Check out the patch notes for the G25 Hypernova: Glyphwright update: https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/64632/g25-hypernova-glyphwright-patch-notes-january-21-2021
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Direct Launch Ending March 16th

Comments

  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,420
    Posts: 669
    Member
    edited March 1, 2017
    If they just want to remove patching from direct launcher, I can deal with at least that. But I don't want to use Nexon Launcher or Steam to LOAD the game and login with a tied set account. I like being able to load Mabinogi.exe and typing my ID/PW from there when I feel like playing.
    badnewsbarrettNinzerker
  • MediaKleptoMediaKlepto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    Posts: 186
    Member
    edited March 1, 2017
    ...How many more ridiculous steps towards killing this game are you going to take before you realize that fixing NON-issues should NOT be your priority?

    Many of my friends launch the game either via the Mabinogi.exe from the Nexon Launcher, or via the .exe in the Steamapps folder simply because NO OTHER OPTIONS work for them - my irl husband who is the PAYING PREMIUM LEADER of our guild being one of them.

    Between the constant "typos", repeated server crashes, useless cash-grab packages, idle events, and now this? You're about to lose what little bit is left of your player base and at least a heavy handful of your paying customers. Have you lost your minds?

    ANSWER ME THIS because it is of great importance, and after what happened with the Star Piece event's news post today I simply cannot trust your wording: Are those of us who play through Steam still going to be able to launch it through Steam? And to that end, will we still be able to launch through the Mabinogi.exe in the Steamapps folder?

    These are important, need-to-know questions before I dump anymore funds on a game I could potentially be stonewalled from playing.

    EDIT:
    It automatically keeps your game client up-to-date by updating in the background, even if you're playing Mabinogi or another Nexon game.
    This TRASH right here is exactly why many of us WON'T or simply CAN'T use the launcher. The game itself already consumes more resources than many modern games and now you want us handling even more? Be reasonable here, guys, and at least ANSWER the questions you're being posed before it's too late for any of us.
    DaktaroeikodenHiroki05
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,525
    Posts: 6,908
    Member
    Sai wrote: »
    If they just want to remove patching from direct launcher, I can deal with at least that. But I don't want to use Nexon Launcher or Steam to LOAD the game and login with a tied set account. I like being able to load Mabinogi.exe and typing my ID/PW from there when I feel like playing.

    I guess you will have to deal with it then. Why would you like to type ID/PW every time you start game, that's so annoying lol.
  • LiyetaLiyeta
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,060
    Posts: 765
    Member
    no, more like it took 4 day ish to download the game with my connection. which i don't feel like doing anymore.
    hmm nope cant use steam since i am outside of US.
    its not that i want to stop playing.
    but thats still kind of mean D:
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,525
    Posts: 6,908
    Member
    Liyeta wrote: »
    no, more like it took 4 day ish to download the game with my connection. which i don't feel like doing anymore.

    If you have any extra PC's you can try to play Mabinogi in there while you are downloading it on yours.

  • rvxrvx
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Posts: 3
    Member
    edited March 2, 2017
    I think this is about to break NXSteam launcher, currently it hands off to the original web-launcher to patch AND pass arguments to the command line.

    All it does right now is inject your Steam SSO token into the TCP chat (to port 11000)
  • ShadoeShadoe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,090
    Posts: 241
    Member
    No no no no no no no no! My computer can't handle the extra program running, it's unreliable, it's inconvenient, and it will force me to uninstall and reinstall again through the launcher. I don't know if I will be able to continue playing if you do this.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,525
    Posts: 6,908
    Member
    edited March 1, 2017
    Himochi wrote: »
    Kryo wrote: »
    I tried to get the Nexon launcher once, and it wouldn't work for me. I don't like this D: I like my .exe

    Agreed, the Launcher 1) didn't work at ALL the last time I tried and 2) also gives me unwanted and unwarranted ads and access to your OTHER games. I only PLAY Mabinogi, and only WANT to. In addition, using the .exe allows me to have LESS things running on my computer, since the Launcher is always open in the background, taking up memory and causing lag. This is a BAD idea. I understand the merit, from your standpoint? But for some people, the Launcher simply isn't an option.

    When you download Mabinogi, they will give you option to make Mabinogi shortcut for you. So when you press that shortcut, it instantly starts up your Nexon Launcher and Mabinogi in there, you don't need to do anything else, just press X on Launcher if you don't want to see it. After the game is started, you can right click on Nexon Launcher icon in toolbar and press Exit. Viola, no Launcher, but Mabinogi is still running. Seems like i was right to say that there will be high percentage of people who will rage about this without even barely trying to use it, just try it out again first, then complain here if you find any issues with it now.

  • MediaKleptoMediaKlepto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    Posts: 186
    Member
    edited March 1, 2017
    Really missing what part of "the launcher barely works or doesn't work at all for some people" is difficult for people to understand, and would really love confirmation on the fact that Steam will even still work since it essentially directly runs the direct launcher in its own right.

    A lot of people I see in all of the threads concerning this are rushing to download via Steam, and I'd feel really horrible for them if they wind up getting jackhammered out anyway, so even just getting a yes/no would be to some degree helpful. I'm also hoping this isn't in part windfall for the Steam Direct announcement recently.
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,260
    Posts: 375
    Member
    For Nexon Launcher
    The default directory for the NX launcher should have the game folder and 2 folders in there. I think the appdata is where the files are at...

    :::Example:: C:\Nexon\Library\mabinogi\appdata

    All you have to do is start the download so that Mabinogi creates it's directory and go into the main area and remove the starting contents if any and copy paste from your original client folder. Then go to the launcher and you should see a gear symbol. Click that and verify the installation and it should take a while and you should be good to go

    For Steam
    Sadly there's been a lot of changes and I don't think you can copy paste this time. You have to download the whole file...again.
    Greta
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,525
    Posts: 6,908
    Member
    edited March 1, 2017
    Oh god... You guys need to legit stop making new threads about same thing because this thread merging is really confusing and annoying.
  • HimochiHimochi
    Mabinogi Rep: 735
    Posts: 20
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    Himochi wrote: »
    Kryo wrote: »
    I tried to get the Nexon launcher once, and it wouldn't work for me. I don't like this D: I like my .exe

    Agreed, the Launcher 1) didn't work at ALL the last time I tried and 2) also gives me unwanted and unwarranted ads and access to your OTHER games. I only PLAY Mabinogi, and only WANT to. In addition, using the .exe allows me to have LESS things running on my computer, since the Launcher is always open in the background, taking up memory and causing lag. This is a BAD idea. I understand the merit, from your standpoint? But for some people, the Launcher simply isn't an option.

    When you download Mabinogi, they will give you option to make Mabinogi shortcut for you. So when you press that shortcut, it instantly starts up your Nexon Launcher and Mabinogi in there, you don't need to do anything else, just press X on Launcher if you don't want to see it. After the game is started, you can right click on Nexon Launcher icon in toolbar and press Exit. Viola, no Launcher, but Mabinogi is still running. Seems like i was right to say that there will be high percentage of people who will rage about this without even barely trying to use it, just try it out again first, then complain here if you find any issues with it now.

    Seems like you missed most of what was being said then. Why would I expect a program that didn't work once to work again? If you try something and don't like it, you don't use it again. That's how commercial society works, but let's not get in to THAT.

    The issue is not "oh god Launcher sucks I hate it", the issue is "the Launcher legitimately causes a great number of people a great number of problems, and forcing us to use it is going to force a lot of people out of the game".

    And it's fine and dandy that I can close the Launcher itself AFTER the game is loaded. I still have to contend with the unimportant ads for Nexon's other games that I don't care about causing lag, and having both programs running until such time as I CAN close one. I have to close Skype to be able to run Mabi as it IS, and now I won't have any choice BUT to bog myself down until Mabi finishes loading.
    Kryo
  • ZatopekZatopek
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    Post: 1
    Member
    Saygo wrote: »
    we will be able to focus our attention on making improvements to Nexon Launcher and providing a smoother patch experience for all of our upcoming updates.
    WHAT PATCHES???, the koreans are WAY ahead on game breaking patches and fixes, the only patches NA is launching are nx cash grabs.

    On a side note, not everyone in the EU can use the Steam version.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,525
    Posts: 6,908
    Member
    If you only don't like launcher only because of Ads and "lag" then i just suggest you leaving this game. RIP. Poor PC.
  • HimochiHimochi
    Mabinogi Rep: 735
    Posts: 20
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    If you only don't like launcher only because of Ads and "lag" then i just suggest you leaving this game. RIP. Poor PC.

    So if people don't have top-notch machines, they shouldn't play the games they enjoy? THAT sounds like good marketing, it does. I wonder if Nexon shares your insight into their business practices.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,525
    Posts: 6,908
    Member
    Himochi wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    If you only don't like launcher only because of Ads and "lag" then i just suggest you leaving this game. RIP. Poor PC.

    So if people don't have top-notch machines, they shouldn't play the games they enjoy? THAT sounds like good marketing, it does. I wonder if Nexon shares your insight into their business practices.

    Well, i have 5 year old laptop. My PC actually can be called potato by hard core gamers.

  • HimochiHimochi
    Mabinogi Rep: 735
    Posts: 20
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    Himochi wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    If you only don't like launcher only because of Ads and "lag" then i just suggest you leaving this game. RIP. Poor PC.

    So if people don't have top-notch machines, they shouldn't play the games they enjoy? THAT sounds like good marketing, it does. I wonder if Nexon shares your insight into their business practices.

    Well, i have 5 year old laptop. My PC actually can be called potato by hard core gamers.

    Mine's 8 years old, and only just has the required specs for the game. :P
    Honestly, my biggest concerns are as follows and some as already mentioned:

    1) The Launcher isn't just for Mabi, but I only play Mabi. If part of their update to this system only pushes their other games if I actually play them, I'm fine with that. I don't need to be hounded for games I don't partake in. I just want to load Mabi, and play Mabi.

    2) The Launcher requires additional CPU while it loads. If what you say is true and I can close it after load, that's at least a step in the right direction.

    3) The Launcher does currently hold a bevy of interface bugs, not the least of which is the notorious "play button does nothing". Again, IF they do some maintenance on the Launcher, this would hopefully be fixed too.

    The biggest issue here is, they've only given us one piece of the puzzle. If I had more information - are the above concerns going to be addressed? - IS the Steam route still going to be available? - then we would all have more to go on. I'm not saying I'm done with the game or anything like that. I'm saying that as it stands now, with the information I have available to me, I honestly do not believe I will be ABLE to continue playing.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 62,255
    Posts: 8,129
    Member
    edited March 1, 2017
    Liyeta wrote: »
    no, more like it took 4 day ish to download the game with my connection. which i don't feel like doing anymore.
    hmm nope cant use steam since i am outside of US.
    its not that i want to stop playing.
    but thats still kind of mean D:

    I am not trying to be mean, it just irks me when players threaten not to play anymore because of change or snags in the system. I hope the above option to copy over the files to the new directory works, otherwise you're going to have to suck it up and redownload.
    GretaHelsa
  • SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,390
    Posts: 106
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »
    Liyeta wrote: »
    no, more like it took 4 day ish to download the game with my connection. which i don't feel like doing anymore.
    hmm nope cant use steam since i am outside of US.
    its not that i want to stop playing.
    but thats still kind of mean D:

    I am not trying to be mean, it just irks me when players threaten not to play anymore because of change or snags in the system. I am sorry about your slow connection. But you're going to have to accept that from this point on, this is going to be your only option. You can suck it up and redownload, or say goodbye to this community. We don't want that and I know you don't want that.

    So, while you have time before the 16th, I suggest installing the Nexon launcher and redownloading the game.

    Sorry.

    It doesn't hurt to complain sometimes those complaints cause change. So while it irks you, it's completely in their right to state their complaints towards something that will cause them difficulties.
    LiyetaHiroki05
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,525
    Posts: 6,908
    Member
    edited March 1, 2017
    I honestly only play Mabinogi too, but maybe sometime i will try other Nexon games too if i ever get feeling like trying out something new. In that case, all i will need to do is press download in Nexon Launcher. Let's hope they will explain it further about these Steam questions and such, they should also make Mabinogi available in Steam for everyone in EU, because i heard only british players can download Mabinogi in there.