Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Halloween Event 2020 vs Halloween Event 2021

NegumikoNegumiko
Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
in General Chat
So I always look forward to Halloween events in mmo games and Nexon does a amazing job with most of their Halloween events. This new "The Milletian Detective's Journal," event looks awesome and I am glad we got it this year after being disappointed in 2020. Last year was so bad I had to make this about it:
despdph-6211bf95-975e-47f9-ac58-ef3d17696fd0.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGVzcGRwaC02MjExYmY5NS05NzVlLTQ3ZjktYWM1OC1lZjNkMTc2OTZmZDAucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.My-5Sptp4AMwkt2xXfR914WHNNv98PrfFVcDYXXCzqc
(seriously though thanks for giving us a awesome Halloween event this year Nexon. we need a fun event like this to forget about covid and all the other depressing problems going on right now)
CrimsọnSherri

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Geez, calm down, most of us haven't even done/seen this event before so there's no reason to be hyped over it yet.
    Helsa
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    The world can always use more positivity!
  • PumpkinRioPumpkinRio
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,345
    edited October 14, 2021
    Greta wrote: »
    Geez, calm down, most of us haven't even done/seen this event before so there's no reason to be hyped over it yet.

Damn, you must be really fun at parties huh?
  • StormbeastStormbeast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300
    PumpkinRio wrote: »

I mean, they have a point. After day 1, this event isn't all that exciting. I love the shop items because I love Halloween, but storyline appears basic/boring, and the mini-games don't look all that great either (judging from the post). I hope to be wrong about the mini-games and that the story gets better, but the hype over this event doesn't match with what we've received so far.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Stormbeast wrote: »

I mean, they have a point. After day 1, this event isn't all that exciting. I love the shop items because I love Halloween, but storyline appears basic/boring, and the mini-games don't look all that great either (judging from the post). I hope to be wrong about the mini-games and that the story gets better, but the hype over this event doesn't match with what we've received so far.

while I agree the story doesn't appear to be quite as good as some Halloween events in the past it is certainly better then what we go last year. a boring rock, paper, scissors event with some problems and adding a free event item into the gacha last year was just insulting. just to be clear I don't think this is the greatest Halloween event we have ever had but I still like it and hope that the story gets even better as we go further into it. so far Nexon is doing a pretty good job with Halloween this year. when I am blaming Nexon for how bad last year was I am blaming Nexon KR not the NA team cause KR makes all the big decisions.

honestly last year the Halloween event felt so poorly done it would have been better to just give us a old Cursed Labyrinth event instead. this thread is mostly just my opinion on what I think of the event last year compared to the event we got this year and last year I think Nexon KR really messed up. I want us to have better events and if we have to have gacha they should at least be good gacha. if Nexon KR is going to try to rip us off then I intend to express my disappointment in their work.

please continue to comment on what you all think of this event cause that is all this is, a thread comparing this Halloween event to the last one. not sure how the Halloween gacha will go cause it is not out yet but hopefully at least this one won't try putting a event item intended to be free in it this year.
  • orcabluewaorcabluewa
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,330
    Are they hiding this event's info? lol All I've seen is the quest. But it doesn't say how to share candy with t he residents. You can't equip the basket and you can't "give" the basket to them. How do you do this event?
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    orcabluewa wrote: »
    Are they hiding this event's info? lol All I've seen is the quest. But it doesn't say how to share candy with t he residents. You can't equip the basket and you can't "give" the basket to them. How do you do this event?

so hover your mouse over your mini map and you will see a icon that looks like a person called NPC search. click on that icon and you will be be able to see a list of all the npc characters in the Dunbarton area. scroll almost all the way down that list and near the bottom of the list you will see 3 npc characters called Town Resident or something like that. click on each one on the list and it will show you each of their locations on your mini map. one is near the event npc, another is near Glenis the grocery store npc, and the last one is near Nerys the weapon shop merchant. you only give these resident npc characters candy and all you have to do is talk to them to give them the candy.

so it should go give candy to a resident, talk to Kristell at the Dunbarton church and eat the food she gives you, give candy to another resident NPC, talk to Glenis and eat the food she gives you, and finally give candy to one more resident and report back to the event npc Erris.
  • stormhammerstormhammer
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,465

When critiquing it, you gotta think about how much effort was put in developing it.
    Last year, recycled RPS event. Slapped together game mechanics and rewards and you got a last minute event.
    This year, new minigame. New code had to be written. New code in an old engine take FOREVER to write and test.
  • StormbeastStormbeast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300
    really disappointed in the replayable mini-game for week 2. Nothing near what I was expecting from the description of the event. It has nothing to do with picking the right boxes and everything with stupid RNG giving the pumpkin from the single box on your screen. Only way to lose is either really bad RNG or AFKing for 3+ minutes in the event....
  • stormhammerstormhammer
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,465
    Stormbeast wrote: »
    really disappointed in the replayable mini-game for week 2. Nothing near what I was expecting from the description of the event. It has nothing to do with picking the right boxes and everything with stupid RNG giving the pumpkin from the single box on your screen. Only way to lose is either really bad RNG or AFKing for 3+ minutes in the event....

yeeeeaaaah. I honestly expected it to be a stripped down version of the cursed labyrinth but with the gimmick of racing an npc.
    This is just "pathfind x times"
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

That's just Greta being Greta. Don't mind her too much because I can be worse. :trollface:
  • GretaGreta
    Crimsọn wrote: »

That's just Greta being Greta. Don't mind her too much because I can be worse. :trollface:

Hey, guess what? So glad i wasn't excited, the event is pure garbage. Literally everything else we had at Halloween before in this game was better for me. 7-10 minute event... Bruh...
    Helsa
  • GretaGreta
    edited October 28, 2021
    I underestimated this event. It's actually probably the worst event we had in past few years. The new challenge is literally impossible, either it's intentional or it's bugged and laggy for me as hell. Displacement lag on every step and getting booted no matter if i step on correct tile or not, sometimes i run through few wrong ones in a row and nothing happens and next time i literally step on FIRST green tile and get booted for standing on "wrong" one.
    Helsa
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited October 28, 2021
    I underestimated this event. It's actually probably the worst event we had in past few years. The new challenge is literally impossible, either it's intentional or it's bugged and laggy for me as hell. Displacement lag on every step and getting booted no matter if i step on correct tile or not, sometimes i run through few wrong ones in a row and nothing happens and next time i literally step on FIRST green tile and get booted for standing on "wrong" one.

Take a screencap and reference the correct path bit by bit.
    m8aVauS.png
    I promise you will be able to complete it really quickly with this method.
    aeternitispawcalypse
  • GretaGreta
    edited October 28, 2021
    I LITERALLY did this method and it kept me booting away even though i moved STEP BY STEP carefully while at least double-checking screenshot... I'm not lying, it's ridiculous. I just told you i even get booted sometimes when stepping on FIRST GREEN TILE, like WHAT?
    Helsa
  • MelbellMelbell
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    so even if a zoom all the way out I can't see that whole of the correct path. This mini game is literally impossible. It'd be one thing if the path stayed there until you moved so maybe I could move my view around and try to study it. But every time I'm sent back to the beginning it reset my view so I literally can not see the end of the second half of the path. This is absolutely the worst mini game. Give me the option of which one to play cuz I'll happily go back to last weeks game.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Whenever they announce a new event, like everyone else, I first go straight to the prize list. If there's something I like then I participate; if not then I don't. I've been skipping a lot of events lately including this one. After reading the horror stories here (pun possibly intended) I'm doubly glad I'm not bothering. Anyway, I'm gonna go back to not feeling the slightest bit of stress; toots!
  • MizukoMizuko
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,315
    The second round is trashed because there were several bugs and missteps during the game. I rather afk and let the spirit win anyway to finish the quest.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    thought i was losing my mind every time i got booted off for stepping on the CORRECT TILES..
    dumb Papyrus wanna-be spirit...
  • aeternitisaeternitis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,045
    @Crimson. Thanks for the tip. I was able to finish using the screenshot method.
    Crimsọn