Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Current state of Mabinogi, opinions?

Comments

• VimaVima
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    Helsa wrote: »
    ... or they could NOT lock the thread and just delete the posts that violate terms of service; that's an option right?

Maybe they could actually penalize those who are intentionally violating ToS for once.
    Greta
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Like there are same two or maybe more individuals who keep repeating same offense over and over again, which is derailment most of the time, but also literally even dare to grasp sensitive topics such as politics in a freaking game forums. And it has happened several times already over the past year or so. Like seriously, this must stop.
  • hotpinknightmarehotpinknightmare
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    i made a forum account just to reply to this thread since its interesting

1. What made you join this wonderful game in the first place?

in 2014 around when the iria saga was new i was 12 and i was looking through steam for free to play games and i saw mabinogi. i downloaded it with a bunch of other free games and it turned out to be the only game i liked out of the like 5 other games i tried
    my first character was an elf bard and i thought i was being so poetic & cute and mysterious by using rank F playing instrument in front of a small pond with a hood over my head lol. i don't remember if i got too far with it though, just that i messed the skills up and i made a second account to get the premium character stuff for free, where i made a human bard/fighter that took me a month to get to naive talent level and finish g2. i didn't even finish g3 until now

2. Did you have breaks from the game? How long, and why?

i had a lot of breaks in-between playthroughs, they usually lasted from a couple months to a couple years, and every time i came back from a break i would make a new account and a new character to re-learn the game from the beginning, and then drop it all again when i lost interest in the game.

3. What is the best feature of them game?

i could never really relate to the whole sense of community thing a lot of people talk about on this game, especially now that i'm coming back in 2022. back when i played it a lot in middle/high school a lot of the people were really sweet and helpful, but didn't really seem all too interested in being friends. social anxiety was never really a problem for me, but often times i felt like odd one out, especially now. i haven't interacted with too many people since making a new character about a week ago, but the few ones i did talk to would treat me like i was a stray dog just because i was in newbie wear, or just straight up pretend they were blind and deaf in my presence.
    but anyway, i think the fact that you can have so many different skills and aren't locked to one single class and playstyle is really unique and fun. and i really like the bard system, the fact you get to compose your own music with a bunch of different instruments to play and even play them all together in jams with other people is a really unique feature for an mmo, in my opinion. bards & other musical playstyles have always been my favorite in games like this, so i really appreciate that you have the option to have bard skills along with anything else.

4. What, in your opinion can increase popularity and engagement in the game?

honestly, i couldn't say for sure. i agree that a graphical update would help a lot with bringing in new players, but the fact that the game's graphics are well lol like this make it so much easier for older computers to run the game without too much issue, which is something i appreciate. i don't really care too much about popularity, though. so far since coming back i've just played it like a singleplayer game with a chatroom lol

5. Did Mabinogi change you? if so, how?

i'd be lying if i said it didn't change me at all, but i wouldn't be able to put my finger on what it changed. not sure what to say on this part lol

6. Do you think Mabinogi will never be the same? Do you think it's done for good?

unfortunately i think it's only a matter of time before the game becomes dead enough to pull the plug on, at least for the NA servers. not sure about the SK servers since afaik they have a good amount of daily players.
    in some ways i miss mabinogi from when i first played just for nostalgia. in others i really appreciate the new boosts and the fact that you can get a rank 1 skill with a ton of AP in just a couple of hours instead of spending weeks grinding out ap just to master one skill.

Other thoughts

i definitely don't appreciate the fact that you have to grind to not look busted or drop $$$ on gachas for a chance to get a fit you like. i don't really like the fact that a lot of the fashion on this game is just to see who can make the most eye-melting seizure inducing colorful outlandish outfit they could possibly make, but it's an anime game so what did i expect? lol

i have a bit more appreciation for the story of this game now, it's actually pretty interesting. back when i played before i just skipped through it all, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't do that at all now. it can get a little wordy at times, lol.
    the port cobh/belvast areas are my favorite in terms of aesthetic. i've always liked nautical themes and i think those parts of the game are really pretty. other people say that the boat ride from cobh to belvast gets old fast, but i like it a lot, its probably one of my favorite parts of the game. its one of the reasons i like commerce so much

Conclusion

i still find mabinogi to be a fun game, but it's not something i would drop money on again. i did blow a lot of $$$ on this game when i was younger, which was kind of dumb considering i've lost all my previous accounts so i can't even enjoy the fruits of my bad choices.

i do NOT like how most of the community is still as childish and petty as they were when i was younger. it was acceptable when everyone else was in middle and high school, but now everyone's about in their late teens/early twenties (like me) and writing google docs on how someone acts on an anime game. like what? stop acting like ur 14 and go work at ur walmart shift like the adult u are Get over urself dude it's pixels on a screen. If u dont like it then look away!!!!!! the bugle arguments making your drama the whole server's business is a prime example of why i'm not too invested in the community at the moment.

so yeah, those are my thoughts after about a week and a half after coming back to mabi after two years' break. :D

• ArtierArtier
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    I am gonna skip some of your questions because most of these comments are pretty much resonating with me.
    Haven't been playing for a long while and just recently came back. Improved graphics and object collision are a big one as most games are much smoother. Not much to do about that though because it would require some major overhauling.
    First ever relationship was with somebody in mabi. Met a lot of cool people in mabi and stayed friends for many many years. A lot of the social aspects shaped my life.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited March 14, 2022
    Fun and rewarding leveling system. I really wish more games went in with the rebirth system.

I actually haven't logged in for years.

You mean this game? Easily the leveling and grinding aspect.

I do not know. The game is old and becoming dated. As a whole, I do not think people are really flocking to these fantasy type MMOs as they use to, the only one really being Genshin Impact, but that's partially due to it also being on mobile with a ton of money thrown in developing it. I don't anything can except a new game. Shame, because I think the story and world building is pretty great.

I became more a prick, I think. I also vastly prefer not interacting with people.

6. Do you think Mabinogi will never be the same? Do you think it's done for good?
    All things die, and I'd be surprised if Mabinogi in NA lasts another decade. I didn't quit for any reason other than disinterest and life. I am moving up in the world, and I am all played out in terms of Mabinogi. Plus, there are other games I want to play.

As I said, old, and people don't want old, they want new.
  • KingEphyKingEphy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100

I do not know. The game is old and becoming dated. As a whole, I do not think people are really flocking to these fantasy type MMOs as they use to, the only one really being Genshin Impact, but that's partially due to it also being on mobile with a ton of money thrown in developing it. I don't anything can except a new game. Shame, because I think the story and world building is pretty great.

Not trying to derail things, but Genshin is actually more of a Single Player RPG with co-op as a sidedish. Not an MMO (though they sure try to consider themselves one. Heh.).

• ExaetaExaeta
    Mabinogi Rep: 710
    Pearpad wrote: »
    I saw a youtube video on it.
    Yes mostly for work though.
    Being able to do lots of talents and not being restricted.
    Being multi-platform (Linux, MacOS), and improving the flow of gameplay would definitely help. Repair fees are good but it does not change the fact that the game has pay-2-win walls that are a little too high. Game should allow free to play players to earn equipment slots and such. The game should focus progression less on events and more on regular gameplay. Cooperative play needs to use more than 4-player and the lag in this game is much worse than any other modern MMO and so definitely needs to be fixed. Midgame -> Endgame progression needs to be rebalanced and stats should be reworked so your stats don't soft cap forcing you to rely on gear and Shine of Eweca, both of which are very difficult to progress. When you hit the stat soft cap it's a very abrupt transition from getting stronger to not being able to make much progress which I think drives a lot of people away from the game around this point. Some new easily accessible system needs to be added inbetween current midgame and endgame that gives extra stats beyond the ones you get from skills that you can slowly work on for a year-ish? Something that progresses stats a bit similarly to how Crusader skills do. The Enchant Protect system needs to be completely reworked as it's far too difficult to enchant gear. Enchant protects are probably a big cash cow for Nexon but they could and should be removed, make enchant never destroy gear, and instead sell enchant burn protection potions or allow a way to re-roll enchant values with another cash shop item so whales can go for max roll but free-to-play players can at least have good enchants even if not max-roll. I would also fix the various bugs with the controls and add additional hot swap rows/equip slots.