Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

So dungeon botters are a thing now.

Comments

• FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    You need to also consider that people have multiple computers and can run mabinogi on them also. I have two computers that I use and I have Mabinogi on both of them. Some people have laptops for traveling and computers and have the game on them also.
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    you can assume all you want but in the end you should just send in a ticket if you really are suspicious and let CS take care of it (in a few years maybe)
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Or you can just let people be? How is it hurting you and effecting your game play negatively? I would just let people be and let nexon handle it on their own accord. If people want to get caught, they will be caught. They dont need people jumping down their throat.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Or you can just let people be? How is it hurting you and effecting your game play negatively? I would just let people be and let nexon handle it on their own accord. If people want to get caught, they will be caught. They dont need people jumping down their throat.

Conflict! bots can create a HUGE amount of gold for little effort by a player in a very short period of time. Those need to be nuked ASAP and not left to give a few players hundreds of millions of gold for free.
    GretaAlmostNotsuper
  • FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
    edited March 30, 2017

Cheating to get ahead leads to setting a bad standard and lowering the bar for the game. People may think "oh it's just botting, maybe it'll hurt the economy, maybe it won't, it doesn't really matter"

In reality you get people who see this happen, they get greedy and start doing it, and it spreads like a disease until lots of people get banned, or harassed or have people whistle-blow their actions time and time again. Even if they had no idea, and just did it because it was an easy way to make cash, it's going hurt them in the long run.
    SylviaWolfe
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited March 30, 2017

Botting may have negative consequences for the game. One could say the same about item and currency duplication, automatic killings, and such, because this is primarily an EVP game, versus that of PVP like Combat Arms. This does not mean there is no negative effects.

If it is harmful if enough people do it, then people ought to not do it for the most part. The consequences of what is happening are far different then what could happen. it is a matter of "What could happen due to our inaction?"

In any case, I hold nothing against Font modifications, but we are talking about the acquisition of items that go beyond the limitations often inflicted by life's responsibility. Duplication had it adverse effects, particular how Tyrfings and Caladbolgs went down to 2 mil years before the Gacha included them, and just weeks after the g16 udpate. Botting is little different, but enough bots will ruin the the price of even staggering rare items.

Of course, the bright side of that is commonly sought after goods may be cheaper. It is not like the gold is coming out of nowhere through selling. That, and dungeon passes are harder to craft as of now.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited March 30, 2017

Botting may have negative consequences for the game. One could say the same about item and currency duplication, automatic killings, and such, because this is primarily an EVP game, versus that of PVP like Combat Arms. This does not mean there is no negative effects.

If it is harmful if enough people do it, then people ought to not do it for the most part. The consequences of what is happening are far different then what could happen. it is a matter of "What could happen due to our inaction?"

In any case, I hold nothing against Font modifications, but we are talking about the acquisition of items that go beyond the limitations often inflicted by life's responsibility. Duplication had it adverse effects, particular how Tyrfings and Caladbolgs went down to 2 mil years before the Gacha included them, and just weeks after the g16 udpate. Botting is little different, but enough bots will ruin the the price of even staggering rare items.

Of course, the bright side of that is commonly sought after goods may be cheaper. It is not like the gold is coming out of nowhere through selling. That, and dungeon passes are harder to craft as of now.

Exactly, some people are just trying to even the abysmal drop rates of stuff on here rather than relying on gacha. People don't bot for gold as much as they did back in the day. These days people are just trying to increase the odds of getting hard to obtain items and materials. Which is why when people bring in extra characters to their parties, they are not doing it for the gold, they are hoping for something good to drop...for once.

It just basically tells us all that how this game runs is ridiculous. We don't need special snowflakes. Everyone should be able to obtain whatever items they desire and encounter fair drop rates for them. If that was the case the inflation wouldn't be so awful. The inflation is awful because rare items are so freaking rare. Too rare.

I hate to say this but...I am kinda rooting for those with the extra resources to even the playing field. I might get some flak for saying that. But I hope I am not entirely alone on that sentiment.

Ultimately though the devs need to come to terms with stuff like this. If they would just give us what we want in a reasonable manner I think things would be better for everyone.
    SylviaWolfe
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Gaea wrote: »

Exactly, some people are just trying to even the abysmal drop rates of stuff on here rather than relying on gacha. People don't bot for gold as much as they did back in the day. These days people are just trying to increase the odds of getting hard to obtain items and materials. Which is why when people bring in extra characters to their parties, they are not doing it for the gold, they are hoping for something good to drop...for once.

It just basically tells us all that how this game runs is ridiculous. We don't need special snowflakes. Everyone should be able to obtain whatever items they desire and encounter fair drop rates for them. If that was the case the inflation wouldn't be so awful. The inflation is awful because rare items are so freaking rare. Too rare.

I hate to say this but...I am kinda rooting for those with the extra resources to even the playing field. I might get some flak for saying that. But I hope I am not entirely alone on that sentiment.

Ultimately though the devs need to come to terms with stuff like this. If they would just give us what we want in a reasonable manner I think things would be better for everyone.

Again, the drop rates are abysmal due to KR having a larger population than NA, and the KR devs not allowing the NA devs to program in the drop rates that would better fit our servers. Heck, all they can do is ask for and receive the stuff that needs testing and release it.

SylviaWolfe
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265

Who are you saying this to?
    Or what about?

Botting should be stopped, of course.

And abusing alts to get more endchests/completion rewards than normal should also be stopped.

Things are getting kind of extreme.
    A person can "solo" Conflict in less than 2 minutes, carrying 3 alts through on HM.
    So that one person is getting 4x the gold/endchest reward a normal player would get, just transferring gold from the alts to their main every so often.

It's mostly popular with end-game players, who are capable of soloing almost every bit of content, and do so but with alts to increase their rewards.

There are videos of NA players doing this, and for various things, but you can look them up yourself.
    Good on them for being able to solo Phantasm, but wth at using alts to get 4x the rewards for themselves.

If you just let people be, and don't do your part in, not harassing them and jumping down their throats, but in reporting this behavior to Nexon so they CAN handle it of their own accord, then you are part of the issue!
    SylviaWolfe
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Who are you saying this to?
    Or what about?

Botting should be stopped, of course.

And abusing alts to get more endchests/completion rewards than normal should also be stopped.

Things are getting kind of extreme.
    A person can "solo" Conflict in less than 2 minutes, carrying 3 alts through on HM.
    So that one person is getting 4x the gold/endchest reward a normal player would get, just transferring gold from the alts to their main every so often.

It's mostly popular with end-game players, who are capable of soloing almost every bit of content, and do so but with alts to increase their rewards.

There are videos of NA players doing this, and for various things, but you can look them up yourself.
    Good on them for being able to solo Phantasm, but wth at using alts to get 4x the rewards for themselves.

If you just let people be, and don't do your part in, not harassing them and jumping down their throats, but in reporting this behavior to Nexon so they CAN handle it of their own accord, then you are part of the issue!

Yes, botters should be reported, but players at endgame who are using alts for 4x the rewards without the alts getting wiped are abusing the party system. However, with the servers currently as low population as they are compared to the peak of Mabinogi popularity, it does do the market some good to see more materials for the production players flowing through. But yes, please report any abuser or botter. In all honesty, the current way events tie in the need to run sms does help lessen the 'need' to abuse the game.

• lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325

Yes, botters should be reported, but players at endgame who are using alts for 4x the rewards without the alts getting wiped are abusing the party system. However, with the servers currently as low population as they are compared to the peak of Mabinogi popularity, it does do the market some good to see more materials for the production players flowing through. But yes, please report any abuser or botter. In all honesty, the current way events tie in the need to run sms does help lessen the 'need' to abuse the game.

Except prove they are botters. It has been said by Nexon staff one person running mabi on multiple computers is not against the rules. It is only against the rules if they run multiple instances on one physical PC. So your definition of abuser is perfectly legal to do in game, and you are wrongly telling people to report others which will clog the ticket system.
    Botting which is 100% automated playing on the other hand yes is 100% against TOS, and banneable
    edited March 31, 2017
    lidiya wrote: »

Except prove they are botters. It has been said by Nexon staff one person running mabi on multiple computers is not against the rules. It is only against the rules if they run multiple instances on one physical PC. So your definition of abuser is perfectly legal to do in game, and you are wrongly telling people to report others which will clog the ticket system.
    Botting which is 100% automated playing on the other hand yes is 100% against TOS, and banneable

I am not sure if there is a real difference between running multiple accounts on multiple computers and multiple accounts on just one, or at least that is how it should be, when considering the "spamming with alts" argument.

Either ban both or none at all. I am not sure how one argument applies to this one method but not the other, especially in terms of the reward spamming with alts, which can be done easily enough if you have the dexterity with multiple computers.

I am not arguing for or against it, but consistency, especially seeing as how they banned several players for modifications, regardless of what they were.

To illustrate my example, it is tantamount to Batman not "killing" Liam Neeson's character in Batman Begins.

• FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    edited March 31, 2017

I am not sure if there is a real difference between running multiple accounts on multiple computers and multiple accounts on just one, or at least that is how it should be, when considering the "spamming with alts" argument.

Either ban both or none at all.
    I am not sure how one argument applies to this one method but not the other, especially in terms of the reward spamming with alts, which can be done easily enough if you have the dexterity with multiple computers.

I am not arguing for or against it, but consistency, especially seeing as how they banned several players for modifications, regardless of what they were.

To illustrate my example, it is tantamount to Batman not "killing" Liam Neeson's character in Batman Begins.

The difference is Multi-clienting is bypassing the game which is not programmed to open more than one client, so you are using a bypass, while the other is simply a person with more than one computer. Since someone could have computers that run mabi, people can just simply be using more than one computer. That is why I just don't bother to report people, I'm not going to report someone without knowing if they are multi-clienting or using multi computers, nor am I going to walk up to someone and ask.
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    edited March 31, 2017

Where? Please show us that Nexon said this. Further, please show where they specifically said that it's OK for one person to run mabi on multiple computers at the same time.

Anyway, against the rules or not, it's obvious that this compromises the game. It wasn't meant to be played this way. Sure, Nexon could've done more to prevent/discourage this, and sure, thanks to recently released materials being a pain to get in our version of the game, there may even be an upside to people doing this (assuming they actually sell the mats they're supposedly gathering; they could just hoard them), but the first thing can obviously be written off as Nexon's negligence or incompetence in managing the game, and the second doesn't outweigh the problems this causes.

Let's weigh the pros and cons.

Pros:
    -More rare drops get spread around (maybe)

Cons:
    -Gold farmers have an easier time farming gold to sell (indirectly stealing profits from Nexon, by the way)
    -Inflation rises
    -The players who do this have an unfair advantage over other players who can't. They're getting 4x the reward for the same amount of work/time.

Don't just mindlessly obey the rules. Why are the rules there? I'm pretty sure I recall having almost this exact conversation on the old forums. If you're using multiple computers to get more rewards with less effort and in less time, how are you any better than that other guy who bots or even just multi-clients to do the same thing? You think Nexon cares that you spend moneys on more computers (instead of on NX)? You think they want to make sure that you spend the maximum amount of time doing anything in Mabi, that you have to at least click a couple times on multiple computers to abuse the system , instead of botting? Or are they just anal about people modding their client? (Ok, they are, but not without good reason). No matter which way you go about it, you're doing the exact same thing: breaking the game, which is exactly what the rules are there to prevent.

At any rate, it doesn't matter whether we clog the ticket system. If there's a problem with players reporting this, the people who handle the tickets will let us know. They either take care of it or they don't, and none of us have any say in that (you included).
    Greta
    edited March 31, 2017
    The difference is Multi-clienting is bypassing the game which is not programmed to open more than one client, so you are using a bypass, while the other is simply a person with more than one computer. Since someone could have computers that run mabi, people can just simply be using more than one computer. That is why I just don't bother to report people, I'm not going to report someone without knowing if they are multi-clienting or using multi computers, nor am I going to walk up to someone and ask. If someone is stupid enough to bot in public view, where there are alot of people seeing them, that is their own problem,

This is exactly what Iyasenu meant. If you don't report them, you're part of the problem. Perhaps you don't see it as a problem, though.

In any case, reporting is the only reasonable course of action for one who does see this as an issue. I like to think that people don't just instantly get banned with no investigation when they're reported, so it's not as if you're likely to inconvenience someone who isn't doing anything they shouldn't. If you just let them be, then you're knowingly allowing this to continue.

What is wrong with reporting these people if they look suspicious?
    GretaBuffalos
    edited March 31, 2017

Either ban both or none at all.
    I am not sure how one argument applies to this one method but not the other, especially in terms of the reward spamming with alts, which can be done easily enough if you have the dexterity with multiple computers.

The difference is Multi-clienting is bypassing the game which is not programmed to open more than one client, so you are using a bypass, while the other is simply a person with more than one computer. Since someone could have computers that run mabi, people can just simply be using more than one computer. That is why I just don't bother to report people, I'm not going to report someone without knowing if they are multi-clienting or using multi computers, nor am I going to walk up to someone and ask. If someone is stupid enough to bot in public view, where there are alot of people seeing them, that is their own problem,

I was talking about why multi clienting would be banned, essentially the "why" of the equation. Other than the technical stuff, which the developers themselves programmed, I find the argument to be easily "having multiple accounts is not bannable offense by itself" at the very least, which may be because we are taking what the Mabinogi GMs said out of context, which may have meant multiple accounts in themselves, but not simultaneous logins. Besides that, I see no moral distinction between the two.

It is the difference between killing a person with a gun and killing a person with a knife. Murder is still murder.

Now if they are both used to reward spam with alts, a commonly cited reason for disallowing the multiclienting and not including it in past updates, then I ask "How is it any different than using different computers?"

I think the reasoning here matters, because I cannot come up with an abuse done by multiclienting that could not be done with multiple computers, nor do I believe that multi-clienting in itself is "bad" compared to multiple computers simultaneously running alts.
    AlmostNotsuper
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba

This is exactly what Iyasenu meant. If you don't report them, you're part of the problem. Perhaps you don't see it as a problem, though.

In any case, reporting is the only reasonable course of action for one who does see this as an issue. I like to think that people don't just instantly get banned with no investigation when they're reported, so it's not as if you're likely to inconvenience someone who isn't doing anything they shouldn't. If you just let them be, then you're knowingly allowing this to continue.

What is wrong with reporting this people if they look suspicious?

I don't see it as a problem because there are far more important things that people should report and bring to nexon's attention. Stuff like, reporting harassment, and people who use mod's to harm the game and the players. Those are the kinds of things people should report and 'flood' the ticket system with, Let nexon focus on the more important things first. I would much rather report that, than make a judgement call and accidently report someone who is running multi computers.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited March 31, 2017
    For me using multiple computers to log in Mabinogi with dummy accounts for more loot is same as using multiple clients with dummy accounts on one computer. The outcome is still same. The player gets more gold and loot in really short time, which is still really unfair in this case. So i really don't like people who use/have multiple dummy accounts and use it to collect more gold, loot and event items. Like seriously, after 9th Anniversary Hot Time event we had some shops in Belvast with FULL bag of various Direct Dyes.
    edited March 31, 2017
    I don't see it as a problem because there are far more important things that people should report and bring to nexon's attention. Stuff like, reporting harassment, and people who use mod's to harm the game and the players. Those are the kinds of things people should report and 'flood' the ticket system with, Let nexon focus on the more important things first. I would much rather report that, than make a judgement call and accidently report someone who is running multi computers.

1."It's not a problem because there are other problems." You can say it's less important, but to say that it's not a problem makes no sense. Then again, maybe you didn't mean this and I'm being too picky over your wording.

2.This is why reports and tickets are put into categories. While I'm sure Nexon doesn't expect you to go reporting everyone willy nilly just for fun, I'm sure they're capable of sorting through actual reports and tickets to get to the important stuff themselves.
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    edited March 31, 2017
    Where? Please show us that Nexon said this. Further, please show where they specifically said that it's OK for one person to run mabi on multiple computers at the same time.

Would love to, but it was 1-2 years ago when someone asked on the old forums which they've removed with the introduction of these current forums.

Greta wrote: »
    For me using multiple computers to log in Mabinogi with dummy accounts for more loot is same as using multiple clients with dummy accounts on one computer. The outcome is still same. The player gets more gold and loot in really short time, which is still really unfair in this case. So i really don't like people who use/have multiple dummy accounts and use it to collect more gold, loot and event items. Like seriously, after 9th Anniversary Hot Time event we had some shops in Belvast with FULL bag of various Direct Dyes.

There is a difference though as was said to run multiple instances on one PC you need to mod it to not look for the other instances where they are VERY much against mods of any type.

Exactly
    In all honesty they just seem to want an old fashioned witch hunt.
    Best one prove it is the same player, and not multiple people using one internet connection too. So imagine if they start banning people logged on from one IP with multiple comps, and they start banning those people who have family members that play.