Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge

Comments

• FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    The only reason I would ever want a server merge is if I could keep all the names for my characters and pets (that includes all the names on my alt accounts and their pets also) My guild name, my family name, the same date me and my boyfriend married, all my items, all my AP, all my levels all my gold. I don't want anyone else having the same as me. I also dont want no Server tag beside my name. Everything must stay the complete same. But alot of this would not work, so I am against this.
    BerryswirlGretaSherri
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    After reading the comments here, I kinda want this just because so many people don't want it.

It really is unrealistic though.
    Tairiku
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited April 19, 2017
    Absolutely not.

There's only one thing that comes after a server merge regarding the state of the game; end of game.

Meaning that, if a server merger doesn't solve the problem, then the game is likely at its end.
    I think I speak for a large portion of the players when I say the game is Dead. The server channels are empty and there arent enough players to fill them. I believe it is time that nexon does us a favor and merges the servers!

Don't speak for other people. You'll often find out how severely wrong you are the hard and painful way.
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    I think I speak for a large portion of the players when I say the game is Dead. The server channels are empty and there arent enough players to fill them. I believe it is time that nexon does us a favor and merges the servers!

If you think the game is dead, you're probably not looking on the right channels for the different servers. Honestly, I'm very against a merge due to the whole name thing being a huge issue, and let's not forget all the giant issues that will arise with banks and especially the wardrobe system. And please, don't say that you think you 'speak for a large portion of players." It is possible it's a majority and there may be different reasons, most likely not the same as yours, but don't lump everyone together. Making such generalized remarks is, I'm sorry to say, leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

Now, if Nexon did something similar to what Blizzard did with their low-population servers for WoW while also addressing over-population of certain areas (Cross-Realming and Sharding, both of which are temporary and would have to have special rules written for them when it came to loot sharing... Oh, the mess that would be on its own. Think you can comparing the Sharding system to that of channels but without actually changing channels), then maybe we won't have such an issue with population, but with how the Nexon did Mabi's system, I'm not even sure if the idea of Cross-Realming would even be possible...
    GretaShawnH16
  • WithYouWithYou
    Mabinogi Rep: 410
    edited April 23, 2017
    This game is extremely dead. Speaking on Mari here. I have never seen it so dead in my entire mabi life years of playing/ i been playing since beta and this is sad. At least make a mega server . But NA MABI is the only one that has YET to have a server merge. all other mabi (China, KR) etc have had a merge. China just had a merge recently this December 14th.
    So what is the hold up? I understand it takes work, but the game is dead. If done correctly, there should be no issues.
    kapapa
  • TsumukuTsumuku
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,610
    What is it exactly that you mean by "Megaserver". What you're describing sounds like a virtualized server environment, which is exactly what Nexon NA currently does for it's games. This transition was done near the end of 2010 when Nexon's IT head partnered with Dell and VMWare to launch their services on ESXi. It was right at the time that redistributed IP addresses once belonging to Mabinogi Channels to Vindictus, and upped the channel counts across all Mabinogi server. Right now, as it appears, Ch.H + Ch.1->Ch.3 are one cluster, and Ch.4->Ch.7 are the other for every server group.
    The only thing that I'm hearing as a difference is that you're expecting an increase in spawn rate. This increase may not be desirable.
    I also saw a call asking others how their experience was on other games with a system like this. That is a subjective opinion based on the performance of a game that was built to thrive in this type of an environment. Given the age of Mabi, and the way that the client is written, I don't think that it would be a far stretch of the imagination that it isn't a highly parallelized server environment, and that it would prefer high clock speeds over high core count, meaning that more modern server CPUs aren't going to provide the performance benefits that you're looking for.
    I would suggest a system which works a little more like Tera, where you have seamless server switching by zone and then you can choose channels within that Zone. However, such a system would require nearly a rewrite of Mabi, or at worst a hobgobbled hack of a solution that would have no real concept of stability.
    Personally, given the way that I understand Mabi to work, I would go for a slow thought out migration of servers. If during every maintenance they added 1 hour where they brought over characters and recreated the bank, targeting the most active players first, it may come out okay. I can't imagine that it would be terribly difficult to make a script that backups the database containing characters, compiles a list of size X for players Y. Iterates through players, logging it's activity, creating that character on the migration server with a new bank tab for it and takes 1/(Character Count) gold from the players bank to deposit in the new server. Handling name conflicts wouldn't be terrible if you made the players aware of the change that was coming, let the player that is less active know that if they don't respond by the next maintenance with a new name that doesn't conflict their name will be suffixed with a number.
    It's not a perfect solution, but it does let the transition occur more smoothly than it otherwise would. There may still be some issues with Homesteads, and marriages.
    For someone in my position I would prefer having to redo a few steps in place of losing my levels and AP hoarding.
    kapapa
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    WithYou wrote: »
    This game is extremely dead. Speaking on Mari here. I have never seen it so dead in my entire mabi life years of playing/ i been playing since beta and this is sad. At least make a mega server . But NA MABI is the only one that has YET to have a server merge. all other mabi (China, KR) etc have had a merge. China just had a merge recently this December 14th.
    So what is the hold up? I understand it takes work, but the game is dead. If done correctly, there should be no issues.

Yes, if done correctly.

Problem is, Nexon can't do it correctly, most likely.
    Tairiku
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited April 25, 2017
    Tsumuku wrote: »
    What is it exactly that you mean by "Megaserver". What you're describing sounds like a virtualized server environment, which is exactly what Nexon NA currently does for it's games. This transition was done near the end of 2010 when Nexon's IT head partnered with Dell and VMWare to launch their services on ESXi. It was right at the time that redistributed IP addresses once belonging to Mabinogi Channels to Vindictus, and upped the channel counts across all Mabinogi server. Right now, as it appears, Ch.H + Ch.1->Ch.3 are one cluster, and Ch.4->Ch.7 are the other for every server group.
    The only thing that I'm hearing as a difference is that you're expecting an increase in spawn rate. This increase may not be desirable.
    I also saw a call asking others how their experience was on other games with a system like this. That is a subjective opinion based on the performance of a game that was built to thrive in this type of an environment. Given the age of Mabi, and the way that the client is written, I don't think that it would be a far stretch of the imagination that it isn't a highly parallelized server environment, and that it would prefer high clock speeds over high core count, meaning that more modern server CPUs aren't going to provide the performance benefits that you're looking for.
    I would suggest a system which works a little more like Tera, where you have seamless server switching by zone and then you can choose channels within that Zone. However, such a system would require nearly a rewrite of Mabi, or at worst a hobgobbled hack of a solution that would have no real concept of stability.
    Personally, given the way that I understand Mabi to work, I would go for a slow thought out migration of servers. If during every maintenance they added 1 hour where they brought over characters and recreated the bank, targeting the most active players first, it may come out okay. I can't imagine that it would be terribly difficult to make a script that backups the database containing characters, compiles a list of size X for players Y. Iterates through players, logging it's activity, creating that character on the migration server with a new bank tab for it and takes 1/(Character Count) gold from the players bank to deposit in the new server. Handling name conflicts wouldn't be terrible if you made the players aware of the change that was coming, let the player that is less active know that if they don't respond by the next maintenance with a new name that doesn't conflict their name will be suffixed with a number.
    It's not a perfect solution, but it does let the transition occur more smoothly than it otherwise would. There may still be some issues with Homesteads, and marriages.
    For someone in my position I would prefer having to redo a few steps in place of losing my levels and AP hoarding.

This sums it up, but any spawn rates are up to Devs to decide. We might even get specialized dungeons if material grinding seems like a problem.
    07a70aaddd7247dea887b785c228ceb0.png

• HyoukazeHyoukaze
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I think there definitely should be something done, especially regarding the lower population servers. MegaServer sounds great to me but if that cant be done then at least merging two servers.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,155
    I'm all for this, always have been for YEARS. I just want to keep my name Gaea that I have had for 9 years. I don't care if I have to change all my pets names (which should be held in a separate index to player's name btw, like they have on Vindictus). And the seal breakers need to get over losing their special snowflake titles for the greater good.

OR as I mentioned before because awarding custom titles is possible on here...after the server merge the original seal breakers could be given a special title; "Original [according to location] seal breaker". All the staff would have to do is take note of all the original seal breakers and dish out titles after the merge, problem solved. Plus that would give other newer players the opportunity to obtain seal breaker titles.

Everything else we just need to let go and reform to make it simple.

#makemabigreatagain
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Gaea wrote: »
    I'm all for this, always have been for YEARS. I just want to keep my name Gaea that I have had for 9 years. I don't care if I have to change all my pets names (which should be held in a separate index to player's name btw, like they have on Vindictus). And the seal breakers need to get over losing their special snowflake titles for the greater good.

OR as I mentioned before because awarding custom titles is possible on here...after the server merge the original seal breakers could be given a special title; "Original [according to location] seal breaker". All the staff would have to do is take note of all the original seal breakers and dish out titles after the merge, problem solved. Plus that would give other newer players the opportunity to obtain seal breaker titles.

#makemabigreatagain

You're practically telling people who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on this game to get over it because they most likely will lose all of it during a server merge.
    GretaTairikuSherri
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki

#makemabigreatagain

I've spent a lot of money on this game, so I'd appreciate it if I could keep my stuff. If you want to give up all your stuff, then go ahead, be my guest, but don't screw the rest of us over because you feel lonely.
    TairikuSherri
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    I've spent a lot of money on this game, so I'd appreciate it if I could keep my stuff. If you want to give up all your stuff, then go ahead, be my guest, but don't screw the rest of us over because you feel lonely.

I'm pretty sure you'll get to keep all the stuffs you have in game, just the people who broke the seal stones will lose the 'status' thingy... that's it - I do wonder where the heck are people getting the idea that they lose ALL the stuffs upon server merge?

Anyway, as I have stated in my previous post, I have been supporting all 4 servers being merged into 1, it's just that... I'm not sure if Nexon are able to do it. However, I'd like to add that as of last few weeks recently, I have been meeting 'new' players who said that they're starting over in Alexina and came from Tarlach, Ruairi, or Mari server because they claim that those 3 servers are too dead... some of them even said they ditched their main and all the pets because the server were too dead and that Alexina is the only active server.
    kapapa
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,155
    edited May 2, 2017
    Opalthira wrote: »

#makemabigreatagain

You're practically telling people who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on this game to get over it because they most likely will lose all of it during a server merge.

Did you pay 100's or 1000's of dollars for a seal breaker title? No one is going to lose any of their items or pets. If something unforeseen happens your stuff can be restored. :|
    Zeo wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you'll get to keep all the stuffs you have in game, just the people who broke the seal stones will lose the 'status' thingy... that's it - I do wonder where the heck are people getting the idea that they lose ALL the stuffs upon server merge?

Anyway, as I have stated in my previous post, I have been supporting all 4 servers being merged into 1, it's just that... I'm not sure if Nexon are able to do it. However, I'd like to add that as of last few weeks recently, I have been meeting 'new' players who said that they're starting over in Alexina and came from Tarlach, Ruairi, or Mari server because they claim that those 3 servers are too dead... some of them even said they ditched their main and all the pets because the server were too dead and that Alexina is the only active server.

Yeah because continuously over the years people keep getting brain washed.
    ZeoGreta
  • GensomadenGensomaden
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    edited May 7, 2017
    can we merge tarlach and alexina servers.
  • YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Gensomaden wrote: »
    can we merge tarlach and alexina servers.
    No offense to Alexina, but I'd rather not have our server merged with them.

-Sincerely

A Tarlach Player
    TairikuWolfandWolfSherriNilremkapapaSatsuko
  • healruairihealruairi
    Mabinogi Rep: 830
    I agree we need a server merge. This game is nothing without community and it feels like there is just not enough people playing. Not to mention the maps are so freaking large for such a little amount of people...

I like the idea of a original server permanent title. When mailing, adding or sending a note you should just be able to pick the original server such as when you add a friend.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    the number of players is slowly decreasing and most of them are either in Dunbarton or Tir. we need a server merge and something big in Iria so we can get some players to that empty continent.
    healruairi
  • KaisKais
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,140
    Oh wow! The forum layout has changed. I haven't forum for years. I like staying in Mari server but I don't mind a server merge and keeping my dressing room items. If there is ever going to be a merger, it would probably merge the 3 low populated servers.. Also if you really think about it, those three servers are named after The Three Lost Warriors. Seeing as Ruairi is dead and Young Tarlach was a memory clone, the new server name should not be Mari as she has also died, but as we all know her as, Nao. So ya. If there is ever going to be a merger, I would love the new server name to be Nao.
  • NamiriNamiri
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,700
    I think a server merger would be a good idea if it's merging the 3 lowest population servers into one server. Well that and if they can do the merger in a way that doesn't cause people to lose things in their dressing room. Since honestly the population on smaller servers like Ruairi has gotten pretty dead outside of Channel 1. To the point where all other channels kind of feel like empty ghost towns.