Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Catching a sturgeon

Raincloud95Raincloud95
Mabinogi Rep: 1,830
in Help
I know they are just really rare, but I wanted to know if manual fishing increased the chance of getting one? I am R1 Fishing with the Nishida title equipped so I pretty much never fail autofishing, so I was wondering if when people said manual helps if it was to avoid failing, cus thats not my problem. Like, when you get the notification of the item on the hook is it already set what the item is? Should I manual fish any big catch notifications I get? I've been after this for months and I'm going a bit mad lol. Or should I manual catch everything because it might RNG a sturgeon even if it says small catch? :'(

Comments

• AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    edited May 5, 2017
    I do not believe that manual fishing increase the chances. Manual just gives you the reigns and you have to catch the fish yourself instead of depending on RNG. The sturgeon is just stupid-rare, just like the marine oyster. I recall only catching one sturgeon in my entire time playing mabi.

If you're fishing in Reus River, you may want to have a visit to a Physis Homestead and fish there since you will never need to make a new fishing hole every so often
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    No, they are just rare.
  • MarithMarith
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    Manual fishing gives higher size of fish, which is why it's recommended if you're going for stars.

If anyone's going for large sturgeons, I recommend getting some large catch bait feeders, and cancelling the fish any time you don't see "A big catch." You won't lose the bait tin unless you catch the fish/item. I only recommend that because the large catch bait feeder comes in such small quantities and is hard to stock up.
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95
    i cry because i catch LOADS of the marine pearl oysters but ive been after this lil dude for months ;-;
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    If you ask me, catching a surgeon seems harder than being a brain sturgeon. :#
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95
    edited May 5, 2017
    i caught two ethereal gem books in two days at the fishing boat but no sturgeon in months at reus or homestead :'(
  • NavinaNavina
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    I've also been trying to catch a sturgeon for days on end. It doesn't help that there are a lot of miscellaneous items for you to catch... It's the last fish I need for my journal. Are there any tips for catching him or is it really all just luck?
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    Navina wrote: »
    Are there any tips for catching him or is it really all just luck?

It's really more or less luck on if and when it will bite... X_x
    Navina