Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Reflections: Reforged update!
https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/69963/reflections-reforged-patch-notes-november-4th-2021
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Direct Launch Ending March 16th

Comments

  • AigisAigis
    Mabinogi Rep: 940
    Posts: 11
    Member
    edited March 11, 2017
    I refuse. I completely refuse to keep adding more and more programs to my computer just to play a game I was able to play just fine before. Just as I absolutely refuse to get a phone just so I can use their garbage apps, I refuse to switch to your garbage launcher so I can play my asphyxiating game. And let me add that I will make my OWN patch service and launcher by rooting it off of yours if you remove steam. I'm so sick of you doing this. So, SO sick of you doing this nexon. Don't ask me to download a program so I can run a program that is more than capable of running on its own without the bloatware. Don't be surprised when you lose another 30% or more of your playerbase for this. You're crossing the line.
    Brightheart
  • Neagan777Neagan777
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Posts: 24
    Member
    Nexon yet again another dumb move. :/
  • Neagan777Neagan777
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Posts: 24
    Member
    Arlo9922 wrote: »
    so basically you canceling something that makes the game less laggy and making it so people have to use a system that makes you lag twice as hard since the nexon launcher has to be in the back ground.. thats not really a good idea just saying. personally i hate this idea and ive bin playing since 2008. and the old launcher is still the best in my opinion.
    If only Nexon would listen but sadly I doubt they will. :/

  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Posts: 797
    Member
    Aigis wrote: »
    . . .And let me add that I will make my OWN patch service and launcher by rooting it off of yours if you remove steam.

    Could've just done it without telling them, but I do hope you have fun should legal get called down upon you.
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    Nexon yet again another dumb move. :/

    It only gets dumb when the log in servers have a small heart attack like they did this weekend.
  • ShugshugShugshug
    Mabinogi Rep: 570
    Posts: 21
    Member
    IF this happens im going to quit, im already about to that point but this will push me over the line. I hate the launcher, all the ads for other games, I only play mabi and I do not wish to preload 10 other game banners ect. The whole thing sucks, it causes issues, its slow. im all for "new" if it works well but the launcher does not, its just ads on top of ads, issues on top of issues and a better way for nexon to track accounts im assuming. I don't use steam so thats not an option for me either. On my main account I have bought premium every month for the past 6 yrs plus gacha and pets here and there. I have also purchased premium and nx for family members but if this happens I will quit, the launcher is so not worth the trouble. I dont see how things can go "smoother in the future" with a crappy launcher that has never ran smoothly and I dont see why we can't use the exe as well. I do not want a "unified central location" trying to shove other nexon games down my throat, I only play mabi and only want access to mabi. Running patches in the background while i play is bad too, i can imagine trying to fight a boss when suddenly a patch updates and i can't move, its a nightmare. So keep your launcher but i for one will be looking for a new game to spend my cash on if the exe access is removed.
    Brightheart
  • Neagan777Neagan777
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Posts: 24
    Member
    Buffalos wrote: »
    It only gets dumb when the log in servers have a small heart attack like they did this weekend.
    I say dumb move because more people are going to leave the game and it is making a lot of people upset. I sure know I am not happy about it. Nexon should work on fixing things that need fixing and the change of the launcher isn't one of those things. More story, more areas, more skills, more then just (human, elf and giant) to choose from. Stuff like that. Give people a reason to not ever want to leave the game, then maybe try to change launchers. But there is much needed to mabinogi itself right now that this move isn't really the best one. Also I agree with some of the others that they should make a better launcher before getting rid of the mabi one. I don't care for the Nexon launcher either.

  • Neagan777Neagan777
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Posts: 24
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    Shugshug wrote: »
    IF this happens im going to quit

    Another threatener? Meh... Bye bye, no one will miss people like you~
    Rude. Honestly it is sad that Nexon is making people want leave again. This change shouldn't even happen at least not till things get better with mabi. I am really sad that a lot of people will be leaving the game. And also not happy with what you just said because that isn't going to help people want to stay. Like cut it out. You don't have anything nice to say how about just say nothing. I think the whole point is to keep mabi alive and people leaving isn't going to help do that.

    KryoAigisBrightheart
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Posts: 797
    Member
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    I say dumb move because more people are going to leave the game and it is making a lot of people upset. I sure know I am not happy about it. Nexon should work on fixing things that need fixing and the change of the launcher isn't one of those things. More story, more areas, more skills, more then just (human, elf and giant) to choose from. Stuff like that. Give people a reason to not ever want to leave the game, then maybe try to change launchers. But there is much needed to mabinogi itself right now that this move isn't really the best one. Also I agree with some of the others that they should make a better launcher before getting rid of the mabi one. I don't care for the Nexon launcher either.

    I think this is a move happening with all of their games, so the Mabi team may not have much choice on waiting. It blows, but it's not the end of the damn world like half this thread is making it out to be. Also worth pointing out that the NA team doesn't create the fixes in the game, the new content, or events: that is almost entirely done by a development team based in Korea.
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    Rude. Honestly it is sad that Nexon is making people want leave again.

    If them trying to push users to use a launcher program that they have been pushing for the past year and a half is what is going to push you out of the game for good, you were already three-quarters of the way out the door. They aren't trying to make you quit, so stop trying to make it sound like they are.
    Greta
  • Neagan777Neagan777
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Posts: 24
    Member
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    I say dumb move because more people are going to leave the game and it is making a lot of people upset. I sure know I am not happy about it. Nexon should work on fixing things that need fixing and the change of the launcher isn't one of those things. More story, more areas, more skills, more then just (human, elf and giant) to choose from. Stuff like that. Give people a reason to not ever want to leave the game, then maybe try to change launchers. But there is much needed to mabinogi itself right now that this move isn't really the best one. Also I agree with some of the others that they should make a better launcher before getting rid of the mabi one. I don't care for the Nexon launcher either.

    I think this is a move happening with all of their games, so the Mabi team may not have much choice on waiting. It blows, but it's not the end of the damn world like half this thread is making it out to be. Also worth pointing out that the NA team doesn't create the fixes in the game, the new content, or events: that is almost entirely done by a development team based in Korea.
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    Rude. Honestly it is sad that Nexon is making people want leave again.

    If them trying to push users to use a launcher program that they have been pushing for the past year and a half is what is going to push you out of the game for good, you were already three-quarters of the way out the door. They aren't trying to make you quit, so stop trying to make it sound like they are.
    The problem is the Nexon launcher doesn't work well for a lot of people. Some people don't have money to buy new computers, new OS and/or high speed internet. So I can understand why people are getting upset. I don't blame the people at all. If the Nexon launcher worked better I wouldn't be so understanding of all the anger from people. I have no plans on leaving over this but will say I am not happy because I am one of those people that has a very slow laptop. Maybe some of the people are already on there way out and this is just too much for them and it just seems to me Nexon should make better options before taking away what is already working well for people. Also I feel strongly that the NA team should get in better contact with the powers at be.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Posts: 797
    Member
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    The problem is the Nexon launcher doesn't work well for a lot of people. Some people don't have money to buy new computers, new OS and/or high speed internet. So I can understand why people are getting upset. I don't blame the people at all. If the Nexon launcher worked better I wouldn't be so understanding of all the anger from people.

    I seriously doubt that OS or internet speed are going to cause issues with the Launcher (though Mac OS hates everything), and I don't think specs alone would kill the launcher. But if people have legit issues, they need to report them through Tech Support so that the dev team can be informed that the issues are there. Most of the complaints are pretty vague and won't help them too much, so if people would just fill out a report fully perhaps some of the prominent issues can be fixed in the coming week.
  • Neagan777Neagan777
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Posts: 24
    Member
    Buffalos wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that OS or internet speed are going to cause issues with the Launcher (though Mac OS hates everything), and I don't think specs alone would kill the launcher. But if people have legit issues, they need to report them through Tech Support so that the dev team can be informed that the issues are there. Most of the complaints are pretty vague and won't help them too much, so if people would just fill out a report fully perhaps some of the prominent issues can be fixed in the coming week.
    You can doubt all you want but some OS make more lag and if you have crap internet that can also make things worse. And then we have the Nexon launcher that makes even more lag. Maybe you don't have these problems so maybe you don't fully understand what others go through. I do think you make a good point about reporting to tech support. I just hope when the switch happens that even I don't crash too much due to that Nexon launcher. Would be nice if they could maybe find a way to make the Nexon launcher better or make a new one all together. I know I will miss the mabi launcher a lot, not just because it works better but for the past 4 years ish that is what I have used and what I am used to. I am sure others might feel the same way. But I know I can get over that part of it if Nexon can have something that works good for people.

    Brightheart
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Posts: 797
    Member
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    You can doubt all you want but some OS make more lag and if you have crap internet that can also make things worse. And then we have the Nexon launcher that makes even more lag.

    Ok I'll clarify that a bit: I doubt that the OS or internet on it's own will make the launcher completely error out and cease functioning. The launcher won't work without internet access, clearly, but it shouldn't error out in ways people are yelling about just because your internet is being funky. OS is a little bit iffy, but pretty much the same unless you're running something that isn't Windows.
    The launcher running in the background and hogging resources hasn't been an issue for me, but I do recall people a while ago saying it was using a lot of CPU. It's definitely not ideal, but you can stop the process in task manager after launching until a general fix is made.
  • Neagan777Neagan777
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Posts: 24
    Member
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Ok I'll clarify that a bit: I doubt that the OS or internet on it's own will make the launcher completely error out and cease functioning. The launcher won't work without internet access, clearly, but it shouldn't error out in ways people are yelling about just because your internet is being funky. OS is a little bit iffy, but pretty much the same unless you're running something that isn't Windows.
    The launcher running in the background and hogging resources hasn't been an issue for me, but I do recall people a while ago saying it was using a lot of CPU. It's definitely not ideal, but you can stop the process in task manager after launching until a general fix is made.
    I see no point to discuss this any further. You may not have had such problems with poor internet or some OS but others have. At this point I just hope Nexon does something to make it all user friendly for everyone. And I may end up stopping the process in task manager in the mean time.

    Brightheart
  • HimochiHimochi
    Mabinogi Rep: 735
    Posts: 20
    Member
    Gaiz. Gaaaaaiz. I got an answer from the live chat! This at least solves some of the issues we've been having.

    GM Dreuk
    Hi Himochi! This is GM Dreuk. How may I help you today?

    Himochi
    Not sure you can, but hopefully! People just aren't getting a lot of answers via the forums, and inquiring minds want to know!

    With the removal of direct launch, does that mean that players will ONLY be able to play Mabinogi via the Nexon Launcher? Or is the Steam platform version still going to be an acceptable way to login?

    The Nexon Launcher has an unfortunate history of a) causing a lot of lag for players with older computers since it runs additional software in the background and b) being prone to bugs such as the Play button not functioning every time you try to load.

    GM Dreuk
    Yes.

    Players can access the game via the Nexon launcher and Steam launcher only.

    The Nexon launcher is being updated and fixed over time. So, there will be no problem with that.

    Himochi
    I kind of thought that might be the case, and I'm very glad to hear it.
    NegumikoBrightheart
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,535
    Posts: 1,090
    Member
    Himochi wrote: »
    Gaiz. Gaaaaaiz. I got an answer from the live chat! This at least solves some of the issues we've been having.

    GM Dreuk
    Hi Himochi! This is GM Dreuk. How may I help you today?

    Himochi
    Not sure you can, but hopefully! People just aren't getting a lot of answers via the forums, and inquiring minds want to know!

    With the removal of direct launch, does that mean that players will ONLY be able to play Mabinogi via the Nexon Launcher? Or is the Steam platform version still going to be an acceptable way to login?

    The Nexon Launcher has an unfortunate history of a) causing a lot of lag for players with older computers since it runs additional software in the background and b) being prone to bugs such as the Play button not functioning every time you try to load.

    GM Dreuk
    Yes.

    Players can access the game via the Nexon launcher and Steam launcher only.

    The Nexon launcher is being updated and fixed over time. So, there will be no problem with that.

    Himochi
    I kind of thought that might be the case, and I'm very glad to hear it.

    Thanks for posting this so we finally have a solid answer ^^ Very glad the Steam version should still work after the 16th. It is sad the direct launcher is going as this will cause us to lose mabi players. However I still prefer Steam over the crappy nexon launcher.
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Posts: 883
    Member
    I could have sworn days ago that someone from Nexon or the announcement page had stated that Steam launcher and Nexon launcher were the only two ways to open the game after the update, but I don't see Steam being mentioned at all now (unless I'm just totally overlooking it). It would have prevented a lot of upset within this thread. :C Hmm...
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,090
    Posts: 887
    Member
    I think some of the reactions to this launcher was very over the top and unnecessary. I think some people just need to have some faith. :T
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,655
    Posts: 948
    Member
    edited March 13, 2017
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    I say dumb move because more people are going to leave the game and it is making a lot of people upset. I sure know I am not happy about it. Nexon should work on fixing things that need fixing and the change of the launcher isn't one of those things. More story, more areas, more skills, more then just (human, elf and giant) to choose from. Stuff like that. Give people a reason to not ever want to leave the game, then maybe try to change launchers. But there is much needed to mabinogi itself right now that this move isn't really the best one. Also I agree with some of the others that they should make a better launcher before getting rid of the mabi one. I don't care for the Nexon launcher either.

    I think this is a move happening with all of their games, so the Mabi team may not have much choice on waiting. It blows, but it's not the end of the damn world like half this thread is making it out to be. Also worth pointing out that the NA team doesn't create the fixes in the game, the new content, or events: that is almost entirely done by a development team based in Korea.
    Neagan777 wrote: »
    Rude. Honestly it is sad that Nexon is making people want leave again.

    If them trying to push users to use a launcher program that they have been pushing for the past year and a half is what is going to push you out of the game for good, you were already three-quarters of the way out the door. They aren't trying to make you quit, so stop trying to make it sound like they are.

    I disagree. There's no acceptable reason to end the Direct Launch. And the reason why people are thinking its the end of the world is because Nexon Launcher is an utter load of crap for many; they have the same problems as the few people who can't get the Direct Launcher to run; if anything, they should just end the Nexon Launcher.
    Xiokun wrote: »
    I think some of the reactions to this launcher was very over the top and unnecessary. I think some people just need to have some faith. :T

    Faith? If this was any other company, I'd try to have faith. But having faith in Nexon?

    mXyupD1.gif
    Brightheart
  • Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    Posts: 26
    Member
    Hmmm, then the question remains of whether we'll get a steam listing in the EU region as part of the NA EU merger. If I had the choice I would pick steam since I can atleast count on it working properly. While I'm glad they say the Nexon launcher is being updated and fixed over time, over time isnt going to solve the problem soon enough for the forced changeover.

    Guess I'll raise a ticket myself.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,090
    Posts: 887
    Member
    @PlatinaKoki

    It's not that extreme to me. If the launcher is that bad people can go to steam where it will work. I just can't see ANY company forcing a broken launcher onto us without trying to fix it at all. They might take their time, but they'll fix it, just like how they eventually got Mabinogi and their anti-hack program to work on windows. It'll be fine. :p