Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Making friends

Comments

• UberchaoUberchao
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,590
    Nilrem wrote: »
    That, and I often have fun with the fact I'm a giant that looks like a succubus, and then whenever someone hits on me I mentioned I married a player after beating him to death with a giant log in a duel.

This is goddamn inspiring. Makes me want to make someone duel me for my hand in marriage or something, or vice versa. If I'm ever in that sort of mood.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    That, and I often have fun with the fact I'm a giant that looks like a succubus, and then whenever someone hits on me I mentioned I married a player after beating him to death with a giant log in a duel.
    The reactions tend to be amusing.
    And sometimes leads to a humorous friendship.

I like to talk about my day, interests, how long I've been on Mabinogi, amoung other things. One thing I most certainly like to do is;
    時々、私はマビノギで 日本語を 話すことが 大好きが たくさん人は 日本語をしらない。だから、その人は日本語かアニメが 好きと 私と 友達に なる!
    [Sometimes, In Mabinogi I love to speak Japanese, but a lot of people don't know Japanese. Because of that, if the people like Japanese and anime, we'll become friends!]
    - sorry if my Japanese is bad -
  • YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Xiokun wrote: »

I like to talk about my day, interests, how long I've been on Mabinogi, amoung other things. One thing I most certainly like to do is;
    [Sometimes, In Mabinogi I love to speak Japanese, but a lot of people don't know Japanese. Because of that, if the people like Japanese and anime, we'll become friends!]
    Your Japanese is fine, I could read it well
    私も日本語を話せる。でも、マビノギの中にたいてい話さない。だれも分からないから。
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Join a guild. That's where it starts.
  • InaIna
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    Oh wow i didnt expect to see so many messages when i checked back! :0 and man there are a ton of tips too! :D
    I know i did try out the banquet for a bit last week. I ended up sitting alone most of the time and easvedropping on the family sitting next to me lol. I did say one thing though when one of them played a song that I knew but couldnt place my finger on until they told the title, but i mean, its a start for anxious me.
    Currently I am in a guild, but its dead and i cant quit since the creator lost VIP stuff or whatever its called. I do know i can just send a ticket to nexon to leave the guild since its broken on the site haha, but i guess i could search for friendly guild in the meantime.
    sadly i dont use facebook, but i have been meaning to try to use it again since some developers of a game i liked a year ago were much more active on there than they were where i watched them, guess mabi could be another reason to get back into it.
    I was a bit worried about doing the dungeon party thing, but i guess if people have had good experiences with it that'll ease my anxiety a lot .v.

I definitely try to compliment people when i really like their ensemble! though usually i just like complimenting people over using that as a way to befriend them, but hey two birds with one stone.
    and ive always wanted to be more eccentric online, my anxiety just really holds me back there xox but thats just a super big me problem ive been trying to solve for a while
    i would buy things if i wasnt broke though haha, i know sm can get you a nice sum but ive also been focusing more on life skills than i have combat so im not the best at that lol
    Greta wrote: »
    I lately noticed a huge tendency from some players who randomly try to make new friends only for hopes of getting free "stuff". They like to target rich and strong looking players, trying to communicate with them as much as possible while asking random questions like what are you doing and such. They also try to point out that they are bored/have nothing to do and proceeds to ask same questions, kinda hinting that they want to hang out or they need easy help. At least that's what happened to me lately. After i got some latest fashion stuff and started to afk in ch1 public places, i noticed getting a huge attention from random players. I guess i understand now why some players avoid ch1 lol.
    to be honest i wont lie by saying i did low key sorta hope if i made friends they gave me stuff. i mean, who doesnt want free things? but i really do just want to have a lot of fun with other people in the game, instead of logging in, doing whatever event is available and then logging out cause i dont have anything to do.
    im too anxious to ask for anything anyways lol

but gosh guys thank you so much for all these replies! :D ill hopefully feel much more confident finding more people to chat with .v.
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840

Be my friend. Let's practice together. :^o
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Ina wrote: »
    I lately noticed a huge tendency from some players who randomly try to make new friends only for hopes of getting free "stuff". They like to target rich and strong looking players, trying to communicate with them as much as possible while asking random questions like what are you doing and such. They also try to point out that they are bored/have nothing to do and proceeds to ask same questions, kinda hinting that they want to hang out or they need easy help. At least that's what happened to me lately. After i got some latest fashion stuff and started to afk in ch1 public places, i noticed getting a huge attention from random players. I guess i understand now why some players avoid ch1 lol.
    to be honest i wont lie by saying i did low key sorta hope if i made friends they gave me stuff. i mean, who doesnt want free things? but i really do just want to have a lot of fun with other people in the game, instead of logging in, doing whatever event is available and then logging out cause i dont have anything to do.
    As long as you keep that thought to yourself and not pester other players about it...
  • InaIna
    lol of course i would didnt i say id be too anxious too
    ive already had someone offer to give me whatever i wanted pretty much and that killed me
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    ShouK wrote: »
    Ina wrote: »
    As long as you keep that thought to yourself and not pester other players about it...

I can't blame these new players for wanting free stuff with how broken our economy is right now. I love giving items to lower levels! ^_^
    But I ain't just handin out some high end Mercedes Benz and Diamond Rolex's right out my nimbus. I give stuff like fluted swords, cheap armor and shields. Sometimes commonly dropped gacha items you can get just about anywhere or I simply didn't want. I'm not stingy about giving gifts but I ain't no sugar daddy either. >_>

Though I do like to offer all the services I can from synthing, tailoring, or just being a body guard in SM's. But most importantly, just being a pal!
    Twelie wrote: »
    Be my friend. Let's practice together. :^o

はい!たのしみにするよ! ;D
    I'm Xiokun on Server Mari if you wanna speak more Japanese together.
  • InaIna
    i cant blame you there my dude, i have seen some pretty bad beggars when i played to the point i couldnt belive my friend actually gave one something. mainly cause i have some mad disrespect to people who dont stop saying 'hiiiiiii i m new pls give me stuff :3333'
    like man ill totally accept anything if the person offers but im just not the one to ask for things
  • DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    Uberchao wrote: »
    2. Make a purchase. This isn't something I do to make friends, but there's usually some kind of two-way communication going when I make a big purchase on something. And sometimes the seller is a really nice person. Everyone expects to get lowballed in this game, so I sometimes will do the opposite and go possibly a bit above market price if I can afford it, especially if it seems like the person is in great need of money or is selling something that used to be dear to them. This might be terrible advice though, admittedly I'm a naive sap when it comes to this stuff. Anyway, if you think the seller's a cool guy, be generous in your offer and they'll know it without you saying anything further. But sometimes just the talk beforehand is enough, so whatever.

lol this. met one of my best friends in mabi cuz of shopping. i made a party ad to buy an outfit and someone messaged me they had one to sell. was gonna buy it but they weren't sure whether they really wanted to sell it or not. we started talking and it ended up with me trying to convince them not to sell instead! we became friends after that and i bought the outfit from someone else :'D

making friends randomly is the best. i'm kinda shy in game and hardly ever speak unless spoken to (asides from if i know the person real well) but even then it just happens sometimes out of nowhere. guilds, running sm with randoms, non-afk events can be good sometimes too.
  • TwelieTwelie

はい!たのしみにするよ! ;D

I'm on Alexina, but I will still add you to chat!
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

はい!たのしみにするよ! ;D

Alexina? Oh cool. I'm from there too! If you want you can add me as well~ My IGN is Gretux. Don't be shy to ask for help or just chat if you want!
  • TwelieTwelie

はい!たのしみにするよ! ;D

Alexina? Oh cool. I'm from there too! If you want you can add me as well~ My IGN is Gretux. Don't be shy to ask for help or just chat if you want!

わかりました. :^D Understood.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited May 3, 2017

Let me guess, you appeared low leveled while he was high leveled?

People really need to realize that superiority is not a moral right to treat others beneath your consideration, especially when that inferiority is concentrated in a freaking video game, of all things.

It's not even low-leveled vs. high leveled. I've noticed a tendency for people to write off folks for any number of arbitrary reasons. Heck, I recently ran into about five myself with a former guild leader while completely minding my own business. This is considering my total is 8k+ and I've been here since before Alexina opened. (Moved in when it did.)

As for the OP, if you're on Alexina, feel free to message me. (Polychrome) I'm usually pretty easygoing... I just have a lot of IRL commitments, so forgive me if I don't respond at a moment's notice. XD

Edit: On the "shopping" thing. I actually made one of my longer Mabi friends grinding up thin threads for them.
  • ZephyrsongishnotmehZephyrsongishnotmeh
    Mabinogi Rep: 750
    Liyeta wrote: »
    My tips:
    Make a dungeon party
    Then put
    LF>Friends.

I had a bit too much trouble with some of them. From my experience, half of those advertising do not have friends for a good reason. Damn depressed thirty five year olds hitting on my perfect elf waifu.

fixed

• LifeOfEricLifeOfEric
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I'm so glad I found this forum post :D

I used to play Mabi a ton when I was like 11, made a ton of friends, and had some awesome adventures. Unfortunately, it's been five years since then, so a lot of the people I knew are gone; it's like I've been in suspended animation lol. I've gotten more socially awkward since then, so I'm in a similar boat ^^;

As cheesy as it sounds, I'm ready for a new adventure! XP

Luckily, my main Character was on Alexina: Naturoxl (you can tell my eleven year old self made that name XD)

So, if you're looking for a socially awkward friend, Ina, I'm your guy! (I sent you a friend request already, I need friends >3<)
  • JunanJunan
    edited May 3, 2017
    When it comes to friends, 90% of the time they tend to be guildmates when providing them with stuff they need or providing assistance. My most recent appears to be such a person when providing Fine Handmade Arrows (went on an uber handicraft training spree making them). Or that banquet when I suddenly had the urge to practice Tagalog (aka. Filipino) to a group near some tables.

That being said, all manner of things can make friends; you just need to know what matches who.
  • OptoidOptoid
    Mabinogi Rep: 410
    I just hang out in Tir Chonail. It's where the OGs hang out and it's a great place to meet and assist new players.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 4, 2017
    Liyeta wrote: »
    My tips:
    Make a dungeon party
    Then put
    LF>Friends.

I had a bit too much trouble with some of them. From my experience, half of those advertising do not have friends for a good reason. Damn depressed thirty five year olds hitting on my perfect elf waifu.

fixed

I remember when someone offered to pay me 200k for roleplay sex while I decided "Hey, why don't I go to Channels 2-7 to see if I can help any newbs?" I closed the chat so quickly and changed channel that I forgot to report the pervert.
    Greta