Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

why Mabi is no longer fun.

FidensFidens
Mabinogi Rep: 310
edited April 29, 2017 in General Chat
a long time ago Mabi was the best F2P MMO. but that was a long ago. it's still an okay MMO but i haven't enjoyed Mabi in years.

there were many things that made Mabi great but above all else i think the combat and leveling system is what made Mabi stand out. i also feel that the recent updates over the last 4-5 years are what ruined this. let me explain why i liked the combat and leveling system so much.

the combat is more slow paced, requiring a more tactical approach. this allows weaker players to take on stronger enemies as long as they can keep their wits about them. this is also what i feel that recent updates have ruined by adding new, faster paced skills.

the leveling system is rather interesting. it features a mechanic called Rebirth which allows you to reset your level to 1 and all the stats you gained from leveling up is also reset. you might think this mechanic is pointless if all your stats are reset however every time you level up you gain an ability point which you can use to increase the rank of your skills. you also level up faster at lower level so using the rebirth system often allows you to gain ability points faster. increasing the rank of your skills doesn't just make those skills better, most of them will also increase your stats and these stat increase are not reset when you use the rebirth system.

with the way these 2 mechanics worked it removed a problem i have with other MMOs. when i played Blade and Soul i was always playing it alone. it's an MMO so i want to be playing it with my friends but no, my friends who started out before me were many levels ahead of me and those that started after me progressed through the game much faster than me. because of this i was always alone and it's not just Blade and Soul, i've had this problem with other MMOs. i can't just ask higher leveled players to come to areas for lower leveled players just to hang out with me cause then they'd be bored by fighting underwhelming enemies, they'd gain nothing worthwhile out of it and because they'd one shot everything i wouldn't be able to do anything and i can't just go where they are cause then all i could do is just stand there contributing nothing till my level catches up plus i'd be skipping a huge portion of the game which is not something i like to do.

with Mabi's combat and leveling system i could feel like an equal with other players even if there was huge difference in how strong we were. while there were times i went solo i found that i played with others more often in Mabi than i ever did with any other MMOs out there. i wish more MMOs were like this cause i don't feel much like playing Mabi anymore. most of my friends barely ever log on anymore and when they do i don't think it's because they want to but rather it's because Mabi is mainly where our guild gathers.

when it first came out Mabi was ahead of it's time. but the times eventually surpassed Mabi and i feel it failed to keep up with the times. as it currently stands no updates could fix how bad Mabi has become. the past 4-5 years mostly feels like a failed attempt to do so.

a lot of people are probably gonna hate me for suggesting this, and i highly doubt it'll happen, but i honestly wish the developers would shut down Mabi and start over from scratch. making a modern, F2P MMO that has the same appeal that Mabi once had back when it was great. keeping an outdated MMO running when it feels like it's just getting worse and worse seems pointless.

this whole thing has been nothing but a complaint from me that's probably gonna piss off a lot of people and get a lot of backlash. for all of you who disagree with me let me make it clear. if you still like Mabi then good for you. it doesn't bother me one bit what other people like or dislike. my intent with this was to get people thinking about where Mabi's going from here on out and open up discussions about whether Mabi's getting better or worse? i've already made it clear what my opinion on that is.
Hiroki05

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    So, aside from the melee combat, which is now a bash spam and final hitting, what is your problem with the current rebirth leveling system? It does not say. it is still essentially the same from what I have seen, if not better.

First off, the three weeks was shortened to one week. That is a good thing, because three weeks is too long.
    Second, Potential made it beneficial to spam past level 100. The leveling stat bonuses past 100 are hardly worth it when you inevitably reach a level far too high.

I am not what to think. I dislike things like pet spamming, but quite honestly, that does not affect me a whole lot, though lullaby is indeed too overpowered.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    If you don't like a game, then you move on to the next. Rather than wasting your time complaining on a game you don't want to play anymore, go find another game that you want to play that'll satisfy your current interests.
  • FidensFidens
    edited April 29, 2017
    So, aside from the melee combat, which is now a bash spam and final hitting, what is your problem with the current rebirth leveling system? It does not say. it is still essentially the same from what I have seen, if not better.

First off, the three weeks was shortened to one week. That is a good thing, because three weeks is too long.
    Second, Potential made it beneficial to spam past level 100. The leveling stat bonuses past 100 are hardly worth it when you inevitably reach a level far too high.

I am not what to think. I dislike things like pet spamming, but quite honestly, that does not affect me a whole lot, though lullaby is indeed too overpowered.

i have no problem with the leveling system, i mean i didn't criticize it. since i was writing about what made Mabi great i guess i just figured i'd put it in there.
  • FidensFidens
    edited April 29, 2017
    Pan wrote: »
    If you don't like a game, then you move on to the next. Rather than wasting your time complaining on a game you don't want to play anymore, go find another game that you want to play that'll satisfy your current interests.

the point of criticizing something is the hope that it'll be improved. as i stated to me Mabi feels like it's getting worse and worse and although i don't think it can be fixed i do think other things could be done. thus why i said that i wish the developers would shut down Mabi and start fresh. creating a spiritual successor that could be just as great as Mabi used to be if not better.

Mabi first came out in 2004. by modern standards it's quite outdated.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Pan wrote: »

We have to complain, because the KR devs like bragging that Mabinogi being a sandbox MMO makes anything possible, yet they cannot provide NA with the necessary resources to develop new and exciting content and innovative features. For years after the very development of homesteads, the player could not even enter the homestead house, which at this point we only have the greenhouse as a tiny step in the right direction. Not only that, but many old skills have been neglected, and many of the features KR has on the drawing board has not even been completed yet, further showing that they cannot properly divide tasks among branches as a global company. Mabinogi thrived for up to 5 or 6 years after launch in NA, however it fell just as quickly as the company performance. This isn't just about Mabinogi's lack of updates anymore, it's about how Nexon as a company has failed to properly develop and run Mabinogi. That's why most veteran players say that it would be for the best if Mabinogi would ever shut down.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    edited April 29, 2017
    Fidens wrote: »
    the point of criticizing something is the hope that it'll be improved. as i stated to me Mabi feels like it's getting worse and worse and although i don't think it can be fixed i do think other things could be done. thus why i said that i wish the developers would shut down Mabi and start fresh. creating a spiritual successor that could be just as great as Mabi used to be if not better.

You have to go with the flow of the game just like you have to go with the flow of life. There's going to be stuff you won't like and it's not your decision to decide whether it was right or not. You work around these things and do what you can. For example, if a person doesn't like the way a country is being ran, you can move out or do the best you can to work with it and continue your daily life.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited April 29, 2017
    If you don't like the game because it's outdated and such then you should just move on and play newest games. Some people prefer older games more and you shouldn't say such thing like shutting down the game just because it's too outdated. Your mother is getting old too, maybe you should replace her into a young one too then? Lol, i'm kidding.
    Negumiko
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Mabi is no longer fun because you make it no longer fun. You yourself is the only reason why it isn't fun for you.
    AmixiaoCrimsọnAquasolPolicromaZephyrsongishnotmehOptoid
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425

i have no problem with the leveling system, i mean i didn't criticize it. since i was writing about what made Mabi great i guess i just figured i'd put it in there.

I think it is more imperative to write what went wrong in my humble opinion.
  • FidensFidens

I think it is more imperative to write what went wrong in my humble opinion.

yes i agree. i could've written this whole thing much better.
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    Your post is all over the place with no cohesive direction. Are you describing Mabi? Criticizing it? You want it to be better? You like the rebirth system but you also do not like it? Its a bunch of ramblings. Also: run on sentence in paragraph five.
    Twelie
  • SutaruSutaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    I honestly still love Mabi and I have been playing it since the beginning. Its still better than a lot of newly released MMOs because of its leveling and class systems. I think shutting down the game and starting from scratch would anger a lot of people. I know I would be devastated after all the time, hard work, and money I have put into my account.
    Greta
  • ShadowamiShadowami
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,720
    Ultimately I think it boils down to population divided among servers. I think I'll have to throw my support behind the server merge idea that's been all over the forums for years. Other than that, I still love the game myself.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Greta wrote: »
    If you don't like the game because it's outdated and such then you should just move on and play newest games. Some people prefer older games more and you shouldn't say such thing like shutting down the game just because it's too outdated. Your mother is getting old too, maybe you should replace her into a young one too then? Lol, i'm kidding.

lol good idea :) *puts my mother in a wooden crate* do you know where I can exchange this for a newer model? XD but jokes aside just cause a game is old doesn't mean it is horrible and not worth playing anymore. there are lots of unique features in mabi that make it far better then a lot of new boring mmos and many players would be against the team just giving up and shutting it down. I think of my character as a extension of who I am. we log in and work on shadow missions, do story quests, play music, work on the current events and so much more. mabi works a lot like the real word does. live your life and enjoy it good parts and bad or don't and find a world you are more comfortable in.
    Greta
  • BippiBippi
    Mabinogi Rep: 850
    Personally, as a veteran (moved from Tarlach), I'm way more appreciative of the memories I've made with the game than I am being mad at it for not advancing to be up to snuff. I felt the same way as I did with Nexon's Maplestory in that I simply outgrew the game and had to move on.

Mabinogi, however, will always bring me back... I always come back... xc
  • FilthyRedDevilFilthyRedDevil
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    HAH! What a weak groupie.

SOLOIST4LIFE!!
  • YellowBinYellowBin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
    Despite being an "outdated mmo" is still is considerably one of the best in its niche of a genre.

I have yet to see a game that offers what mabi offers better.

Tried Arche Age. I couldn't get into it.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    YellowBin wrote: »
    Despite being an "outdated mmo" is still is considerably one of the best in its niche of a genre.

Same. I tried Blade and Soul, Aura Kingdom, Revelation Online and so on... After few days/weeks these games got so boring, it even caused me a headache when playing after few hours. It only offered nice graphics, amazing effects in combat and well... oversexualized characters with neat customization. That's all. All you have to do in these games is attack, kill, farm and bring something to NPC. I never get too attached in such games.
    NegumikoXiokun
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Greta wrote: »
    YellowBin wrote: »

Same. I tried Blade and Soul, Aura Kingdom, Revelation Online and so on... After few days/weeks these games got so boring, it even caused me a headache when playing after few hours. It only offered nice graphics, amazing effects in combat and well... oversexualized characters with neat customization. That's all. All you have to do in these games is attack, kill, farm and bring something to NPC. I never get too attached in such games.

most mmo games just seem boring compared to mabi and most of them feel like the same game over and over again with a different name. the only fairly new mmo that gives me a similar feeling to mabi in some ways is a game called Twin Saga. but even then mabi still wins simply cause it has more content and more unique features then most mmo games.
    Greta
  • UberchaoUberchao
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,590
    edited April 30, 2017
    I just hate reaching the boss room only to watch a single human go ham on a boss for 5-20 seconds and murderize it with Final Hit, sometimes Bash applies too. And I hate that people will spend great amounts of money just to get such reforges. Why would you deliberately trivialize the game? How is it fun by the time you're just FHing all of Peaca Abyss to death? Also I hate reforges and the insane cost to them. If you don't have any, you will be grossly outmatched by most others at endgame level.

Anyway I actually haven't gotten Bash yet, I had it on my old human, but learning of it, I vehemently reject it and will not use it, as it trivializes the vast majority of one-on-one encounters. But you can't impose such rules on other people, which means I gotta live with watching other party members spam it against everything until it dies. Just why on earth would they invent a skill that goes against absolutely every standard the combat system set in place, anyway? A combat system where skills are supposed to have specific uses, can counter others and be countered. I'm still livid.

Also I have no clue why on earth a Giant buff is on the way. Giants are already the most broken aside from FH, and it's okay to not be of the highest DPS because we're still hella tanky and can wield 2handers and shields at the same time, in addition to substantial bonuses to many melee skills.
    AlmostNotsuperDaktaro
This discussion has been closed.