Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Elf and Giant Marriage + Shoulder Rides

KhmiKhmi
Mabinogi Rep: 730
edited April 25, 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions
I know I'm not the only one here who thinks it's a long passed overdue update. Long we have had to live with the prejudices of our forefathers, but no more! I propose that elves and giants should be allowed to marry, and have shoulder rides. Especially considering they've already illustrated that the possiblility exists as shown here.
3cA6PoY.png

Please don't let this intolerance continue. We're all here on Erinn together, and should be able to love who we love! ♥
SherriVeebatMykahElris
  1. Should elves and giants be able to marry and have shoulder rides with eachother?10 votes
    1. Yis, share the love!
       100% (10 votes)
    2. No, our ancestors were right!
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    When G14 was announced, I figured E/G marriage was coming, but nope. This has been asked for, for a long time. It's more complicated to implement than would seem, which is probably why it still hasn't, but it's only just work to do so.

Is that drawing from an official Nexon artist, or a contest drawing that a fan might've snuck past a Nexon employee?
    Khmi
  • KhmiKhmi
    As far as I can tell it's official. you can find it in the Mabinogi wallpapers section. I use it as a phone background lol.

As far as being tricky to impliment, I totally believe that but I've seen so many updates that seem so much more complicated, and I just don't want to choose between being an elf, and getting shoulder rides! ;-;
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    I mean... why would you be an elf in the first place?
  • KhmiKhmi
    ThePravin wrote: »

I got that need for speed!
  • HelsaHelsa
    Khmi wrote: »

2d7PHSe.jpeg
    Khmi
  • ThePravinThePravin

Then why would you want to ride on a giant?
  • KhmiKhmi

Then why would you want to ride on a giant?

Because giant rides are one of the most fun social aspects of this game and I don't want to forever miss out on it. As far as speed I really only NEED my speed during content.

Now one could play on a human every time they want to ride on a giant, but I'm very forgetful always end up forgetting stuff on my human so there's just too much back and forth it gets so annoying.

Think about it tho, how many times have the giants and elves worked together, and how many times have us milletians saved the world? Yet we still can't just marry whoever we want? It's G25 guys, we need to get WOKE lol
    Elris
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Well the marriage thing (and rides probably) is do to the age of the code. The effort and risk involved with changing it is just to much.

With marriage it's because rather than making it that elfs and giants can't marry they made to where elfs and giants have to marry in their home cities.

It's this kind of round about coding that gets you spaghetti.
  • HelsaHelsa
    ... With marriage it's because rather than making it that elfs and giants can't marry they made to where elfs and giants have to marry in their home cities. ...

That's one of the things I was alluding to earlier when I said that this is more complicated than it would seem. Another is choosing alignment. As I recall, alignment applies to the account not just the individual character. Meaning they either make alignment more complicated in code or ditch it. The war being over, they can now. If they ditch it then EvG has to be ditched; recall that differently allied humans can fight each other under EvG. This might or might not have reaching effects on PvP itself.

The thing is E/G marriage is wanted by the player base. The arguments against are concerns about bugs. Valid, to be sure but software companies only do two things: write new code and fix old code. In the end it's just work, so they do the work.

The result of fixing marriage venue could mean any marriage could choose any of the three venues: Emain Macha for a traditional "Western" (I mean culturally as opposed to cowboys) style wedding. Filia for an "Eastern" style wedding, and Vales for a "Military" style wedding.

As I understand it PvP in Mabi is simple, agree to it, set damage temperament, and go; that's it. Furthermore I understand that PvP involves a lot of "house rules" like some skills banned no spamming of the same skill and so on. I'd like for them to ditch EvG and alignment, and ditch PvDK, and overhaul the PvP system, making the setup interface more elaborate including controls to enable those same "house rules". Allow anyone to fight in the PvDk arena and give incentives to do so. As for EvG just have a setting to that can be set to always be "on" to other players that are also set to "on" like EvG does and you're done with that.

It'd make a nice core to an update: marriage/PvP update. Marriage as a QoL thing while PvP could keep the game challenging for those interested in PvP. Long term survival of a game I think could be benefitted by players directly competing with each other, whether PvP or mini-games. Such contests have the scaling challenge automatically built in to them, to maintain interest, because players improve with it. Think of first person shooters. Most of their improvements are just quality of graphics, but in the middle of a death match are you really taking time to appreciate how accurate a waterfall is? The point is they've been the same game for decades really, and the core of why they remain popular is because it's people versus people. Mabi needs to put more effort into that. Sure some folks don't like PvP but there are mini-games for that. For example, there's an active jousting community in Mab. For the long time veterans it isn't about the prizes, it's about the challenge of facing another competent competitor.

But I digress. Yes, implementing E/G marriage is work but so is most everything else. They just need to do the work. The final point that I'd like to make here is that they will HAVE to implement E/G marriage first if they ever want to implement, selective player race at rebirth, as it now exists with gender. Hm? Marriage/PvP/Change Race update! I like the sound of that!
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    it's long overdue, we should definitely be able to have these options now

many reasons pop in my head, walking speed, archery damage, the very few magic improvements we get, adorable ears...
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    If the venue is the issue, why not just set up a new one somewhere neutral, like Cor Village or Quilla Base Camp?
  • HelsaHelsa
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    If the venue is the issue, why not just set up a new one somewhere neutral, like Cor Village or Quilla Base Camp?

That could be done; why not? What I suggested though would give some choice. Or they could have more than three venues.
  • VeebatVeebat
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,495
    Well the marriage thing (and rides probably) is do to the age of the code. The effort and risk involved with changing it is just to much.

With marriage it's because rather than making it that elfs and giants can't marry they made to where elfs and giants have to marry in their home cities.

Without bringing attention to any unnecessary topics, this has actually been pulled off in test servers / emulators. It's entirely possible without breaking the game, Nexon just needs to implement it. I'm sure it's not that hard.
  • VeebatVeebat
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,495
    I for one, am all for the idea of Elf / Giant Marriage. Regardless of lore reasons, our characters are Milletians. to a certain extent, we are exempt from the politics of the Elf / Giant feud due to the storyline. Elves / Giants being able to marry each other is a very important social feature IMO, restricting this could, quite literally, affect how some new players choose what race they play. Nobody should have to feel a restriction like that just because they want to play with their partner. In recent Generations, it is even shown that Elves/Giants are very capable of getting along. It's clear that Bhatair and Murielle very much care for eachothers well-being and safety. And even NPCs in older generations like Atrata and Taunes, who were very much in love, are not allowed to be together still.

I propose that we add a new area outside of Filia/Vales that supports the unification of Elves and Giants, a place free of the prejudice of the rest of the Continents, where players can get married freely. This could be supported with the addition of a side story.

Sherri
  • HelsaHelsa
    Lore is malleable. Irian war? Remember that? Was a thing now it ain't.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Veebat wrote: »

Without bringing attention to any unnecessary topics, this has actually been pulled off in test servers / emulators. It's entirely possible without breaking the game, Nexon just needs to implement it. I'm sure it's not that hard.

It may be the case that this could've been implemented, let's just say, "elsewhere" . Relatively easily you could make it happen, but the Devil's in the details. Afterwards, does stuff get broken? Let me be clear, I think Nexon should do this. I also think it will involve more work than your statement may imply, but my thought is: so what? Do the work.
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Helsa wrote: »
    The arguments against are concerns about bugs. Valid, to be sure but software companies only do two things: write new code and fix old code. In the end it's just work, so they do the work.

And what makes it breaks a company is utilizing time and resources wisely. Time spent on this is time not spent on something else.

• HelsaHelsa
    edited April 21, 2022
    Helsa wrote: »
    The arguments against are concerns about bugs. Valid, to be sure but software companies only do two things: write new code and fix old code. In the end it's just work, so they do the work.

And what makes it breaks a company is utilizing time and resources wisely. Time spent on this is time not spent on something else.

Sure, but if it's something that the community wants, and it is, then they decide what the effort required will be, decide what the benefit is, and then they assign a priority to it. I mean, it took time to make our characters blink, let elves have dark hair and skin, and allow for same-sex marriage in-game but they did it.
  • KhmiKhmi
    Sherri wrote: »
    many reasons pop in my head, walking speed, archery damage, the very few magic improvements we get, adorable ears...
    Plus I have Crazy Crafter, and Caracal/Friends on my elf. Too much investment to switch either way. I love being an elf, the only big con for me is this marriage issue.

I know it's been said here that this will be difficult, but if you think unrestricting these specific social features will really break them as a company, even though this is apparently a very popular game in KR, then that would signal that this isn't a game worth investing in, and without players wanting to invest money in their characters the company, and game will ultimately be broken anyways.

It may not be easy, but it's something that a lot have people have wanted since the beginning. I feel like it's finally time we stop living by the racist ideologies of the elite ruling class giants and elves, and start learning to love again!
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Not saying people don't want it. Saying that a feature that has little to no impact on most people's gameplay isn't all that important when you have things like a broken and an incompletable tutorial need to be addressed. Or error messages that are useless because the localization team was to busy to translate them. Quests that require the use of the wiki so to bugs or not actually explaining what needs to be done.