Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Direct Launch Ending March 16th

Comments

• lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    God this stupid launcher
    Tell it where my mabinogi directory is
    Now the piece of trash is downloading 8 gigs...
    I hate damn launchers just one more hoop to jump through to get the damn software working while spying on you in the background.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Xiokun wrote: »
    @PlatinaKoki

It's not that extreme to me. If the launcher is that bad people can go to steam where it will work. I just can't see ANY company forcing a broken launcher onto us without trying to fix it at all. They might take their time, but they'll fix it, just like how they eventually got Mabinogi and their anti-hack program to work on windows. It'll be fine. :p

Don't forget; for the longest time (and still happening, I think), Mabinogi client alone is prone to memory leaks. That alone means we don't need a second Nexon application running in the background.

All I can hope is that someone finds some flaw in the programming that can allow people to manipulate the Direct Launch again. I've used the Direct Launcher 99% of the time since I first started playing (using the Steam version mainly when I wanted to use funds in my Steam Wallet on Mabinogi.)
  • lidiyalidiya
    edited March 15, 2017
    good god this thing is even crappier then I thought
    told it to install it on one of my drives that have all my video games on it.
    It installs on C:...
    Move the files tell the launcher again to goto the other drive it redownloads them all... Was this piece of crap made by 1st year CS students?
    Is this thing a pre-April Fools joke?
  • Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    edited March 15, 2017
    Response to my ticket regarding possibility of EU Steam support was
    Please know our game team takes player feedback and suggestions seriously, and I will be forwarding your concerns to them. Should you wish to make any more suggestions, may I advise you to take advantage of our Feedback and Suggestions category on our web forum as our game team does monitor the forums.
    Perhaps customer support are the wrong people to go to with that sort of question, but at the very least it would suggest they haven't been prompted with any plans regarding the topic. Looks more like a copy paste response than a direct response though, so they might have no clue what so ever and just provided a generic response instead of checking up, we'll see I guess.

Would be nice to see it on the EU steam store though as part of the global merger, and gives us EU folks a backup plan incase nexon launcher doesn't work.
  • FrustrateFrustrate
    Mabinogi Rep: 730
    edited March 15, 2017
    The announcement page said majority of its players uses the Nexon Launcher already. I'm like....."Oh really? <_< I doubt it." It causes so many problems for people. I swear this is one of the most unnecessary updates Nexon is forcing upon its loyal players. We're all victims to this because even people with decent computers for this game may have issues with the Nexon Launcher too, not just people with slow internet and old OS. So many people have posted on the forums about being so frustrated with the issues caused by the Nexon Launcher. They consider about quitting. That's scary.
  • Eureka12Eureka12
    Mabinogi Rep: 955
    So...today is the last day of people using launcher exe, huh? I wonder how many people will quit Mabinogi because of the removal of exe?

I still don't understand why it is necessary to remove it when nothing is broken. My only thoughts is maybe nexon launcher is easier for Nexon to update their game through that? I do know that the exe does have some flaws. Like it can only automatic update the game once. So, if you did system restore or something, the client can't reupdate it. So you have to manual update yourself. Still, regardless, the exe is much more convienent and less trouble than Nexon Launcher.
  • lidiyalidiya
    Frustrate wrote: »
    The announcement page said majority of its players uses the Nexon Launcher already. I'm like....."Oh really? <_< I doubt it." It causes so many problems for people. I swear this is one of the most unnecessary updates Nexon is forcing upon its loyal players. We're all victims to this because even people with decent computers for this game may have issues with the Nexon Launcher too, not just people with slow internet and old OS. So many people have posted on the forums about being so frustrated with the issues caused by the Nexon Launcher. They consider about quitting. That's scary.

I was actually thinking about it, and if it gives me anymore issues I will quit.
    Honestly this launcher is almost as bad as ubisofts pile of trash uplay which I uninstalled, and never went back to even though I had 2 games I bought, and never even played due to issues with that moronically bad launcher. FWIW uplay one day decided I didn't have AC2 installed even though I played it the night before, and then deleted all my save data, and redownloaded the game... after that I hit uninstall. Nexon launcher is about just as bad as I've had to download the game 2X already due to it, but thankfully there is no real local data to be worried about.
  • MeyMey
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    Downloading the Nexon Launcher tonight.. Hopefully it doesn't give me any problems or I will cry. :c
  • Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    edited March 16, 2017
    Eureka12 wrote: »
    So...today is the last day of people using launcher exe, huh? I wonder how many people will quit Mabinogi because of the removal of exe?

I still don't understand why it is necessary to remove it when nothing is broken. My only thoughts is maybe nexon launcher is easier for Nexon to update their game through that? I do know that the exe does have some flaws. Like it can only automatic update the game once. So, if you did system restore or something, the client can't reupdate it. So you have to manual update yourself. Still, regardless, the exe is much more convienent and less trouble than Nexon Launcher.

I've not once experienced that, but you could always simply modify the version file. That file is literally just the version number in Hex format, so you can just upload it to any hex editor website, roll it back one number and replace the file and it will repatch that version.
  • tachiorztachiorz
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    If it won't break direct client launch with a batch file - i'll live with it. Starting that launcher just to patch the game isn't that horrible. If not... gotta reimplement launcher myself D:
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Welp, Mabinogi will no longer work on my backup computer, then.
  • SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,690
    So...apparently Steam's launcher = direct launcher so it redirects you to the Nexon's launcher.
  • MirralChanMirralChan
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,235
    Why would you do this *cries for steam* :(
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    SirRyu wrote: »
    So...apparently Steam's launcher = direct launcher so it redirects you to the Nexon's launcher.

Great job, Nexon. Once again, a major failure.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited March 16, 2017
    Steam launcher is effected and won't launch the game because it's using Mabinogi's old launcher, nice. Only limited to one option instead of the previous 3, and if that one option fails, then there's no way around it.

Edit: Looks like it's fixed for now. There's a quick small update for Mabinogi on steam that fixes the launcher issue.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Saygo wrote: »
    The majority of our players are already using Nexon Launcher, and by discontinuing the older systems including direct launch, we will be able to focus our attention on making improvements to Nexon Launcher and providing a smoother patch experience for all of our upcoming updates.

00J3T-c5f875c0-d8d2-4fe1-b3f5-99998943e887.jpg
    a8909b567ff9fca63b0313f321181949.gif
  • DweebiDweebi
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    edited March 16, 2017
    really? 2 minutes into the game thru the launcher and I got kicked because of a "security threat"?!?!? I dont use anything that would or could be considered a security threat! I play mabi totally legal no frills or thrills, no hax or bots, I dont even use "dyelite" like so many others users do....WTH? Why did you break something that worked perfectly? I'm going to try to finish the attendance event then I quit, maybe in the not so distant future NExon will come to its senses and get rid of this crap. (nexon launcher)
    Edit:
    Relogged to try again, same thing happened this time i took a screenshot....
    118pvvb.jpg
  • Kandi13Kandi13
    Mabinogi Rep: 420
    Dweebi wrote: »
    really? 2 minutes into the game thru the launcher and I got kicked because of a "security threat"?!?!? I dont use anything that would or could be considered a security threat! I play mabi totally legal no frills or thrills, no hax or bots, I dont even use "dyelite" like so many others users do....WTH? Why did you break something that worked perfectly? I'm going to try to finish the attendance event then I quit, maybe in the not so distant future NExon will come to its senses and get rid of this
    crap. (nexon launcher)

It's not just you that's being kicked out, so far seems like everyone is having the same issue. There's already a forum post stating the issue and hopefully it will be adressed quickly.
  • DweebiDweebi
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    ShouK wrote: »
    Saygo wrote: »
    The majority of our players are already using Nexon Launcher, and by discontinuing the older systems including direct launch, we will be able to focus our attention on making improvements to Nexon Launcher and providing a smoother patch experience for all of our upcoming updates.

Whats smooth about being kicked 2 minutes into the game? and I'm sorry to disagree but I think the majority of users do not use the launcher. The only thing I see in the launcher is the ads that keep spamming and no way to turn off the "slide show" or game ad banners. The only thing smooth about the launcher is how much it lags me.
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    Where as it only takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to launch Mabi via direct launch, it now takes 5 minutes or more to launch via launcher. I don't know why this occurs (I know it's not my system or connection since it takes the same amount of time on all my computers/laptops), but I do think it's pretty bad when launching now requires far more time than the usual manual login.