Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Now consider the following

BlankeyeBlankeye
Mabinogi Rep: 4,640
edited February 28, 2017 in General Chat
Mabinogi is based on Celtic Mythology, correct?
Celtic mythology stemming from mostly Irish, Scottish and some British decent.
Obviously all the NPCs in the story-line speak in English, but considering the origin, wouldn't they all be speaking with accents?
Next time you're talking to Ferghus, imagine him with a thick Scottish accent because chances are that's probably what he would sound like based off the Celtic setting.
All our faves likely have European accents and I think that's an interesting new thing to consider next time you read some NPC dialogue.
(For those of you in EU I'm sure you already read their dialogue like this anyway.)
Alukina
  1. NPCs with accents! Yay or Nay?!25 votes
    1. Yay!
       88% (22 votes)
    2. Nay!
       12% (3 votes)

Comments

• AichannAichann
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    I always pictured Ferghus sounding like Hagrid from HP :3
  • MeyMey
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    I never really thought of reading the NPC's text in voices at all.. Now I'm going to add accents to EVERYBODY
    Skaidrojumi
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I'm from EU, but i never thought of making up accents for NPCs, never in life. I'm too lazy for that.
    Helsa
  • nevyn25nevyn25
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,135
    Greta wrote: »
    I'm from EU, but i never thought of making up accents for NPCs, never in life. I'm too lazy for that.

same, but I kinda like the idea though :D
  • Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    From the UK myself, and while I've never gone out of my way to give the characters accents, I guess that is probably how I naturally read the text anyways XD
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
    edited March 1, 2017
    Ferghus would sound like a Robin William's impression of a drunk Scotsmen.
    Hiroki05
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    Blankeye wrote: »
    (For those of you in EU I'm sure you already read their dialogue like this anyway.)

Nope. I think it can only apply to the ones that live in the UK, or people that traveled to UK (and can distinguish various accents)

I'm 100% sure I need to go see some youtube videos to understand the various accents, NPCs seem so monotone to me D:
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    Thou idea is Briliant
    vote yay for thee
  • AlukinaAlukina
    Mabinogi Rep: 860
    I got a little excited when the Meryl/Laighlinne partner (I forgot specifically what it's called) had a voice. I was like AAAA NEXON IS FINALLY DOING VOICE ACTING? But then I realized how far fetched that sounds and got sad because odds are they'd never go to that length to do something that cool lol