Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

What are the unwritten rules of PvP?

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
in General Chat
I don't PvP, so please forgive my ignorance, but my understanding is that PvP involve laying ground rules first such as no spamming of a skill and some skills disallowed. What, specifically, are the unofficial rules in PvP?

Comments

• KitsuneanagiKitsuneanagi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    Yes and a lot of skills are banned too (like glyphwright, techs, chainblade, demigod, mana shield, potions, and to get close (final hit only) but that does not stop from using it in evg
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    My rules are; if you got it, use it.
    Complainers will be laughed at.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Crimsọn wrote: »

So, you would break ground rules after agreeing to them?
  • stormhammerstormhammer
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,465
    vagabond_271_3.jpg

The one and only sacred rule.
    If they stop moving, its windmill.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 17, 2022
    You cannot track another player in the real world and beat them up.
  • HelsaHelsa
    You cannot track another player in the real world and beat them up.

Ah, you fixed it; good! 'Off' was not quite the right word there. o.O
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    There used to be a set of rules back then and they were mostly involved in spamming tactics that would stunlock you, but after the combat update I feel like the rules are pointless if you at least bother to use everything in your arsenal.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    ♥ Imouto-Chan ! ♥ =D
    Julie wrote: »
    There used to be a set of rules back then and they were mostly involved in spamming tactics that would stunlock you, but after the combat update I feel like the rules are pointless if you at least bother to use everything in your arsenal.
    I never was interested in PvP unless it was an «ALL-OUT» fight (with pets inlcuded).
    For some reason, the players who actively did PvP expect no Final-Hit, no Potions, no Mana-Shield, and, all sorts of other «bad habits» that would always result in them being the first ones to get KO'd during difficult long dungeon-runs (well, before reaction-style combat turned into DPS everything with as much AoE as possible before they have a chance to hit you, anyway).

Semi-Off-Topic : I also think they should do away with Shadow-Mission Dailies and only make the Pet-Dungeon a Daily-Quest... repetitive «outdated» content is really more of a time-wasting «chore» anyway rather than funneling the population into content that had good/positive feed-back of what dungeons are supposed to be or at least much closer to what was considered well-designed or better-designed; it's just like web-pages, I learned from a super-successful entrepreneur in the past that a web-page loses readers, not because it is too long, but, because it's too boring; the same thing should apply to content that players choose to experience...
  • HelsaHelsa
    I have like 2 or 3 PvPs on my record. Each one of them was to use the Assault Slash reposte trick to glitch into inaccessible map areas. XD
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    Mabi is never intended for PvP. Before the Ninja update, I remembered that there was a PvP tournament held in Emain. An OFFICIAL one. Assuming Everything goes, I think who can land the first Ice Spear wins.

After the Ninja update, the shurikens just broke the system further. Then there's chain slash. If I recall, there hasn't been any PvP tournament afterwards.
    If Mabi wants PvP, the devs should take a page from WoW and put in PvP damage resilience and PvP related limitations.
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    In the early days of Mabi, PvP abounded. At least on the Tarlach server. Back then, using transformations, Final Hit, potions, and poisoned weapons were prohibited in duels, as was summoning pets, unless agreed to by both players. I'm not sure what they are today. I've wondered myself.

But I must tell a related tale from my sneaky side.

Before full recovery potions were a thing, I'd regularly do exploration quests and hold off completing them. When I would later get into trouble, I'd complete them to restore my health. Later, I'd go back, get my exploration close to leveling up, do another exploration quest, and wait until needed before I complete it.

Then it happened. My guild leader demanded that I duel her. She promised to go easy on me, but even then I knew she'd wipe the floor with me. It'd be a lot like a veteran player dueling a raccoon. I had no realistic chance in a duel against her. If that were not bad enough on its own, I had recently rebirthed, so my stats were much lower than usual.

Now I never have been geared toward PvP duels, but she let me in the guild and helped me out immensely a good number of times. It was a small requ-- um... demand to honor. So I accepted the challenge. When she was close to winning as expected, the spectators of our duel suddenly saw rays of white beaming around me. They were both shocked and amused at what they had seen. I had leveled up mid-duel against a much better player.

"Oh, look what I just happened to notice. Let me take care of that little quest and we can get back to dueling."

Leveling up was not against the unwritten rules of dueling. That was something people never had considered possible during a duel. I went on to win. She wanted a rematch. I obliged and was soundly defeated. But the joy of my victory well surpassed the agony of my certain defeat.

With that said, I must confess "No Leveling" should be added to the list. But that day, it was my only defense.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Helsa wrote: »
    Crimsọn wrote: »

So, you would break ground rules after agreeing to them?

Absolutely. :trollface:
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    I never understood PVP in the game period. That's what Arena's were for? I think with all the revamp and re-design. Arena's need a huge one.

Not sure if giants Throw Attack still goes through the dmg restriction, but skills like that when you have it metered in PVP so you only do 1 dmg and then have a skill that can do more dmg than 1. Is where and why they have those usually. Elf's Mirage Missile was another. Not sure if the PVP was fixed and rebalanced. Those used to be the biggest complaints back in the day if I remember.
  • HelsaHelsa
    If Nexon updated the PvP set-up interface to allow for setting special rules and conditions, you folks that PvP frequently, what would you like to see included?