Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

2009 Player returning... What have i missed? WTD?

NeruNeru
Mabinogi Rep: 310
edited March 31, 2022 in General Chat
Hey so i recently found my old account that really never got anywhere and wanted to start fresh, is there something I should be doing?
Do I work towards a goal or just go with the flow? Is the game dead? What can i expect as a veteran coming back?? Really curious because this game still holds a place in my heart and i met a lot of cool people who i still talk to once in a while!

Gimme the deets, Spill the tea, hand over the info,
What should I do?
Karast

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    The game is not dead, the forums nearly are because everyone prefers reddit and discord these days. I would go with the flow and do the Blaanid quests.
  • VimaVima
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    edited March 31, 2022
    One of the Blaanid quests are currently unable to be completed due to a glitch that crashes you when using the exploration quest board, I would suggest taking this opportunity to play a game that has bugs like this fixed in a reasonable timeframe (3 weeks is unacceptable)
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Neru wrote: »
    Hey so i recently found my old account that really never got anywhere and wanted to start fresh, is there something I should be doing?
    Do I work towards a goal or just go with the flow? Is the game dead? What can i expect as a veteran coming back?? Really curious because this game still holds a place in my heart and i met a lot of cool people who i still talk to once in a while!

What should I do?

Too much to say. Read through the forums, it's not like you're the first person to ask this. Join a guild, they can catch you up.
  • VimaVima
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    Helsa wrote: »

What should I do?

Too much to say. Read through the forums, it's not like you're the first person to ask this. Join a guild, they can catch you up.

There honestly isn't alot to say though. The game's toxicity is the equivelent of cyanide gas, any longer than a few seconds and you will find yourself dead to everything that matters and enslaved in a never-ending cycle of wanting to get away from this game and the gambling addiction it's multi-layered gacha systems expose you to and latch into you. Much like parasitic heartworms killing a dog, the dog being you. Take that HeartguardPlus and get out before it's too late.
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,075
    Welcome back! As for working towards goals, do what Crimson suggested, and start with the new Blaanid questline. You should meet her in Tir once the owl gives you her starting quest, she's kind of an extended tutorial and will also give you gear that puts you on par with the Celtic sets!

And the Mabi Official Discord is the best media platform to connect with people outside of the game.

Also, we're getting a second server merge, so you can expect even more activity in-game soon! I don't think the game is dying at all, it's usually slow during spring & fall school seasons. The merge + summer coming up will make it really lively soon! Perhaps I'll get a chance to run into you in game~

I hope you have fun now that you're back! <3
  • PectylPectyl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    edited April 3, 2022

What should I do?

Depending on how far you got if it isn't much your far better off starting over as the beginning nowadays has far many benefits compared to how it was back in 2009.
    I would suggest doing a bit of reading around the internet about what you missed and what to do and joining a Mabinogi Discord group (If you use Discord), I would also suggest you wait before playing again until the server merge has happened as that will not only help make the game feel like it used to back then (at least for a while) and reinvigorate the market, player activity, guild activity and so on.

As for the game being dead or not depends on your definition of dead, yes the game is dying, if you played just 5-6 years ago you would see the difference in active players compared to today and the forums are much less utilized today compared to the old forum that got replaced.
    However it's not as bad as it may seem and all older free to play mmorpgs go though this process in varying degrees.

As for what you missed? there is no reasonable way someone would be able to list all the major changes from 2009 to 2022, it's just not realistic and your better off pretending your new in case you didn't get far into the game back then.

As for what to do, as others in this thread have already mentioned, your priority in the beginning is to go through Blaanid, but you could also mix in some story quests so you don't get burned out of doing one thing only.
  • KarastKarast
    Mabinogi Rep: 110
    Hi Neru,

I am in the same boat as you. I started playing around G3-G4 and played for a solid 2-3 years and then left for a long time and came back. My first piece of advice to anyone who is coming back after a decade or more, find a guild. Its hard to find one worth your while but if you truly love gaming and find pleasure in this one the right guild will come to you. After that, enjoy the ride because in my experience the right gaming friends will be more than happy and excited to take you all around and show you the important, fun stuff this game has to offer. There is no good or bad point to start off with. As for me, I know where I left off so I pick it up from there. I have to say though without my guild I would be lost. Its always nice having a family to come back to. As for anyone else reading this or who might come across this post I am always looking for new friends. Feel free to add me in-game. Happy Playing!

Karast