Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dunby-Cobh commerce runs

LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
in General Chat
Since the server merge, I've seen many players doing the Dunbarton-Cobh run back and forth in commerce (especially that first week). I have to ask, why are they doing this? Each run would be a loss in ducats and reward no gold or exp.

I can only think of two reasons. One, players are just going for the Erinn Adventure Journal points, and they don't really care about ducats or commerce. Hopefully, they are only transporting a single item at a time. Two, people are sabotaging the commerce system because... well, just because. Perhaps market manipulation. IDK.

So what's going on? I would have asked someone in game, but they all look so busy doing it[img][/img].

Comments

• MisanariaMisanaria
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    edited April 30, 2022
    LoomyOfPi wrote: »
    Since the server merge, I've seen many players doing the Dunbarton-Cobh run back and forth in commerce (especially that first week). I have to ask, why are they doing this? Each run would be a loss in ducats and reward no gold or exp.

I can only think of two reasons. One, players are just going for the Erinn Adventure Journal points, and they don't really care about ducats or commerce. Hopefully, they are only transporting a single item at a time. Two, people are sabotaging the commerce system because... well, just because. Perhaps market manipulation. IDK.

So what's going on? I would have asked someone in game, but they all look so busy doing it[img][/img].

I've also encountered several of these players. I do believe it's more on the easier clear of the commerce run requirements for the Erinn Adventure Journal.

Though yeah, the rates for the commerce goods are taking a hit.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Yeah it's because of the guild event. Little tip; only transport 1 item per trip, especially if you don't have a lot of ducats.
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Misanaria wrote: »
    I've also encountered several of these players. I do believe it's more on the easier clear of the commerce run requirements for the Erinn Adventure Journal.

Not to mention that the algorithm to calculate the market prices have always been suspect. This only makes things worse. The way things are now actually makes me less inclined to do commerce.

Crimsọn wrote: »
    Yeah it's because of the guild event. Little tip; only transport 1 item per trip, especially if you don't have a lot of ducats.

I suspect most players doing these quick runs are doing just so. As for me, I don't lose ducats on purpose. Oh, I've misread the board and gone to the wrong town and traded goods for a loss, but I don't set out with the intention to loose ducats.

• stormhammerstormhammer
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,465
    edited May 2, 2022
    cohb <-> dunby is moderately faster than emain -> dunby.
    Emain -> dunby might make you some ducats, dunby -> emain will make you nothing, but generally wont lose you any.
    But the kicker is that cohb <-> dunby is safe from bandits, more or less, so less time wasted.
    Thats really it, no market manipulation, unless 400 IQ moves are happening in the background.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    cohb <-> dunby is moderately faster than emain -> dunby.
    Emain -> dunby might make you some ducats, dunby -> emain will make you nothing, but generally wont lose you any.
    But the kicker is that cohb <-> dunby is safe from bandits, more or less, so less time wasted.

Safest run is Belfast<-->Cobh but, uh, m'yeah.
    Thats really it, no market manipulation, unless 400 IQ moves are happening in the background.

That's 20 Standard Deviations above the Mean; yikes!
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 2, 2022

Not to mention that the algorithm to calculate the market prices have always been suspect. This only makes things worse. The way things are now actually makes me less inclined to do commerce.

I suspect most players doing these quick runs are doing just so. As for me, I don't lose ducats on purpose. Oh, I've misread the board and gone to the wrong town and traded goods for a loss, but I don't set out with the intention to loose ducats.

Well some people are stupid. :)
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 3, 2022

And how! :)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Helsa wrote: »

VbX8l2H.png
  • HelsaHelsa
    Helsa wrote: »

VbX8l2H.png

1544940022796.png
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    While I'm not stupid enough to run full loads between Dunbarton and Cobh, I do enough stupid things through inattention I'm amazed that I haven't earned the title Master of Facepalm.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    While I'm not stupid enough to run full loads between Dunbarton and Cobh, I do enough stupid things through inattention I'm amazed that I haven't earned the title Master of Facepalm.

Custom titles when?
  • HelsaHelsa

<awaits reply from @Blissfulkill regarding the use of the words: master and palm.>
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    Reason why spammers/botters are both good and bad. Let's look at the bad. Beginning people of commerce cannot utilize Dunbarton because the lower tier products bring such a negative value. How is anyone able to rank Dunbarton and the other towns if they keep spamming low to mid tier.

The good is that there isn't enough people doing the commerce and this allows players who have already ranked up their towns to commerce and get the most out of it.

The logistics of being able to spam the lower tier commerce regardless for lower level is not out of the question as when you drop below a certain ducat....the NPC will give you a refresh of default total ducats, if memory serves me correctly. This helps when you lose all your ducats and you never start from scratch and they give you enough to get off your feet. This is what the botters/spammers are abusing which is unfortunate as it's supposed to help beginning players get accustom to that area.

It usually dies down, but since we are all aware of the upcoming update for Irias.....It'll be a while. Try to get into the pockets of profit while they rotate. I know it's frustrating, but it is still manageable to gain ducats via commerce. Just have to time things right.
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    asnscorpio wrote: »
    It usually dies down, but since we are all aware of the upcoming update for Irias.....It'll be a while. Try to get into the pockets of profit while they rotate. I know it's frustrating, but it is still manageable to gain ducats via commerce. Just have to time things right.

I actually enjoy commerce a bit. I completed the commerce entry for the advancement journal the way it was intended. It's easy, but takes time.

While I'm hoping they will rework the algorithm for Uladh, I've heard very little about changing the current system -- it's just that Iria will have its own and it will be different. And I believe the Belvast post is going to switch over to Iria's system. Fortunately, I am at least at rank 7 for each trading camp, so all goods are available to me, provided they are in stock. Making ducats isn't a problem for me.
  • HoldHold
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,480
    edited May 5, 2022
    Well there's several reasons why people choose to the Dunbarton <-> Cobh and some very good reasons at that.

1) Its slow
    Hey I like commerce as much as the next guy but what I don't like is needing to do it 100 times within a certain short event period especially when I have other daily tasks I need to complete to go along with it. Lately these events have been taking up more and more of my time that I end up wasting a whole day doing these event dailies. From when I get up to when I finish, the sun is already setting. Let's ignore all the other stuff I had planed to do. And you expect people to do these events "the way it was intended"? Come on. I know the game might gets boring for older players having nothing to do and all but this is getting too much. There has to be a better way than showering people with time consuming dailies that run for such a short amount of time.

2) The commerce market is already screwed, can't make it any worse then it already is.
    Nexon NA seems to be hellbent on not resetting the economy for whatever reason. Not even a merge wasn't enough to get them to reset it. So don't blame the players for making it worse. If they don't care then why should we?

And lastly, my post may sound a bit angry and that's because it is. Because this last point is the grand daddy of issues I and several other people have had with it.

3) YOUR CHARACTER FREEZES WHEN DOING COMMERCE
    THIS right here is why no one is doing commerce seriously. Ever since the merge me and several of my guild mates have had there character frozen in place when talking to the commerce npc, forcing them to have to exit out of the game and lose their ducats(if they didn't have VIP). I reported this issue and all I got that I need to send a video so I need to make a video every time I do commerce or baltane missions as I've have freezing there as well. What's even strange despite how common this bug has been since the merge is that no one here brought this up at all.

So when you put all this together. Yes, people are going to take the shorter route. Yes, people would rather waste single digit ducats in order to not lose their main ducats. And yes this game is buggy.

tl;dr
    Don't hate the player, hate the game but also don't hate the game hate Nexon.