Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Elves Being Better at Magic

Comments

• SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,690
    Kaga wrote: »
    SirRyu wrote: »

Nope. Nor did I think about disadvantages and advantages (that was years ago)
    I simply picked elves because they looked cool.
    But now since I played the game for a while (know more advantages and disadvantages between the 3 races) and I am a capped elf, I realized what elves lack compared to the other races.

Apparently from the way updates are going seems like they want to keep magic neutral between the races and archery as the main focus of elves. While this might be disappointing to some it's just like every other race, each one has an ace up their sleeve that'll let them toss out tons of damage (or at least they will after these updates) If you decide not to use them that's your choice, it doesn't make the update bad or the skill any less powerful.

a 400% aim speed for (NA/EU people with high ping) does make the skill/update useless and less powerful.
    I am speaking from my perspective.
    Obviously that 400% aim speed is good for people who don't have archery lag (like KR) or people who live near NA servers.
    But for us people who lag, and NA having archery lag, it does make it useless. Or atleast not "up there" with a boost like 10% damage (giant's)
    Even though I don't archer a 10% damage boost in archery or some form of 10% boost in either magic/archery would be sufficient.

Oh yeah, we also have the right to complain/discuss about things we don't like/wish we had (like this thread)

That last part is pretty funny coming from you, considering your reaction towards the lore.
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited March 14, 2017

But now since I played the game for a while (know more advantages and disadvantages between the 3 races) and I am a capped elf, I realized what elves lack compared to the other races.

Apparently from the way updates are going seems like they want to keep magic neutral between the races and archery as the main focus of elves. While this might be disappointing to some it's just like every other race, each one has an ace up their sleeve that'll let them toss out tons of damage (or at least they will after these updates) If you decide not to use them that's your choice, it doesn't make the update bad or the skill any less powerful.

a 400% aim speed for (NA/EU people with high ping) does make the skill/update useless and less powerful.
    Obviously that 400% aim speed is good for people who don't have archery lag (like KR) or people who live near NA servers.
    But for us people who lag, and NA having archery lag, it does make it useless. Or atleast not "up there" with a boost like 10% damage (giant's)
    Even though I don't archer a 10% damage boost in archery or some form of 10% boost in either magic/archery would be sufficient.

Oh yeah, we also have the right to complain/discuss about things we don't like/wish we had (like this thread)

That last part is pretty funny coming from you, considering your reaction towards the lore.

You remind me of the other guy before we got the new forum. Always talking about elf "lores" and how elves can't be dark-skinned because of the "lore". Who knows, you might be the same annoying dude.

By discussing I obviously meant what "updates" we could get to improve elves in magic, not your whiny comments about why we shouldn't "get" it because of the way you see Mabinogi elves' lore.

You and the other guy (who got his comments deleted) were the only ones who were whining about elf lores the most on this thread anyways.

OP is clearly asking if we have suggestions how to improve elves in magic, not if it's against the "lore" or some BS.
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240

That's just it - an aim speed increase helps everyone, including the people who lag (though, I'd like to know what exactly you mean by 'archery lag'). You might argue that it helps some more than others, but the only people it truly doesn't help are the people who have given up on archery entirely, whether because they feel like they lag too much or because they think archery is just too slow/unreliable, it makes no difference either way. Saying the improvement doesn't help you just because you choose not to use it doesn't mean much.

I'm not saying it's entirely unjustified to think that way - as I've already said in this thread (I think), of all the combat talents, archery is easily the most (or second most) adversely affected by lag. What I am saying, is that changes like increased aim speed can help archers cope with lag (regardless of exactly how laggy they are), and we could use more changes like this.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425

I have to admit, there is a difference between lore and what is outright stated at the introduction screen for new players. If you make a Giant or Elf, they clearly alert you to the unique racial skills they possess and their supposed superiority in melee or range. I think it is fair to say a lot of people favor specialization, which is why I myself main elf, long I realize that magic was essentially the same but archery was subtly superior. I think the question is, "Where do we draw the line of the power difference between a human mage, a giant mage, and an elf mage, if one should exist?" I'd be upset that if it races were only cosmetics, as giants cannot wear a significant amount of clothing, and elves cannot wear a majority of heavy armor.

I think giants were well overdue. They did not have the bash enhancement, or a room clearing skill like Final Hit, nor were their unique skills decent trade offs besides Vales Shield negating everything to 1 on Defense.

Not sure about Elves. I think Kaga might have a point, even if his ideas are absurd. I think Humans have a point as they don't want to be radically left behind.
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited March 14, 2017

That's just it - an aim speed increase helps everyone, including the people who lag (though, I'd like to know what exactly you mean by 'archery lag'). You might argue that it helps some more than others, but the only people it truly doesn't help are the people who have given up on archery entirely, whether because they feel like they lag too much or because they think archery is just too slow/unreliable, it makes no difference either way. Saying the improvement doesn't help you just because you choose not to use it doesn't mean much.

I'm not saying it's entirely unjustified to think that way - as I've already said in this thread (I think), of all the combat talents, archery is easily the most (or second most) adversely affected by lag. What I am saying, is that changes like increased aim speed can help archers cope with lag (regardless of exactly how laggy they are), and we could use more changes like this.

Sure it does, but why do we have to force ourselves to main archery when we ARE already main'ing magic?
    I mean sure if we main'ed melee then that would be kinda ridicilous since it literally states that elves aren't good with combat, and beside of that we can already tell.
    But magic?

Regardless if it helps or not, I have to point something else out too.

We always seem to get "archery" related updates when it comes to elf updates.
    I and many players would love to see some more Magic related updates for elves from now on instead.
    Now the question is; what should the update include?
    The answer could be one of the suggestions that people made in this thread.
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865

Sure it does, but why do we have to force ourselves to main archery when we ARE already main'ing magic?
    I mean sure if we main'ed melee then that would be kinda ridicilous since it literally states that elves aren't good with combat, and beside of that we can already tell.
    But magic?

Regardless if it helps or not, I have to point something else out too.

We always seem to get "archery" related updates when it comes to elf updates.
    I and many players would love to see some more Magic related updates for elves from now on instead.
    Now the question is; what should the update include?
    The answer could be one of the suggestions that people made in this thread.

So this is a bit contradictory from me seeing as how I started this topic, but one point to be made is that aside from stat pools and lance/fighter all the equipment pool benefits and exclusive skills are in the ranged and close combat category. Final Hit is a combat skill, and humans can dual wield one handed swords which is in combat. Giants lack archery but have shield with two-hander and dual wield hammers, and Elves can't use two handers but get boosts in archery. While there isn't any hybrid talent that benefit elves more than other races and not being able to use lances -for some reason- does kind of suck its not like giants are getting special buffs in alchemy. The updates for them is all combat related, which is probably because they originally had this dichotomy with elves and ranged.

I'm not saying that there's no merit in discussing magic buffs, just that the elves lean towards archery isn't all that unfair. Personally I'd rather have some int/dex hybrid talent that helped fill in what elves are missing, a rework of the Dex stat, and possibly something done with rapiers that made them DEX based weapons with some degree of piercing with maybe a special skill or two rather than a magic buff. I'm not holding my breath on any of those either though.