Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Together in Erinn

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Can we also get the servers to move from Oregon to somewhere more convenient for the rest of the playerbase like east side of america NY,boston,new jersey for better ping in eu,canada,england and such

You know I have had the same thoughts myself. If you look at a map of the world, fully one half, one entire side of it is water. Nexon NA servers are all on the edge of that water and the timings of things are set to be convenient to where they are located. Let's address the elephant in the room, Nexon NA is really Nexon World (except SK, JP, TW, HK, and CN), yet it continues to act as though it is Nexon CA (California, not Canada). Moving shop to eastern time would make things 3 hours more convenient for, literally, everyone else. If 'shop' however must remain in North America, we can do one hour better. Rather than, say, Boston, set up shop in Halifax, Canada. It's on Atlantic Time, that's one hour sooner than Eastern. The city has the infrastructure to host Nexon's needs and would likely be keen enough to have Nexon to offer tax incentives. Doing so, ironically I suppose, WOULD make it Nexon CA after all. :)
    Grimshackle
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    I can't say I'm happy to see this but I guess it was inevitable. Time to bunker down, make a list, and protect my stuff, names included. Good thing most of these alts were made to be expendable anyway.
    See y'all Nao-tions in Erinn in April!
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 25, 2022
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    I can't say I'm happy to see this but I guess it was inevitable. Time to bunker down, make a list, and protect my stuff, names included. Good thing most of these alts were made to be expendable anyway.

Although it will be called Erinn, technically the one server to rule them all will be Mari.
    Sherri
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Helsa wrote: »

Although it will be called Erinn, technically the one server to rule them all will be Mari.

I stand by Alexina to the end >:)
  • HelsaHelsa

There's actually a slight chance of that. After a full decade of being like Nao is now, if it's database is still somehow larger than Nao's then Nao will be absorbed into Alexina then Alexina renamed. On the night of the first merge, some of us watched as Mari absorbed Ruairi first then Tarlach and then was renamed. We'll see.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger

There's actually a slight chance of that. After a full decade of being like Nao is now, if it's database is still somehow larger than Nao's then Nao will be absorbed into Alexina then Alexina renamed. On the night of the first merge, some of us watched as Mari absorbed Ruairi first then Tarlach and then was renamed. We'll see.

That'd be kinda funny. We'll see how this rolls.
    I'm gonna lowkey chill for it, not expecting to get any seal stones so I'm just gonna watch the fiasco and enjoy the show. I'm resigned at this point, only hope is the lag don't kill me the first few days/weeks.
  • HelsaHelsa

That'd be kinda funny. We'll see how this rolls.
    I'm gonna lowkey chill for it, not expecting to get any seal stones so I'm just gonna watch the fiasco and enjoy the show. I'm resigned at this point, only hope is the lag don't kill me the first few days/weeks.

One thing you CAN do in the three weeks we have left with Alexina is, since, it is so dead right now, getting the titles for discovering the Irian Dungeons is a heluva lot easier that it will be on Erinn. Sure, it ain't much but it's something!
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    Greta wrote: »
    At this point, i'm giving Mabinogi NA another ~5 years until it's demise. The merge to one server will really show how this game is going to turn totally dead months/years after and there will be no other way to save it anymore.

You may or may not be right about how long the game will last, but then this server merge is just a symptom of that rather than the cause. In other words not merging means the game dies anyway. At least this way we can all huddle together should the end come.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    One thing you CAN do in the three weeks we have left with Alexina is, since, it is so dead right now, getting the titles for discovering the Irian Dungeons is a heluva lot easier that it will be on Erinn. Sure, it ain't much but it's something!

Also for any Transformation Mastery users try to get Arc Lich Transformation before the merge. Before to many players would hunt him and I could never collect the Transformation. Recently I was able to kill him solo using rank 1 life drain.
  • MusicatMusicat
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
    edited March 25, 2022
    Cyrocco wrote: »
    I mean, I'm losing a name I've literally used for what- 13 years? To some stranger who probably doesn't even play anymore. On top of that, I'm losing all the notes from years of playing the game, that's a lot of sentimental experiences out the window and I don't even get to be known in game as the same thing.
    It's been stated that notes won't be wiped unless the character's name gets changed, so let's hope a miracle happens and your name is preserved.
    On the night of the first merge, some of us watched as Mari absorbed Ruairi first then Tarlach and then was renamed. We'll see.
    Mariota was a Milletian and made a rebirth into Nao.
    However, why is it thought to be so? The Meow supposed that either they were almost equal or Tarlach was "main-er".
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 25, 2022
    Musicat wrote: »
    Cyrocco wrote: »
    I mean, I'm losing a name I've literally used for what- 13 years? To some stranger who probably doesn't even play anymore. On top of that, I'm losing all the notes from years of playing the game, that's a lot of sentimental experiences out the window and I don't even get to be known in game as the same thing.
    It's been stated that notes won't be wiped unless the character's name gets changed, so let's hope a miracle happens and your name is preserved.

Welp, I'm screwed there; oh well.
    On the night of the first merge, some of us watched as Mari absorbed Ruairi first then Tarlach and then was renamed. We'll see.
    Mariota was a Milletian and made a rebirth into Nao.

That connexion was not lost on me when Nao was created.
    However, why is it thought to be so? The Meow supposed that either they were almost equal or Tarlach was "main-er".

I litterally just explained this in the previous point. A test you can do to find out which server absorbs which, I did this during the Nao merge, is to put the same item of clothing in the dressing room of a Nao and Alexina characters on the same account. Whichever is still there is the server that did the absorbing and the item not is the server that was absorbed.

It seems obvious to me that Nao will absorb Alexina and since Mari absorbed Ruairi and Tarlach then as they say in Black Speech:

Ash Mari durbatulûk,
    Ash Mari gimbatul,
    Ash Mari thrakatulûk
    Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
    Musicat
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    people fighting for AFK spots GO GO GO
  • MarsBarsFromTheStarsMarsBarsFromTheStars
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,000
    If there is lag they will add more channels. If you must be on channel 1, and only channel 1, all the time, well, then you're not gonna be happy.

I play on Channel 4, I only go on Channel 1 when I want to shop and I definitely don't stay there any longer than I have to.

Okay, if you're not then especially tied to a particular channel, then adding more channels will solve your concerns. The important thing to help ensure that is that when the merge happens to contact everyone, and their mother, to log in and if necessary just AFK so they have to add more channels. If you were active during Nao's first week you will remember that it was created with 7 channels and long dormant players logged in to have a gawk, and three days later they added 3 more channels.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not gonna fix it. I've been to nearly dead channels and had lag issues... And I'm sure someone's gonna say "Get a better computer", so I'ma stop you right there. I've known people with better technology that have had the same problems. Shouldn't need high end technology to run something like Mabi anyway. (As much as I love Mabi, it's true)
  • HelsaHelsa
    No, I'm pretty sure that's not gonna fix it. I've been to nearly dead channels and had lag issues... And I'm sure someone's gonna say "Get a better computer", so I'ma stop you right there. I've known people with better technology that have had the same problems. Shouldn't need high end technology to run something like Mabi anyway. (As much as I love Mabi, it's true)

If you get lag on dead channels, then that's an entirely different kettle of fish, and not something related to having or not having a merge.

I don't know if you're on WIFI or not but if you are, a cabled connexion to your router is faster and, for what it's worth, more secure. I assume you've also already gone through your 'start up' list for extraneous crap?

If you get lag on dead channels, then that's an entirely different kettle of fish, and not something related to having or not having a merge.

I don't know if you're on WIFI or not but if you are, a cabled connexion to your router is faster and, for what it's worth, more secure. I assume you've also already gone through your 'start up' list for extraneous crap?

I'm very well aware of my internet issues, but merging definitely won't help anything. More people = more lag. That's the point I'm trying to make. I can live with a little bit of lag, but not the lag this will bring.
  • HelsaHelsa

I'm very well aware of my internet issues, but merging definitely won't help anything. More people = more lag. That's the point I'm trying to make. I can live with a little bit of lag, but not the lag this will bring.

I understand what you're saying but what I'm saying is unless we're talking about lag on a particular channel, typically channel 1 as it is the shopping channel on both servers, general lag is addressed with by adding channels. You said yourself that you avoid channel 1, so that kind of lag won't be anything new for you. While there may be additional general lag right after the merge as there was with Nao they will add channels and that will address it. If you get lag even now, even on dead channels, then that has nothing to do with how the player-base is forcibly distributed. Merge or non-merge has nothing to do with your lag problems.

I understand what you're saying but what I'm saying is unless we're talking about lag on a particular channel, typically channel 1 as it is the shopping channel on both servers, general lag is addressed with by adding channels. You said yourself that you avoid channel 1, so that kind of lag won't be anything new for you. While there may be additional general lag right after the merge as there was with Nao they will add channels and that will address it. If you get lag even now, even on dead channels, then that has nothing to do with how the player-base is forcibly distributed. Merge or non-merge has nothing to do with your lag problems.

Oh boy, this isn't going anywhere. I understand that they will add more channels, but you never know which channels are gonna get filled if more people flood in. Maybe there will be a channel that's not so crowded, sure, but the more people that come in, the more people to fill up different channels. I never denied my internet being a problem and even said I can live with a little bit of lag, but the more people that show up, the worse it gets. I don't mind being in channels that are kinda dead because of less lag, but who knows how many people will occupy a channel at any given time. I've been in dead channels that suddenly came to life. Just because a channel is dead, doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Anyway, I'm done beating a dead horse. Have a good one! :3
  • HelsaHelsa

Oh boy, this isn't going anywhere. I understand that they will add more channels, but you never know which channels are gonna get filled if more people flood in. Maybe there will be a channel that's not so crowded, sure, but the more people that come in, the more people to fill up different channels. I never denied my internet being a problem and even said I can live with a little bit of lag, but the more people that show up, the worse it gets. I don't mind being in channels that are kinda dead because of less lag, but who knows how many people will occupy a channel at any given time. I've been in dead channels that suddenly came to life. Just because a channel is dead, doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Anyway, I'm done beating a dead horse. Have a good one! :3

That's what I meant about per channel lag. The easiest way to tell if a channel is "bad" is if it's laggy. If it's laggy you move to another channel. If they are ALL laggy, then they are all laggy for everyone. If they are all laggy for everyone then Nexon adds more channels. If they have to keep doing that then it means that more people are joining the game. If more people are joining the game then that's a good thing. But if a channel is laggy for you but not for someone else then that's not Nexon's or a merge's or lack of merge's fault.
  • ValyntValynt
    Mabinogi Rep: 920
    I hope they reconsider the name change issue. Character names should take precedence over pet names. Apparently there is pet named Valynt on Nao. So my understanding of how the planned naming would work would mean that the character I play on Alexina would then be named Valynt+Alexina, while the pet on Nao will be remain being called Valynt. In my opinion, characters should retain their names before pets.

I understand no one will be happy with name changes, however I would think you would want to keep the names of active players while changing the names of pets and players who have not logged in in a significant amount of time.

In my situation my guild contains part of my characters name so it would be strange to have a guild owned by pet ... Valynthearts.
    MusicatSherri

That's what I meant about per channel lag. The easiest way to tell if a channel is "bad" is if it's laggy. If it's laggy you move to another channel. If they are ALL laggy, then they are all laggy for everyone. If they are all laggy for everyone then Nexon adds more channels. If they have to keep doing that then it means that more people are joining the game. If more people are joining the game then that's a good thing. But if a channel is laggy for you but not for someone else then that's not Nexon's or a merge's or lack of merge's fault.

Hmm, it's almost like having separate servers for people to use would stop some of the lag. Like it would stop one server from getting too full of people. What a concept. They can keep making separate channels if they want, but that just seems like more work on them. I stand by my argument as I'm sure you'll stand by yours. They should just leave well enough alone.