free ice wand which is 40k gold IIRC.
    4) Personally, I find Duel Guns to be kinda meh, so I'm the wrong person to ask about them.
    5) G1 and G7 can be skipped, in fact they have buttons to do so, but are you in a hurry?

The biggest advice I would give are:
    1) Find the Wiki. Use the Google if you must.
    2) Get the Chain Slash talent, CHECK!
    3) Get the Transmutation talent aka Construct Alchemy. It has skills in it that can see you through when you are completely outclassed by the monsters. Early on, of course, almost any talent can do so, but mid to late game, when raw damage isn't enough to see you through, transmutation skills have a defensive quality to them where you can avoid most if not all damage. A warning though: Transmutation is slow, not glamorous, and boring; so be ready for that.
    4) Do not master or dan talents, until after you have gotten all skills to rank 1, so that you can visit Duncan often to reset your skills. Duncan resets them all back to rank F returning the invested AP back to you. You can re-raise them by spending the AP, you don't need to retrain. This does two things for you: (1) it's a means of borrowing AP from yourself (2) lowering your skills, lowers your stats, which lowers your CP (Combat Power, wiki it), which makes many skills MUCH easier to train.
    5) Learn how to fight, don't rely on stats and equipment. I can teach you. I have characters on both servers, which one are you on?
  • mintielmintiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,855
    1: Play the game at your own pace. I've noticed that some of the community treats it like you should be rushing to 5k cumulative, but it doesn't seem super worth it to do that unless you're aiming to do specific content (and IMO mabi just doesn't have content worth justifying doing that over.)

2: try to do your story quests. you don't have to do them asap but you should generally do them all. You'll get a decent chunk of levels and some skills you can't get without doing them. You'll probably get G19 soon enough as well so probably do that while you can.

3: Pick up some of your lifeskills. You don't have to super level them but certain ones can be used to make you money, like weaving, herbalism, etc. Especially right now since there's a fishing event going on and gems sell for a decent amount. (Or you can save yourself a lot of money in the future by holding them because they are used to level spirit weapons and are for gem upgrades)
  • stormhammerstormhammer
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,465
    Like a lot of people said, play the game at your own pace.
    Ive been playing on and off for more than a decade now.
    Im not even close to end game haha.

My biggest bit of advice is to make your own goals for yourself.
    This game doesn't make plans for you, you decide how you want to get stronger.
    A "standard" way of getting strong is
    - pick a weapon (chains for you)
    - rank up skills from its skill set
    - rank up skills in another skillset that gives more of the stat your weapon uses (chains are based on dex, so find another skillset that gives you even more dex, like archery)
    - once you've ranked up all the combat skills that give you more of your stat, rank up life skills that provide your stat (you can get more dex from stuff like weaving)
    - rank up every single skill that gives your chosen stat

If you follow those steps, you've hit the maximum amount of dex you can get easily, so you have to think of a new plan to get stronger. And every time you do get stronger, you'll need a new goal.

For example, ive ranked up every skill in the game. I cant get more STR that way, how do i get more powerful? I think id have to get a better sword, and upgrade that. But its not my current goal.

Right now, im not worrying about getting stronger, im just selling hats.

So you gotta pick what you want to do with your life.
    Do you wanna get strong? Do you wanna look cool? Do you want to make a lot of gold? Its your choice.
  • MagicalxzMagicalxz
    Mabinogi Rep: 100
    Thanks for the responses guys! means a lot!
  • HelsaHelsa
    im just selling hats.

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Negumiko wrote: »
    the reason you want to rebirth is to get lots of AP to level your skills. when you rebirth into a talent like gunslinger for example you will get more gun skill xp while training that talent and if you wanted to level your chain slashing skills you would want to rebirth into that talent again so you would get more skill xp while leveling those skills up. you should have a quest in your Tutorials quest tab for gunslinger telling you to go to the beginner board near Duncan. if you want to buy dual guns look for a Hillwen Engineer npc, there is one located near every Commerce Post which look like this but with a bunch of npcs in front of it:

Too lazy to visit a commerce site. smh. :D
  • HelsaHelsa
    Crimsọn wrote: »

That's not fair! They may simply be boasting about their homestead prop.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Helsa wrote: »
    Crimsọn wrote: »

That's not fair! They may simply be boasting about their homestead prop.

Yep, boasting.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Boasterrific!
    Crimsọn
  • mintielmintiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,855
    I sure wish i had a commerce tent homestead prop like that!
    Crimsọn
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    edited September 29, 2021
    play something else, thats my advice, the game its enjoyable at the start but at the mid and end game its all about ptw and trolling rates, if you still want to play and you are already over 1k total level you're screwed, you are not going to be able to use the free skill reset service from duncan, save some millions of gold to get a good -cp (combat power) gear or collect seals from the merchant or events or spam tender pots to be able to train cp dependent skills, after you are done with those skills go for everything else, ppl are going to tell you to follow a certain order and follow a certain meta but the truth is that its better if you train according to the bonuses of the events in progress and there is no meta, the game change over time, what is powerful right now might not be the next year, other than that get every single of your free pets and characters to use them as storage and pick up materials and store them (dont sell them) leathers, nails, food, gems, magicraft and eng ores, blacksmith ores, etc. and use them only if there is a good training boost event, that are going to save you from a lot of rage quits thanks to life skills.
    edit: just 1 more thing, grind sw (shadow wizard) elite with random parties on fridays and saturdays for some extra money and be nice.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Duncans reset serve is available after lvl 1000, it just comes with a fee. That fee will cost you A LOT less than -cp gear will.
  • stormhammerstormhammer
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,465
    Pannya wrote: »
    play something else, thats my advice

Not the worst advice in the game ;)
    be nice.

10/10 advice, say no more fam
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    play something else, thats my advice, the game its enjoyable at the start but at the mid and end game its all about ptw and trolling rates, if you still want to play and you are already over 1k total level you're screwed, you are not going to be able to use the free skill reset service from duncan, save some millions of gold to get a good -cp (combat power) gear or collect seals from the merchant or events or spam tender pots to be able to train cp dependent skills, after you are done with those skills go for everything else, ppl are going to tell you to follow a certain order and follow a certain meta but the truth is that its better if you train according to the bonuses of the events in progress and there is no meta, the game change over time, what is powerful right now might not be the next year, other than that get every single of your free pets and characters to use them as storage and pick up materials and store them (dont sell them) leathers, nails, food, gems, magicraft and eng ores, blacksmith ores, etc. and use them only if there is a good training boost event, that are going to save you from a lot of rage quits thanks to life skills.
    edit: just 1 more thing, grind sw (shadow wizard) elite with random parties on fridays and saturdays for some extra money and be nice.

Don't listen to this player, they are doing it wrong.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Even if you don't gamble with money, you'll gamble with time, and this game is more addicting than heroin. I went to rehab for 20 years, and this game still claws at my newfound sobriety. My cousin, KillfullBliss, overdosed three years ago on Mabinogi, after his wife left him, his children deserted him, and his car was repossessed by the bank.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Even if you don't gamble with money, you'll gamble with time, and this game is more addicting than heroin. I went to rehab for 20 years, and this game still claws at my newfound sobriety. My cousin, KillfullBliss, overdosed three years ago on Mabinogi, after his wife left him, his children deserted him, and his car was repossessed by the bank.

"You can spend all your time making money
    You can spend all your love making time"
    (Take It to the Limit; The Eagles, 1975)

Therefore, by the Transitive Property: You can spend all your love making money. No one ever talks about this implication, but in this case I'll just say "Beatcha to it!"