Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Please merge Alexina and Nao Mk XII

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Thank goodness for the KR community remaining dedicated. With regards to Nexon KR being deaf to us, it certainly seems like that sometimes and, indeed, it may be so, but, keep in mind, an explanation is not an excuse. This forum is called "Feedback". THEY made the forum. If our beaching about things falls on deaf KR ears, it still falls on NA ears. I figure: just keep nagging until they start nagging KR, after all it's a strategy that's worked for mothers since time began.
  • HaediHaedi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    edited October 20, 2021
    Please merge Alexina and Nao.

I would LOVE to see the marketplace bustling again, at least with what is left of mabinogi NA. @OP, how about making a poll to see how many support this?
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    Haedi wrote: »

I would LOVE to see the marketplace bustling again, at least with what is left of mabinogi NA. @OP, how about making a poll to see how many support this?

most of us have stopped making polls when making server merge threads since for some reason they were always getting locked and labeled as petitions even when most of them were not petitions.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Haedi wrote: »

I could, I suppose, but the total number of data points is likely to be less than 40.
  • KagenokamiKagenokami
    Mabinogi Rep: 905
    Bump
  • HelsaHelsa
    Okay to review: each character, pet, and homestead is a record in the Mabinogi database. A record is a set of fields that collectively describe some object. A field is a single data item about that object. Each of these records use character name along with server-of-residence as their primary key. The primary key of a record is a field or set of fields that MUST hold unique data, to allow the record to be unambiguously interacted with. This is why, for the merge, duplicate character, pet, and homestead names, that now no longer had unique server-of-residence fields had the +oldserver tags appended to their names; this made them unique again.

Each of these records have a field called record number. It starts at 1 (or 0 depending on how they want to implement it) and each new record created is n+1. As a consequence, record number is always unique. When the merge happened, since Mari was the largest of the servers to be merged, they began with that partition. So Mari folks record numbers are the same as they were as Mari. The next partition appended to Mari was Ruairi. So whoever had record number 1 on Ruairi became, on Nao, TheHighestRecordNumberOfMari + 1 and so on. Last added was Tarlach so number 1 on Tarlach became, on Nao, TheHighestRecordNumberOfMari + TheHighestRecordNumberOfRuairi + 1. The very first uniquely Naowegian character then was record number: TheHighestRecordNumberOfMari + TheHighestRecordNumberOfRuairi + TheHighestRecordNumberOfTarlach + 1.

It has been proposed, by the community that the primary key be switched to record number. This would allow name duplication without the +oldserver business. Furthermore, it has been suggested since this would eliminate name squatting that everyone could have precisely the name they actually wanted. In order to contact the correct character from of list of identical names, each character would have a unique contact number , like a phone number, in the real world (calculated from their record number). This number would remain the same even if the character changed their name. Freeing up the name field like this would make name change a simpler and less consequential operation on the server side, allowing the service to be made cheap enough for Nexon to price it at the optimum demand elastic point.

Oh, yeah, and it'd make a final merge a nothing-burger.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    And that concludes the monthly bump.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    And that concludes the monthly bump.

My mk XIII finger is itchy!