Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

why Mabi is no longer fun.

Comments

• PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    There seem to be two different discussions in this thread... Whether or not humans are overpowered, and whether or not the game is "fun" anymore, partially due to content being either too difficult or not enough...

I'm just gonna lay the human one flat: Yes, they're overpowered right now. Personally I don't like nerfs, even if people depend far too much on final hit and bash. But players brute forcing everything is nothing new. I remember people using archery like melee and then complaining when they got tossed around... It's not designed to work like that. (Utterly no excuse for this now that we have vision of Ladeca.) But the giants are getting a refresh and I can only take that as Nexon attempting to rebalance the races... which I think will be better off in the end.

I think it is worth noting that bash has a horrendous weakness: It can only hit one enemy at a time. If you're trying to work with multi-aggro, it may not be the best skill. I feel the trade of safety for extreme damage, and the fact that all races get it, makes it at least somewhat balanced, and if the giant refresh in Korea is any indicator, other races should eventually get access to bash-enhancing weapons. I feel like there's no real point in making a fuss about bash.

If anybody's really got that much dps envy... just do magic. It practically levels itself and everyone can do it. Repetitive hits of hailstorm at 20k+ damage (And no cooldown!) are pretty useful IMO, but chaincasting wands are fun as well. (And no reforges needed for that kind of damage.)

Now, for "fun"...

The whole time I've been in mabinogi, my "fun" has been to push my own character to see what I could pull off. It doesn't have to be what everybody else thinks is "good" or worth my time. (For this reason, I hang mostly around good friends and tend to solo.) It simply means I find a goal and try to achieve it.

My options are admittedly limited. I am a working mother with a shift that does not match up with the "primetime" of most MMOs. Before my shift, I usually am working on teaching the kid reading or otherwise working with him. I try not to get into anything too big involving a group because I might have to leave at any second. By the time I get home from work, I'm beat and I usually don't want to run anything. So most of what I do is crammed into weekend nights. I try to make it that time worth it. But I still enjoy it.

Thing is, you have to find your own fun in games like these. You either get dragged along with everybody else (like a herd of cattle), or you make it your own. If you fun depends on everyone else, you won't have any. It doesn't matter what the content or lore is, an MMO is basically a playground. Mabi is probably the most open of these playgrounds at this time, with limited rules. But that also means not everything is going to be handed to you.

Look at the post above with people messing around with Explosive Kunai. That's not content. It wasn't handed to the people doing it. It's people taking the tools in front of them and just having a good time. There's a character I know who is more into dueling than any PvE content in mabi. He's figured tons of freakish tricks based on the animation frames and their timing. He's always on the hunt for more tricks, and has figured counters for every cheese-move out there. Once again, that wasn't handed to him. He made it his own. His biggest hope is that other players start doing the same.

If you want to have fun, look beyond all the unfair stuff people complain about, and set a challenge for yourself and see if you can do it. If you can't, see what you need to do to meet that challenge. You can do it alone or with friends. But it is completely your own.
    YokkaichiSirRyuHiroki05
  • VenenatisVenenatis
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,255
    this whole post sounds like someone about to praise that horrible mabinogi private server that people never shut up about. PS are nothing but a nostalgia trip, and I'm pretty sure no one wants to go back to every skillset being worthless except windmill spam
    GretaMey
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited May 1, 2017
    Venenatis wrote: »
    this whole post sounds like someone about to praise that horrible mabinogi private server that people never shut up about. PS are nothing but a nostalgia trip, and I'm pretty sure no one wants to go back to every skillset being worthless except windmill spam

Thank you for saying this. I thought about this too when i saw this thread, but i wasn't brave enough to bring that up here lol.

• FidensFidens
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    anyone know how to delete this entire forum post?

when i started it i knew what point i wanted to make but i wasn't sure how to say it. it's become clear that my poor choice of words has caused misunderstandings. i'm considering starting this whole discussion all over again only this time i'd make sure to be careful of how i write it so that i get my point across properly.

just in case. i'll say what points i wanted to make right now.

when i started playing Mabi i enjoyed every moment of it back then and i stuck with Mabi longer than any other MMO i've ever played.

now however, i barely ever log on anymore and very much don't want to.

what made Mabi so appealing? why is that appeal gone? is Mabi getting worse? can it's problems be fixed?

my intent with this whole thing was to encourage debates and discussions about that.

(and before anyone says it, yes i'm terrible at getting my points across. i cause misunderstandings often. no point bringing it up.)
  • LhakrymaLhakryma
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    Mabinogi is just as fun as it was before, arguably even more so.
    You comlain that it's too easy? Well, start a new character! Go through the generations again on the new character! Sure it isn't as hard as they were when those generations were latest news (remember needing really good people to kill Glas? Remember pala actually being an achievement and something to be proud of? remember ideals? xD).

Of course the older gens will be easier as the game ages, I mean, it would completely SUCK if the older gens were hard as well, you'd get no sense of progression.

As for all the "op items and stuff", the problem here is that you're looking from the perspective of a player that's been playing the game for quite a while now, and even if you do start a new character, changes are you're going to gear the living shait out of it anyway. But take a moment and think about it from a new player's perspective, where they don't know too much about the game, everything is a new experience and they don't have access to OP items.

What you're complaining about here happens in literally EVERY MMO because it's a direct consequence of PLAYING THE GAME.

Here's a good example: Remember G1 and it's gem dungeons from Albey? They were amazing and really well thought and, for it's time, REALLY HARD. You NEEDED a party to do it the first time around. But the thing is, since it was new, there were A LOT OF PEOPLE there.
    Now think about it in G20. What if they left it like that, or scaled it with the new balance updates? Who would be able to do it? Remember, there are a few HUNDRED more activities/dungeons where people will go and hardly anybody will do G1 again. Would you like it if you had to wait a few days just to finish those dungeons because they're too hard to do on your own?
    Greta
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Fidens wrote: »
    anyone know how to delete this entire forum post?

when i started it i knew what point i wanted to make but i wasn't sure how to say it. it's become clear that my poor choice of words has caused misunderstandings. i'm considering starting this whole discussion all over again only this time i'd make sure to be careful of how i write it so that i get my point across properly.

just in case. i'll say what points i wanted to make right now.

when i started playing Mabi i enjoyed every moment of it back then and i stuck with Mabi longer than any other MMO i've ever played.

now however, i barely ever log on anymore and very much don't want to.

what made Mabi so appealing? why is that appeal gone? is Mabi getting worse? can it's problems be fixed?

my intent with this whole thing was to encourage debates and discussions about that.

(and before anyone says it, yes i'm terrible at getting my points across. i cause misunderstandings often. no point bringing it up.)

I believe you have to ask a moderator. No regular user has permission, even for their own thread. One usually asks them by reporting the opening topic asking it to close their own thread.
This discussion has been closed.