Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Beast/Dark Knight/Paladin rework

LoraLora
Mabinogi Rep: 830
in Feedback and Suggestions
So as the title states, I really think there's some changes needed to the beast/champion/paladin classes.

First off the titles, I think the biggest drawback for late game players is losing their titles when they transform. Unfortunately turning into a falcon is not worth losing my +50 magic attack. I think having the option to not use the titles would reduce the drawback of transforming.

Secondly the skills. I've never played a giant so I can't speak on their unique skill unfortunately.

- Elven Magic Missile has some pretty big flaws when it comes to damage. Which is a shame because I'm an Archer/Mage focused character and my main weapons are staves/bows. I think if the skill scaled better with Int/Dex and did equal damage for bows and wands, it would be a cool update. I also think that the skills could have an added effect based on the element. Ice could have a slowing affect after the blizzard blows, lightning could do a magic defense debuff, fire could provide a burning effect that does damage over time, similar to Meteor Strike.

- Control of Darkness has some pretty interesting mechanics that honestly with some tweaks could be a very useful skill. Instead of having the monsters disappear, I think they should reflect the drainage of dark knight where the health bar stars bleeding. During the bleed process they could have better stats, giving them a berserk-esque mode. Also remove the need for the black fomor scrolls as this is one of the reason I never see this skill used anymore. The taming % also could use a boost.

- Paladins don't have a unique skill and honestly it's kind of fine? It works with their more warrior theme aesthetic and if the title is removed, it's a really nice defensive buff. I still actually see people transform into Paladin for the defensive side which speaks to its effectiveness.

Thirdly, allow humans to change between Paladin and Dark Knight. I know a lot of players who regret becoming Dark Knights and would want to become Paladins.

Lastly I believe that Dark Knights could use a boost in their random stats. Right now they currently get a randomize buff to int/dex/str. While these buffs were nice in early generations, they definitely aren't as useful or practical compared to Paladins consistent buffs. I think either changing this entire system or increasing the % of Dark Knights would be super beneficial.
NegumikoKagenokami
    No results for this poll

Comments

• NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Lora wrote: »
    Thirdly, allow humans to change between Paladin and Dark Knight. I know a lot of players who regret becoming Dark Knights and would want to become Paladins.
    Part of the reason players regret becoming Dark Knights is cause the Infra Black Armor looks worse then any other Dark Knight Armor. I think players should have the freedom to select any previous transformation appearance as long as they have reached the proper rank to unlock it. This would help make transformations look a lot more unique. A good reason to become a Dark Knight is we have better mp boosts then Paladin does and our bleed effect is helpful for training the healing skill. Four years ago I made a thread about my thoughts on how we could possibly return to being a Paladin: https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/15811/return-to-paladin-quest-scroll
    First off the titles, I think the biggest drawback for late game players is losing their titles when they transform. Unfortunately turning into a falcon is not worth losing my +50 magic attack. I think having the option to not use the titles would reduce the drawback of transforming.
    Yes, allowing players to equip any first and second titles they want would be a big help. Make the title that come with the transformation into regular titles that can be equipped or removed at any time both when transformed or not transformed.
    Lastly I believe that Dark Knights could use a boost in their random stats. Right now they currently get a randomize buff to int/dex/str. While these buffs were nice in early generations, they definitely aren't as useful or practical compared to Paladins consistent buffs. I think either changing this entire system or increasing the % of Dark Knights would be super beneficial.
    Another way they could buff up our stats is to give us Dan tests and Dan ranks for our transformations. In theory anyone should be able to become a Dark Knight and it is completely optional so why limit it to humans only. Let Elves and Giants have a choice and decide if they want to have Dark Knight powers.
    Kagenokami
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    - Allow going back and forth between the knight transforms like we can with Goddess allegiance.
    - G5 was the original Falcon Transformation; bring it back.
    - G6 was the original Beast Transformation; bring it back.
    - Retcon G4 to include a human animal transformation.
    - Bring back the old G2 and G3 for Irians, so that they can become knights.
    - Allow one to have an animal and knight transformation, active simultaneously and let the stats stack. Given the power creep in this game, what does it matter now.
  • KagenokamiKagenokami
    Mabinogi Rep: 905
    So as the title states, I really think there's some changes needed to the beast/champion/paladin classes.

Secondly the skills. I've never played a giant so I can't speak on their unique skill unfortunately.

- Elven Magic Missile has some pretty big flaws when it comes to damage. Which is a shame because I'm an Archer/Mage focused character and my main weapons are staves/bows. I think if the skill scaled better with Int/Dex and did equal damage for bows and wands, it would be a cool update. I also think that the skills could have an added effect based on the element. Ice could have a slowing affect after the blizzard blows, lightning could do a magic defense debuff, fire could provide a burning effect that does damage over time, similar to Meteor Strike.

- Control of Darkness has some pretty interesting mechanics that honestly with some tweaks could be a very useful skill. Instead of having the monsters disappear, I think they should reflect the drainage of dark knight where the health bar stars bleeding. During the bleed process they could have better stats, giving them a berserk-esque mode. Also remove the need for the black fomor scrolls as this is one of the reason I never see this skill used anymore. The taming % also could use a boost.

- Paladins don't have a unique skill and honestly it's kind of fine? It works with their more warrior theme aesthetic and if the title is removed, it's a really nice defensive buff. I still actually see people transform into Paladin for the defensive side which speaks to its effectiveness.

I couldn't agree more in regards to permitting titles to be utilized during transformations. If The Champion gives stats, add them into the transform itself rather than the title. Or make transform titles a tertiary title. Like: Kagenokami Sweet Rose The Storm Strider - Champion

I do however disagree on the note of the paladins not having a special skill. I would, personally, like to see them have some kind of unique skill to them. Maybe a turn undead or the like?
    Negumiko wrote: »
    Part of the reason players regret becoming Dark Knights is cause the Infra Black Armor looks worse then any other Dark Knight Armor. I think players should have the freedom to select any previous transformation appearance as long as they have reached the proper rank to unlock it. This would help make transformations look a lot more unique. A good reason to become a Dark Knight is we have better mp boosts then Paladin does and our bleed effect is helpful for training the healing skill. Four years ago I made a thread about my thoughts on how we could possibly return to being a Paladin: https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/15811/return-to-paladin-quest-scroll

Another way they could buff up our stats is to give us Dan tests and Dan ranks for our transformations. In theory anyone should be able to become a Dark Knight and it is completely optional so why limit it to humans only. Let Elves and Giants have a choice and decide if they want to have Dark Knight powers.

I can absolutely get behind this. I know many people who don't finish out ranking their transforms solely for cosmetic reasons and would be overjoyed to be able to choose what they look like. I especially think it would be cool if you could toggle champion wings on lower-ranked armors. Cause I know that some people prefer earlier paladin armors but still like the champion wings.
    Helsa wrote: »
    - Allow going back and forth between the knight transforms like we can with Goddess allegiance.
    - G5 was the original Falcon Transformation; bring it back.
    - G6 was the original Beast Transformation; bring it back.
    - Retcon G4 to include a human animal transformation.
    - Bring back the old G2 and G3 for Irians, so that they can become knights.
    - Allow one to have an animal and knight transformation, active simultaneously and let the stats stack. Given the power creep in this game, what does it matter now.

I do think it would be nice for all races to have access to all transforms.
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    edited March 26, 2022
    Not a fan of letting humans swap back and forth, Falcon needs love. DK is fine, sure the stats are meh late game but the guaranteed ping skills and being able to keep it going as long as you need with glyphs alone make it a good competitor to Pally. I wouldn't be against them getting an ability though even something as simple as a second defense skill on an independent (and slightly longer) cooldown from the regular defense skill. maybe give a protection boost for a few seconds after it blocks an attack.

I would love being able to pick what form the transformation takes on so that I could rank my DK to one though.

The only buff control of darkness needs is letting us get around needing to pay so much for the scrolls. Sure its not a lot but its probably the main reason I and many people don't touch the skill. Either limiting how many times it can be used per transformation or making the scrolls relatively easy to craft with former scrolls would work. The mobs definitely don't need a buff.

To keep trans more viable into the late game giving them all more % based buffs rather than flat buffs still balanced around the old caps would be fix a lot of it.

Would also be nice to have trans work like divinity and not triggering cooldown or any buffs unless you enter combat.