Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Together in Erinn

Comments

• ShakayaShakaya
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,075
    Helsa wrote: »
    Shakaya wrote: »
    I'm glad another merge is happening! I'm happy to make more new friends again!

And I hope Nexon can come up with a fair name solution for everyone, even if it's patched in later. I really wouldn't mind if my pets got +Nao tags on them. I kept the +Tarlach tag on the pets that got it. People's mains should be taking first priority.

Anyways, I just wanted to say welcome to Alexinans that get to come join us now! I'm excited to meet you in-game! :D

Awesome, and that's very kind of you to offer. I know @Valynt, whom posted earlier in the thread, would be appreciative of the sentiment. Unfortunately, Nexon has already announced the order of priority, so changing it after-the-fact might be politically difficult.

Anyway, if you want to meet me, I'll be found at the Pokeodrome, or as they say on Nao, Poikodrome.

I'm not sure what Poikodrome is, but I usually hang out on the Tarlach channel (Ch7). On merge day I'll be in Dunby hopping between that channel and shopping channel to see who I can chat with. :D
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380

And I hope Nexon can come up with a fair name solution for everyone, even if it's patched in later. I really wouldn't mind if my pets got +Nao tags on them. I kept the +Tarlach tag on the pets that got it. People's mains should be taking first priority.

Anyways, I just wanted to say welcome to Alexinans that get to come join us now! I'm excited to meet you in-game! :D

Awesome, and that's very kind of you to offer. I know @Valynt, whom posted earlier in the thread, would be appreciative of the sentiment. Unfortunately, Nexon has already announced the order of priority, so changing it after-the-fact might be politically difficult.

Anyway, if you want to meet me, I'll be found at the Pokeodrome, or as they say on Nao, Poikodrome.

I'm not sure what Poikodrome is, but I usually hang out on the Tarlach channel (Ch7). On merge day I'll be in Dunby hopping between that channel and shopping channel to see who I can chat with. :D

A Tarlachite! That explains part of the origins of your feelings of kinship with Alexinans. Apparently, before the first merge, there was some kind relationship or dialogue between Tarlach and Alexina.

I can recall, for the first month-or-so after the first merge, that channel 7 was the second most active on Nao; of course it must've been Tarlachites. In that sense, Tarlach lived a bit longer, as an identifiable separate entity. When the pull of channel 1 became too great and channel 7 became just another channel, it was kinda sad, I must say, like seeing a heritage building meet the wrecking-ball

A Pokeodrome is where one does poking: on Nao referred to as poiking; to those outside our community: jousting. On merge day I will also be on the Dunby map, since I am a guild leader, but only for as long as I need to be.
    Shakaya
  • ShakayaShakaya

A Tarlachite! That explains part of the origins of your feelings of kinship with Alexinans. Apparently, before the first merge, there was some kind relationship or dialogue between Tarlach and Alexina.

I can recall, for the first month-or-so after the first merge, that channel 7 was the second most active on Nao; of course it must've been Tarlachites. In that sense, Tarlach lived a bit longer, as an identifiable separate entity. When the pull of channel 1 became too great and channel 7 became just another channel, it was kinda sad, I must say, like seeing a heritage building meet the wrecking-ball

A Pokeodrome is where one does poking: on Nao referred to as poiking; to those outside our community: jousting. On merge day I will also be on the Dunby map, since I am a guild leader, but only for as long as I need to be.

Ohh the jousting :D

And yea Ch7 was our shopping channel and even though it's not as busy as it was right after the first merge, I tend to run into familiar faces more often on that Ch so I made it my homech~

And I hope everyone can have good kinship! We're all getting squished together whether we like it or not now, so might as well make the most of it!
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited April 3, 2022
    Although it will be nearly impossible to get anything better than anecdotal evidence, it'll be interesting to see how many Naowegians, that left characters behind on Alexina, return to them, if any.
  • DevotionDevotion
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,395
    edited April 3, 2022

Interestingly, the ch. 7 you speak fondly of was Tarlach's drama channel for the Bliss Guild mainly. The shopping channel started as channel 1 (no surprise) and when a major crash happened it simply switched to channel 2 for a long time (for most of Tarlach's high activity years actually). I believe as more crashes occurred over the years it jumped to another one or two channels (maybe 5 or 4) before channel 7 became the official market channel--probably because it was the last channel and players were tired of losing items in channel crashes--during the inactive years of Tarlach's life.

But, as I said, ch. 7 was a channel most players avoided until the Bliss Guild died. Therefore, we of Tarlach server don't exactly have a strong commitment to any particular channel and would easily switch to the safest market channel (whatever that channel happens to be).

The strong ties between Alexina and Tarlach? That's probably due to many big name Alexina players being former Tarlach players. I remember when Alexina came out and I made an alt on Alexina. At that time, almost everyone in the Alexina server recognized me :d
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited April 3, 2022
    Devotion wrote: »

Interestingly, the ch. 7 you speak fondly of was Tarlach's drama channel for the Bliss Guild mainly. The shopping channel started as channel 1 (no surprise) and when a major crash happened it simply switched to channel 2 for a long time (for most of Tarlach's high activity years actually). I believe as more crashes occurred over the years it jumped to another one or two channels (maybe 5 or 4) before channel 7 became the official market channel--probably because it was the last channel and players were tired of losing items in channel crashes--during the inactive years of Tarlach's life.

But, as I said, ch. 7 was a channel most players avoided until the Bliss Guild died. Therefore, we of Tarlach server don't exactly have a strong commitment to any particular channel and would easily switch to the safest market channel (whatever that channel happens to be).

The strong ties between Alexina and Tarlach? That's probably due to many big name Alexina players being former Tarlach players. I remember when Alexina came out and I made an alt on Alexina. At that time, almost everyone in the Alexina server recognized me :d

Thanks for clearing that up. Years ago I made a second account and made characters on each of the three servers that presently constitute Nao. It was to check out the jousting situation on each of the grand old servers. I remember when I first landed on Tarlach and checked out the channels, I was like, "channel 7?". I'd always wondered about that.

I can understand avoiding channel 7 as the market channel since most folks only go to the market channel if they need to and for only as long as they need to. Whether its a 7 or a 1 makes no difference; people are people.

My understanding is that the dialogue involved the PvP community, at least according to this post:
    Mahaous wrote: »
    order goes like this alexina > tarlach > mari > ruairi

I don't do, so I don't know PvP, so in my ignorance I kinda figured the 4th choice would run away with it. So what is it about each of the servers that puts them in different rankings?

Alexina (Duelist not EVG'er) always approach tarlach server to duel us, and their combos/mechanic is just so much better than us plebs in tarlach, so many of the tarlachian (but not including me) went over to learn from them. And for the current Nao server~Mari duelist are just "memes" no offense, it just the "good mari duelist" aren't around to duel anymore, and we can only take what's present into consideration, we can't say > ABCD is good because he did XXXX in the past.
    Ruairi duelist are literally nonexistant.

FYI, the thread that came from is here.
  • DevotionDevotion
    edited April 3, 2022

FYI, the thread that came from is here.

PvP is exactly the dialogue I was referring to because I went on Alexina to duel new players (and to test players in the arenas) and instead I found all the top duelers to just be former Tarlach players :d

I was a major Tarlach PvPer myself and sadly those duelers on Alexina weren't able to win ^^;;;. However, I did quit for many years and haven't dueled since the combat revamp, so it is possible actual, new Alexina-players (and not Tarlach alts/restarters) may have become more skillful than Tarlach players in the new combat system over the years. Looking at the thread you linked, this is from 2019, and this means any skill advantage of Alexina might just be because all the original servers (and therefore the dueling/pvp scenes) were dead at the time. Returning duelers during the first merge could have easily been rusty or inexperienced with the new combat system.

Now that Alexina is in a similar circumstance of low activity (compared to Nao), I wonder if the Nao duelers hold the skill advantage once again :d

• DevotionDevotion
    edited April 3, 2022
    As a long-term player, these were my views of the original servers:
    Mari- Best in PvE and Fashionogi (also, had the nicest players on Mabi). Maybe, Goodmorning ruled this server?.
    Ruairi- Known only for Hacking and Cheating lol. Martyr Guild ruled this server.
    Tarlach- PvPer Server and Community Fair Server (Tarlach Fair from Spooklee). Dreams Guild ruled PvE and PvP. Also, Had Bliss Guild trolls.
    Alexina- Alts and Restarters from the original servers.

When I returned some years ago (prior to first merge)--besides being low population--the changes in my views were these:
    Tarlach- I found the PvP scene dead, Dreams and Bliss Guilds dead (old Dreams-rival Visions Guild started ruling apparently).
    Ruairi- was still thought of as the same (Martyr guild died, but the hacker stigma never did).
    Mari- no change.
    Alexina- Now the top PvE, PvP, and Drama-filled server around lol

Today, these are my views:
    Nao: Now the top PvE (possibly PvP too) and Friendliest server around :d
    Alexina: Known for some Jousting. Has pity from Nao for being the new dying server, but still holds some stigma from some players for old drama. I believe the Alexina right now is full of friendly players who are excited for the merge :d
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited April 3, 2022
    Mari- Best in PvE and Fashionogi (also, had the nicest players on Mabi). Maybe, Goodmorning ruled this server?.
    Ruairi- Known only for Hacking and Cheating lol. Martyr Guild ruled this server.
    Tarlach- PvPer Server and Community Fair Server (Tarlach Fair from Spooklee). Dreams Guild ruled PvE and PvP. Also, Had Bliss Guild trolls.

When I returned some years ago (prior to first merge)--besides being low population--the changes in my views were these:
    Tarlach- I found the PvP scene dead, Dreams and Bliss Guilds dead (old Dreams-rival Visions Guild started ruling apparently).
    Ruairi- was still thought of as the same (Martyr guild died, but the hacker stigma never did).
    Mari- no change.

Alexina: Known for some Jousting. Has pity from Nao for being the new dying server, but still holds some stigma from some players for old drama. I believe the Alexina right now is full of friendly players who are excited for the merge :d

Interesting. I've never been into PvP but I know a few folks that are either PvPers or PvP Fans and I go by what they say, true or not. My guess is that Nao would be best at PvP. Since, all the PvPers on Alexina, whether originals or not would have moved where the action is. Remember when they first fired up Nao, there was an event that let folks, via blaanid, gain ridiculous levels. Our favorite forum troll Pan for example gained 50k levels in 2 hours, via blaanid and a huge store of rebirth potions, or so they claim anyway. So that would have allowed, folks to get competitive Avatars in short order.

The old combat system was very much different. So, I'll take you at your word that under those conditions that the Tarlach community figured out how to PvP first. With such a reputation that would explain why, after the combat system changed, that Alexina PvPers contacted Tarlach to test their mettle? Since, folks from the three servers started again on Alexina, maybe that created a development ground where different approaches were put under the test and refined, kinda like how Bruce Lee took what worked from various combat styles. Maybe the result gave those Alexina PvPers the courage to contact the Tarlach ones?

As for jousting, I must say Nao has come a long way in these past three years. When the first true world final occurs in two weeks, I would favour Alexina to win but could not guarantee it. It's not the Alexina jousters will have some tricks up their sleeves or anything like that, they're just less likely to make mistakes, or panic.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited April 7, 2022
    Late to the party.

To be honest, the one thing that surprises me is that they were willing to completely shut down character creation for the entire game for a month. That was the one thing that made me think the merge would never happen.

But here we are.

I'm neutral about the merge itself. What worries me is closing the game to all new players for a month. While I don't think the game is "dying", I feel like that's kind of dangerous to a "small" game like this.

Then again, it seems to be more active than a lot of other games I used to play. I suppose we will see.

(Also, Ouch....my main's name (Polychrome) was taken by a pet of all things.)
    Musicat
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    1 week until the game becomes literally unplayable. Imagine like 3 server wide population trying to do raids with only 10 channels lmao.
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
    edited April 13, 2022
    Content removed

You can't expect to get an answer from the developers if you're going to act like a salty child and talk to them like that. Also, if you had taken the time to read over their webpost, you'd see that they've addressed the issue with names for everyone but Alexina players.

As we felt it was crucial to reduce the impact to Nao characters, who have already been through a merge previously, certain restrictions will only affect Alexina characters. For example, duplicate character names across servers will only be changed for Alexina characters to “Name+Alexina” and Nao character names will not be changed.
  • ShakayaShakaya

Oh I didn't use Ch 7 when we were still the Tarlach server, but post-merge there were tons of Tarlachians all over Ch 7 on Nao. I run into old friends and guild allies on Ch 7 more than anywhere else, and any drama peeps are on Nao's shopping channel now. There's not as many Tarlach friends on Ch7 as there was right after the first merge, but we're still there. C:

And yea our old server's shopping ch got moved around a ton of times 'cuz of crashes and mobs breaking, and the whole community just moved the shopping ch every time it happened. We had settled on Ch7 when Nexon finally fixed that issue and we didn't have ch breaks frequently anymore. :D
  • KatherzKatherz
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited April 11, 2022
    oh boy... Alexina players are gonna be fuming o_o
    judging from what i've read i assume Alexina is the one who will be absorbed...?

i felt the need to put my replies to quotes in spoilers to make it look nicer, had plenty of brainfarts making it though, more than i thought i would... not sure if its because i've been on and off the forums or if im just genuinely losing it
    Something that would benefit a lot of players (Nao and Alexina alike) in this upcoming server merge is the separation of pet and character igns. I always thought it was a weird system that pets and characters share the same naming system. I believe if they could somehow delete all pet names and allow you to rename your pets on a separate system it would help all Mabinogi players.

That's because in code they're basically all the same kind of objects. Their records will have a 'secret' field that identifies what specific type they are: Player Character, Non-Player Character (this includes signs, dungeon alters, and possibly all props), player pets (this includes regular pets, partners, and temporary pets like puppets, golems, and tamed mobs) and Non-Player Pets (this includes monsters, those horses and ostriches that you can ride on the G4 map and the jousting horses). When they originally designed the records for these objects they pooched the design so that their name and server of residence had to be a unique combination when it needn't have been that way. This was bad design and everyone involved in development dropped the ball there. It can be fixed. It'll take work though but fortunately Nexon has a whole great big building full of software development teams and the actual source code and everything. They need to fix things so that the implementation is what it should have been from the get-go. That it wasn't has nothing to do with something like the state of hardware at the time or any such notion, they just plain eft up.

i am really hoping this is the next big step for the game, i still have pets and partners who have the +Mari tag on them.. especially the partners, i feel so bad for them...
    Can we also get the servers to move from Oregon to somewhere more convenient for the rest of the playerbase like east side of america NY,boston,new jersey for better ping in eu,canada,england and such

You know I have had the same thoughts myself. If you look at a map of the world, fully one half, one entire side of it is water. Nexon NA servers are all on the edge of that water and the timings of things are set to be convenient to where they are located. Let's address the elephant in the room, Nexon NA is really Nexon World (except SK, JP, TW, HK, and CN), yet it continues to act as though it is Nexon CA (California, not Canada). Moving shop to eastern time would make things 3 hours more convenient for, literally, everyone else. If 'shop' however must remain in North America, we can do one hour better. Rather than, say, Boston, set up shop in Halifax, Canada. It's on Atlantic Time, that's one hour sooner than Eastern. The city has the infrastructure to host Nexon's needs and would likely be keen enough to have Nexon to offer tax incentives. Doing so, ironically I suppose, WOULD make it Nexon CA after all. :)

i might be in the minority with this one but i probably wouldnt like the change, i'm so used to PST, its so much easier when everything is 3 hours behind me.. and please for the love of ALL THINGS HOLY, ANYTHING BUT UTC :(

Mari- no change.

as a former Marian, you're pretty much right. Goodmorning is still around, im personally in Juice though (i'm actually not sure where Juice originated, i never thought about asking.. hmmm)

also, 1000% agreed with having character names before pet names, i'm willing to give up a name of a pet for someone if they have the same name as an alt (even Gensokyo... and i was so ecstatic to see it wasnt taken on Nao...)
  • HelsaHelsa
    Sherri wrote: »
    oh boy... Alexina players are gonna be fuming o_o
    judging from what i've read i assume Alexina is the one who will be absorbed...?

Yes, the Alexina partition will be absorbed into the Nao partition then they'll rename Nao. You always start with the biggest partition to lessen the workload. During the first merge Mari was the biggest of the original three. So, basically, Erinn=Mari.

The character/pet/partner/homestead record numbers will be like this:
    - Mari same as their original ones,
    - Ruairi the highest Mari number plus their original one,
    - Tarlach, Mari and Ruairi plus their original one,
    - Natural Naowegians start counting from Mari plus Ruairi plus Tarlach,
    - Alexina, the original three plus natural Nao plus their original number.
    - Erinn after all this.
    i am really hoping this is the next big step for the game, i still have pets and partners who have the +Mari tag on them.. especially the partners, i feel so bad for them...

Imma start beaching about it after the merge.
    i might be in the minority with this one but i probably wouldnt like the change, i'm so used to PST, its so much easier when everything is 3 hours behind me.. and please for the love of ALL THINGS HOLY, ANYTHING BUT UTC :(

Nah, it'd be okay. If things were rescheduled to Atlantic Time, rather than, say, the banquet being at 10P Eastern it'd be at 6P Eastern instead, and in Europe, instead of 3A, it'd be 11P. That's not too great a change for Americans but it would be very much welcome by our European community.
    also, 1000% agreed with having character names before pet names, i'm willing to give up a name of a pet for someone if they have the same name as an alt (even Gensokyo... and i was so ecstatic to see it wasnt taken on Nao...)

That's very kind of you to offer.

• MusicatMusicat
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
    edited April 14, 2022
    Policroma wrote: »
    (Also, Ouch....my main's name (Polychrome) was taken by a pet of all things.)
    And The Meow thinks it is actually used by a monochrome pet. Not sure.
    It's not likely to happen, because of the geography at least. But it would be a nice change for european players who attend evening activities.
    as a former Marian, you're pretty much right. Goodmorning is still around, im personally in Juice though (i'm actually not sure where Juice originated, i never thought about asking.. hmmm)
    It seems to be a well-known guild, but The Meow never really saw *any* players from that guild, let alone felt like they were ruling, either on Mari or on Nao. The only thing about it he ran across was the guild stone near Dunbarton. On all the channels The Meow has been to Toyshoppe is the only guild whose players he has met more often than not. Not sure whether they're still active or even if it's formed from players from other guilds.
    The Meow thought it would be fun to have his pet get the name Chiny+Mari+Nao, but that's technically impossible, unfortunately.
    Nah, it'd be okay. If things were rescheduled to Atlantic Time, rather than, say, the banquet being at 10P Eastern it'd be at 6P Eastern instead, and in Europe, instead of 3A, it'd be 11P.
    It would be 1-4AM instead of 5-8AM in Europe that way.

Also, The Meow thinks that it's not fair to remove Alexina's wedding rings and meet-cute and rose couple's bracelets. While the bracelets' removal is going to be compensated, those who lose their wedding rings get nothing. It's nice to see that they're offering an additional service for tag removal which will allow Alexina players to recover their characters' names in case they own the corresponding character on the other server of if the name on Nao is used by an inactive character. The terms to deem a character inactive are fair, however they're still quite long.
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
    edited April 15, 2022
    Content removed

This is a server merge for an MMORPG, not some broadway show. You can tone down with the dramatics. Regardless of whether there is one, two, or even ten servers, they can address these "real problems" at any time. Merging the servers does nothing to affect the game's lifespan. If anything, it only highlights the dwindling size of the playerbase.

If they take the time to address the only "real" problem that exists; that is, the dwindling playerbase and lack of advertising for the game, then there is a possibility that the playerbase could increase in size again. If we wanted to consider wishful thinking, maybe it could increase so much so that they would have to add a new server later on, just as they seemingly had to do so many years ago when they added Alexina.

My point in saying this is that the servers merging didn't speed up anything. It means nothing, and you're being overdramatic, so maybe settle down and take the positives out of this while you can. The other servers merging into Nao brought nothing but good things for those servers from everything I had heard since it happened, so I don't see why it wouldn't be similar here- And I say this as someone who frequently opposed the idea of a server merge in the first place.

Honestly... The doomsayers get more and more annoying with every year that passes.
    SherriKeichirocourtneyy
  • ViciFlameViciFlame
    Mabinogi Rep: 720
    ViciFlame wrote: »
    May I suggest implementation of last/family names so first names can be kept?

What do you mean by this? Adding last names help add a unique identifiers. Other mmos do it and it works just fine.
    Sherri
  • KeichiroKeichiro
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    edited April 14, 2022
    I'd be 100% for separating character names from pet/partner names. Letting characters have surnames would also be amazing. Why are these not a thing yet? I'd actually buy a name change for my main if it meant his name could finally look like an actual name...